Inmotion V12 HT board: "More durable MOS"

supercurio

14 hours ago, conecones said:

While some are minor issues, there are also reported instances of "random" faceplants on Gotway wheels. If you frequent the Gotway groups, you'll see examples of (usually new) riders cutting out "randomly" because of riding in the rain. I don't know how they missed the memo but many thought it was waterproof :lol:.

I don't think you can even introduce water-induced failures to support your argument. We all know the wheels aren't waterproof. If people choose to use them in rain then theres not much we can do if it all goes belly-up for them.

One of the early RS19's in our local group cut out at high speed from a fried mosfet. Smoke started coming out the wheel and the batteries were disconnected immediately as a safety precaution. This is a first gen large bearing RS with green board. As a result, everyone in the same group buy got free replacement black boards from Gotway.

And theres a huge amount of RS19's that haven't failed. I mean HUGE.

Because Gotway purposely doesn't tell you when they screw up.

Don't think for a minute I support this stance. I have also been very vocal about the 900Wh pack issues, so I'm no GW fanboy either.

This Inmotion problem is only getting more attention because Inmotion officially addressed it.

Don't ply them with too much backslapping. They only addressed it because the problem is more catastrophic and more widespread than any other recent wheel issue (aside from maybe the 900Wh pack problems). Inmotion knew that the ratio of V12's failing was going to cause a lot of broken bones, so they had no choice but to formally announce it. They didn't do it out of generosity I can assure you.

There's many Gotway cutouts if you look around.

I'm not blind to GW cutouts or problems. Don't forget I ran MSX's in both 84 and 100v guises so I followed a lot of chat. The point I am making is that totally random (not water induced etc etc) GW/Begode mainboard failures are in no way at the same ratio of V12 board failures, and so I still don't agree with your stance.

And Black Cobras MSPro - I have no idea why it failed. But again, there will always be random failures. It's the ratio thats important. And again, I don't need to say how many MSPros have been sold and how many of those haven't dumped the rider.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tan Ho said:

...send the wheel in and have eWheels service it. The latter option may be more expensive, but I would feel more comfortable having eWheels open up the wheel and do any necessary calibrations and such with the new controller board. ...:D

For me having a qualified technician reassemble would be worth it. Not worrying about getting water seals right is worth every penny.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nosamplesplease said:

For me having a qualified technician reassemble would be worth it. Not worrying about getting water seals right is worth every penny.

Exactly.  Thermal pads and thermal paste?  Like all I have are a few bandages and some tooth paste. I doubt they would be good substitutions.   I would send it in too.

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tan Ho said:

Contacted eWheels and they are getting several hundred controller boards for the V12. These will have the new MOSFETs. Since my controller is still good, I don't know if InMotion would pay for my replacement or not. If they won't, I'll pay out of my own pocket to either buy a new controller or send the wheel in and have eWheels service it. The latter option may be more expensive, but I would feel more comfortable having eWheels open up the wheel and do any necessary calibrations and such with the new controller board. For now, I'm not going to risk riding the V12 until I get the new controller replaced. I got plenty of other wheels I can ride in the meantime. :D

did they have any idea when these boards would be received?

steve

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

(Better to nerd out in this topic, than buried in the S20 megathread...)

:smartass::cheers:

16 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Right, calling into question "where on the map do we really operate?"...

With your above example numbers one point (mosfet on) is at Vds=1V and Id=100A. (1) This is appropriate for this Mosfet forever (DC burden) - as long as cooling is sufficient.

The other point at PWM off is at ID = 0A and Vds=?126V? - no problem neither.

22 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Turn-on rise-time is much faster (49nanoseconds for HY5012). 

For the JMSH1504AS more in the 60-90 ns Range. Even if they switch "slow" with some 200-400ns that should be no problem.

Interesting is the way during switching where the "worst point" is somewhere about 126V/2=63V and 100A/2=50A. The voltage rise and current drop is not really linear, but should be ok as a first approximation.

For this 63V and 50A one is somewhere around the 100us limit for the JMSH1504AS - seems not somehow bad, too. As this operation point will just be "visited" for a couple of ns.

37 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

- JMSH1504 (S20)                        50A

As this operation point will never be reached and so is irrelevant for S20 wheel operation

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

That is: if we were expecting "Gotway performance," I look for a maximum output condition of 100A per FET @ 40us on-time, at full battery voltage. 
But as shown above, this JJM 150V FET is only meant to supply about 50A for that condition. 

No way ever 100A with 150V with 40us pulses ever will happen. That would be 1.5kW power dissipation! Just for a short time, but still. Afair from SOA diagramms this pulses are not guaranteed to be survived if they come periodicly - one has to let the junction cool down again, before the next pulse is allowed.

Imho the most important points are how nicely switching is designed (2) and the thermal parameters (heatsink, thermal resistances, removal of (excess) heat,...)

(1) They nicely show this SOA diagramm not for 4mOhm which the mosfet has at 25°C but at 10mOhm for higher temperatures (?TJ(max)=175°C - the worst case?)

(2) Enough gate current for fast switching, nice dc-link capactors to support the drain currents, pcb layout,...

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

- HY5012 (Gotway; Leaperkim)   600A
- IPP023N10N5 (original V12)      30A
- HGP039N15M (updated V12)   180A

The IPP023N10N5 is smaller in physical size, and rated at 100 volt for a 100 volt system, is it not important?

19 hours ago, enaon said:

IPP023N10N5 is smaller in physical size

Smaller in size, lower in ratings, yes and yes.

19 hours ago, enaon said:

rated at 100 volt for a 100 volt system, is it not important

Very important... but a different problem than "too much current," which is what the 'safe operating range' map shows, that we're discussing.

Say for a moment the V12 100V FET were magically improved to survive 150V, but all its other ratings remained the same. It would still be very weak in terms of safe current output, relative to the FETs in these other similar EUC's. The outcome would be a durable EUC with weak torque; or a powerful-feeling EUC that burns up controllers easily.

[edit: maybe not so weak actually... the 23N10N5 100V FET was quite efficient, if you respect its voltage limits.]

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

- HY5012 (Gotway; Leaperkim)   600A

@Chriull - theory aside, do you share my conclusion that the peak motor current of the S20 126V controller is substantially lower than the peak motor current available with MSuper RS 100V? 

(Or, was there some reason the component specs didn't convince you?)

:popcorn:

6 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Say for a moment the V12 100V FET were magically improved to survive 150V, but all its other ratings remained the same. It would still be very weak in terms of safe current output, relative to the FETs in these other similar EUC's. The outcome would be a durable EUC with weak torque; or a powerful-feeling EUC that burns up controllers easily.

I can see what you say, I only commented because not everyone can, your post on the s20 thread was transferred like "s20~=v12 disaster" on our telegram group. :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, enaon said:

"s20~=v12 disaster"

Ah well that depends on parsing syntax... in some circles, ~= is "not equal" :D 

But right, S20 is certainly not the same disaster as V12.

Could it be a brand new sort of disaster? Only time will tell; fun to watch :) 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Ah well that depends on parsing syntax... in some circles, ~= is "not equal" :D 

But right, S20 is certainly not the same disaster as V12.

Could it be a brand new sort of disaster? Only time will tell; fun to watch :) 

I typped == and changed my mind, spelling error :)

50A x2 at 150V is very good, assuming the heat dissipation works as good as on the s18, it is the most powerful machine that can be ridden on a summer day in Greece uphill. It will not have the bite of gotway/sherman self destructing abilities, but numbers follow a balanced powerful design I think. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Thanks @Chriull for looking into it.

Where do you see that the SOA diagram for the JMSH1504AS is for 175°C junction temperature? I missed that from the datasheet.
I also read the max junction temperature to be specified at 150°C

Yes - the 175°C i mixed up with some other number ;(.

It's  a note in the soa diagramm saying Tj_max=150.

And in the SOA diagram ~10mOhm are used as Rds on which is for 150°C.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, supercurio said:

I got confirmation that the V12 HT board will use TO-247 MOS.
From previous statements, I guess it would be HY5012W then.

It means it'll be a significant departure from the original V12 batch 1&2 board. On paper it would be certainly capable of matching the "Increased max power output by 23%" and "More durable MOS" claims thanks to the change of components.

is it likely then that the v12 HS revised driver boards will match those of the V12 HT?

1 minute ago, evans036 said:

is it likely then that the v12 HS revised driver boards will match those of the V12 HT?

Maybe? In many ways it would make sense to only have 1 board for all wheels, but if the HT motor isn't different than the HS one you lose the marketing value of two variants. There's no way for me to guess—but new HS boards are rolling in CA at any rate, so we should know more shortly.

6 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

S20 stands out again, going more than twice as high into its FET ratings as Gotway

assuming the same cooling setup from the part's heat tab to ambient...