Kingsong S16 coming...

Mango

On 12/1/2023 at 10:14 PM, ORDO NOVUS said:

look at my mutant s18 with 4 parallel batteries, even in this configuration, it is only 27kg and rigid as hell

so, no excuses for kingsong making a 30kg disaster, using no previous experience.

even s22 was fail machine without "roller mode" that was stolen by kicksong from russian euc customizer.

it is year 2024, 5 years since first batch of s18 and no lessons were learned by them.

they could add 2kg to s18 - additional battery and make lighter and better wheel, but no - seems that they lost understanding of their ancestor technology.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Nice mod ! :cheers:

And how do I mount 3600 wh batteries in my RS19? In fact, the only thing I could want from a future wheel; An RS19 with 3600 wh.   But I have written and said that many times before - unfortunately that is not the way the wind blows, sigh

Edited by Robse

16 hours ago, Robse said:

Nice mod ! :cheers:

And how do I mount 3600 wh batteries in my RS19? In fact, the only thing I could want from a future wheel; An RS19 with 3600 wh.   But I have written and said that many times before - unfortunately that is not the way the wind blows, sigh

you can take controller,batteries and motor from lynx i think, and push it inside of rs19 chasis. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, okvp said:

S18 V2 weights only 24,2 kg

monokoleso-kingsong-s18-6.jpg

w/ HH-motor 24.6kg. But this motor 30mm not 33mm as S22 Pro. And suspension system of S18 works worse S22/S19. Lower pedals. Also S18 is too fragile.. 

On 12/2/2023 at 7:05 PM, Funky said:

You can't compare 16x to 16/19s... Which are completely new, just released wheels. As 16x all bugs and things like that where fixed long ago!

Also 16x is a solid wheel. Nothing like "these" new wheels.

you have to read what my response was to, then it makes sense.

7 hours ago, Taras said:

monokoleso-kingsong-s18-6.jpg

w/ HH-motor 24.6kg. But this motor 30mm not 33mm as S22 Pro. And suspension system of S18 works worse S22/S19. Lower pedals. Also S18 is too fragile.. 

not to mention the monstrous difference in torque - 2800w 16" wheel vs 2200w 18" wheel.

I’m interested only, very interested in starting a euc journey. My interest is “buy once, cry once, i’m good” euc. 25mph max (only for city commuting), suspension (old ass knees), lightweight (2 sets of stairs), so if a 50lb suspensioned euc were available i’d jump on it, i think. I think 66lb maybe. But whatever i decide on, crash guards on me and the euc will be highly desired for vanity and life reasons. Maybe the s16 will come in at 65 lbs.

Neophyte eyes on the s16, hoping it comes in under 30kg as many city dwellers don’t have elevators, like me. I don’t care for speed, unless you call 25mph “speed” which is the legal limit and all i need. Then, i wait for the reviewers to say “it is a-ok” in quality control, no cut-offs to send flying into traffic, no suspension issues (i’m old), won’t catch fire and burn my house down, bms is well manufactured, and it rides smooth as butter. I like the s19 but 72lbs.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Uras said:

you have to read what my response was to, then it makes sense.

I did and my point still stays the same.

You where talking about how 16X is great. You can't compare that to new S16. Which is completely different wheel. 

It would be the same as i would compare my 18XL to S22. 

As you said: One has been out many years trusted wheel that has been tested for many years. Without any problems - all bug fixed - also V1. V2 been revised. (Updated motor, Shell, Trolley handle.) And S22 being new had many, MANY!!! problems.

S16 is completely new just out of factory. GOD knows how bad it is!

As you said abut waiting before buying - Actually releases start after batch 2/3.. Anything before = prototype. Meaning you need to wait 1 year at least, if you want a problem free working wheel right out of box. (Yes any wheel will work out of box.... I'm talking about unseen problems that batch 1 wheels have!)

Edited by Funky

16 hours ago, Funky said:

I did and my point still stays the same.

You where talking about how 16X is great. You can't compare that to new S16. Which is completely different wheel. 

It would be the same as i would compare my 18XL to S22. 

As you said: One has been out many years trusted wheel that has been tested for many years. Without any problems - all bug fixed - also V1. V2 been revised. (Updated motor, Shell, Trolley handle.) And S22 being new had many, MANY!!! problems.

S16 is completely new just out of factory. GOD knows how bad it is!

As you said abut waiting before buying - Actually releases start after batch 2/3.. Anything before = prototype. Meaning you need to wait 1 year at least, if you want a problem free working wheel right out of box. (Yes any wheel will work out of box.... I'm talking about unseen problems that batch 1 wheels have!)

No. It was in response to this: "I hear KingSong hasn't exactly been the most reliable lately either, but maybe I'm willing to give 'em a chance."

We have two ks wheels and no issues - this is in reply to ks as a brand vs reliability.

I'm also one who always says "wait at least a year". In this respect ks is no better than inmotion or any other brand it seems.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Uras said:

No. It was in response to this: "I hear KingSong hasn't exactly been the most reliable lately either, but maybe I'm willing to give 'em a chance."

Yup - i saw..

51 minutes ago, Uras said:

We have two ks wheels and no issues - this is in reply to ks as a brand vs reliability.

Yes - Kind of.. They can duck it up any time. S22 has motor slippage/weak motherboards, shet sliders at start. What i'm trying to say is - you don't know all the "hidden" issues S16 may have at start.

51 minutes ago, Uras said:

I'm also one who always says "wait at least a year". In this respect ks is no better than inmotion or any other brand it seems.

Ducking Yeah! Same do i. And i don't care about brand also - product is what matters.

• Confused 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:41 AM, Cobaltsaber said:

Didnt see these comparison pics here, but the size of the s16 is making it super appealing to me. It'll be the smallest suspension wheel yet. If they can pull this wheel off with similar torque to the 16x (which out torqued some 100v wheels in its generation) and have more robust electronics than the s22, then I think the s16 will be a sleeper hit.

image_2023-12-07_00-30-25.png

image_2023-12-07_00-30-06.png

@Cobaltsaber Where did you find these size comparison pics?

I wanted a database with this kind of comparison between the EUCs in the market.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I own the S16 Pro and have a couple of thoughts on it.  It is a fun wheel to ride but it feels kind of cheap.  Resting my hand on the front bumper makes it flex and it has a high probability of breaking due to cheap/thin material.  The trolley kinda sucks - it does not lock in place and the wheel wants to fall on its side more than other wheels I've ridden.  Not sure if it is because of the 50S batteries but it seems to get less range than expected.  Your choice of ambient lighting is either rainbow or completely off - I hope KS releases a firmware update that allows setting the LED lights to a single color.  The power pads are kind of floppy and use bargain bin velcro that doesn't stick that well.  The suspension feels kinda stiff and I'm hoping they'll get better over time.

Pedals - I hate them.  The toe and heel actually sit lower than the middle section.  WTF?!?  It makes me feel like I have less real estate for my feet and cannot understand why KS designed the pedals the way they did.  I feel like my feet may slip off the pedal - the pedals also need adjustable dihedral angle.  Waiting patiently for Nylonove to release a S16 compatible pedal. 

Positives include good torque for an 84v wheel.  Maneuverable.  Smart BMS which is uncommon on lower cost wheels.  Might be the most compact suspension wheel until the Begode Falcon is released.  The compact shape and relatively light weight along with acceptable power/speed/range was the primary reason I got the S16 Pro.  If that wasn't one of main criteria, I would have skipped the S16 Pro and gone for the IM V14 instead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I own S16 for couple of days now. This is my second wheel(so not much to compare to) - riding it is fun for me. And I have several issues with it:

1) Mine came with right battery fully charged and left battery fully discharged. Still in process of getting it to fully charge(I'm in contact with customer support about it)

2) Trolley handle does not fix in upper position, making going down the stairs tricky. Also trolley handle is very hard to pull out/push in (had no time to clean and lube it yet)

3) When wheel goes to limp mode - it's trying to ride backwards by itself. You need to hold it tight enough.

4) Beeps. It loves to beep and you can't adjust the volume. It's very annoying, can't charge it in the office without disturbing colleagues.

5) Build quality in general is cheap. Parts on both handles do not fit each other well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, padluka said:

I own S16 for couple of days now. This is my second wheel(so not much to compare to) - riding it is fun for me. And I have several issues with it:

1) Mine came with right battery fully charged and left battery fully discharged. Still in process of getting it to fully charge(I'm in contact with customer support about it)

2) Trolley handle does not fix in upper position, making going down the stairs tricky. Also trolley handle is very hard to pull out/push in (had no time to clean and lube it yet)

3) When wheel goes to limp mode - it's trying to ride backwards by itself. You need to hold it tight enough.

4) Beeps. It loves to beep and you can't adjust the volume. It's very annoying, can't charge it in the office without disturbing colleagues.

5) Build quality in general is cheap. Parts on both handles do not fit each other well.

The beeps are really annoying, how did I forget to mention that :)  One time I was in a cafe and the wheel suddenly started beeping. It was embarrassing and people were probably wondering if my wheel was going to explode.  It turns out that the wheel will initiate a power down if you leave it idle for too long and it will emit a series of beeps to let you know... and you can't turn off the alarm...

It certainly feels like KS cut corners to keep the price low...

2 hours ago, Bookmark said:

The beeps are really annoying, how did I forget to mention that :)  One time I was in a cafe and the wheel suddenly started beeping. It was embarrassing and people were probably wondering if my wheel was going to explode.  It turns out that the wheel will initiate a power down if you leave it idle for too long and it will emit a series of beeps to let you know... and you can't turn off the alarm...

It certainly feels like KS cut corners to keep the price low...

You can turn off all the startup/power-off/ etc sounds via the KS Soft tuner app, and the power-down timer can be adjusted in both apps.

My experience with my S16 Pro is also a very mixed bag.
-BMS errors on 2 separate days while charging. 5-6 minutes of panic then it went away - I had to reinstall the v1.69 firmware from Soft tuner as I was told the error was just a software bug. 
-Battery percent reading doesn't line up with actual voltage (eg. "99%" @ 80V) Topping off a charge it would show 100% for 2 hours while it goes the rest of the way and balances cells.
-Weird rubbing noise emitting from each tire oscillation 2 days out of the box. I've been in contact with eWheels about it trying to diagnose what it could be as I was told it's not the bearing, and I can't find any obstructions.
-A small amount of play on my right pedal, I assume the hanger rod isn't completely straight..
-Stock pads (upper piece) is unusable for me, I drop my knees forward to accelerate rather than leaning from my waist and there's not enough angle on them. I only use the bottom toe blocks which do substantially improve the riding characteristics.
- Range is lower than I expected about 30mi from 100% to 28%. What surprised me is how my max speed plummets at 35% battery giving me an alarm at 42kph. 

Positives: at least it works mechanically, right?:efefc8626c:
As my first suspension wheel, It's been a much needed experience. The jarring road surfaces I ride through that shift my feet on my 18XL are completely deadened by this wheel. The rollers are smooth and the rebound/dampening adjustments offer noticeable dynamics.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Bookmark said:

I own the S16 Pro and have a couple of thoughts on it.  It is a fun wheel to ride but it feels kind of cheap.  Resting my hand on the front bumper makes it flex and it has a high probability of breaking due to cheap/thin material.  The trolley kinda sucks - it does not lock in place and the wheel wants to fall on its side more than other wheels I've ridden.  Not sure if it is because of the 50S batteries but it seems to get less range than expected.  Your choice of ambient lighting is either rainbow or completely off - I hope KS releases a firmware update that allows setting the LED lights to a single color.  The power pads are kind of floppy and use bargain bin velcro that doesn't stick that well.  The suspension feels kinda stiff and I'm hoping they'll get better over time.

Pedals - I hate them.  The toe and heel actually sit lower than the middle section.  WTF?!?  It makes me feel like I have less real estate for my feet and cannot understand why KS designed the pedals the way they did.  I feel like my feet may slip off the pedal - the pedals also need adjustable dihedral angle.  Waiting patiently for Nylonove to release a S16 compatible pedal. 

Positives include good torque for an 84v wheel.  Maneuverable.  Smart BMS which is uncommon on lower cost wheels.  Might be the most compact suspension wheel until the Begode Falcon is released.  The compact shape and relatively light weight along with acceptable power/speed/range was the primary reason I got the S16 Pro.  If that wasn't one of main criteria, I would have skipped the S16 Pro and gone for the IM V14 instead.

Very interesting perspective! I'm sorry to hear your experience with it hasn't been a good one. My experience was vastly different, surprisingly. I demoed the S16 Pro for a week and thought that for the price tag, this is a very well made wheel. The front handle definitely was lower-quality feeling and I expect that to break in a crash. I didn't experience the same issues that you had with the trolley handle, and the one I used was actually one of the positives. I also didn't have the same experience as you with the pedals being convex. It definitely seems like the one you got was a dud, QC-wise. :( I just released a video that was largely positive about it. My biggest complaints were 1. the tire (!!!!) 2. the motherboard cover, and 3. the front lift handle. Considering the price of the V11 was $2200 USD a few years ago and the S16 Pro is more full-featured than that (and better build quality IMHO) for a lower price... I think the S16 Pro is a great value.

Edited by WheelGoodTime
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, slippyfeet said:

You can turn off all the startup/power-off/ etc sounds via the KS Soft tuner app, and the power-down timer can be adjusted in both apps.

My experience with my S16 Pro is also a very mixed bag.
-BMS errors on 2 separate days while charging. 5-6 minutes of panic then it went away - I had to reinstall the v1.69 firmware from Soft tuner as I was told the error was just a software bug. 
-Battery percent reading doesn't line up with actual voltage (eg. "99%" @ 80V) Topping off a charge it would show 100% for 2 hours while it goes the rest of the way and balances cells.
-Weird rubbing noise emitting from each tire oscillation 2 days out of the box. I've been in contact with eWheels about it trying to diagnose what it could be as I was told it's not the bearing, and I can't find any obstructions.
-A small amount of play on my right pedal, I assume the hanger rod isn't completely straight..
-Stock pads (upper piece) is unusable for me, I drop my knees forward to accelerate rather than leaning from my waist and there's not enough angle on them. I only use the bottom toe blocks which do substantially improve the riding characteristics.
- Range is lower than I expected about 30mi from 100% to 28%. What surprised me is how my max speed plummets at 35% battery giving me an alarm at 42kph. 

Positives: at least it works mechanically, right?:efefc8626c:
As my first suspension wheel, It's been a much needed experience. The jarring road surfaces I ride through that shift my feet on my 18XL are completely deadened by this wheel. The rollers are smooth and the rebound/dampening adjustments offer noticeable dynamics.

I might be looking at the wrong place but the Sound Effects settings in the app is completely blank on my Android phone. Screenshot attached.  Speaking of tire oscillation, I can feel a slight vibration when I'm carving that I haven't noticed on my other wheels.

KingSongSoundEffects.jpg

30 minutes ago, WheelGoodTime said:

Very interesting perspective! I'm sorry to hear your experience with it hasn't been a good one. My experience was vastly different, surprisingly. I demoed the S16 Pro for a week and thought that for the price tag, this is a very well made wheel. The front handle definitely was lower-quality feeling and I expect that to break in a crash. I didn't experience the same issues that you had with the trolley handle, and the one I used was actually one of the positives. I also didn't have the same experience as you with the pedals being convex. It definitely seems like the one you got was a dud, QC-wise. :( I just released a video that was largely positive about it. My biggest complaints were 1. the tire (!!!!) 2. the motherboard cover, and 3. the front lift handle. Considering the price of the V11 was $2200 USD a few years ago and the S16 Pro is more full-featured than that (and better build quality IMHO) for a lower price... I think the S16 Pro is a great value.

Nice, I've watched and liked all your EUC videos. Keep up the good work!  I wouldn't say my experience is a bad one and I don't regret buying the wheel (yet).  It is the best small trunk wheel if you want something with a ~3000w motor and suspension.  For everything else, I ride the Lynx. 

Some things can be fixed, such as replacing the pedal and software updates (hopefully). Fortunately I ordered mine with a street tire and I have a seat that cost $61 from Aliexpress (sale ends today).

I forgot to mention another nitpick.  The Trolley handle doesn't lock. That's another reason why I feel KS cut corners compared to other wheels I've owned, including the 18XL and also the V11 which I felt had better fit and finish. I would say that it is a good value but the V11y is currently $1900 and if someone were to ask me which wheel I'd recommend, I'd pick the V11y over the S16 Pro unless you specifically wanted the higher torque or compactness of the S16 Pro.

BTW, did you feel any vibration through the pedals when carving on the S16?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bookmark said:

I might be looking at the wrong place but the Sound Effects settings in the app is completely blank on my Android phone. Screenshot attached.  Speaking of tire oscillation, I can feel a slight vibration when I'm carving that I haven't noticed on my other wheels.

KingSongSoundEffects.jpg

I just checked and unfortunately the Soft Tuner app is an iOS phone/ipad one. Hopefully you have access to an Apple device - a few years back I had to use android to set my 18XL tiltback as iOS wouldn’t let me change my speed alarms at all. 

IMG_3171.png

1 hour ago, slippyfeet said:

I just checked and unfortunately the Soft Tuner app is an iOS phone/ipad one. Hopefully you have access to an Apple device - a few years back I had to use android to set my 18XL tiltback as iOS wouldn’t let me change my speed alarms at all. 

Oh cool.  I happen to have some apple devices laying around somewhere I can test out.  Thanks! 

Update: Using the soft tuner I could customize some of the sounds but there is no option to turn off, alter, or lower the volume of the beeps...  Maybe I'm just blind and can't find where that option is in their crappy app.

Edited by Bookmark
new info.

2 hours ago, Bookmark said:

Oh cool.  I happen to have some apple devices laying around somewhere I can test out.  Thanks! 

Update: Using the soft tuner I could customize some of the sounds but there is no option to turn off, alter, or lower the volume of the beeps...  Maybe I'm just blind and can't find where that option is in their crappy app.

I’ll check again after work as I recalled seeing a “none” option on the top of some sound settings the last time I connected to my wheel. I’ll keep you posted

To add to my previous post - trolley handle completely stuck. Can't open it at all, 3rd day of riding, ~50km, no crashes.

While trying to pull the trolley handle out - couple of times accidentaly "disassembled" front handle.

Starting to regret my choice..