Kingsong S16 coming...

Mango

1 hour ago, slippyfeet said:

I honestly would want it significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper than the current class of "16-inch" wheels.

Yep. But I have low hopes for that. Even the S19 is like $2800. What KS could do:

• 100V 1800Wh (4p battery) like the S19, just with a smaller tire. 
  • Maybe 126V 3p battery (1665Wh), which would probably be high discharge cells then ($$$).
  • 100V 3p (1332Wh), probably with high discharge cells (or it would be underpowered like the S18), not sure if that saves money in comparison to the regular 1800Wh

None of those seem like they would be significantly cheaper. KS could go

• 84V 1500Wh.

An option I see that might be cheaper. I guess they could sell it as a city commuter like the V11. 3 years after the V11 released. Not sure how good of an idea that is.

• 84V 1110Wh (3p) - exactly like the S18.

An S18 with a smaller tire... 3 years later. Not sure how good of an idea that is.

I suspect prices would need to fall across the board for a lower price S16 to be a thing.

-

I think it will be an S19 with a smaller tire for maybe 2600-2700. That would explain why they built a 100V board after the 126V S22. Intended for more than one wheel.

Wildcard speculation: it is actual 16 inches (what we would call 14 inch), basically a suspension A2. That would be something new.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slippyfeet said:

All these^ are big heavy robust machines, and with inmotion allegedly entering the fray even with it rumored to be a 100Ver - They're all essentially Patton carbon copies trying to entice your $3000. 

But, I contend that there are plenty of riders like Duf, who may find the Patton to be the current sweet spot for a city runabout that city dwellers would seek, or an off-roader. So it could be a hot market segment. But time will tell. There is nothing wrong for any electric wheel manufacturers to have an iron in this fire. So far, each seem to have a different angle.

Should Kingsong brings out a lighter, but less capable wheel, I hope that Kingsong can sell enough of them to be profitable.

It would make sense for a smaller and lighter wheel since it is an S16, and not an S18 nor S19. But I can't predict Kingsong's next move anymore now having seeing the S19.

The Patton-wannabe market segment is already way too saturated, no point on making yet another. A 16x2.5, 16S/V10F class wheel would be in a sector of it’s own, and based on the comments on multiple threads on this forum, might be very liked.

The official premiere above will be very interesting!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It sure has all the RGBs from the looks of it.

Price under $2000! Nice! Now I wonder even more wtf the point of the S19 is supposed to be. Paying 700-900 more for a bigger tire size? Or maybe this S16 will be 84V 1500Wh? Or 84V 1110Wh like the S18?

Edited by meepmeepmayer

If it is not another bait and switch move, that coil-over looks to be a full sized shock. Here is hoping that shock doesn't need to be immediately replaced after unboxing. 

If it is somewhat based on the S19, at that price point, it should place a lot of pressure on the current V11, V12, and the whenever it will get here V11Y.

That is a good move to slot it clearly below the Patton class, where the S22 Pro already competes in.

Too bad they did not do a full launch in one go.

• Upvote 1

84V 1500Wh would be nice. If they kept the weight down to around 27KG would be ideal. 

But the pricing.. Unless they are retiring the S18.. I'm kind of scared it might be under-spec.. If it is 16X with suspension i would love it :)

For under $2000 USD:

(1) Smart BMS

(2) Large display

(3) Coil sprung, linkage suspension that looks to have a linkage and shock based off the S20/S22/PRO design, not based on the S18.

(5) Spike pedals

(6) RGB, speakers

(7) 16" wheel

If somehow they managed to also find performance at this price point, then it would be quite the deal.

My guts tells me the suspension is based off the S22, rather than the S18.

So it could be heavy.

For light weight, the S18 may still rule supreme.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think most of the components listed are probably not that expensive. We look at the things like spike pedals and remember the 200 price the after market pedal used to charge. But if they are using the same pedals across the line-up they are ordering them in bulk at the good price. Same for the display and LED's.. They buy them in bulk and manufactured locally so the price are quite small.. 

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

(3) Coil sprung

S19 was advertised as coil sprung also.. I can bet this will eventually come with same air shock and the same line of 'dealers have the option to choose what to order..'

I would love for them to actually make a good affordable wheel and go for volume sale to get the brand name up.