Fire History

Asphalt

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

An escooter.

just think about this: it's on the 20' floor , so that escooter has probably had a few "up and downs" in the elevator... nobody would ever carry it up the stairs (thinking about the chinese escooter elevator fire!)

On 11/7/2022 at 12:56 AM, Paul A said:

Transcript of English subtitles for above video.

Hello Unicycle fans!  We had a problem.  We had a fire.

Thank-you, I've added the Begode RS to the list.

• Upvote 1

Welp I think there's enough credibility now to add @Beenjammin's S18 battery fire in NYC to the list... 

There were lots of trouble signs before the fire, but no battery modifications or known immersion.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:19 PM, Beenjammin said:

I get home from an evening ride and park my s18 by the front door of my NYC apartment like I always do. It was not charging. About an hour after returning home I was in my bedroom when I heard a hissing noise, went into the kitchen and realized there was a fireball where my [S18] used to be.  I used a fire extinguisher on it and called 911. The fire department came and absolutely destroyed my apartment, and trashed my unicycle. It’s now in a barrel outside waiting to be picked up by hazmat. 

two different things:

1. When I bought the [S18], I knew it had some issues and over the following year I had several heated exchanges with the distributor [Freemotionshop] who sold me the unit, as I knew it wasn’t functioning correctly and seemed to be a defective unit. He did nothing except block my calls and ignore my messages.  Replaced the board myself with a part that I ordered which brings me to

2. The replacement boards I received were not of the best quality. <> the second unit they sent has been having issues for the last 3 days. I was about to write them tonight about how the control board would not allow the [S18] to turn off, however this happened instead. 

• Upvote 1

Differences between LG M50T and M50LT is the number of cycle they can get .... 500 for M50T vs 1000 for M50LT. Putting datasheet head to head shows better discharge current for M50LT ... even better than Samsung ones ... Does it means there are more reliable.. I don't really know !

Edited by Zrex90
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:45 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

Welp I think there's enough credibility now to add @Beenjammin's S18 battery fire in NYC to the list... 

There were lots of trouble signs before the fire, but no battery modifications or known immersion.

Sorry, I was away for a few days. 
Thanks to @RagingGrandpa and @Beenjammin for the info. The S18 was added to the list.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, novazeus said:

i had a fire july 11th this.

burned down my house.

i wasn't living in it, but i was storing my ninebot s2, ks18 and z10, side by side leaning up against a wall.

i don't think the eucs started the fire, none were charging, and the fire inspector said a rat ate a wire in the attic.

Ah ok, so EUC's were destroyed, but not directly implicated in this fire.
I think this one can stay off the history list. 

I don't see any S18 making the list from July or later, except for Beenjamin's, so I think the list looks correct currently.

(And I've split some other storage discussions into other Fire Safety topics, since this thread is only for incident reporting.)

16 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Ah ok, so EUC's were destroyed, but not directly implicated in this fire.
I think this one can stay off the history list. 

I don't see any S18 making the list from July or later, except for Beenjamin's, so I think the list looks correct currently.

(And I've split some other storage discussions into other Fire Safety topics, since this thread is only for incident reporting.)

Also Beenjammin's case was user error. At least it looks like that.

Edited by Funky

• 1 month later...

Magman.png

Yesterday was a very bad day for my Master V2.3.  I went for a short ride, ~8 miles, due to the cold temps. When I got home, I do as I normally do and connect up the charger and top off my batteries for the next ride.  I plugged in the charger, then turned it on.  Oh, the charger is the Alien Rides fast charger. Within a few seconds, massive amounts of smoke started pouring out of the top of the master.

I immediately pulled the power on the charger; the wheel was making a wining sound and when I stood it up, the motor felt partially engaged.  I quickly unscrewed the screws holding the top pad/seat on and then the screws holding the display cover.  Grabbed some plyers and pulled the battery plugs from the board.  Everything was charred black! I was like WFT happened.  I do not understand what could have occurred to cause such a reaction.  

I spent the next hour or so pulling the boards out of the wheel and cleaning them up.  Every single board was damaged to some degree.  The bottom board with all the MOSFETS had major damage with blown components, and melted traces.  I took some photos of the damage.  The display was even damaged as well as the cover. 

I sent Alien Rides and email with the photos, so hopefully we can get this repaired quickly.  They had just sent me the little circuit board to fix the display issue and I was just going to do one quick ride then replace it.  I did not get a change to even open the package the new board came in before dealing with this massive issue.

I feel fortunate this happened while I was there and not in another room of the house.  This could have easily resulted in a house fire. You can imaging my panic as smoke is dumping out of the wheel and I am in a mad race to get the batteries disconnected to save what I could of the wheel and my house. My hands were black from all the smoke from the wheel. The battery packs all measured right around 65.14V - 65.17V, so they were not even charged fully.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have happened. It was not a wet rainy day; I did no jumping or had any wrecks. The wheel behaved as it always did; nothing out of the ordinary.”

This one can be added to the list.

Edited by Paul g
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Paul g said:

Master V2.3. 
connect the charger
smoke started pouring out of the top
The bottom board with all the MOSFETS had major damage with blown components, and melted traces.

That's a board failure; not a battery fire. 

It should not be included in the list.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

That's a board failure; not a battery fire. 

It should not be included in the list.

If I understand correctly, if it had been a battery fire, then unplugging the charger would have slowed down but not stopped the thermal runaway, is that right?

• Like 1

The batteries were actually physically unplugged from the board, so we don't really know if the fuses or the board fully burning up would have stopped the batteries from going into thermal runaway had they been allowed to continue to dump current, but yes that was not a battery fire.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul A said:

If there had been no intervention, could it have progressed to the batteries catching alight?

I don't think we can definitively say it would have or not from these details, but I wouldn't rule it out unless there's some clear signs that battery fuses or other protections were tripped. 

• Thanks 1

Battery fuses were not blown.  There was no damage to the batteries themselves, just a little disfiguring of the connectors.

I would say, if this was allowed to just sit there and burn, the batteries would have more than likely eventually caught fire, but the fire was not due to a battery issue.