Kingsong S16 coming...

Mango

6 hours ago, Johannes Palmgren said:

Anyone know when KingSong starts throttling the speed on these KS S16PRO models ?

That is, 50 miles seem to be the range with limping  home... anyone know roughly what the "max speed to throttle" range is ? 

I get less than 20mi out of my old trusty S18 before it chokes and have me riding at 18-20mph which is too slow and sketchy for traffic around here...

For me, I notice the speed throttle happens at roughly 69V on the system- it dips my tiltback speed to 48kph and lower sometimes. I never got such drastic drops on my 18XL, so it’s surely the penalty of the high watt torque motor draw + software safety margins.

I can’t trust the percentage reading as it fluctuated up to +/-20% on BMS firmware v1.69. The updated v1.80 firmware fixes the percent:voltage relation but it may be tricky to install properly as I documented above.

Today I had to visit several places around the city which turned out that I started with 93% of battery and arrived at my last stand having 4% of battery left. Thus I can say what happened during the ride as battery charge drops.

First impression is that the BMS is "on a safe side", which means it shows (on a display) rather lower percentage than it is reality and if I stop for a while it gains several percentage back up. Second I experienced speed throthling at about 20% of battery when it started to notify me around 40kph (same sound when speed limits are set up in the app). But no pedal tilt back. An another throtling happened at about 10% when notification happened around 28kph. I arrived to the destination of constant speed of 22-24kph with no problem.

• Like 3

The hardware still seems to be in beta. Hope it will be sorted out with software as it's a bit pricey to turn me into a beta tester (because of extreme taxing policy here, it costed me 3600 USD in total and I'm yet to receive my unit).

I would like to ask another thing for actual users. It seems to have a capacitive lift sensor at the back, and capacitive surfaces are tend to be confused by water spills. Isn't it pose a sudden activation risk while riding on wet places? Also can you activate the tilt sensor while wearing thick motorcycle gloves? Does it need to be touched by naked hand to be activated?

Edited by WoID
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, WoID said:

The hardware still seems to be in beta. Hope it will be sorted out with software as it's a bit pricey to turn me into a beta tester (because of extreme taxing policy here, it costed me 3600 USD in total and I'm yet to receive my unit).

I would like to ask another thing for actual users. It seems to have a capacitive lift sensor at the back, and capacitive surfaces are tend to be confused by water spills. Isn't it pose a sudden activation risk while riding on wet places? Also can you activate the tilt sensor while wearing thick motorcycle gloves? Does it need to be touched by naked hand to be activated?

It'll work with gloves on and the the sensor won't activate unless the wheel is stopped.  No idea about the water part though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WoID said:

Tip: As long as you don't put the handle lever down completely, the S16 will not fall down even if you touch sensor.:lol:

Edited by Kingsong second hand eucs
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 2:21 PM, WoID said:

Also can you activate the tilt sensor while wearing thick motorcycle gloves?

I can confirm that it works with the gloves. I did this today and it worked with no problem. (perhaps it depends on the gloves, its thikness etc...)

Edited by Magovec
  • Like 1

Hello everyone, 

I was very excited about the S16 but the battery life tests really disappointed me.

So I tell myself that maybe I should go for an S19? 

But given the power of the motor and the 100V... 🤨

Maybe you can help me, I need 70/80km of autonomy in a 100/20% range

But if possible suspended and very comfortable making meal deliveries.

2 hours ago, Komate GuiGui said:

Kingsong S22 Pro

Begode Master V4, or EX30

Veteran Lynx, or Sherman S

If you are looking at price points, the S22 Pro or the Master V4 may fit the bill. The Veteran wheels are more pricey.

8 hours ago, Komate GuiGui said:

Hello everyone, 

I was very excited about the S16 but the battery life tests really disappointed me.

So I tell myself that maybe I should go for an S19? 

But given the power of the motor and the 100V... 🤨

Giving these expectations definitely not S16 but do you matter the weight? If not then I agree with techyiam. If you matter the weight and need it also for city riding - from time to time to pick it manually and carry it somewhere - then you are very limitied in choices. Everything above 30kgs is very heavy and difficult to handle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

Kingsong S22 Pro

Begode Master V4, or EX30

Veteran Lynx, or Sherman S

If you are looking at price points, the S22 Pro or the Master V4 may fit the bill. The Veteran wheels are more pricey.

But whow the hell is it possible, that we went from a 24kg 16x with 100km of autonomy, to these difficult choices currently 😭

I don't want 16x for simple reasons, for 500€ more we have great innovations, better controllers, intelligent BMS, because with my 80kg and my job as a courier I need to easily get out of the cars.

Would an X-Men Commander be the Job? 70/80 km to deliver?

Of course the Shermans, Master on paper it corresponds to the autonomy and the power that I am looking for and the latest innovations.

But urban traffic for start and stop deliveries requires a contained template, And in France our roads in cities are not the same as in the USA, small streets, few straight lines, Very tight quarters , you have to slip through everywhere

• Like 2

This is my first wheel and I'm enjoying learning on it, unfortunately I already got a flat and I think it's because I've been playing with my tire pressure which requires me to pull on the valve stem to fit the air pump, there's a hiss coming from base of the stem, looking forward (haha) to swapping the inner tube...

Luckily there's a s16 teardown video I can reference.

33 minutes ago, kreed said:

This is my first wheel and I'm enjoying learning on it, unfortunately I already got a flat and I think it's because I've been playing with my tire pressure which requires me to pull on the valve stem to fit the air pump, there's a hiss coming from base of the stem, looking forward (haha) to swapping the inner tube...

Luckily there's a s16 teardown video I can reference.

Can you link the teardown video? If it's the Russian one from Ecodrift then it looks quite a doozy.

It is the ecodrift one and I actually don't think it's TOO bad, once you remove the motherboard cover you undo the phase cables and top suspension bolt, remove the speakers then you can remove the wheel with the roller frame then you just remove the 8 bolts holding the roller frame on the wheel... 

• Like 1

What is the most comfortable tire pressure for this wheel? I've ben pushing 36-37 psi to my 16S and it was reminding me to refill by changing its behavior around 32 psi. What's its equivalent to S16 Pro?

1 hour ago, WoID said:

What is the most comfortable tire pressure for this wheel? I've ben pushing 36-37 psi to my 16S and it was reminding me to refill by changing its behavior around 32 psi. What's its equivalent to S16 Pro?

Your weight is the first question.. Then the question is - do you like to ride on solid tire, where it feels like riding on "knife edge". Or do you like ride on soft marshmallow? Where most road bumps and what not will not be so harsh.. The PSI question is very hard to answer. As it's one of life's mysteries.

And only you can answer that question.

I'm 280lbs and ride 30psi on different wheel.. (Also add tire slime, even little bit - and you will not need to refill the PSI anymore at all. Before slime i could pump my tire every week. Now maybe once a month, or in two months.)

Edited by Funky

On 4/20/2024 at 11:10 AM, WoID said:

In my case (approx 90kg with gear) on 18XL I used 2.3 bar. On S16 I use 2.0 bar. But these two have different tires in terms of dimensions - 18XL has larger, narower, low profile tire. S16 has wider/fatter and higher profile, better suited for rough terrain.

Thanks. 2 bar - 30 psi seems to be fine for daily commute for me also (90 kg - city rider, some jumping on curbs and inconsistencies on roads).

Today, BMS version 1.82 gone live. It was in beta for a while. I would like to hear your experiences, does it fix something? 

In received my s16 today, along with a v14 and even if the v14 is indeed "better", the s16 is an amazing surprise!

Very pleasant, lightweight but torquey, I am more pleased with this wheel than the v14!

BUT, only drawback is the suspension which is way too stiff. I was expecting a s22pro like responsive and soft suspension. It's hard and barely moves. Almost the same feeling than with the original s22 with crappy suspension system.

Anyone has a s16 and ideas how to fix it maybe?

Thanks

2 hours ago, LeGiroquoi said:

In received my s16 today, along with a v14 and even if the v14 is indeed "better", the s16 is an amazing surprise!

Very pleasant, lightweight but torquey, I am more pleased with this wheel than the v14!

BUT, only drawback is the suspension which is way too stiff. I was expecting a s22pro like responsive and soft suspension. It's hard and barely moves. Almost the same feeling than with the original s22 with crappy suspension system.

Anyone has a s16 and ideas how to fix it maybe?

Thanks

Are you seeking longer travel, or a change to the dampening? 
I'd first play with the rebound settings, theres 8-stops on it  "+" for faster rebound, "-" for slower.

If you want more travel, then you will need a pair of 5mm hex keys to remove the bar under the rebound knob, and rotate the suspension to increase or decrease the preload.

edit: also, if you haven't already done so, some people like to hit the bottom rollers and X-frame joints with a quick spray of either teflon lubricant, or fluid film

Edited by slippyfeet

On 4/25/2024 at 3:18 AM, LeGiroquoi said:

Actually I was very surprised with the suspension. But I had to adjust it to my weight. Factory setting was too soft so when I stepped on the wheel it compressed almost to the down limit so when riding the actual suspension travel was just 1-2 centimetres. What I did was to rotate the big nut on top of the spring, which made the spring more compressed thus stiffer and stronger but also pushed the whole wheel higher. Now when I step onto it the whole wheel lowers a bit but not too much so there is more space for movement.

I also lubricated the X mechanism with spray (the same as slippyfeer suggested), which I do regurarly to make it go smoother. So far I am very pleasantly surprised by the the suspension of S16.

Edited by Magovec

24 minutes ago, Magovec said:

Now when I step onto it the whole wheel lowers a bit but not too much so there is more space for movement.

Does anyone know how much our suspension wheels should ideally lower when we step on to them ? At 220 PSI my Master drops hardly at all when I get on it with only armour, but about an inch or maybe more when I get onboard with a backpack full of shopping.

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Does anyone know how much our suspension wheels should ideally lower when we step on to them ? At 220 PSI my Master drops hardly at all when I get on it with only armour, but about an inch or maybe more when I get onboard with a backpack full of shopping.

25-30%

• Thanks 1