Fire History

Asphalt

22 minutes ago, UncleY6ep said:

Russia. 10.10.2023. Gotway Tesla. Custom battery 1500Wh, 10k km. Sanyo 18650 GA. The fire occurred in the trunk of the car while charging from the inverter.

Source:

https://t.me/gotway_fanclub/74066/86216

IMO since it's custom built shouldn't be added to statistics.

• Upvote 2

How did they fit 120 NCR18650GA cells in a Tesla shell? Impressive. 

Those cells are truly great. Pity the installation wasn't done better.

When you squeeze in cells you sometimes push down hard on the outer shell for it to close. It's easy for a cell to become deformed, and then boom.

21 hours ago, Rawnei said:

IMO since it's custom built shouldn't be added to statistics.

It was added to the total count, but not the non-usage-related count.
Added with the caveat that it was a custom battery.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nhatxart said:

Hello. I am the guy who's Kingsong S18 went up in flames (rip). My question is what do I do with it now? How should I dispose of it?

Remove if not allowed please.

Maybe the motor or pedals can be saved.

Or do you mean legally? Was it imported?

8 hours ago, nhatxart said:

Hello. I am the guy who's Kingsong S18 went up in flames (rip). My question is what do I do with it now? How should I dispose of it?

Remove if not allowed please.

omg! thank goodness ur safe!

might be too soon, but if ur still interested in riding, i have a molicel version s18 i'd let go at an attractive price. it has about 331 miles of me going back and forth on my road. the only reason i should sell it, is because my other wheels go 43 to 56mph and the s18 only goes 31, so i'm afraid i might forget which wheel i'm on and overlean it.  i mention this because we're both in the tampa area. 

btw, i store mine outside in keter storage boxes. i had three catch fire but i think they weren't the cause.

12 minutes ago, novazeus said:

btw, i store mine outside in keter storage boxes. i had three catch fire but i think they weren't the cause.

I presume that was 3 at the same time rather than 3 separate fires ? If it was 3 separate fires I would be totally be blaming the keter boxes, and would be quite worried about condensation inside those things unless you have systems in place for keeping the temp / humidity more consistent.

Edited by Cerbera

32 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I presume that was 3 at the same time rather than 3 separate fires ? If it was 3 separate fires I would be totally be blaming the keter boxes, and would be quite worried about condensation inside those things unless you have systems in place for keeping the temp / humidity more consistent.

no, it was three old euc's stored in a old house that we think a rat ate a wire that started the blaze. 

but yeah, in florida, condensation is a huge problem for everything. humans that move down here from up north don't understand that u don't open ur windows down here, that's like hosing down the interior of ur home. 

i didn't last night, but on the future cold nights, i will garbage bag the wheels. i did that earlier in the year and that worked great, although a pita to cover them. the other concern/problem in florida, is bull ants. they love electricity. if ur ac goes out, probably bull ants in the contactors fried. so i had to spray and put out ant bait in and around the boxes. we'll all be gone, but the ants and termites will still be here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As I can see, there is 1 missing fire incident here. 
April 3, 2020, Russia. Gotway MsuperX 84V
Rider on MSX raised his hand to greet a man on an electric scooter. He also raised his hand, lost control and crashed into the MSX. After that the unicycle caught fire.
Source https://t.me/monokolesa/218599

photo_2020-04-04_08-04-30.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_19-30-03.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_19-33-45.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UncleY6ep said:

As I can see, there is 1 missing fire incident here. 
April 3, 2020, Russia. Gotway MsuperX 84V
Rider on MSX raised his hand to greet a man on an electric scooter. He also raised his hand, lost control and crashed into the MSX. After that the unicycle caught fire.
Source https://t.me/monokolesa/218599

photo_2020-04-04_08-04-30.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_19-30-03.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_19-33-45.jpg

Thank-you for this submission.
It has been added as a Usage-related fire.

https://www.facebook.com/675280547/videos/422504010188551/

News in Hong Kong today 🙄
A Master was casually burning on street without any sight of its owner, apparently he was riding and it got on fire and he just abandoned

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Is there any more information about the cause of this fire? 
I hesitate to add it to the list without context.

Sadly not that I know of, if the assailant fled the scene then details will probably be scarce.

7 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Sadly not that I know of, if the assailant fled the scene then details will probably be scarce.

I'm going to keep it off the list until some more information surfaces because it's possible that the Begode Master caught fire for reasons unrelated to manufacturing or usage.

Thank-you for posting it to this thread. This is potentially quite significant as it would be the first fire report on a modern Begode performance wheel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/4/214399/Electric-unicycle-abandoned-after-catching-fire-in-Tai-Po

Firefighters were called to the scene after an electric unicycle was abandoned after catching fire in Tai Po on Friday morning.

At 11.36 am, a young man was crossing Sui On Street on a unicycle when he fell while trying to get onto the sidewalk.

The electric unicycle suddenly caught fire and started smoking due to the friction, with the fire intensifying.

The young man ignored it and ultimately abandoned it, fleeing the scene.

Nearby witnesses saw the raging fire and called the police for help.

Firefighters were called and extinguished the fire. The electric vehicle was seen severely charred after the fire was put out.

Since the firefighters failed to find the owner, they placed the electric unicycle next to a trash can. A large string of burned batteries was also seen left next to it, with large scorch marks charred on the road.

The owner of a nearby restaurant who witnessed the incident at the time said that because of the fierce fire, diners sitting outside the store ran away.

However, he remained unmoved and joked that the burning unicycle looked as if a firework was being lit.

20240315161021214399contentPhoto1.jpg

Edited by Mango
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

At 11.36 am, a young man was crossing Sui On Street on a unicycle when he fell while trying to get onto the sidewalk.

The electric unicycle suddenly caught fire and started smoking due to the friction, with the fire intensifying.

I imagine he'd be going at relatively slow speeds when he fell while trying to get onto the sidewalk, as such it scares be a bit that a modern Gotway would burst into flames from such a low-speed impact.

Let's hope this won't be the first of many.

1 minute ago, xiiijojjo said:

I imagine he'd be going at relatively slow speeds when he fell while trying to get onto the sidewalk, as such it scares be a bit that a modern Gotway would burst into flames from such a low-speed impact.

could as well be the usual user error ignorance, water ingress, prior damage, charge fault... all that stuff that to many riders ignore

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

I wouldn't draw that conclusion, either something pierced the battery boxes (looks like he had the plastic variant) or the wheel had some issue already.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

In the table summarizing fires by brand, can we also make a table that summarizes fires by battery brand eg LG or Samsung etc.?

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Frolic0415 said:

LG M50LT batteries. 10km on odometer.  LG battery is really a fire hazard

10 hours ago, 360rumors said:

LG M50LT batteries. 10km on odometer.  LG battery is really a fire hazard

M50T batteries are, not M50LT, fires can start from a number of reasons.