Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

8 hours ago, Flygonial said:

The part that just depends on the rotational inertia of the wheel is just a speed-dependent resistance to the wheel turning or tipping over (and even resistance to turning back upright if you’ve leaned far enough). This effect gets more pronounced in larger wheels and as I don’t intend to condescend at all, you probably already have felt this before.

Yes, the part that resists getting back up after a turn is the gyroscopic effect. And in that exact same situation it resists tilting down for the same amount. But the part that resists tilting to the side at speed is mostly the camber effect. It has a fixed turn radius at any tilt angle, that doesn’t change with speed. So when you add speed, either the tilt & turn radius or your sideways lean has to change.

Knobby tires have a much smaller camber effect, so it can feel as if the wheel were resisting getting up when in fact it’s just not helping with it the way most of us are used to. Again, forces that you feel but don’t know where they are coming from exactly.

Words like “nimble” and “playful”, and descriptions like “you’ll just know” are bad for this exact reason. They can mean several different things, and people have their own interpretations on what exactly they mean. For example, I had never before heard anyone call a wheel “nimble” because of a smaller gyro effect.

And unless I’m mistaken, rotational inertia is what causes the gyro effect, but it isn’t the same thing. Which would make talking about rotational inertia a bit misleading if you only mean the gyro effect.

30 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Which would make talking about rotational inertia a bit misleading if you only mean the gyro effect.

I, myself, see rotational inertia, gyro effects and percession as three different things, as follows:

(1) Rotational Inertia: If I rotate a flywheel forward and back, I can feel the rotational inertia.

(2) Gyro Effects: When I am making a turn at speeds on a V13 or an Abrams, I can plainly feel the gyroscopic effects, especially if I don't use the correct cornering technique. 

(3) Percession: on a motorcycle, the use of counter-steering is easiler to understand and apply. Cornering an electric wheel at higher speeds, a rider can better understand a cornering technique if the rider take percession into account. There is still a lot of trial and error experimentation to find what work best.

• Upvote 2

On 7/19/2023 at 6:11 AM, mrelwood said:

And unless I’m mistaken, rotational inertia is what causes the gyro effect, but it isn’t the same thing. Which would make talking about rotational inertia a bit misleading if you only mean the gyro effect.

Yeah, rotational inertia is directly proportional to angular momentum. Conservation of angular momentum is the gyro effect, though I can see what you’re getting at. Would have probably been less confusing for me to discuss in in more familiar terms.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:11 AM, mrelwood said:

For example, I had never before heard anyone call a wheel “nimble” because of a smaller gyro effect.

That’s actually a major part of how I always thought of it. Bigger wheel = more resistance to carving or turning at the same speed. That does confirm your point that imprecise language is a problem, I will admit.

Edited by Flygonial
grammar lol
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but September is when the Adventure should launch. 

Not far! 

Thanks for that. I think September is more specific than what I have heard before.

Isn't September also the month when the updated V13 with more battery is going to be released too?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Thanks for that. I think September is more specific than what I have heard before.

Isn't September also the month when the updated V13 with more battery is going to be released too?

I’m not sure on the plans with the updated 13. Seems like they are spinning a few plates at once though. 

Hope the launch goes well. 

• Like 1

i keep saying this, and i will say it again... it better be damn good this coming fall from inmotion...

and i stress the phrase:    damn good

ive been waiting to see if any manufacturer will design something that is innovative,  not just the "same old thing"...  hopefully, it will be a pleasant surprise.  the whole lineup...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, slippyfeet said:

MADpack just teased in a YT message he is in the works of being able to test 3 new inmotion wheels soon.  As for the "top of the range offering", it won't be until the end of the year.

I do hope that he gets back to reviewing electric wheels again.

merk,

timing wise, it looks like inmotion would rather begin 2024 poised to introduce their innovations with the riding season ahead of their release time.  this timing would hopefully boost sales numbers for their resellers since its fall-winter into spring-summer.

thanx for the post.

27 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I wonder if we can draw any conclusions about the Adventure based on the image above!! ‘Cos that would be interesting!

Big tire & small body. I like them big booty bitches. 

Spoiler

Anyways.. It's only a render. No side panels, etc.. No place for pads and could be dangerous to ride like that.

Edited by Funky

Looks like the shock is on the forward / headlamp side of the body? Looks like the mudflap is on the other side and there is a white light (though probably not the headlight) on the shock-facing side.

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Pay to be product tester and crash test dummy? Sign me up!

It makes sense, so people won't just want a free wheel in exchange for "testing". But yeah, at first glance it sounds weird. But ultimately it's a more democratic public beta test than giving to the usual Youtubers/influencers. Not sure if that has any advantages, though, what would it do? And they'll give the wheels to people with social media anyways, so I wonder if this is even different.

The good part: something is happening! New wheel!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Pay to be product tester and crash test dummy? Sign me up!

It’s definitely a bit of a raw deal, be down a few grand for a month while getting the batch before first batch. Gotta hope it’s not a cutout wheel, that the swappable battery system is fully baked and you aren’t a fire victim (you’d also hope that you’d have recourse if your wheel is defective because good luck pursuing an international lawsuit). All of that to be expected to put in about an hour of riding time each day (and you better be sending it on some trails or at least be on the road) assuming 20 mph average.

Godspeed to our guinea pig friends, hope that the best happens and they get a new wheel half off.

43 minutes ago, Flygonial said:

It’s definitely a bit of a raw deal, be down a few grand for a month while getting the batch before first batch. Gotta hope it’s not a cutout wheel, that the swappable battery system is fully baked and you aren’t a fire victim (you’d also hope that you’d have recourse if your wheel is defective because good luck pursuing an international lawsuit). All of that to be expected to put in about an hour of riding time each day (and you better be sending it on some trails or at least be on the road) assuming 20 mph average.

Godspeed to our guinea pig friends, hope that the best happens and they get a new wheel half off.

It is kind of like buying a first batch wheel in the past, but at 50% discount, or get a full refund after a month, if it is lanything like what happened to the V13. There were many domestic testers prior to sending out a few wheels to the international testers. 

Well, it is risky, but at least it is not a Gotway, nor the old Begode.

I think it is a better deal than the people who bought the first batch Abrams, or the early batches of the S22. These owners got shafted. Inmotion is better than that, even if the tester decides to keep the wheel, based on my Inmotion V12 ownership experience. Kingsong pissed off a lot of people, because of the unprecedented high numbers of preorders, and Kingsong couldn't deliver. Leaper Kim on the other hand made a small group of unhappy Abrams owners, but then they managed to bounce back with the Sherman-S and the Patton. 

There is already a little history established by the V13. And all I heard was mostly positive remarks from the international testers of the V13 after the trial was over. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, techyiam said:

It is kind of like buying a first batch wheel in the past, but at 50% discount, or get a full refund after a month, if it is like anything that happened with the V13. There were many domestic testers prior to sending out a few wheels to the international testers. 

Well, it is risky, but at least it is not a Gotway, nor the old Begode.

I think it is a better deal than the people who bought the first batch Abrams, or the early batches of the S22. These owners got shafted. Inmotion is better than that, even if the tester decides to keep the wheel, based on my Inmotion V12 ownership experience. Kingsong pissed off a lot of people, because of the unprecedented high numbers of preorders, and Kingsong couldn't deliver. Leaper Kim on the other hand made a small group of unhappy Abrams owners, but then they managed to bounce back with the Sherman-S and the Patton. 

There is already a little history established by the V13. And all I heard was mostly positive remarks from the international testers of the V13 after the trial was over. 

Oh make no mistake, I’m excited for this wheel and everything I described is theoretically the worst case. Good point on the V13 trial, but I still wouldn’t put it beyond any company to be potentially hit or miss either.

You’re right that it is better than a disastrous first batch deal. Only other thing I was wondering is if there are any consequences on your deposit for not reaching the required mileage (save for obvious breakdowns). I don’t mean to say that Inmotion would be predatory (I doubt it) but they hypothetically could also get away with screwing a few testers over if they had genuine problems go unacknowledged.

Edited by Flygonial

• techyiam changed the title to Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion
  • meepmeepmayer locked this topic
  • meepmeepmayer unlocked this topic