Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Despite disagreeing with the term because of the reasons you mentioned, I do recognize that some people do call the ShermS style suspension a hydraulic one.

I personally like the term "hydraulic suspension" for the fork-style type suspension used in electric wheels. With electric wheels, we don't have to worry about legacy baggage that can cause confusion. 

Additionally, a hydraulic shock have all the components in an oil bath inside a sealed unit. Similarly, a fork-style type suspension basically has all the components of a suspension in an oil bath, inside a sealed unit. 

Using the terms "linkage suspension" and "hydraulic suspension" to differentiate the types of suspension used on electric wheels work for me.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Different people will have different reasons as to why they prefer to call something this or that.

Another example is calling electric wheels as monowheels. In this case, I prefer to call these personal transportation devices electric wheels.

But, like anything, I will use whatever term that had caught on by the masses. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

suspect those are nominal tire sizes

There are no nominal 20” tires though. They are either 18” (nominal) bicycle tires, or motorcycle tires that go by the rim diameter (14”).

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

I am somewhat puzzled by the 4 swappable battery slots. For an electric wheel, the battery packs need to be balanced front-to-back, and side-to-side.

I am too. Battery on one side only sounds like an annoyingly unbalanced ride. Haven’t ridden an 18L though.

But I would imagine that the packs will probably be either 806Wh (18650) or 1152Wh (21700) each, since the Challengers are challenging the ShermS capacity. That way four packs would total either 3224Wh or 4608Wh. In both cases I’d go with two packs anyway.

• Like 1

I wonder what will happen once inmotion releases demo versions of the adventure to reviewers to ride and review ?  Will this cause alot of regret to those already obligated financially to their early purchases.

1 hour ago, Forwardnbak said:

i think the suspension still might surprise :) 

I was 

Thanks for a little foreshadowing. It is getting even more exciting. 

Honestly, if Inmotion could make the swappable battery system a reality, that would be a big deal, and would be trend setting for the industry, IMO. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, bpong said:

I wonder what will happen once inmotion releases demo versions of the adventure to reviewers to ride and review ?  Will this cause alot of regret to those already obligated financially to their early purchases.

There are new wheels that come out all the time. Do you regret buying your euc? 

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

There are no nominal 20” tires though. They are either 18” (nominal) bicycle tires, or motorcycle tires that go by the rim diameter (14”).

You are quite right. My bad.

I was more thinking about the the 14". To me, the Adventure Series doesn't come across as a wheel for beginners. So why offer a 14" nominal tire size option?

I only ride on pavement. Perhaps there is a use case for off road? 

Or, perhaps Inmotion wants to make available a higher-end wheel for riders of smaller stature, like for petite females, and kids?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I am too. Battery on one side only sounds like an annoyingly unbalanced ride. Haven’t ridden an 18L though.

But I would imagine that the packs will probably be either 806Wh (18650) or 1152Wh (21700) each, since the Challengers are challenging the ShermS capacity. That way four packs would total either 3224Wh or 4608Wh. In both cases I’d go with two packs anyway.

I haven't ridden an 18X, either. But, actually, I have climbed on an EX.N in a showroom riding slowly for some feet? It did feel OK. However, there have been people complaining about the out-of-balance due to one corner missing a battery pack.

If the four slots are located in the 4 corners, then we have to wait and see how well the concept will actually work.

(21700 cells, Samsung 50 E) 134.4 V system; 

But for 1 Parallel Branch:

32 x 5 Ah x 3.6 V nominal voltage x 1 Parallel Branch= 576 Wh

If put 2P into 1 pack then you get 1152 Wh pack.

But the Adventure has 4 slots. That is still a lot of battery for an Adventure wheel.

4 x 806 Wh = 3224 Wh

This is still a lot of battery even with 18650 cells.

Could Inmotion be thinking about 2P packs placed diagonally across, with the other 2 slots sitting empty?

Or, is Inmotion thinking of something else.

Edited by techyiam

The Sherman-S will be facing the 20" Inmotion Adventure, as well as the 20" Inmotion Challenger Y. 

Can't wait to test ride the 3 different Adventure models, and 2 Challenger models, and their various battery options.

I already like the way the V13 rides, can't wait to ride these other Inmotion wheels with all new suspension systems. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

At the very end of Johnny Go Vroom video, he mentioned that Inmotion is working on a racing wheel that was not included in the product line-up chart.

Anyone knows anything more about that?

Time-stamped. 

Edited by techyiam

50 minutes ago, techyiam said:

At the very end of Johnny Go Vroom video, he mentioned that Inmotion is working on a racing wheel that was not included in the product line-up chart.

Anyone knows anything more about that?

Time-stamped. 

a reinvented RS19 .... 

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

Real question to be asked...

Hide contents

How heavy?

Good point!

This could be your long awaited wheel.

Almost no suspension, no range, minimum weight, high power though.

But still could be your best bet.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

Good point!

This could be your long awaited wheel.

Almost no suspension, no range, minimum weight, high power though.

But still could be your best bet.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah... I have given up. My "dream wheel" will never see the light of a day. As there will never be a perfect wheel - wheel that has a great carrying/trolley handle, has 18x3" tire, about 1200Wh battery, goes around 55-60km/h speeds. Has solidly built suspension for me 280lbs heavy ass. Or simply no suspension at all, with beefy axle for my 280lbs heavy ass. :D Is water proofed to to teeth and built like a tank. All that under 30kg weight.

Yeah... I don't see it ever be made. I think my 18xl will be my last EUC. I may buy a new EUC when something actually "good" will be made. (I simply have to high standards.. And no need for "big" wheels.)

Edited by Funky

Just now, mrelwood said:

But for how long?? That’s the question that occupies my mind atm.

I'm okay to wait next 3-4 years.. As when i bought my 18xl, i gave it 5 years of use, before looking/buying anything new. :D (Could always sell and buy new one faster..)

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

But for how long?? That’s the question that occupies my mind atm.

Since the racing wheel is not even an official product at the moment, this leak is nothing more than a weak rumor to me.

The Inmotion Adventure is an official product and there hasn't been a timeline released for that yet.

I really think that Inmotion should be praised for their great and
time-consuming effort in redesigning not only their logo but also
their mental approach to the whole concept; to let the customer ride
a "mono"wheel where health and well-being are totally dependent on the
goodwill and thoughtfulness of the manufacturer in creating a safe product.
[irony can occur]
The latest approach to this is clearly seen in the history around v12 - and
that you sell a product (v13) that obviously can't even warn the user about
overpower correctly... unless you update the firmware (out of the box), gives the
impression of an excellent setup of quality control and engineering geniuses.
Sorry, but I haven't raised my arms over my head in excitement - yet. Lots of talk
talk - let's see action and something that might work for once - straight out of the box.

• Upvote 2

What happens when you only swap one or two packs on a wheel?  Mixing voltages from partially charged packs with ones at full charge?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Personally, I never liked swappable battery packs. They make sense in only a niche case:

I would think a primary use for having swappable packs in the age of li-ion was to separate battery / charging station from expensive machine, so if one catches fire the whole lot doesn't have to...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

There are new wheels that come out all the time. Do you regret buying your euc? 

hellkitten,

i dont regret buying my eucs,  but i havent purchased anything yet this year.  of course there are new eucs available most time.  but IMO inmotion now has made a positive change in giving the customer the ability to select a wheel and (depending on the model) select a battery size to meet their riding needs.  i appreciate inmotion trying to present their model lineup in an organized fashion.  the move is mostly cosmetic IMO,  seeing that all the other euc brands do have wheels that can satisfy beginner to 'expert' riders.  but when a manufacturer presents their brand,  and puts in some effort to explain their technology and innovations,  i find that a refreshing change from the never-ending media business driven rider review videos.  it fucking never ends, ...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I would think a primary use for having swappable packs in the age of li-ion was to separate battery / charging station from expensive machine, so if one catches fire the whole lot doesn't have to...

And how will you do that? When the pack is already on fire..? :D Sure if you see smoke right before fire. Then swappable batteries are great, as you can quickly throw the battery out of window.

But I'm with @meepmeepmayer Swappable batteries are a meh idea at best. Sure it great to have one charged and simply quick swap the empty battery. But most people don't need that. They got time to charge. Because most of the EUC's have quit a lot of range.. Meaning you don't need even charge it everyday.

I'm talking about real world use cases. Riders who don't ride around meaninglessly, but go from A to B, people who have a destination in mind.. They already know how much battery they need. 

Same thing as phone in your pocket.. Do you change your battery often? No one does it. :D All new phones have quick chargers and non-removable batteries, real power users need to charge the phone for 30 mins and ready to go. In my eyes they should start making real quick rechargeable EUC's. The smaller the battery pack the faster it will charge.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

And how will you do that? When the pack is already on fire..? :D 

Well, I'd keep the batteries separate to the machine for both charging and storage. If they are swappable we have to assume they are easy to remove and reattach.... and it's a lot easier to build a fireproof box for a couple of packs than it is for a whole wheel, just as it is easier to carry or drag a small box of flaming batteries outside !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• techyiam changed the title to Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion
  • meepmeepmayer locked this topic
  • meepmeepmayer unlocked this topic