My Ninebot S2

MG1 cells

2 hours ago, Markus752 said:

I saw one red and one green light
The wheel was working and I used it
Then I put it in charge
smelled burning
[moved it outdoors]

Glad you recognized the strange behavior and paid attention, good job!

• Upvote 3

On 5/26/2023 at 1:40 AM, 360rumors said:

Fire - the badly burned one seems to be an RS19. There also seems to be an 18XL in the background.  https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/kids-sent-home-after-electric-unicycle-fire-federal-way-elementary-school/LHIM3ZDZFZBCPLCFSFOGVTBLPU/?outputType=amp

Setting fire to an elementary school with kids in the building, yeah... not a good look for EUCs in the 253.

More specifically, not a good look for Begode for continuing to fail to recall their already-known and dangerously underspec'd wheels that sold with the LG M50T battery cells. I mean, I could be wrong speculating about the cause of the fire, but it seems a fair assumption given the content of this thread alone. You think more people working in the industry would be pissed and pressuring Begode to recall, even their competitors, especially if they care about protecting the continuation of future sales of these devices as many of these devices with the M50Ts are proving to be ticking time bombs as time goes by.

The lack of a legislative response to date is interesting in it's own right - just reinforces the notion that products designed and originating from China enjoy a kind of broad legal immunity protection blanket. Will it last? Hu knows.

Edited by Vanturion
careful what you wish for
  • Like 1

You know, I was thinking more on this afer typing up the above - the way our legal system is set up in the states, I wonder if one reason a company would not voluntarily perform a recall or even publicly acknowledge a problem is that it would be a legal admission of fault opening them up for damages (property or even loss of life) making it far easier to prosecute them into financial oblivion. If that is the case, it'd be impossible to "do the right thing" as doing that would a kind of self-initiated suicide. I don't know, food for thought I guess.

One thing I do know, is I'd be decomissioning and replacing my M50T packs ASAP if I owned a wheel with them. Definitely not worth the risk. In fact, I kind of question if I should be worried about my 50E cells as the packs age over time. All this makes me think it would've been smarter to go with a lower internal resistant cell like the 40T just for a little more piece of mind. Whenever I see the updates on this thread, it never fails to stoke the paranoia a little bit when storing my wheel indoors.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I would like to know why these wheels were at an elementary school to begin with.  

Assumed it was a staff member commuting, although it looked like the firemen were set up right inside one of the main entrances. Maybe the rider was able to drag/kick or push it that far before having to run away. All speculation though.

Looks like the wheel had mods for seated riding and healthy application of questionably protective baby foam so the rider could even be a forum member. Since public property damage is involved the details might not be forthcoming for legal reasons.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 1

This school fire is the type of event that will cause insurance companies to jack up rates for buildings that permit PEVs.

As a result we're going to see more buildings ban PEVs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Asphalt said:

This school fire is the type of event that will cause insurance companies to jack up rates for buildings that permit PEVs.

Uhuh and unfortunately they probably won’t make distinctions for battery safety. So even if we are riding an euc with a LiFePO4 and advanced BMS, it would probably still be included in any ban. 😢

• Upvote 1

Once again the only thing one can do is have a fire blanket nearby to cover lithium fire from spreading!!! Sprinkle water on to blanket to keep it cool.... BUY YOURSELF A FIRE BLANKET... I bought two 1 m x 1 m  fire blankets for $16.... 

Edited by MetricUSA

Begode could sell replacement 900Wh packs at cost and obviously using safe batteries. That way it would minimise litigation, it would allow owners of their products to protect themselves without costing them much. This would counter the negative publicity. I love my Nikola Plus but, the way things stand, I couldn't advise others to buy a Begode wheel.

• Like 1

One out of every 10 million lithium-ion batteries fails, a condition that almost always leads to a fire, Ms. Hutchison said. According to The New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/us/lithium-ion-ebike-battery-fires.html

If we follow precautions and proper ownership procedures I feel that the risk is quite low. Compared to, for example, electrical fires or gasoline fires, or fireplace fires. I have seen quite a few opinions here that seem like an over reaction.

22 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

One out of every 10 million lithium-ion batteries fails

We aren't talking about cell defects from the factory where this number comes in and is unavoidable, we're seeing much higher rates than this because of abuse of packs and potential negligence from manufacturers that is systemic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

One out of every 10 million lithium-ion batteries fails, a condition that almost always leads to a fire, Ms. Hutchison said. According to The New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/us/lithium-ion-ebike-battery-fires.html

If we follow precautions and proper ownership procedures I feel that the risk is quite low. Compared to, for example, electrical fires or gasoline fires, or fireplace fires. I have seen quite a few opinions here that seem like an over reaction.

How many if those 10 million batteries are the ones bought in mass for things like power tools etc.  As I understand it, the batteries that make it into EUCs are the seconds that did not make the cut for premium manufacturers that are meeting quality standards.  

Then, consider how many of those seconds are not well suited to the discharge and recharge demands of our EUCs.  Operating a lithium ion battery outside its design specs can reduce battery life and can cause permanent damage.  Add FW that doesn't limit discharge amperage at low SoC and you compound the problem.  

I agree with you, that lithium batteries themselves are not something to have an irrational fear of.  However, 900wh  LGM50T packs in certain generations of Begode wheels pose a much higher than 1 in 10million chance of fire.  If that subset were to be exained, I am quite certain that the numbers would be closer to 1:5000 or 1:10000.  I would love to see a thorough analysis published 

• Like 1

In a 6p configuration you have 144 cells, then the 1 for 10 Millions becomes 1 for 69 444. The more cells you have the more chance of having defect comes into the equation. If it was true why a begode RS in 4p configuration has much more defect than a 6p EXN. Then comes the way of how the cell is used in the respect of the datasheet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, an EX.N with M50T cells has fewer failures.

Any LiIon cell can catch fire like the M50T if you stress it enough.

Having 50E cells doesn't eliminate the risk. It reduces it, possibly by a smaller amount that people think. But it's enough to avoid catastrophic events.

The question remains. If a low current cell like M50T fails after an average of 2 years, the 50E (with slightly more current) could perhaps fail after 4-5 years. We really don't know for sure becwuse we haven't tested them for a long time yet. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2023 at 3:53 PM, Asphalt said:

Schools should get with the times and install assigned metal lockers for small PEVs or detachable e-bike batteries in designated ventilated rooms away from anything that can burn.  Spread the lockers out so if one battery goes up, it won't damage or set off neighboring PEVs/batteries.  Lockers won't stop smoke from escaping, and won't put out a fire, but it'll help contain the fire while also keeping expensive PEV / batteries secured against theft.  Otherwise, students / faculty are just gonna wheel their EUCs in, or throw their detachable batteries in their backpacks or lockers.

Students / faculty can pay to rent one for the year... helping to pay for the costs. What's a small steel cabinet cost?  $400 new?  Charge $50-$100 to lease one for the year.

Add some security cameras for good measure.

Edited by upL8N8
  • Upvote 3