Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

8 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

And for what it’s worth, if the rest of the specs align as well, I’d be more than ready to be a 1st batch tester this time as well

Firstly, this wheel doesn't sound like it's going to be V11 light. Secondly, are you saying you are willing to buy a 1st batch wheel, or are you are hoping that you can be one of the few international testers, should there be one.

The Adventure sounds like that it's a all new from the ground up wheel. I am hoping Inmotion doesn't do any less testing than the V13 before commencing production. 

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I do like their ambition. I've given up on hoping for cheap (2000 or less) competitive performance wheels (RS-like), so they might as well go fo the cutting edge if you likely have to pay 3000 and up.

Just a guesting what is you main ride these days?

And how would you see improvement needed for you to change or upgrade that? 

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

Firstly, this wheel doesn't sound like it's going to be V11 light. Secondly, are you saying you are willing to buy a 1st batch wheel, or are you are hoping that you can be one of the few international testers, should there be one.

The Adventure sounds like that it's a all new from the ground up wheel. I am hoping Inmotion doesn't do any less testing than the V13 before commencing production. 

I have not been in the loope lately. But I had some pre V13 feedback meeting with people at Inmotion. Back then they changed their game plan the result is what you are getting glimpse of now. 

I were very early on the V11. I wouldn't hesitate to do what @Elwoodsays too if the option bid itself. Some will call it fanboy. I just see it as a fan with some insight that gave me expectations. And why I didn't see a fit with V13.

But my wallet is warming up these days.... For some of the options coming. 

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I also heard from Cecily that their next wheel “It’s coming soon”.

This wait is infuriating!

On second thought, Inmotion's next wheel can also be the V13 with more battery. 

I guess we will have to wait and see, unless there is more info forthcoming. 

18 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Just a guesting what is you main ride these days?

And how would you see improvement needed for you to change or upgrade that? 

My old ass ACM is the only ride I have. What I want is a 3600Wh+ wheel (whenever I think about a compromise, I come to the conclusion less just isn't what I'll be happy with) with suspension that is not crazy heavy and not crazy expensive, and has enough build quality for 5+ years for the money it costs. Or the same with a smaller battery with a fair price. Remember when you could get a top wheel (RS) for like 2000?

Honestly, I'm just undecisive about what I should do. For that kind of money, stuff needs to be a little more perfect than it is right now. Maybe this Inmotion wheel will do the trick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I’m definitely not expecting to be asked to be a tester, but I’m in for the first public batch no problem. I see Masters, EX20s, S22s etc having severe reliability issues still after what, 4 batches or something?

I might be missing something.  I ride the Ex20s but am not aware of reliability problems.  Could you elaborate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You're not wrong. But if the tire change is really quick (as in: <1 minute, toolless) then people can change their tires on a whim like they change their t-shirts. And that might lead to more frequent tire changes just for fun, and an entire new quality of what EUC-riding can be. You could literally take different tires with you on a ride (in their plastic, ring-shaped boxes) and use them as you like (ride to the mountain with a road tire, ride it up with an offroad tire, put on your spiked tire and continue on the glacier - like this).

And here i'm riding with one tire - not planning to change till the tread is gone. :D 

Only pro is for winter/summer tire change would be quit easy. Aside of that, i would never imagine anyone carrying a "spare" tire with them around. And doing tire changes just for "fun". :D Sir you have blown my mind.

changing the topic abit, i hope inmotion gives an adventure to leahy so he can abuse it on the jumping courses that he rides...it would be interesting to see how it takes this extreme riding/jumping...

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

4 batches or something? Inmotion is the only one I’d trust with a 1st batch wheel.

Fair enough. In terms of early batch issues, I tend to agree that the V13 did relatively well. However, I thought the Sherman-S did well as well. I am excluding abuses.

Curious as to why you won't consider first batch Veteran wheels, yet you would with Inmotion wheels?

It doesn't mater how great company and how great previous release have been. At some point any company can drop a massive lemon ball.

Looking back at previous release.. And thinking that next release also will be great. Is just asking for trouble. 

Even if i knew 99% that there is no chance of them messing anything up. I still would choose 3rd/4th batch. Because by that time wheel will be already tested. And you will know 100% what you're getting.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paradox said:

I might be missing something.  I ride the Ex20s but am not aware of reliability problems.  Could you elaborate?

I haven’t watched the EX20S threads very closely, so I have no idea how widespread it is, but a local rider has had too many issues for me to be comfortable with, and just today he posted how a mosfet fried when braking lightly on level ground. I have no actual data or statistics, it’s just the impression I’ve gotten.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Curious as to why you won't consider first batch Veteran wheels, yet you would with Inmotion wheels?

ShermS 1st batch pedals were rusted, a few of them cracked, pedal design was bad, suspension drags to the battery casing, shock bracket cracks when tightened properly, and shock’s top end cuts into your leg (not a 1st batch issue, unless it would be changed, which I doubt). All 1st batch buyers got a package of stuff from Veteran to fix the issues, so they were covered. But it’s largely about the design philosophy as well. Read on:

On the Patton, the charge port is really difficult to get to, and the start up beep is horribly loud. Both really stupid mistakes that should’ve been catched before reaching even the first tester. And both affect the daily usage tremendously.

Inmotion seems to think through the usability aspect much further. The ergonomics are great, nothing pressing sharply against your leg, power on sounds and other tones (except alarms) can be silenced, charge port is comfortable to use, handle design works great, headlights have been the best in the industry (by far) since V11, anyone can find their optimal riding behavior (if taken a little time to learn all the adjustments), etc. The list is long. I don’t have to worry that there would be something that should’ve been really obvious to fix, that would make me annoyed or dislike the wheel.

Sure there were a few 1st batch issues with the V11 as well, that were later fixed. They were the first to use a hollow core motor, so the fact that large bearings require a separate cover was an understandable surprise.  The rest were too small to bother me, despite having learned to be quite picky with wheels.

31 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Sure there were a few 1st batch issues with the V11 as well, that were later fixed. They were the first to use a hollow core motor, so the fact that large bearings require a separate cover was an understandable surprise.  The rest were too small to bother me, despite having learned to be quite picky with wheels.

Don't forget about V12. And their mosfet fiasco.. ;) (How long did they have that problem? 2 years?) I wonder if V5/8/10 also had problems.

At some point begode becomes even a dream company. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Don't forget about V12. And their mosfet fiasco.. ;) (How long did they have that problem? 2 years?)

For the first 6 or so months there were no notable issues. So while using 100V mosfets were clearly an oversight, I’m not sure what to think about the issue. Maybe there was truth in their explanation of getting a bad batch of mosfets.

The first issues I read about were in Nov or Dec ‘21. By spring ‘22 they were shipping redesigned controllers around the world. 

4 hours ago, Funky said:

I wonder if V5/8/10 also had problems.

V10 had an insufficient battery seal in some models, so they designed a box to put the battery in. IIRC it was free to all V10 customers.

4 hours ago, Funky said:

At some point begode becomes even a dream company. :D 

What creates this illusion is that nobody expects a Begode to have no issues, or even only a few issues. So they don’t talk about them. All local Begodes after Nikola have gone through numerous replacements and repairs and fixing design failures. And none of them talk about them in this forum.

The first V13 overlean was a great example. People had been overleaning their Masters left and right, and no-one thought of it as an issue. And the first guy who overleans the V13 when he tries to accelerate to 90km/h as fast as possible, without slowing down before that, and ignoring all warnings… All hell breaks loose, and the internet explodes. “They promised that the V13 will never cut out!” Gimme a break.

At least they found out that the tilt-back indeed wasn’t foolproof. Literally.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The first V13 overlean was a great example. People had been overleaning their Masters left and right, and no-one thought of it as an issue. And the first guy who overleans the V13 when he tries to accelerate to 90km/h as fast as possible, without slowing down before that, and ignoring all warnings… All hell breaks loose, and the internet explodes. “They promised that the V13 will never cut out!” Gimme a break.

At least they found out that the tilt-back indeed wasn’t foolproof. Literally.

Huh? I didn't know begode had so much problems. - No-one is talking about them? Why doh.. It's the same EUC between your legs. (Some cases time bomb..) But still it's same EUC. Yet no-one is talking about their problems??? Double standards much? Every single EUC should be tested and so on. If any of them fail it is automatically a fail. I don't get the double standards..

Didn't Inmotion say the rider could go those speeds? Marketing and such..(Don't really know the case..) But if they said it could go those speeds - wheel simply didn't deliver what it should have. If i bought a wheel that was marketed for 90km/h speeds and it didn't go the 90km/h speeds, i would be kinda upset.. If it had 140km/h free spin speed, it should handle 90km/h. :D I can see the other way around, as Inmotion didn't deliver what it said. (False marketing.) That's why there was the uproar.

Does begode "false" market something? Do they even do "marketing"? They simply show on paper "stats". If wheel does what it needs to do = everything alright.

Everyone knows if you go over the limits of wheel, you will overlean it and such.. In begode case it's mostly because what type of riders choose begode.. (The BMX jumper/racer types.) So it's kinda riders fault for going over limits. Again the type of people who go for begode are more risk takers and such.

Going from memory - Inmotion simply didn't deliver what it promised. (At least what they showed in marketing videos and such.) Luckily most people would never go 90km/h speeds.. So.. They are fine and dandy. :D 

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I haven’t watched the EX20S threads very closely, so I have no idea how widespread it is, but a local rider has had too many issues for me to be comfortable with, and just today he posted how a mosfet fried when braking lightly on level ground. I have no actual data or statistics, it’s just the impression I’ve gotten.

ShermS 1st batch pedals were rusted, a few of them cracked, pedal design was bad, suspension drags to the battery casing, shock bracket cracks when tightened properly, and shock’s top end cuts into your leg (not a 1st batch issue, unless it would be changed, which I doubt). All 1st batch buyers got a package of stuff from Veteran to fix the issues, so they were covered. But it’s largely about the design philosophy as well. Read on:

On the Patton, the charge port is really difficult to get to, and the start up beep is horribly loud. Both really stupid mistakes that should’ve been catched before reaching even the first tester. And both affect the daily usage tremendously.

Inmotion seems to think through the usability aspect much further. The ergonomics are great, nothing pressing sharply against your leg, power on sounds and other tones (except alarms) can be silenced, charge port is comfortable to use, handle design works great, headlights have been the best in the industry (by far) since V11, anyone can find their optimal riding behavior (if taken a little time to learn all the adjustments), etc. The list is long. I don’t have to worry that there would be something that should’ve been really obvious to fix, that would make me annoyed or dislike the wheel.

Conveniently overlooking the V12 underspec'ed mosfets and the fact that it took them nearly 2 yrs to resolve them?  Or the numerous V11 fires due to a poor initial choice in cells?  Or the weak motor bolts in the V13?  

Funny that you call out the minor inconvenience issues of the Patton and disregard some major Inmotion problems.  Hopefully Inmotion has learned from their mistakes.  The Adventure is going to have several firsts for Inmotion though, so perhaps waiting for batch 3 or 4 is a good idea across the board.

Edit: I should have read the full thread before posting..I see that the V12 mosfets were already brought up.

Edited by Rollin-on-1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Huh? I didn't know begode had so much problems. - No-one is talking about them?

Read the Master thread. And the T4 thread. But only in small doses if you are easily depressed…

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Double standards much?

Oh absolutely!

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Didn't Inmotion say the rider could go those speeds?

Sure. And 99% of them crazy riders who were brave enough to try were happily riding at 90km/h before the incident.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

wheel simply didn't deliver what it should have.

Nobody has ever said about any self-balancing vehicle that it would stay upright under any and all circumstances.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Does begode "false" market something?

I’m not sure if they announce the max “safe” riding speed. Their distributors do though. But guess what, Begodes can also be overleaned below the max “safe” speed.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Everyone knows if you go over the limits of wheel, you will overlean it and such..

Huh?? Make up your mind, which is it? The wheel must deliver, or the rider shouldn’t go over the limits?

Any EUC can be overleaned at any speed with enough intent. Imagine installing hard core pads on your 18XL and doing three times the MJ lean you have ever done, and never back off. What do you think would happen??

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Conveniently overlooking the V12 underspec'ed mosfets and the fact that it took them nearly 2 yrs to resolve them?

Where is this 2 years coming from? It’s barely a 2 year old wheel!

Or the numerous V11 fires due to a poor initial choice in cells?

How many are there exactly?

Or the weak motor bolts in the V13?

As far as I know they have only snapped on units that have been opened up and either not tightened to spec or not using threadlocker. And then shared with the most hardcore riders there are. A few units out of maybe a thousand. I really don’t see that as an issue that concerns anyone who’s planning on buying one.

This is the issue with the current social media. If there’s a single V11 fire incident, the same incident is reported or shared on several FB groups, IG, Reddit, Amazon reviews, this forum, and several Telegram and WhatsApp chats. A few times in some of them. The impression it gives is that V11s are bursting into flames here and there. It takes effort to search for facts like it had battery issues long before the incident, and that the owner had tried to charge it with all kinds of tricks.

I have a 1st batch V11 with the “horribly dangerous” firecracker cells. But I’m not at all worried that it would suddenly burst into flames, because I take care of it and I monitor the battery health.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Read the Master thread. And the T4 thread. But only in small doses if you are easily depressed…

Meh i'm always depressed.. Can't get more depressed, if you're already dead inside. I don't really read about wheels.. I actually haven't been in any of released wheels threads much. Because they all suck ass. (At least weight wise.):D As i'm not gonna own any of them, no point reading about them.

But in sort Master/T4 suck ass? Yay/Ney?

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Huh?? Make up your mind, which is it? The wheel must deliver, or the rider shouldn’t go over the limits?

Any EUC can be overleaned at any speed with enough intent. Imagine installing hard core pads on your 18XL and doing three times the MJ lean you have ever done, and never back off. What do you think would happen??

Both! - Respect the beeps and don't be a jackass.

Ohh i don't even need the pads. :D I can trigger the overpower alarm at 10km/h speed. And pretty easily, if try to accelerate really fast from 0-20. But the way i ride - i never, ever get it. Only if i specially try.

Edited by Funky

5 hours ago, Funky said:

But in sort Master/T4 suck ass? Yay/Ney?

Don’t tell anyone I said this, but yes.

5 hours ago, Funky said:

Both! - Respect the beeps and don't be a jackass.

Exactly. The V13 rider didn’t respect the beeps nor the tilt-back (that was too soft for his aggressive demeanor).

5 hours ago, Funky said:

Ohh i don't even need the pads. :D I can trigger the overpower alarm at 10km/h speed. And pretty easily, if try to accelerate really fast from 0-20.

Now imagine if you’d ignore the overpower alarm and keep accelerating really fast. Would it be the manufacturer’s fault if the wheel would give up at 45km/h instead of 50km/h “as promised”?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Now imagine if you’d ignore the overpower alarm and keep accelerating really fast. Would it be the manufacturer’s fault if the wheel would give up at 45km/h instead of 50km/h “as promised”?

Well if my wheel is rated for "peak" 4500Watts. Anything less of that.. Hmm.. I would say manufacturer fault. As wheel died before it reached the 4500Watts.

Or one should not look at the "peak" power? But more on the regular rated power like 2200Watts? Doh i often (each ride) have gone in the 2700Watts without any warnings. (Split second dip in 2700-2800Watts i bet..) Wheel starts to alarm me, only when going over 3000Watts at longer time..

Anyways... We are getting way off topic. 2400Wh new Inmotion? :barf: If only it was something in 1200-1500Wh... 2400Wh are to close to 3600Wh - making it another Monster Trucker euc. :sleep1:

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I would say manufacturer fault. As wheel died before it reached the 4500Watts.

Peak power isn’t available at all speeds. It’s just the highest power that is available under some circumstances. Roughly, the faster you go, the less power you have.

Besides, in the V13 incident, he did surpass 10kW at about 80km/h.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

• techyiam changed the title to Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion
  • meepmeepmayer locked this topic
  • meepmeepmayer unlocked this topic