Fire History

Asphalt

Are the forum mods perhaps able to send a message alert to all members.....similar to a prominent warning/acknowledgement?

There are only 85 followers shown on this thread.

Edited by Paul A

3 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Are the forum mods perhaps able to send a message alert to all members.....similar to a prominent warning/acknowledgement?

Some people will also simply ignore the danger..

12 minutes ago, Paul A said:

And i am one of them, with an RS 19  from Late 2021 :efef8189d7:

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

higher frequency of fires in those EUC's from ~2020 that use LG M50T cells in 4P or smaller configurations

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

perhaps able to send a message alert to all members?

I think it's "old news" at this point... no EUC's produced in the last ~1.5yr have used that poor-reputation cell. 
And I think "Gotway fires" was a topic with lots of community hype during late 2021. Plenty of info to be had in all social media. 

2 hours ago, Robse said:

(my) RS 19  from Late 2021

Just lift up one of your battery packs and inspect the label. It's likely Samsung, or the newer M50LT.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Obviously I really feel for the guy, but isn't the RS, with certain battery configurations notorious for its fire problems, in a way that more modern wheels are not, to quite the same degree ? For example, with our machines specifically I don't think I have seen a single report of a Master just sitting there doing nothing and then catching fire, except that one time where the guy thought he got water in the charge ports in a previous ride... now I know it certainly doesn't preclude the possibility of a fire with ANY machine, but I think if you have nice, safe 50e's, have treated them properly, and looked after the machine, the risk of those going up is an order or 2 of magnitude less than if you have an RS with those dodgy cells sitting in your living room. Or is that flawed thinking ? I am just aware how easy it would be to be paranoid when this forum has become a hub for fire reports recently ! The incidence of these, as I understand it, is still very low per units in circulation.

I totally get the negative outcomes of more attention to fires...BUT I would just say its def on us all to keep fire reports relevant, factual across all forms/platforms riders consume any content or information. information saves lives. the packs with latent fire risks would typically manifest over time, usually beyond begodes warranty. they would likely not show any signs of deterioration or pack failure until the problem is beyond address.

-

It would be advisable for anyone with an RS to first identify the cells used in their packs. This is a free & easy way an euc rider can help assess their risk without technical or engineering experience & without concerns of "not wanting to work on my wheel" d/t removal and installing of a shell panel only. its essentially pulling behind the curtain. this can be done with just removing the right outer shell (control board side outer shell to see the label on the battery - the label on the left side battery should be on the underside of the battery, and is why the right side is usually a good place to start).

RSs sold from RevRides 10/2021 onward should contain packs with either Samsung 50E/50G cells. RSs with 50E/50G cells from revrides have charging current limitations of ~3.1 - 3.3a per pack limiting fast charging to a maximum of ~6 - 6.5a. These packs are not known to be susceptible to the same relative or latent fire risk posed by the LG M50T based packs used in this wheel model. so, folks with older wheels like an RS, arent necessarily less safe than a current master.

as of 03/2023 all Master, T4, mTen4, EX30 from REV Rides contain (and have contained) 50E packs 

However, i have personally serviced RSs; riders have not purchased via REV Rides & seen some wheels with begode 100v 900wh packs with serial numbers confirming build dates as recent as 12/2021. I know you can still buy RSs EX.Ns, EXs on aliexpress almost exclusively with the linked LG M50T cells, and is where i see this being a problem not yet resolved in terms of product STILL available on the market, not product that only lives in the community. 

Edited by misterdalto
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, misterdalto said:

I know you can still buy RSs EX.Ns, EXs on aliexpress almost exclusively with the linked LG cells

product STILL available on the market

No... that's the updated cell model with a similar name: M50LT.
There have been no spontaneous fires reported with that cell yet. 

On 2/7/2023 at 9:59 PM, alcatraz said:

Can we assume that these last few V11s and S18s all had LG M50T cells?

I'm kind of in the market for an S18 because it's so lightweight. I'd love to get one cheap with dangerous cells, and then swap the cells out.

the S18 from first batch onward has been M50LT cells. the S18 then became available with molicel p42a. to my knowledge, those are the only cells used in the s18 historically. this is the same cell (M50LT) as they use in the s22 (except ewheels 40t). KS use try to use these in all packs that contain 21700 cells unless customer/wholesaler seeks specific alternate packs. just like they do their own control board design and manufacturing in house, they do the same with batteries now too.
recently it seems king song is considering discontinuation of the p42a supposedly d/t costs. 

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Is it likely that other Begode RS models will ignite, as they age?

no - see this response

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Robse said:

This is a repeat of the Feb 15, 2023 V11 fire, both posted by Carlos Morales on Facebook. The link to the first report is broken, so I've added the link to the most recent post about the same incident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

April 19, 2023

RS HS fire

https://t.me/mono_man/14334

Translation from Russian:

#Almaty #fire RS HS . 15,000 km. mileage. Was under repair, installed 6 new cells. Caught fire while charging native 3A. The place of ignition is a private house under a canopy. No one was hurt, except for the nearby T4, which was burned from the outside. The fire was quickly extinguished. Be careful. He escaped with a slight fright. If it caught fire at work, in a car or in a cafe, somewhere on a charge, it would be sadly strong. Be vigilant and careful!

• Like 1

V11   info from FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/6195327700565141/

"Friends v11 wasn’t balancing and throwing lots of errors. He was playing with charging issues all day and then last night… kaboom!he was lucky. He lives in an apartment complex and is now looking for a new home. Be careful with all wheels and manufacturers. Not one is ever perfect."

Charging problems?

Annotation 2023-05-21 143424.jpg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Robse said:

V11   info from FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/6195327700565141/

"Friends v11 wasn’t balancing and throwing lots of errors. He was playing with charging issues all day and then last night… kaboom!he was lucky. He lives in an apartment complex and is now looking for a new home. Be careful with all wheels and manufacturers. Not one is ever perfect."

Charging problems?

The Inmotion V11 does use the LG M50T cell.

• Like 2