Brands with / without unexpected shutdowns (new buyers look here)

KaleOsaurusRex

50 minutes ago, chrisinbama said:

Just a note to say this just happened to me. How traumatizing! I took a swan dive into the concrete. What a ridiculous predicament! They need to take responsibility for this!!

Well, don't keep us in suspense, what happened? What was the state of charge, etc? And just a tiny weeny bit important - on what wheel?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/6/2016 at 3:32 PM, Keith said:

Well, don't keep us in suspense, what happened? What was the state of charge, etc? And just a tiny weeny bit important - on what wheel?

Oh, sure. TG-M3 (from Banggood), 3 green lights battery charge. Was just practicing at my apartment, going back and forth on the landing, like I do all the time. I don't ride fast anyway, but certainly not in front of people's apartment doors. Just riding along and suddenly the motor shut off and the wheel nosedived sending me to the pavement. Never happened before, but it's fairly new and hasn't been ridden a whole lot. No way this kind of thing should happen.

http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-TG-M3-350W-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-88Wh-Top-Speed-18Kmh-wp-Usa-954070.html

2 hours ago, chrisinbama said:

Oh, sure. TG-M3 (from Banggood), 3 green lights battery charge. Was just practicing at my apartment, going back and forth on the landing, like I do all the time. I don't ride fast anyway, but certainly not in front of people's apartment doors. Just riding along and suddenly the motor shut off and the wheel nosedived sending me to the pavement. Never happened before, but it's fairly new and hasn't been ridden a whole lot. No way this kind of thing should happen.

http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-TG-M3-350W-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-88Wh-Top-Speed-18Kmh-wp-Usa-954070.html

TG's were quite often shipped with bad batteries/chargers. So be carefull with charging/storing the wheel.

88Wh is by itself way too low capacity to drive safely up to 18 km/h - the battery back (supposely a 16s1p - 16 cells in series) cannot deliver the necessary power and the 350W motor is also quite at the limit.

Best solution for you should be to put two ~150-180Wh high quality battery packs (*1) into the wheel (if there is enough space inside and a little risk that you maybe overpower the motherboard or the motor) or just keep this as training wheel and change to something with at least 300Wh high quality batteries (*2) and 500W motor. These wheels are just about the limit, where faceplants due to overlean/cutout get more seldom/(almost) stop to happen.

Edit:

(*1) Don't know how i came to two 150-180Wh packs... Maybe it's just too early around here ;) With one 16s2p (16 cells in series, 2 in parallel->32 in total) pack around the 300-380Wh you should have a nice power source - and if there is enough place maybe two of these (and maybe again overpowering the motor/controlboard)

(*2) These are the 16s2p packs. "Older" battery generations start with ~240 Wh, the newest are at about 380Wh.

Only exception for this "rule of thumb" reported/previewed in this forum seem to be solowheel and uniwheel - They have "only" ~180Wh Battery pack and a stronger motor (~1000W), but use a different battery technology which can (could) provide higher peak loads to withstand overlean/cutouts...

On 3/16/2016 at 10:16 AM, Chriull said:

TG's were quite often shipped with bad batteries/chargers. So be carefull with charging/storing the wheel.

These brands should offer free head protection gear as standard accessory. :lol:

2oqd0vwu5yz__26783.1436196782.1280.1280.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Something is going on with my Airwheel X8, most likely battery ageing related. It keeps turning off randomly without tilt-back, and without being able to turn back on until after I've plugged in the charger. I'm after a new battery for it, but also a new wheel.

Right now I'm looking at the Ninebot One P v2, but since that's not released, how would Gotway ACM 16 fare in subject of this thread? From what I've read elsewhere they have re-adjustable tilt-back and the cut off is usually when the rider is being stupid.

Cheers

Nafallo - new on this forum - rider since April 2015

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2015 at 4:11 PM, esaj said:

I'd at least assume that accelerating needs a whole lot more power than just keeping the speed steady. Telemetrics for the wheel would be really cool, I'd love to be able to see the graphs for power usage vs. change in altitude (ie. climbing/descending/going level) vs. speed etc. I actually was thinking of modding a voltage meter (and asked Vee73 if he knew of any good) to the front/topside of the wheel for the the new batteries, so I could see the change in battery voltage during climbs and accelerations (plus it would probably be more reliable battery meter than the 0-99% display of Firewheel :D). Just needs to be able to show up to around 70V (more wouldn't hurt, in case I ever decide to try higher voltages), with at least 1 decimal after the point accuracy... plus I'd have to figure out how to power the damn thing, as it would probably still use different voltage, unless there are some that can use the voltage they're measuring, but that's going to change a lot.

Let me suggest, if you are interested in telemetrics, that you use the existing Ardupilot system setup in APM:Rover mode.   Set up a standard APM 2.8 APM2.8  (these are ~$35 on ebay) with Ublox NEO-M8N GPS , MAVlink (with bluetooth transmission and MinimOSD for customizability of reported parameters), DroidPlanner @ https://github.com/DroidPlanner/Tower on your mobile phone (which will hold the storage for data logging) or some other "Ground Control" software (see picture attached); and perhaps some bespoke analogue sensors for rotational speed, voltage and current which will be fed to specific GPIO on the APM board (A0 to A7 are both digital and analogue, so can read voltages) and their readings can be made available on the APM parameter setting software in APM Planner.  You preload the satellite map images, or other map data, to the mobile phone from Google Maps (this is all pretty much automatic). I'd suggest a separate 12vdc power supply for the telemetrics system (LiPo battery) because motor control systems are so noisy.   For $75 and a few hours of fiddling, you could get endless amounts of telemetry and graphics on your mobile phone.  

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 5.37.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 5.37.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 5.30.52 PM.png

• 1 month later...

I have bought some unicycles on ebay. Tg similar to t3, with 350 W with Samsung batteries and with audible warning and slow down when the battery is low. I thought I was safe, but the other night with a charged battery, not used for 20 days, after a few meters has died suddenly. Luckily I was on the bike path. Is there a way to be sure that with unicycles? Or should I convert to other means such as hoverkart?

On 3/16/2016 at 2:16 AM, Chriull said:

TG's were quite often shipped with bad batteries/chargers.

I got TWO TG T3s with DEAD, UNCHARGEABLE batteries! The wheels (from 2 different sellers, purchased widely separated in time) were definitely brand new. In both cases I was able to convince the sellers (eventually, after much arguing) to send replacement batteries, and the wheels and their batteries worked great ever since.

4 hours ago, Luca Morello said:

Everything is reduced to only three brands: the premise that it costs too much Solowheel

I think you we can count Inmotion in as safe - seems that they got it right with their V5 and V8 models.

Kingsong "overcharging" being mentioned a few times...

10 hours ago, Vik's said:

I think you we can count Inmotion in as safe - seems that they got it right with their V5 and V8 models.

Kingsong "overcharging" being mentioned a few times...

From personal (KS16 driver) and friends experience I count Ninebot, Kingsong and Inmotion in the "safest" category (Solowheel I do not know, it's not that much sold here), but none of the others yet.

My KS16, when empty, don't let me entering it, or becomes so slow (besides beeping) at the end that I must get off.

A few weeks ago in southern Tyrol, where I had to ride down a long steep hill from Eppan to Bozen, I forgot to plug it out over night before I left.  After a few 100 meters it started beeping like hell and became slow, and I thought it was because of overcharging. So I rode up the whole hill again and then down, and then it worked (FW 1.23).

So I can't say anything bad about overcharging. What have you heard ?

1 minute ago, MaxLinux said:

Solowheel is falling seriously behind, in my opinion. Solowheel prices are far in excess of what is justified by the specs.

They trying to pretend they are Apple of electric unicycles but they really are not...

9 minutes ago, nute said:

My brother has a Kingsong 16 which shut down on him so you may want to rethink the Kingsong = safe conclusion.  

Imho by now or maybe never any wheel could be considered safe! Also gotways, inmotions and ninebots shut down on their drivers... This shall not be an excuse or advertisment for the ks16 - which i drive now after the ninebot, but they are by now like the others more or less "state of the art".

with every new wheel/firmware versions of these companies sometimes some new faults are introduced but over the time improvements are noticeable. Imho also by the quite low quantities the quality control is not really overwhelming and it can happen to everyone to get a "monday wheel/lemon"...

Also some shutdowns are just intrinsic to EUC physics and not avoidable - some next generation EUCs could/should/will hopefully soon implement smarter warnings.

On 11/17/2016 at 3:32 PM, Chriull said:

it can happen to everyone to get a "monday wheel/lemon"

I think I got a wednesday wheel, over 250 miles and no cutouts, :thumbup:  It has dropped me a few times though, while going too slow and hitting a two inch curbstone or root and it didn't have the torque to muscle over them without momentum or jumping up a little.:P  But that's just rider error.

On 17/11/2016 at 7:41 AM, Vik's said:

They trying to pretend they are Apple of electric unicycles but they really are not...

Well they are in a way, because they invented the EUC in the first place, didn't they ? I'd want to get paid a bit more if it was my idea !

Too bad that doesn't really hold up in a world where everyone wants everything nice and cheap...

Archived