Kingsong S16 coming...

Mango

17 hours ago, Bookmark said:

I own the S16 Pro and have a couple of thoughts on it.  It is a fun wheel to ride but it feels kind of cheap.  Resting my hand on the front bumper makes it flex and it has a high probability of breaking due to cheap/thin material.  The trolley kinda sucks - it does not lock in place and the wheel wants to fall on its side more than other wheels I've ridden.  Not sure if it is because of the 50S batteries but it seems to get less range than expected.  Your choice of ambient lighting is either rainbow or completely off - I hope KS releases a firmware update that allows setting the LED lights to a single color.  The power pads are kind of floppy and use bargain bin velcro that doesn't stick that well.  The suspension feels kinda stiff and I'm hoping they'll get better over time.

Pedals - I hate them.  The toe and heel actually sit lower than the middle section.  WTF?!?  It makes me feel like I have less real estate for my feet and cannot understand why KS designed the pedals the way they did.  I feel like my feet may slip off the pedal - the pedals also need adjustable dihedral angle.  Waiting patiently for Nylonove to release a S16 compatible pedal. 

Positives include good torque for an 84v wheel.  Maneuverable.  Smart BMS which is uncommon on lower cost wheels.  Might be the most compact suspension wheel until the Begode Falcon is released.  The compact shape and relatively light weight along with acceptable power/speed/range was the primary reason I got the S16 Pro.  If that wasn't one of main criteria, I would have skipped the S16 Pro and gone for the IM V14 instead.

Those RGB lights can now stay one color, you need to upgrade the firmware and gauges to the latest.

10 hours ago, Bookmark said:

The beeps are really annoying, how did I forget to mention that :)  One time I was in a cafe and the wheel suddenly started beeping. It was embarrassing and people were probably wondering if my wheel was going to explode.  It turns out that the wheel will initiate a power down if you leave it idle for too long and it will emit a series of beeps to let you know... and you can't turn off the alarm...

It certainly feels like KS cut corners to keep the price low...

Is the beep you're talking about just the beeping sound that comes from being idle for too long? What else is the case for beeping?

2 hours ago, padluka said:

To add to my previous post - trolley handle completely stuck. Can't open it at all, 3rd day of riding, ~50km, no crashes.

While trying to pull the trolley handle out - couple of times accidentaly "disassembled" front handle.

Starting to regret my choice..

Is that the black plastic part?

48 minutes ago, Kingsong second hand eucs said:

Those RGB lights can now stay one color, you need to upgrade the firmware and gauges to the latest.

Which firmware version and when was it released?  I tried to update the firmware and the app says I have the latest firmware (Vehicle v2.42, BMS v1.69, and Meter v1.10).

47 minutes ago, Kingsong second hand eucs said:

Is the beep you're talking about just the beeping sound that comes from being idle for too long? What else is the case for beeping?

Wheel beeps when the lift sensor detects my hand, wheel beeps when I make setting changes in the app, and so forth.  I want to completely disable the beeps unless it is a speed warning or a serious fault.

1 hour ago, padluka said:

What does hold it in place? Tape?

Velcro which comes with the seat. You have to stick the fuzzy side on top of the wheel so you will no longer be able to see through the transparent top because the Velcro is blocking the view unfortunately.  I like the extra protection it affords.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kingsong second hand eucs said:

Is that the black plastic part?

Yes, it "clicks" out if enough force is applied.

Sending wheel back to the store next week. Hopefully they can fix the battery issue

On 3/27/2024 at 3:55 PM, Bookmark said:

Wheel beeps when the lift sensor detects my hand, wheel beeps when I make setting changes in the app, and so forth.  I want to completely disable the beeps unless it is a speed warning or a serious fault.

Yeah my apologies, confirming on my end the lift sensor beeps are like the only thing that can't be reduced on the app.

I found what my oscillating noise was - the alignment on my mudguard is off. There's a plastic inner frame rail that holds the mudguard and it's bent inward on one side just enough to catch tire hairs on one section of the tire. Trimming them silences the sound, but it leads to the next issue:

The left side of my suspension frame for some reason has 4 washers installed vs the right side having 2 which is causing a rubbing point on one side. Not sure how to remove that bolt to get to the washers, as the bearing in the arm is in quite tight, and I'm reluctant to take a mallet to it before asking around for a proper procedure.

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2024 at 6:18 AM, padluka said:

Yes, it "clicks" out if enough force is applied.

Sending wheel back to the store next week. Hopefully they can fix the battery issue

All right,thanks.

I think kingsong will help you replace/repair the battery. It's good to talk under warranty. 

Edited by Kingsong second hand eucs
add

I’ll document my wheel’s percentage:voltage interaction here because I feel it’s wildly inaccurate. 

*Note KS just pushed an update this morning but all these pics have been running on 2.42 logic and 1.69 BMS.

Top 3 pics are from two short runs yesterday and the lower 6 are splits from this morning’s 1 hour outing.
IMG_3220.thumb.jpeg.83ceefd6ba1ff033c8da351d651ce300.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, slippyfeet said:

I’ll document my wheel’s percentage:voltage interaction here because I feel it’s wildly inaccurate. 

*Note KS just pushed an update this morning but all these pics have been running on 2.42 logic and 1.69 BMS.

Top 3 pics are from two short runs yesterday and the lower 6 are splits from this morning’s 1 hour outing.
IMG_3220.thumb.jpeg.83ceefd6ba1ff033c8da351d651ce300.jpeg

This is wild. Is it possible that one half of the battery pack is not working properly?

18 minutes ago, WoID said:

This is wild. Is it possible that one half of the battery pack is not working properly?

According to the BMS on the app, all the cells balance at the correct volts.. But of course that in itself still doesn't instill much confidence. Who knows?

What I do know for sure though is 99% at 80V is very wrong - I could do 4 min loop around my street at 15mph and it drops to "87%", bring the wheel back in, powering off and turning it back on would ramp the percentage right back up to 97. I nearly got stranded on my first ride out the box 2 weeks ago when the wheel read "80%" and I barely made it home with low battery beeps at 18 miles (30km) ^ nearly identical to this ride I monitored.

I'll get the new firmware installed later today to see if that fixes my issues. 

Hi there,

My suitcase's retractable handle is completely stuck and I can't get it out. Does anyone know how to fix it?

21 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

I'll get the new firmware installed later today to see if that fixes my issues. 

More dramas unfolded for me with this:
IMG_3221.thumb.png.71f9ed0a8ea9500b1b30b937c8344772.pngI updated the BMS to v1.80 and initially things were fixed.

here’s a screenshot of the before and after percentage readings.IMG_3259.thumb.jpeg.860da2502804297bcf67a019c2768539.jpeg

batteries topped out and balanced so I took a 30km ride. Numbers move much more linear, still quite the power hog though.IMG_3257.thumb.jpeg.0abe2b5db155d16805a487fe1106aab1.jpeg

However, charging it after this ride brought another issue. After nearly 2 hours, the wheel was reading 87% with the amps ramped down to ~1A. I checked the app and I lost connection to one battery pack.IMG_3258.thumb.jpeg.5c6c137471360e6229b98447d2a2c246.jpeg

Tried reinstalling 1.80 but errored out a bunch of times, so I reflashed the motherboard v2.42, downgraded the BMS to 1.69, then back up to 1.80 which prompted 2 straight minutes of KS app notifications “Battery Malfunction” until the update completed on the wheel’s screen. Restarted the wheel and I got connection back on the left pack reading ~4.1V on all the cells. Rode around my street under 15kph watching the app for any more errors, thankfully it all checked out as normal again..

Software is a mess on this wheel, but as a long term 18XL rider I have still been giving KingSong a chance here..🤷🙏

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Anyone know when KingSong starts throttling the speed on these KS S16PRO models ?

That is, 50 miles seem to be the range with limping  home... anyone know roughly what the "max speed to throttle" range is ? 

I get less than 20mi out of my old trusty S18 before it chokes and have me riding at 18-20mph which is too slow and sketchy for traffic around here...