Kingsong S16 coming...

Mango

7 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

If you want more travel, then you will need a pair of 5mm hex keys to remove the bar under the rebound knob, and rotate the suspension to increase or decrease the preload.

Thanks!

I'd like to have more travel. I feel the sus barely moves when I jump on it. I'm 170 pounds.

Do I need to compress the coil or loosen it?

5 hours ago, LeGiroquoi said:

Thanks!

I'd like to have more travel. I feel the sus barely moves when I jump on it. I'm 170 pounds.

Do I need to compress the coil or loosen it?

Loosen it, the ring should be as far up as possible

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

If you want more travel, then you will need a pair of 5mm hex keys to remove the bar under the rebound knob, and rotate the suspension to increase or decrease the preload.

Can you describe a process a little bit more. If I remove the bar and increase the preload, how I will put this bar back? I will need to compress the spring by hand and put the bar back?

5 hours ago, padluka said:

Can you describe a process a little bit more. If I remove the bar and increase the preload, how I will put this bar back? I will need to compress the spring by hand and put the bar back?

You’re just lengthening the spring on the assembly thread, so the bar stays the same length. You could just use a wrench on the ring, but I preferred to twist the whole assembly to avoid rubbing between the spring and the ring

• Like 1

14 hours ago, padluka said:

Does anybody know, where to get spare charger for S16?

No, I was looking for it for quite a while with no luck. But I managed to take 84V charger for 18xl, bought simple cable and the plug and replaced it. Had to measure the original charger for polarity and pin wiring but finally it works.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KNZ said:

So…anyone have a range test on this thing? I hope it’s not as abysmal as I keep hearing…

I did 55kms on a freezing day. I weight 170lbs and ride at around 35/40kmh

Came back with 8% left

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, KNZ said:

So…anyone have a range test on this thing? I hope it’s not as abysmal as I keep hearing…

We have been running as much tests as possible through our daily behavior riding, not just reviewer type one and done.

My advice is to expect it to get a max of 35-40 miles out of it if you plan to be riding above 25mph.

motor efficiency in relation to battery capacity is, imo, bad (22wh/km). roughly calculating 1480wh x .9 (100% to 10%) = 1332wh / 22 = 60km range, or 37 miles. Basically matches our findings irl.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, KNZ said:

This is why I started a whole new topic for this here. If you are a heavier rider you will get 55km range. If you are lighter rider then 65km max.

But as it was discussed in that thread there is not so much of a difference whether you go faster and push it harder or glide light and smooth. There is but the difference is surprisingly smaller than I would expected.

The range is the weakest aspect of the S16. Other than that it is very good wheel IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you are very heavy rider like me(130kg with gear) you won't even have 50.

Yesterday rode it for 21km (4km downhill, 17km flat) against strong wind. Got average 31wh/km.

Today rode it park(lot of hills and light off-road). Got average 37wh/km.

Average riding speed 22-23kmph both times.

Edited by padluka

And one more issue. One of the top panels(right one) covered in velcro - doesn't stay in place anymore. Slides forward and backward while riding with pads on it. Very uncomfortable and probably not very safe either.

39 minutes ago, padluka said:

And one more issue. One of the top panels(right one) covered in velcro - doesn't stay in place anymore. Slides forward and backward while riding with pads on it. Very uncomfortable and probably not very safe either.

Does your S16 not have a screw that holds the panel in place as seen below?

And I have a problem on mine that arrived yesterday. The wheel is new. Had a weird time unlocking it, as it made weird update problems etc. 

But anyway, I did a 55 kms ride that left me with 8% charge and now it just won't charge past around 85%.. see video 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rNB1brj1uZ2Eguzx8

Is it the wheel or the charger problem?

I first got a big difference between voltage packs, but for some reason now it seems fixed.. see photos 

Help and advices appreciated 

Screenshot_20240427_123154_KingSong.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_123157_KingSong.jpg

51 minutes ago, BlueCrow said:

@LeGiroquoi I know the S16 has an option to set where to stop the charging point. Maybe it's set around 85% in the app?

This is also my suggestion. There is an option in the app in the settings at which percentage it should stop charging. So move it to 80%, let it save, and then to 100%.

I played with this feature a bit at the begining and it works as it should.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LeGiroquoi said:

That’s a huge disparity in voltage between packs….

Being that I’m the one with the most trauma with this wheel’s software, if changing the charging percentage doesn’t work, reflash the BMS firmware (and don’t be afraid to do it a handful of times).
I had to do mine at least 5x in the past 6 weeks to fix constant errors from er26 malfunctions to outright losing data connectivity to one of the packs. V1.82 has been behaving so far, but I first said that with V1.69 only to receive battery warnings again 10 days later..

Other things that could be variables:

-Plugging the charger directly into a wall outlet instead of a power strip.

-Using the other side charging port if one side feels overly tight.

Just sharing. Changing charger fan to sunon 40*20, made it practically silent, without losing any cooling performance.

Removing speakers from wheel is relatively simple, if you are ready to "unpin" connectors. It also make wheel little bit lighter:-)

• Upvote 1

I think I might have fixed my s16.

But it was weird anyway. 

I unplugged the batteries and tried to charge them separately. At first didn't work, didn't want to charge. Packs were both at 79.9v tested with multimeter.

But for some reason, I tried charging again and it worked on one pack, that I charged to full. And then for another unknown the second pack did charge too.

So now it works. I went for a careful ride and then charged again normally and works. 

So.. I guess I'm good?🤣

4 hours ago, padluka said:

Just sharing. Changing charger fan to sunon 40*20, made it practically silent, without losing any cooling performance.

Removing speakers from wheel is relatively simple, if you are ready to "unpin" connectors. It also make wheel little bit lighter:-)

https://www.perpaotomasyon.com/urun/sunon-40x20-12v-dc-3-kablolu-fan <-- will it do?

2 minutes ago, WoID said:

Better look for 2-wire version. Board only have 2 contacts.

When mounting it - you need to remove spacers and use bolts with bigger diameter than stock.
I've got slower one: HA40201V41000UA99 (4500rpm)

Edited by padluka

On 4/28/2024 at 8:31 AM, LeGiroquoi said:

And I have a problem on mine that arrived yesterday. The wheel is new. Had a weird time unlocking it, as it made weird update problems etc. 

But anyway, I did a 55 kms ride that left me with 8% charge and now it just won't charge past around 85%.. see video 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rNB1brj1uZ2Eguzx8

Is it the wheel or the charger problem?

I first got a big difference between voltage packs, but for some reason now it seems fixed.. see photos 

Help and advices appreciated 

Someone here also has the same issue and their s16 wont charge past 70%. Kingsong sending out a replacement battery pack. It seems alot of these s16 have bad batteries. The bms firmware they shipped out with allowed the battery packs to phantom drain until they were dead packs. Retailers were getting shipments where half the s16s had to be trickle charged for the batteries to be revived and I guess some of the batteries degraded because of this.

Reading posts like this I am glad I had a good luck - no such problems with my S16P so far. 

Actually everything I tried worked as it should. Only one thing I noticed is not working which is LED settings. I cannot set the lighting to solid color despite it should be possible with the app. Just rainbow breathing/flowing. But honestly this is so insignificant that I do not care and mentioning this just to be completely honest.