A lot of us, including the manufacturers will be the downfall of EUC market.

LoveAll

Of all the roughly 50 riders I’ve ridden with in group rides through the years, I know only 3 that regularly exceed 35mph.

Interestingly, each of them have moved in from Russia… :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

I don't have the numbers in front of me this instant, but I've seen pretty definitive figures that list for example at what speed ranges falling off a micro-vehicle switches between "minor injury", "major/potentially life-altering injury", "guaranteed life-altering/perhaps life-threatening", etc.. and falling off any such device at 50+ mph definitely crossed into "life-altering injury or worse" territory (in fact I think that threshold was a good bit lower than that even, but I just don't remember the exact figures/have time to look it up right now).

Would you happen to have the link? I'm not challenging you, I'd just like to see for myself. I believe you. Another interesting thing is that a pedestrian has an 80% chance of death when hit by a car at 40mph. This would likely also be the case when slamming into a car or other large object with an EUC at 40mph (you are basically a pedestrian, plus a helmet). The odds of actually riding into a car or wall at full speed seem unlikely, however.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Yup... so enjoy it while there's still time.:thumbup:

When less is more - summed it up beautifully and literally my philosophy. 

It was the same with off road trikes in NZ.  I had a heck of a lot of fun on those.  They were unstable (comparatively to their 2 and 4 wheel cousins), too fast and as dangerous as hell.  People died on them.  And they eventually got banned in NZ.  But I wasn't worrying about that while tearing up the sand dunes on our west coast beaches or ripping through forest trails.  If EUC's become unavailable for whatever reason I'll find some other way to get my thrills (might be an extreme mobility buggy by then).  Until then 'don't worry, be happy'.

• Like 2

I don't think the EUC tour data proves a lot.  My average speed on tours is usually pretty slow but when the conditions are right I like to ride as fast as it can physically go and I accept the associated risks.  And I fully intend on getting a faster bigger wheel for both more range and higher top speed.  For me the 'right' conditions include consideration for not endangering other peoples lives and property.  I doubt I'd use it for much else than getting to the train station if it was limited to 15mph.  

This means I'm probably paying double the price for a wheel for that 5% of the time that I actually use it at capacity.  And it's worth every hard earned cent :-)

• Like 2

I dont doubt the EUC World data. I do a lot of longer tours and I travel at 21-22km/h at least 99% of the time. That is the exact speed at which the wind doesnt make my eyes water behind my glasses and the noise of the air rushing past my ears isnt obnoxious yet. Thats only if you only wear bicycle helmets though, as I pretty much have to do as EUCs are illegal in my country and I dont want to draw unwanted attention to myself.

It is very  different if you are wearing a full face helmet. I experimented with wearing my motorcycle helmet when riding in the cold last winter and I immediately noticed I tended to ride much faster.

Average speeds of 10mph? Wow, is everyone riding an mten or simply running around with a wheel in their hand for an hour? :cry2:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Average speeds of 10mph? Wow, is everyone riding an mten or simply running around with a wheel in their hand for an hour? :cry2:

You also have to consider terrain. Not everyone rides on roads. My average speeds are much slower because i ride rocky tracks and technical forest routes. But on the tarmac I think we can both agree SPEEEDDD

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Menace said:

Would you happen to have the link? I'm not challenging you, I'd just like to see for myself. I believe you. Another interesting thing is that a pedestrian has an 80% chance of death when hit by a car at 40mph. This would likely also be the case when slamming into a car or other large object with an EUC at 40mph (you are basically a pedestrian, plus a helmet). The odds of actually riding into a car or wall at full speed seem unlikely, however.

It's driving me nuts that I can't find this now. I follow a *lot* of micro-mobility stuff though, so I'm not even sure which sub-community I saw it in (bicycles vs eskate vs mopeds/vespas, etc). Although even in its absence the automobile stats are still somewhere rough to start--which pretty clearly show ramp-up in danger somewhere around 30/35 mph/definitely by 40 mph and beyond.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This actually has me wondering about average speeds. 

10mph AVERAGE, when there is no traffic, may be about as fast as a car can travel on surface streets in Chicago il. 

I'm looking up all the places that are 5 miles from my house, and they're all a 20-30 minute car ride when I'm driving outside of rush hour. That puts me right at about 10mph. Of course, there are spates of 30mph on long stretches of road, and 0mph while I'm at a light. 

I Googled and didn't find any clear info about what average car speeds are within a city.

Edited by Richardo
clarity
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 7:38 PM, Surfling said:

.......No offense, bruddah but what did you eat or smoke beforehand?

Asking for a friend..... seriously.

This comment doesn’t add anything constructive and questions the sobriety of the person. Why make it?

as for the original post. The euc will be here to stay its my view its the best small pev ever made. As battery technology advances I can even imagine what we will be riding in 5 years. 

• Like 2

Average speed is not a good representative for how fast people ride, I'm sure my average is very low because I often ride while talking to people in group rides, going errands, playing around with low speed maneuvers, off-road and what not but I also very often exceed 50-60kmh but you wont see that in an average speed statistic, actually if I look at my 10 most recent tours a majority of them has 60kmh+ max speed but usually sub-30 average.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:32 AM, mrelwood said:

Of all the roughly 50 riders I’ve ridden with in group rides through the years, I know only 3 that regularly exceed 35mph.

Interestingly, each of them have moved in from Russia… :lol:

It's pretty common for Stockholm riders with capable wheels to go faster than that.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 2

Unless I’m mistaken, the EUCW database also has the max speeds recorded, and that the average maximum speeds and other max speed data was also revealed at some point. I seem to recall being surprised about them as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Resko727 said:

This comment doesn’t add anything constructive and questions the sobriety of the person. Why make it?

.....and you think the OP added anything constructive w/ this topic? 

Read the the follow up posts and see the discussion flow.

It's a public forum, fella. Welcome to the interwebs!

It is funny how 15 minutes at 4-6 mph wending your way through pedestrians doesn't seem like such a long time, but 15 minutes at 23 mph is a long 'speed' run. I sure 'seem' like I go fast (especially off road), but my average speed says otherwise.

Edited by Tawpie

The problem is, to provide that speed, the manufacturers produce costly machines that provide way more performance than 99% of us want. Then we all complain of machines costing over $2K. My own Nik+ goes way faster than I'll ever need with a range that's way more than I'll ever need. It's a shame manufacturers can't put some effort into trying to and make these devices road legal then I could at least use my wheel without fear of being fined. As it stands, here in the UK, I'm unlikely to buy another wheel until the legal situation changes. Selling 40+mph machines to kids without driving license is just digging a grave for the whole industry.    

Edited by mike_bike_kite
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Selling 40+mph machines to kids without driving license is just digging a grave for the whole industry.

Yeah, that's a problem I haven't actually heard of happening though. Most kids who would be able to afford one and would actually take it up to 40 mph can have drivers licences anyways (at least here in the US). You can get a learner permit at 15 and a license at 16. I have taken the drivers ed classes and have had my permit for 2 years. The only thing missing for me is being comfortable operating the car, which has no parallels to the euc anyways.

• Like 1