Comparison of few 14 inch tires

xebeche

35 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Took some photos trying to uploaded them here

That's a 2€ coin in a gap

Yeah - those are some major gaps. But issues I'm refereeing too (and @xebeche) are related to very narrow gaps of several (like 3 - 4) mm only ...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HEC said:

Yeah - those are some major gaps. But issues I'm refereeing too (and @xebeche) are related to very narrow gaps of several (like 3 - 4) mm only ...

Oh, you mean like those three parallel lines running off into the distance for hundreds of meters?? I slalom all over those too?

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Took some photos trying to uploaded them here

That's a 2€ coin in a gap

Those gaps between the planks don't seem like a big problem if you only need to cross them horizontally, but vertically - along your line of travel, they certainly require some serious caution regardless of the tire model.

• Upvote 1

Well, as you can see they cross the main path "vertically" every 200m or so for about 5km. So on a round trip I cross dozens of times, but like I said, my 14" Kenda seems fine, at any and all angles.  Nothing to do with me, I'm just the meat Popsicle standing on top ?+?= me.

• Upvote 1

The V5F+ always felt sticky enough on smooth ground with the older more slick tire which was great, but only on a perfect road condition. I often adjusted my paths to avoid less perfect terrain, it did feel a bit limiting at times. When I first got the wheel in July I have to admit it was not what I expected how an EUC would feel to ride. Although I didn't really know what to expect as my first wheel. The old spongy 1.95" tire that came stock felt more floaty and behaved smaller and more toyish than I expected. That being said the Msuper I got later really was more how I imagined riding an EUC would feel like. It now turns out much of that feeling was due to the tire type not only the diameter.

Now with the new H-5146 tire the V5F+ really rides more like it looks. The handling feels predictable and it rewards a smoother riding style. However some riders might not be looking for this in a 14" wheel, the 1.95" old tire had a 'fun' bouncy light thing going on.. There's always two sides of the coin and that old tire was amazingly smooth for just fooling around in an empty parking lot! I definitely do not regret upgrading it though as I use it mainly as a cruising vehicle. This new tire is more of a 'serious' rigid thing. The wheel rides like it got a little bigger and heavier with this tire. Of course I can easily throw this skinny 12kg wheel around if needed with any tire, it didn't transform into an Msuper or anything, it's still a nimble V5F+! At 45 psi (35-45 recommended) it feels pretty stiff. When dropping down curbs, the old bouncy tire still felt softer than this at 60 psi, that old tire deformed easily.. Going up curbs the new tire does not bounce back so much, it absorbs the shock more instead of acting like a spring.

I feel constantly more secure and grounded on all types of urban road conditions. When road conditions are a little worse it gives a significant edge that enables to keep going at higher speed with more traction. The most extreme improvement yet was some cobblestone streets I always avoided before. It required some extra concentration and effort to keep a straight line before, even then it was very bouncy and easily ended up wobbly! The same cobblestone streets now, no effort all stable and actually even comfortable to pass through regularly, no need to go around anymore! One of the main benefits of EUCs is to glide around freely wherever you can walk and those streets are now just another area to cruise right through! Of course I could ride there before but with the old tire I just prefered not to :) Maybe this was some type of borderline situation where the extra thickness of the tire just didn't slip down between the stones anymore.. But "directional stability" is very good elsewhere on this tire so I'm sure that also helped a lot in combination with some added width. And that knee killing vibration and bouncyness practically vanished! The traction was now pretty solid rolling over the stones instead of all the hard bouncing and twisting. For these particular streets it's a night and day difference. I can confirm excellent "impact absorption".

I'll try to give it a single number just to see how much difference a tire can make overall. Giving 10 points to Msuper v3 overall stability as that's the only other wheel I've had so it tops the scale for me. I didn't feel the sharper drop off on the sides was any issue for me on that 18" E-Bike Pro tire. But I can see how it could negatively effect such a nimble 14" wheel as the V5F+. On softer offroad surfaces the E-Bike Pro might work better than expected, if the sharp edge can dig into the ground at an angle, but maybe not. Never had a 16" wheel (yet) but I'll interpolate numbers so this little score table is more logical.. I think this displays somewhat what I think about the upgrade in general:

10 points - 18" good tire
8 points - 16" good tire
6 points - 14" good tire
5 points - 18" bad tire
4 points - 16" bad tire
3 points - 14" bad tire

So overall I'm giving double the points with the new tire, as it obviously improves my ride quality. As pointed out the tire is what connects to the ground (regardless of skill). I'm confident this wheel now rides much better overall than most other 14" and a lot of 16" wheels out there too!

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody bought a Chao-yang either 5167 or the other and would care to chime in please?

I have a cheap local tire I am considering only because a close friend put it on his 9 bot 16 inch and loves it.

http://www.decathlon.fr/pneu-velo-enfant-14x195-id_8328470.html

Any thoughts on this?

The biggest thing I see and am wondering about is there is a "flat, no tred" center section both on my Kenda, the C-ys but not on the cheap off road one. Logic would seem that more traction with center section tread.

Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!

ukj

Edited by UKJ
sp

• 6 months later...

Marvellous comparison! Worth a bump.

I'm considering the H-5167 to replace the raised-center Kenda on a new KingSong KS-16S. What I do worry about is traction on wet roots and rare confrontations with mud and wet wooden bridges. They are rare occasions, but my tire has to be able to handle sensible riding on those as well. Both Chao Yangs have a wide flat center section that doesn't look promising for wet conditions.

Will they hold their course as well as any default tire, or should I look for something a bit rougher?

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rotator said:

n both cases, the valve of the inner tube appears to be bent toward the outside of the circle instead the direction of the tube, so is not good for eucs.

Some experiences on this?

I think that simply depends on the direction in which you install the tube. Either the bent points outwards or inwards. It seems a little weird to install it inwards, but it seems to work just fine as the tube is rather flexible after all. 

On 11/23/2016 at 10:45 AM, Smoother said:

And don't even get me started on these bad boys

IMG_20161123_101106464.jpg

Would you attempt this auto proving grounds Burma Road? I have the opportunity to try out this road in the future but it looks impossible to cross! The boulders are encased in concrete so atleast they are stationary. 

36493309846_ff315d2238.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/07/2017 at 11:23 AM, mrelwood said:

I'm considering the H-5167 ...

I bought the H-5167 in 16x2.5", but regardless of the auction photos the pattern was "random". I received the H-5146. It seems the manufacturer sells just a generic tire in each size to the distributor, and the thread pattern varies between batches. I have not been succesful in locating the proper H-5167 from anywhere but Yoycart.com, which charges $43 for shipping a $20 tire. I still might grab it, since swapping the original 2.125" to the 2.5" H-5146 my max distance per battery charge went down from 50 to 40km.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I bought the H-5167 in 16x2.5", but regardless of the auction photos the pattern was "random". I received the H-5146. It seems the manufacturer sells just a generic tire in each size to the distributor, and the thread pattern varies between batches. I have not been succesful in locating the proper H-5167 from anywhere but Yoycart.com, which charges $43 for shipping a $20 tire. I still might grab it, since swapping the original 2.125" to the 2.5" H-5146 my max distance per battery charge went down from 50 to 40km.

H-5167 for sure does roll better than H-5146, but maybe you could give H-5146 a chance and make 200-300km on it, an then check the range per battery charge. Maybe increase the pressure little bit? It still won't be rolling as good as H-5167, but it makes up for it by being easier to control.

Seems that Chinese sellers use the fact that you can't buy EUC tires in USA and EU through "regular" channels except specialized EUC shops which have limited choice (usually only one type of tire per size) and therefore heavily overcharge when selling abroad. I have also met with this "random" system of selling tires and find it absurd, I mean it's not a lottery ticket you are buying :)

According to this table there should be H-5167 available in 16x2.5 dimension:

59afd9b4bcdad_ChaoYang.thumb.jpg.11aaaef585f074379beb3aade7f73804.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks xebeche. I have ridden about 1000km with the H-5146, and tracked the mileage of over a dozen identical 37km rides. Tire pressure between the usable range of 3.3-3.6 bars doesn't make a notable difference.

Perhaps a 2.5" tire will never reach the 2.125" mileage?

What irks me is that several shops at Aliexpress sells the H-5146 for around $35 including shipping. No H-5167 though. But going "deeper" to the Chinese portals, all Taobao agents seem to charge way more than that just for the shipping.

Dang. I'm going to bite the bullet. Can't get peace without trying the H-5167!

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Thanks xebeche. I have ridden about 1000km with the H-5146, and tracked the mileage of over a dozen identical 37km rides. Tire pressure between the usable range of 3.3-3.6 bars doesn't make a notable difference.

Perhaps a 2.5" tire will never reach the 2.125" mileage?

Oh than you have ridden more than enough to realistically compare the consumption. It does sound logical that the wider tire with its larger surface / friction, also has larger power consumption. They are also probably little bit heavier.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

What irks me is that several shops at Aliexpress sells the H-5146 for around $35 including shipping. No H-5167 though. But going "deeper" to the Chinese portals, all Taobao agents seem to charge way more than that just for the shipping.

Dang. I'm going to bite the bullet. Can't get peace without trying the H-5167

Have you tried contacting some of the Aliexpress shops? With some luck you might stumble upon someone who will make an effort and try to find that H-5167 for you.

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

@xebeche did you notice these tires load capacity? nobody seems to care but running underated tires cause flats and blowouts.

Yes, practically all the tires you could fit on the 14-22 inch wheel are rated for weight that is lower than the combined weight of the rider + wheel, probably because most of these tires are meant to be used on motorcycles (2 wheels), but honestly I haven't heard that someone had a fall due to flat or blowout. Tire (Hota) which came with my wheel (Inmotion V5F+) was so crappy, that I seriously think it was originally designed for baby strollers, and even that tire did not blowout, nor I had a flat on it during several hundred km - it only performed really bad. Sure thing that no one would have anything against if we had tires designed specifically for EUC, with 150+ kg spec, but as much as I know - we don't.

Edited by xebeche
  • Upvote 1

@xebeche hobbyist/experimental these under rated tires i'm sure are fine, except for more frequent flats. for tire life and rolling resistance, max sidewall pressure should be used at the least. gonna be hard to go mainstream when you are selling a product with the main component under rated. somebody in america will hire a lawyer that will convince a jury that this product's obvious production defect cause their client's injuries. what about the solid tires?

2 hours ago, xebeche said:

Have you tried contacting some of the Aliexpress shops? With some luck you might stumble upon someone who will make an effort and try to find that H-5167 for you.

I have contacted every shop that has a picture of a H-5167 and asked wether I can get the exact pattern. None of them could deliver.

6 hours ago, novazeus said:

@xebeche did you notice these tires load capacity? nobody seems to care but running underated tires cause flats and blowouts.

Someone more knowledgeable explained that the ratings are calculated for common scenarios only, and not by themselves the maximum the tire can handle. If a tire is designed for a bicycle, the load capacity is calculated for two wheels at that specific use. The recommended pressure as well. So if the sidewall says 70kg and 2.5 bars, in most situations it will be perfectly fine for a lot more weight, as long as the pressure is increased as well. It won't blow up with a 90kg rider running it at 3.0 bars.

I think the US court scenario is valid though, as common sense doesn't have room in there.

• Upvote 1

@mrelwood the ninebot guy said he was gonna ask about the whole tire load capacity tonight. he was also gonna ask about the tire they were gonna use on the new z model and get back to me. i'm not saying eucs are anymore unsafe than they are, but trying to sell a two hundred pound man a ks-16s with 70kg max load clearly stamped on the tire, might require some finesse.

Edited by novazeus
sp

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2017 at 12:22 AM, mrelwood said:

I have contacted every shop that has a picture of a H-5167 and asked wether I can get the exact pattern. None of them could deliver.

Someone more knowledgeable explained that the ratings are calculated for common scenarios only, and not by themselves the maximum the tire can handle. If a tire is designed for a bicycle, the load capacity is calculated for two wheels at that specific use. The recommended pressure as well. So if the sidewall says 70kg and 2.5 bars, in most situations it will be perfectly fine for a lot more weight, as long as the pressure is increased as well. It won't blow up with a 90kg rider running it at 3.0 bars.

I think the US court scenario is valid though, as common sense doesn't have room in there.

The question is in WHICH DIRECTION the wheel can handle 70Kg and what is a "common scenario"?

1. 70Kg straight forward?

2. 70Kg when carving heavy?

3. 70Kg over a Kerb without damaging rim?

If its 1 or 2 then I would definitely not use that tyre. I weigh 95Kg + EUC 20kg (Tesla) = 115 Kg = 65% above recommendation when going straight. Its like me accepting an accident based on what China honestly tells me (good luck in court there ;-) Ok, maybe in US I could win with some expensive lawyer, but never in Sweden LOL)

When carving it gets A LOT WORSE as the peak force in a turn is A LOT higher and this is where the sidewall gets important (based on motor bike racing). The stiffer the side wall, the less horisontal flex (and of course higher pressure for less flex, but then you loose traction from tyre running cold....and comfort).

I think I will try to rig my Olympus close to the ground to see how much my worn out CST actually flexes when carving and if its the side wall giving way that causes wobble at high speed carving. I cant think of any other explanation. I dont mind wobble and doubt that the tyre can "jump off the rim" as the high pressure tube inside would never allow it keeping outer tyre pressed toward the rim (unless close to a flat = no high pressure) but what will happen when that 70Kg limit is passed? Thats an interesting question that I dont think the manufacturer ever will answer as i just think its some kind of stamp of "protection from being sued" 🤔

On 9/6/2017 at 1:26 PM, xebeche said:

H-5167 for sure does roll better than H-5146, but maybe you could give H-5146 a chance and make 200-300km on it, an then check the range per battery charge. Maybe increase the pressure little bit? It still won't be rolling as good as H-5167, but it makes up for it by being easier to control.

Seems that Chinese sellers use the fact that you can't buy EUC tires in USA AND EU through "regular" channels except specialized EUC shops which have limited choice (usually only one type of tire per size) and therefore heavily overcharge when selling abroad. I have also met with this "random" system of selling tires and find it absurd, I mean it's not a lottery ticket you are buying :)

According to this table there should be H-5167 available in 16x2.5 dimension:

59afd9b4bcdad_ChaoYang.thumb.jpg.11aaaef585f074379beb3aade7f73804.jpg

Do I get it right that the H-666 exist in 16*2.125 (cant read Chinese but at bottom of image 2.125 is next to h666, but mid page its not?)

That thread looks VERY interesting for a mix on off road 😍 A bit knobby but still smooth. A bit closer to the CST tyre (though the CST still seems to take the cake for offroad based on pattern)

EDIT: I think its for the H-5118 above it :-(

Where can i find the tyres for 2019?

Edited by Boogieman

On 10/15/2016 at 1:05 AM, xebeche said:

VISUAL COMPARISON:

SCORE:

Tire brand / type

Hota Tyre

CST Rhino King

Schwalbe Big Apple

Chao Yang H-5146

Chao Yang  H-5167

CST E-Bike Pro

Size

14x2.125

14x2.125

14x2.00

14x2.125

14x2.125

14x2.125

Ride Comfort

Control 

Grip Asphalt

Grip Gravel

Impact absorption

Directional stability

Temperature stability

Rolling resistance

TOTAL:

This review is THE BEST EVER.

Especially the video where you can see bot thread pattern and rigidity. Why dont they have anything like that on Ali Express, where you baically have to ask every seller of a picture of the tyre and pattern he actually SHIPS 😣

Same thing with inner tube nozzle angles, its crazy (impossible?) to find a kenda with a 0-30° angled but 75-90°bent nozzle

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1