Kingsong S16 coming...

Mango

On 8/18/2023 at 8:49 PM, mrelwood said:

You did. It’s a significant improvement in ride comfort, off-road capability, and ride safety.

Ok. Understood. But many of us are not curb jumping, ramp jumping types. Many of us just want to ride on the street/sidewalk, so the addition of spring/air shocks seems a bit much. I guess the industry went in that direction, but they are leaving the rest of us in the dust by making that decision.

Heck, even incorporating some of the small changes they are making on the bigger wheels and adding them to the old designs might help (??), like large spiked foot pads, fancy LED/LCD displays, improved speakers.

Or some design consideration changes (like make a wheel 25-35% faster, but allow the range to go down). I'd definitely go for that as a commuter that can recharge daily. 

On 8/18/2023 at 8:49 PM, mrelwood said:

There aren’t really 2.75” tires for EUCs. Some motorcycle tire designations are 2.75-14 (= 80/100-14 = 18x3), but the measurement is taken at the tire carcass, so the thread takes it up to 3” anyway. 2.5” bicycle tire ( V10(F) ) is the one step smaller size group.

Also, the MSX was the first to introduce a 3” wide tire in 2018. I can’t think of a new wheel launched since that that didn’t have a 3” tire. So they’re not moving to wider tires, they’ve stayed put for 5 years already.

I don’t like wide wheels either, but it’s not the ~5mm shell that really determines the width. It comes from other design decisions. If you like sleek wheels, look into Inmotions. They seem to be the only ones retaining a sleek design.

Yeah. Point taken...right 2.5". I recall watching many videos and comments about how people did NOT like the 3" tires. And it made sense to me. I love the 2.5" tires.
I think I was getting my old 1.75" tires mixed up with the 2.5" tires and thinking there were 2.75"ers.

And yes, I like what Inmotion does with their designs, so I went back to them with the V10F. I do see that most of their newer stuff also went into the bigger/heavier/faster direction.

I suppose there are still some (motor and battery) constraints on getting the wheels lighter/faster, so still happy with these 2. But for someone that does not want a 70# wheel....just seems like we are stuck in the past.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2023 at 7:15 PM, Circuitmage said:

Ok. Understood. But many of us are not curb jumping, ramp jumping types. Many of us just want to ride on the street/sidewalk, so the addition of spring/air shocks seems a bit much. I guess the industry went in that direction, but they are leaving the rest of us in the dust by making that decision.

I don’t think so at all. I mostly ride on the road, and I wouldn’t switch to a non-suspension wheel for road riding no matter what. Don’t know how the roads are where you live, but there are small bumps nearly everywhere I ride. Just like I wouldn’t buy a car without suspension, even if I wouldn’t plan on hopping curbs with it.

I think you’d just need to try one out to understand what the suspension is all about. You probably can’t think of how it feels since you have never experienced anything like it. Just like riding in the first place.

Heck, even incorporating some of the small changes they are making on the bigger wheels and adding them to the old designs might help (??), like large spiked foot pads, fancy LED/LCD displays, improved speakers.

That’s what a lot of us have been asking for. The S16 is definitely in the right direction, but I just can’t understand how they can make a wheel that small that heavy. Where is all the weight??

I recall watching many videos and comments about how people did NOT like the 3" tires.

Sounds a bit like first impressions to me. A 3” tire rides different, so one needs to get familiarized and accustomed to it to understand the benefits. I do agree though that one or two 2.5” models should fit the markets quite well.

bigger/heavier/faster direction.

A rumor has it that Inmotion might be cooking up an actual small wheel as the third wheel they’ve been said to launch this year.

I suppose there are still some (motor and battery) constraints on getting the wheels lighter/faster

Fast discharge battery cells would be great for small wheels, and they would definitely add speed capabilities, at the cost of range though.

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

"Born of Alcidae"

I had to google that. The S16 is a baby bird? Egg? Does this mean anything? Or is this some translation thing?

My son had a toddler book that was similarly well translated from chinese: "Find these animals: Dog, Cat, Mouse, Erinaceus".

Hint: Erinaceus is a genus of hedgehogs.

Same here - obviously they meant a puffin, auk or other lovely bird, not a taxonomic family name in scientific latin :facepalm:.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yoos said:

My son had a toddler book that was similarly well translated from chinese: "Find these animals: Dog, Cat, Mouse, Erinaceus".

Hint: Erinaceus is a genus of hedgehogs.

Same here - obviously they meant a puffin, auk or other lovely bird, not a taxonomic family name in scientific latin :facepalm:.

It has a lot of leds and speakers, perhaps they ment a Peacock? 🦚

Edited by Rawnei

"An auk or alcid is a bird of the family Alcidae in the order Charadriiformes. The alcid family includes the murres, guillemots, auklets, puffins, and murrelets. The family contains 25 extant or recently extinct species that are divided into 11 genera. Wikipedia"

Apparently the S16 born from an extinct species of bird. I like it.

• Haha 2

On 2023/8/15 at PM10点53分, Funky said:

太重了……从我身边过去。  :D 33公斤 :罗夫毛: 他们错过了这么好的机会来制造真正“轻量化”的东西。

我希望我的下一个车轮重量低于 25 公斤。更慢/更弱/更小范围 - 我不在乎。与过去的型号相比,只是“新”且制造更好。

On 2023/8/16 at AM4点34分, Circuitmage said:

所以,我有几个问题,我知道这里有人可以回答;

1. 为什么需要暂停?我是否错过了两三年前让每个人都想在车轮上安装悬架的事情?
2. 为什么他们要采用更宽的轮胎?这对我来说有点意义,但恕我直言,3 英寸似乎有点多了。我们可以坚持使用 2.75 英寸吗?
3. 有人对每个车轮组件的车轮重量比较进行过详细分析吗?那会很有趣。超过73#,看起来像是进入了重量级。
4. 为什么他们放弃了蛤壳式设计?看起来非常优雅、时尚。我想如果我使用更宽的框架轮,我会感觉我的双腿张开。

我确实喜欢他们将时速 31 英里的车轮塞进 16 英寸的车轮中。
我确实喜欢 LED 和显示屏(除了它增加了重量)。
我确实喜欢对音响系统的关注(2 个低音炮和 2 个高音扬声器!!)。我的 V10F 明显比我的 18L 声音大,这让我很惊讶。

我喜欢这个轮子的很多东西,但不仅仅是 73#...哎呀。

Ride it and all your problems are solved.:rolleyes:

On 2023/8/16 at AM1点34分, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

找出错误所在!

。 

。 

。 

。 

。 

动作摄像机,但没有动作。 :翻白眼:

轮子比夹子还无聊。 

我认为这个轮子是为初学者设计的,不适合其他人。 

即使对于我的妻子来说,她的骑行速度不超过 30 公里/小时,这个轮子也是不可能的,尽管 S18 对她来说实际上太大太重了。

S16将是降级版。 

截图_20230815_192349_三星互联网.jpg

The S16 is heavier, and the 2023 16S is a nice wheel.

On 2023/8/16 at AM1点35分, Guillaume_k said:

不过 1-99 美元的价格标签还是很有趣的。他们可能只是将所有这些信息(除了重量?)放在网上,看看社区的反应。如果说 ?是4,这是理所当然的。如果是8分或者9分的话还是值得考虑的...

Haha, if the S16 sells for 1499, then the wheels before 16X will be out of the market.

12 hours ago, EUC BB said:

Ride it and all your problems are solved.:rolleyes:

Riding - weight means jack shit. If i didn't need to carry to 3rd floor 2-6 times a day. In train. In workplace. I would have gotten Sherman Max. :D And i'm a big/heavy guy, so bigger wheel would be even perfect for me. But now after ~3 years of commuting - i want something in ~20kg weight. Anything over 25kg i don't want it at all. 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

Kingsong claim in a YouTube video comment that the s16 weight is due to the thick metal used for construction to make it fall resistant, but this isn't such an extreme wheel, it's more like a 16x with suspension or v11 i.e. city wheel/commuter, than a hardcore offroad wheel. So it makes no sense to use such heavy materials.

If it's decently waterproof, it might still be worth a look.

Edit: One of these comment replies

Edited by aaron_syd
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Funky said:

Riding - weight means jack shit.

Based on my experience, it absolutely does. Take the ShermS. You start leaning forward, and you can read the newspaper while you wait for it to accelerate. V11 with the same tire is hugely more sensitive to rider input, front to back as well as left to right.

2 hours ago, aaron_syd said:

Kingsong claim in a YouTube video comment that the s16 weight is due to the thick metal used for construction to make it fall resistant, but this isn't such an extreme wheel, it's more like a 16x with suspension or v11 i.e. city wheel/commuter, than a hardcore offroad wheel. So it makes no sense to use such heavy materials.

What a badly misplaced design feature. It’s a low/mid priced commuter wheel with a smallish battery size, yet it is hampered from it’s target group by using a design feature from large and heavy hard core off-road and racing wheels. Come on KS!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

You start leaning forward, and you can read the newspaper while you wait for it to accelerate.

Some would consider that a feature. No? :)

Come on now, it wasn't that bad. Was it? Mind you, I too was surprised when I jump on a Sherman S off from my Abrams. I didn't think it was peppy. But the suspension was smooth. Some people can make it go though. It is just that I don't like to lean too much. I like to rely more on the sensitivity of the wheel's input.

16 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Come on now, it wasn't that bad. Was it?

It kind of was though. At least in hard mode. I wish I had asked to try it on medium as well, but I just didn’t want to take any more of others’ time.

16 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I like to rely more on the sensitivity of the wheel's input.

Me too! The V11 is in itself already one of the peppiest (3” wide) 18/20” wheel, and in addition I have the ride mode adjustments set up to require very little effort in acceleration and braking. The difference to a 67% heavier ShermS in hard mode really was very large.