Inmotion V12 HT board: "More durable MOS"

supercurio

3 minutes ago, supercurio said:

We still don't know, but a trusted distributor told me 30% of his summer batch V10F failed also. And aren't they supposed to use the same Infineon IPP023N10N5?

It was not discussed anywhere but Inmotion has this information, although they left the distributor in the dark without answer.
This probably contributes to their conclusion that V12 failures are due to defective parts in the in the FET supply instead of a design issue.

V10 series has been out for a long time and I used to own one and now my spouse has another unit. The later unit is definitely better than my old first batch unit. It used to be very reliable (after first batch) and one of the most sold wheels. But I’ve lately noticed a lot more issues with them. Just by following the discussion here. It is certainly strange that an old design would start to fail more lately. Something strange is going on. 30 % failure rate is too much.

• Like 2

Great explanations on what might have happened and sourcing from grey markets.

Heavy handed response maybe deliberate.

To make an example, to send a message to other suppliers, to establish a reputation.

Costly in the immediate term.

Might be an investment in discouraging future cheats and save on future costs.

• Like 1

Thanks @Tawpie for the insightful story.

40 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

V10 series has been out for a long time and I used to own one and now my spouse has another unit. The later unit is definitely better than my old first batch unit. It used to be very reliable (after first batch) and one of the most sold wheels. But I’ve lately noticed a lot more issues with them. Just by following the discussion here. It is certainly strange that an old design would start to fail more lately. Something strange is going on. 30 % failure rate is too much.

Indeed an odd coincidence that new V10F units start to fail the same way on a proven design (burned MOSFET)
The trusted distributor mentioned that he unofficially learned that Inmotion was looking for a new mainboards supplier last spring. Reasons unknown.

Both supply chain quality issues and unsuitable MOSFET selection can be compounding problems.

Let's see if we can find what the V12 HT "More durable MOS" are.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

But I have a habit of trusting working professionals in any decision making or especially assessing the validity of any circuit design on any product. I have repaired guitar amps and other musical gear as a side job for over a decade. Yet I will never even give an assumption of being able to assess whether a mosfet choice in an EUC or even in a guitar amp is the right one or not. I don’t quite see how you can.

Sorry, @mrelwood, would you say the same thing about the several Boeing 737 that crashed and killed hundreds of people until now? Were the working Boeing professionals, who had many years of experience, unquestionable ? 

And if all reduces to blind trust in “professionals” than the issue that plaques the V12 reduces to two possibilities:

- 1) The Infineon “professionals” made faulty mosfets and sold them to clients

- 2) The InMotion “professionals” designed faulty boards and sold them in V12s

In both cases “ professionals” were to blame, that is why this blind trust in “professionals” makes no sense to me.

Second point I want to make, is that most of us have usually good trust in engineers. It is the “bead counters” decisions we fear, and these ones lead to disastrous outcomes.

Third, we did not come with this idea of underrated mosfets from thin air. Though I’m not an electrical engineer, on specialty forums and sites, it is repeated over and over again that when choosing a mosfet for a motor you have to have the Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage -Vds higher then the maximum working Voltage available. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

It seems the TO220 FET simply should not be used for such pulses (30A max), whereas the TO247 has plenty of headroom here (600A max).

Edit: got it.

100V drain source voltage, 40 micro seconds ends up here. However isn't it for continuous operation instead of pulse?

Edited by supercurio
Understood by taking a better look at your annotated graph thanks!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Its not just the electronics... my third V10F arrived with sagging pedals, straight from the factory, apparently never ridden. Left pedal was exactly horizontal, right pedal sagged downwards ever so slightly. It was barely noticeable, but holy crap how unpleasant it was to ride. I was able to more or less fix it with shims, but they have to be rechecked and adjusted every couple 100kms because those damn shims just wont stay put. My new V11 made me remember how great it is to have pedals that are angled correctly and that dont need any maintenance, LOL

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Paul g said:

They even blame Infineon for faulty or unreliable products. That is even more ridiculous that said handling.

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

Nothing wrong with Infinion FET's (assuming genuine and used within their specs). They are reputable, reliable and I have used 1000's of them with repeatable results.

this is what I didn't like too, blaming Infineon is funny. I do not understand how they are supposed to check the fets they are going to send to the resellers. My bet is that they had a feeling they were using clones. 

5 hours ago, supercurio said:

isn't it for continuous operation instead of pulse?

Ah. Talking about stall (zero wheelspeed), the motor will hold a relatively continuous current, but the controller achieves it by pulsing on and off the battery using the FET array. FETs turn on and increase the current through the inductive load of the motor, and then turn off and allow the current to recirculate naturally for a moment (through body diodes or other FETs), then on again, then off again, with the on/off time ratio (aka "duty cycle %") determining the level of current that is achieved.

We cannot go to 100% "continuous" duty with the motor stalled- the coil resistance is about 0.1 Ohm and so 100V would produce 1000A. Everything would melt :)

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Trying to find a TO247 mosfet locally with comparable specs to the HY5012 turned out very difficult

Luckily new parts keep being designed... this one looks excellent to me, should have lower dissipation than HY5012 and 150V tolerant.

44 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

the continuous current rating was hard to match

Ah, but that's what I'm getting at: in an EUC, we never have current above about 100A per FET, and the most important behaviors are pulsed. So the dreamy >300A specsheet numbers aren't necessary.

p.s. HY5012 is package limited to 90A continuous... sneaky authors hid it on page 4, hoping you'd stop reading at page 1 :D

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:18 AM, mrelwood said:

First, nobody can disagree that the situation is really bad, and would harm Inmotion’s reputation no matter what the reason for the failures were, and no matter how they would handle the situation. Thus it’s no surprise that it will create emotions, in some people more than in others. And I feel terribly bad for every single one who have hurt themselves because of this, and even for those who are forced to refrain from riding because of this.

But I have a habit of trusting working professionals in any decision making or especially assessing the validity of any circuit design on any product. I have repaired guitar amps and other musical gear as a side job for over a decade. Yet I will never even give an assumption of being able to assess whether a mosfet choice in an EUC or even in a guitar amp is the right one or not. I don’t quite see how you can.

You being so sure about a large safety oriented EUC/PLEV manufacturer making a mistake so obvious that random end users and discussion forum members are able to reliably point it out doesn’t sit right with me. We’re talking about a manufacturer who has designed and sold possibly over 100000 vehicles with the same basic motor controller principle. That’s a hundred times more than I have posted on this forum. If only they had asked the right forum member to do the final check on the circuits, right?

That’s a bit thick isn’t it? You don’t have any of the countless crucial pieces of information required to know anything about the manufacturer’s perspective. “Some” reading between the lines is clearly an understatement.

I know you’re much smarter than this so it’s probably a language barrier. Basic lesson in logic: Me being taller than my brother doesn’t mean or imply in any way that my brother weren’t very tall as well. Being durable or not is not a black and white distinction. Some things can always be more durable than others, and the secondmost durable thing is usually still pretty darn durable.

That is indeed quite fitting…

I have noticed that you have been one of the most vocal participant in the recent V12 discussions. It’s clear that you take the issue strongly. What can happen though is that seeing the forest from the trees becomes increasingly more difficult as you keep strengthening your beliefs. That still doesn’t make it a fact though.

If I’d ask you how you know that, you would probably point me to evidence of wheels that have failed. But if I’d ask the same from an electronics engineer specializing in BLDC motor controllers, he’d be able to explain in detail how the system works and why exactly the design is faulty, included with calculations. Do you understand the difference?

Could you be right in that the company we have learned to trust the most all of a sudden no longer understands the meaning of “voltage”, decide to create a product designed to fail, and they just pull out testing instructions from their hats, hoping that the western fools would yet again be fooled? I guess you could. But it all just sounds so extremely improbable. I’d rather ask someone who knows about the matter. And I don’t mean someone who has read about the cutouts. I mean someone who actually knows the circuit diagram, inside company policies, Inmotion engineer hiring requirements, and so on.

Great rebutle here from mrelwood. I think the original poster is making a lot of assumptions to be passed off as analysis of fact, and leaning heavily on malevolence.  We are once again in ANOTHER Inmotion blunder. But I do not believe it’s due to bad engineering by some team lacking intelligence. Nor is it a conniving marketing team to cover it up.  (That is what this post is getting at.) Guys this isn’t some western pharma company lol. These companies still see themselves are glorified factories. 

• Like 2

In order to keep the discussion relevant to the topic, I’ll skip most of @Paul g’s reply.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, Paul g said:

Also the same would be advisable to all family members of Boeing crashes. Why be angry and agitated, when you should trust more the Boeing company, which is a renowned and trusted company, with so many years of experience, and so many undeniably successful and safe products throughout the years.

So, under how many aspects or topics has Boeing lied or been deceitful? And in how many aspects they have told the truth? The ratio is what I’m after. Then the same ratio from the average discussion forum whistle blowers.

Nothing anyone can ever say will help in any meaningful amount with the sorrow that an event such as the Boeing one lays on countless people’s lives. And there’s of course no question that if it had been created intentionally, the people who have decided to do so or have let it slide, should be charged with manslaughter or similar. 

But even when Boeing does something like that, does that automatically make everything they have ever said a lie? Of course not. Does it make all manufacturers evil and deceitful? Of course not. Does it mean that 911 was an inside job? Of course not. And finally circling back to the topic, does it make manufacturers less trustworthy than angry discussion forum members? Of course not.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, Paul g said:

To be noted here, it is only the pressure put on governments by protests of “angry”, “furious” and “ agitated” surviving family members of those deceased in Boeing case given as example that led to the investigations

And investigating is exactly what should be done and is being done with the V12 as well. But it has nothing to do with blaming Inmotion being a deceitful liar who tossed out a decade of hard earned trust and reputation simply to make a quick buck.

If you believe that governments should investigate the matter, don’t rant it out at a web forum. Be active and reach out to politicians with your suspicion. They’re not reading the forum for clues on what they should investigate.

If you want the manufacturer to do something, spend a minute to think what kind of an approach would make them do what you want. You really think that blaming them for being deceitful and only being after an easy short term sale will even make them read your message all the way through the first time?

If you want the distributors to do something about it, reach out to them. And again, think what kind of a message would make you want to do something about it.

But if you don’t want to be taken seriously, don’t want anything to actually happen, and just want to rant it out a bit, go to Reddit or any other discussion forum, and make a post with accusations and present your theories as if they were well known truths. It will serve your intent perfectly.

I’m pretty sure that even the immense amount of “911 was an inside job” posts, tweets, videos and talk shows made any government or other official party do diddly squat to lift a finger towards opening up an actual investigation. Because it’s the wrong approach.

(I’ve learned that amongst Americans, disclaimers are often required: All of the above were examples to make a point, and none of it was directed towards any single forum member. For example @supercurio is actually doing mostly great job in educating himself and others about the matter, is being proactive, and despite a few misses seems being after the facts instead of slander.)

• Like 3

We know today that the stress tests are not sufficient to identify wheels which will later fail during real-world use.

So far I gathered hints indicating that replacement boards:

• Will have a number of differences
  • Should have more durable MOS
  • Is likely the V12 HT board

My guess is that future V12 batches will also be equipped with the V12 HT board - as predicted in the original post.

No official quote or statement, please consider this as rumor for now.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, supercurio said:

We know today that the stress tests are not sufficient to identify wheels which will later fail during real-world use.

So far I gathered hints indicating that replacement boards:

• Will have a number of differences
  • Should have more durable MOS
  • Is likely the V12 HT board

My guess is that future V12 batches will also be equipped with the V12 HT board - as predicted in the original post.

No official quote or statement, please consider this as rumor for now.

Yeah I would love to have the standard v12 not the ht. But with the ht board    it would be nice if inmotion would identify what fets they are running for the new ht so some of us can order a dozen fets and install them ourselves to act as testers and hopefully have a safe first and 2nd gen wheel.   

12 minutes ago, Bikemike2777 said:

Yeah I would love to have the standard v12 not the ht. But with the ht board    it would be nice if inmotion would identify what fets they are running for the new ht so some of us can order a dozen fets and install them ourselves to act as testers and hopefully have a safe first and 2nd gen wheel.   

It would be interesting out of curiosity, no doubt.

However it appears that the HT board would have more differences than the fets only (TBD)
The firmware would likely require a different tuning as well to take into account these components in the tuning of the motor controller.

Still worth investigating, how much are you willing to crash and get hurt as a tester tho!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, supercurio said:

It would be interesting out of curiosity, no doubt.

However it appears that the HT board would have more differences than the fets only (TBD)
The firmware would likely require a different tuning as well to take into account these components in the tuning of the motor controller.

Still worth investigating, how much are you willing to crash and get hurt as a tester tho!

There is other options for testing. Climbing harness attached to rafters of a garage and a gutted out treadmill. Maybe some shock absorbing lanyards to the wheel too   ain't no speed limit on a treadmill if there is no motor hooked up lol if the body and wheel are stationary that should have better end results if the failure occurred.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bikemike2777 said:

There is other options for testing. Climbing harness attached to rafters of a garage and a gutted out treadmill. Maybe some shock absorbing lanyards to the wheel too   ain't no speed limit on a treadmill if there is no motor hooked up lol if the body and wheel are stationary that should have better end results if the failure occurred.

Beefy treadmill which can take 70 km/h or handle 10kW peak 😋 - actually providing some resistance, or you're thinking by using gravity maybe.

Cool project nonetheless. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Even the much maligned S18 actually uses 12 TO-247 MOSFETS

The S20 seems to be using the same.

KGqoGTH.png

https://www.kingsongs20.com/spec

• Like 2