A lot of us, including the manufacturers will be the downfall of EUC market.

LoveAll

8 hours ago, LoveAll said:

Smoke the truth I guess

We'll take "guess" with a grain of salt. Truth hurts, I once hear..

All kidding aside, C'est la vie - technology gets better, Health and environmental issues gets worse.

Start smoking "happy" and enjoy the ride while you can........YOLO

• LoveAll changed the title to A lot of us, including the manufacturers will be the downfall of EUC market.

Not exactly on topic, but the Onewheel seems to be going strong in the usa, and as far as I know USA is the only place onewheel was ever really popular. 

I think the recent lawsuits against onewheel are going to determine the future of both onewheel and EUCs in the usa, as that precedent will certainly set the tone for the future.

WrongWay’s recent video about european EUC legality really set me to thinking about this topic. I know EUCs are more popular in europe than the USA, but how the hell did such specific legislation get passed so soon?  Is there already some regressive crap working its way through my state legislature and im just not aware?

makes me want to see it i could get the active transport alliance interested in EUCs to start getting some advocacy started before there is negative pressure against them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richardo said:

I think the recent lawsuits against onewheel are going to determine the future of both onewheel and EUCs in the usa, as that precedent will certainly set the tone for the future.

I don't think that EUC's are part of this lawsuit. The only reason OW is being sued is because they are an American company. EUC's are more black market.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I don't think that EUC's are part of this lawsuit. The only reason OW is being sued is because they are an American company. EUC's are more black market.

If bought from aliexpress/chinese shops - the customer is the importer himself and so his personal responsabilty.

Don't know how this works out in details if shipped from local warehouses? Maybe law suits could be filed against the "warehouses"?

If bought from a local reseller/online shop within the same "legal market" this reseller is the importer and distributor - fully legally responsible.

Maybe the market is too small by now for lawyers to see enough money to grab from euc dealers compared to a manufacturer...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LoveAll said:

Truth be told, 99.999999999999% of us  will never travel higher than 40 MPH and probably will never go on one charge 70 miles

IDK about that. When I first got into EUCs I thought I would never want more than 18mph and here I am doing over 40 on every ride. The only thing keeping me from going 70 miles is the range of my RS. I think that a lot of people go faster than you think. I agree with @RockyTop. I would guess that more like 15-20% go 40+. Maybe fewer go 70 miles, but I think that's still like 10%. My guess would be that most people who own a wheel that is capable of 40mph+ and 70 miles use those capabilities at least occasionally.

I think people forget how short these things have been around and how much progress we've already made. I haven't been here since the start, but if you compare models from 5-6 years ago to this years newest releases(s20 for instance), there is a heck of a difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Seba used his EUC World app to report on what speed and distance most people did. I don't recall the exact numbers but I think the average speed for EUC riders was around 15mph, with barely any riders going faster than 25mph. That was over a year ago so perhaps wheels are faster now but I still think it's a tiny minority that consistently ride over 30mph - I guess you have to be rich enough to afford a wheel capable of those speeds but young enough to ignore the consequences of accidents at those speeds.

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

I'm afraid your 'hunch' flat-out contradicts the available data. The author of EUC World, the biggest third-party EUC ride-tracking app, has revealed rider speed statistics:

And that's just the users of EUC World, which would be heavily skewed *toward* enthusiast riders (not including all the casuals who only use the stock app or no app at all, and who would just bring all those numbers down even further). There's really little room for debate when we have such a massive data set. On one hand you have the skewed anecdotes of enthusiasts in their bubble ("well people on the niche enthusiast forums and my few buddies in our local riding group..."); on the other hand is actual data from over 55,000(!) EUC trips from the biggest enthusiast-centric third-party ride-tracking app.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of EUC usage is similar to a bicycle and limited to the environments where those speeds make sense (residential neighborhoods, bike paths, urban centers with lower speeds in between frequent intersections, etc). The 30+ mph street EUC riders are basically the EUC community's equivalent of spandex-clad sports bicyclists--a miniscule high-performance niche subgroup who bear little resemblance to the majority of riders. And then there's a group of enthusiasts somewhere in between those two extremes, which is likely the majority constituency of a forum such as this (a step above casual riders but still likely topping out somewhere in the upper 20s/low 30s, but also favoring longer ranges, etc).

Edit: it appears @mike_bike_kite beat me to this point but because I was too busy digging out the actual data to reference. We'll call it a draw. ;-p

I'm not sure about that. Sure, you have the numbers, but they are definitely not accurate of all riders. Like you said, I think that the EUC world statistics are skewed towards a certain type of rider. Not just enthusiast, but a certain type of enthusiast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these statistics are for tours. I use euc world but never record tours. This skews the data in favor of the type that likes to record tours, which also seem to be the older and slower riders. The data doesn't represent those who simply grab their wheel and go ride without bothering with recording a tour, who would seem to be the younger faster riding generation. 

Another way of seeing this is that if you based your evaluation of an entire populations fitness on statistics from one health app, your data would not accurately represent that population. This is the equivalent.

My perception is likely a bit skewed by the many videos you see of EUCs on the internet, but so is yours.

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

for all tours recorded, a typical maximum speed is 32 km/h (32.8 km/h median, 31.8 km/h average)

Heres some math: (28kmh*0.9)+(70kmh*0.1)/1 = about 32. So if 90% ride with a max of 28 and 10% ride with max of 70, the average would be 32. Obviously these are kind of arbitrary numbers, but it gives you some sense.

Edited by Menace
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, LoveAll said:

My main concern really is with those that don't seem to see what wrong with an EUC flying at 50 plus MPH. To me it seems like every single year a new euc is being release with more capability than the last. I must say once again, it's not  needed,(my personal opinion).  EUC seems to be getting heavier and heavier to accommodate for larger batteries, more speed, more range. I guess for some it's great but remember one of the primary reason we all love this form of transportation so much, it's because it's portable and easy to move around with.

Id like to hear what you think is wrong with riding at 50mph, I see that it is not appropriate in certain circumstances, but not in general. I respect your opinion, but it is needed for me. I wanna go fast. But does it mean that it is wrong for others to ride at 40mph+ because you don't see the need for you?

Edited by Menace
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The vacuum cleaner lady, a 50 year old grandma of two commonly bumps the "please decelerate" on her 18XL. ( set at 29mph) 

Sounds like a cool vacuum cleaner lady, also sounds like she needs a faster wheel.

• Like 2