Fire History

Asphalt

Another fire. Unfortunately without photos, videos and details, just 1 message in the media.
Original text:

"Последний пожар произошел в 04:10, 22 января. Его причиной стало возгорание моноколеса в Первомайском районе по ул. Чорного, 25 под. 1. Повредилось имущество, закопчен балкон, в том числе остекление."

translation:

"The last fire occurred at 04:10, on January 22. It was caused by the ignition of a unicycle in Pervomaisky district at 25 Chorny Street, building 1. Property was damaged, the balcony was smoked, including glazing."
https://minsknews.by/za-proshlye-sutki-v-stolicze-zaregistrirovali-4-pozhara-pogib-1-chelovek/?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fdzen.ru%2Fnews%2Fsearch%3Ftext%3D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Rawnei said:

This story spread on Telegram, there were 3 wheels involved, V11, V13 and ShermanS that was somehow submerged in water, someone mentioned they got hit by a wave from the ocean, all of them got damaged, and the V11 started burning, so didn't happen on it's own.

Would you mind sharing the Telegram group link?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I've been trying to find the source (Facebook) but can't find it, not sure what group it was posted in (maybe someone else seen it?), here's a screengrab I found:

image.thumb.png.782477ba7ef06bc23c68c4b20b5b557c.png

Thanks for finding this information.

This scenario brings up interesting questions:

Should this event be added to the fire list with the caveat of preventable user-error?
Or is this so clearly a preventable incident that it shouldn't be included in the list?

On one hand, this could be used as a call to manufacturers to improve water resistance to reduce the chance of battery fires.
On the other hand, do we include fires that are caused by egregious misuse?

Either way, it's good to have the cause of fire included in this thread, in the event this photo is referenced in the future.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I've been trying to find the source (Facebook) but can't find it, not sure what group it was posted in (maybe someone else seen it?), here's a screengrab I found:

image.thumb.png.782477ba7ef06bc23c68c4b20b5b557c.png

a V11 prototype ???

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

Thanks for finding this information.

This scenario brings up interesting questions:

Should this event be added to the fire list with the caveat of preventable user-error?
Or is this so clearly a preventable incident that it shouldn't be included in the list?

On one hand, this could be used as a call to manufacturers to improve water resistance to reduce the chance of battery fires.
On the other hand, do we include fires that are caused by egregious misuse?

Either way, it's good to have the cause of fire included in this thread, in the event this photo is referenced in the future.

The one interesting takeaway from the screenshot is the "not properly sealed prototype" so it wouldn't be a good baseline for V11's, maybe a normal V11 then would have survived it but we don't know.

Personally I think any wheel submerged in water and then catching fire should be excluded as long as the manufacturer didn't market it to be able to do that.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Clearly user error. No electronics can withstand salt water immersion if not sealed and prepared for the purpose.

• Like 1

Wow, yeah buy a V11 from a sketchy place and not monitor it while charging for the first time, that's something. Probably sat in a warehouse for years or was damaged in some way. Still you would hope the BMS would protect it better, glad it wasn't much worse.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Aztek said:

This is getting really disconcerting.

Obviously I really feel for the guy, but isn't the RS, with certain battery configurations notorious for its fire problems, in a way that more modern wheels are not, to quite the same degree ? For example, with our machines specifically I don't think I have seen a single report of a Master just sitting there doing nothing and then catching fire, except that one time where the guy thought he got water in the charge ports in a previous ride... now I know it certainly doesn't preclude the possibility of a fire with ANY machine, but I think if you have nice, safe 50e's, have treated them properly, and looked after the machine, the risk of those going up is an order or 2 of magnitude less than if you have an RS with those dodgy cells sitting in your living room. Or is that flawed thinking ? I am just aware how easy it would be to be paranoid when this forum has become a hub for fire reports recently ! The incidence of these, as I understand it, is still very low per units in circulation.

9 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Joon Kim (EUC Bros) lost his home and business to his RS today..., I don't believe anyone was injured https://gofund.me/f9399366

https://www.facebook.com/slowblows/posts/pfbid02RLE6ch8J3C6Zh1BdGmFBB7nw3uwdipNV3AYNvTHDrWnqUe6sn4JbHB2EEo7hcx5zl
Mike Leahy
My friend Joon’s house was destroyed by a battery fire cause by an electric unicycle (v1 Rs) his dog training and boarding business was operated from his home and he can use our support to stay afloat while rebuilding. 
Joon is a big reason that I started riding electric unicycles. He pushed me to try new things and become a better rider. We made a bunch of cool riding videos together, which he filmed and edited. His reactions and commentary are really what made those videos so special. 

Another M50T RS to add to the list :( 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Thanks 1