Fire History

Asphalt

12 hours ago, Tawpie said:

And they held their ground with KS after the S20 fire—so I'm still waiting for my wheel. It'll come with more expensive batteries without added cost to me, but somebody paid for them...

molicel p42 is cheaper now that what LGm50T was a year ago, when you placed your order for s20 on kingstarter,

I bought the LG for 6.5 euros last year, the molicel is 5.75 euros today, 21700 cells have had a big price drop this past year, so don't look far, you paid for them  :D

Edited by enaon
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

ewheels' email states LG50LT. Which cell is in the packs causing the problem?

they state LG m50LT, but this battery was not out yet when the msp was made (lg M50T was). They want to say "LG bad" I think, so they do not give too much attention to details. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, enaon said:

they state LG m50LT, but this battery was not out yet when the msp was made (lg M50T was). They want to say "LG bad" I think, so they do not give too much attention to details. 

I have a 2-year-old Nikola+ with the LG M50T cells, so I'm pretty invested in the topic. From my research, I understand these LG batteries are great and beat some more expensive packs if you operate within their limits. The problem is that you can ride the Nik+ and similar wheels way past the battery's limits for extended periods, which increases the risk with every ride. Let's not forget jumping, riding the beeps, crashing, riding in the rain, bad charging practices etc. There are quite a few variables to consider.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Vulkov said:

There are quite a few variables to consider.

those are things a maker is considering when choosing suppliers, part of the specifications design process.

somehow the focus is shifted from the one who made the choice about battery cells on a wheel that can kill them, to the actual battery cells that should not be used in such a way in the first place. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, enaon said:

those are things a maker is considering when choosing suppliers, part of the specifications design process.

somehow the focus is shifted from the one who made the choice about battery cells on a wheel that can kill them, to the actual battery cells that should not be used in such a way in the first place. 

The fault is, without a doubt, with whoever decided to go with these cells and left the wheels almost unlimited. But we can't do much about it now, especially people that bought their wheels in the EU or from sellers other than ewheels that are currently offering free replacements. I don't care about anyone shifting the focus on anything.

What I meant with my comment is that everyone "stuck" with these wheels and batteries and aren't getting free replacements can at least try and ride nice and slow until they have the opportunity to replace the batteries or the entire wheel with a new one. They can also evaluate how they rode the wheel up until now and decide how to proceed to be safe. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Aren't other wheels using the LG 21700 cells too, like the V11 and S18? Are those going to spontaneously combust too?

You would think so, right? Looking at the 'stats' in this thread V11's have had a few fires but all in all seem as good/bad as any other wheel, S18's fires have mostly been after getting dunked. Hence my suspicion that BG allowing the rider to wring max performance from the wheel is related. KS and IM are considerably more conservative with what they'll allow, this should reduce over stress damage to the battery cells.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Hence my suspicion that BG allowing the rider to wring max performance from the wheel is related.

That actually makes their recommendation of replacing the battery every year make a lot more sense. It seems like they've intentionally sacrificed long term reliability and even survive-ability of their battery packs to the point of combustion in order to wring out this performance while choosing to under-spec their battery cells, and then made this recommendation as a band-aid. Or was this always the recommendation? I don't know. In any case, it's a pretty sad and inexcusable way to avoid the responsibility of a recall if what I'm saying holds water.

Speculating, but if they had used cells with lower internal resistance which can handle much higher discharge rates (5C and above peaks) like the Samsung 40Ts and Molicel P42As for their 4P battery packs from the get-go, then it's likely this thread would contain a lot less posts (among other more severe consequences for individuals).

The Samsung 50Es (3C peak) that replaced the original LGs M50T (2C) seem to be doing better for now, but will that trend reverse as the cells potentially prematurely age due to the performance demands of the Begode motor controller? I wonder.

Perhaps it would be better to replace these packs with the 40Ts or P42As regardless of how they are performing now. Or better yet, with the new Molicel P45B cells coming in September that improve upon the already impressive P42As. Something to think about anyway.

• Like 2

Like good'ol days:  Driving a VW Golf 2.0 GTI  A: Nice and easy, gentle ; Nul problemo.  B: 2The Max; Schredded gear, blown head gasket, melted clutch release bearings, leaking water pump... and what else could go wrong did...;) 

18 minutes ago, level9 said:

"Begode's response has been to recommend Customers dispose of their battery packs every year and purchase new ones."

That's insane. Utterly absurd. What the hell is wrong with this company!?

Discussed here:  https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/24297-gotway-safety-advisory-video-by-marty-backe/

TL;DR: it's just a silly cover-the-company's-ass deny-all-liability publication. Marty and the rest of us just laughed at it, and we all still ride Begod products today. 

On 7/31/2021 at 1:51 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

image.png.df02f7623bffc595b70305b4448f01e7.png

Full video with @Marty Backe's comments, the screenshot is from the video.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www-pozary-cz.translate.goog/clanek/264062-pri-pozaru-bytu-v-praze-9-byly-zachraneny-dve-osoby-pricinou-vzniku-byla-elektricka-jednokolka/?_x_tr_sl=cs&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=cs&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Bad night EUC charging fire in one Prague flat. Flat burned out. 2 adults survived probably also thanks to quick reaction of policeman randomly going around.
I hope they will be OK:(, I dont know them and Im also unable to verify the EUC details yet. (first reports incorrectly marked as a source of fire e-scooter)

update: based on information from fire brigade it was Inmotion V11 (ping @Asphalt)

Edited by Miko.cz
added type
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...