My V11 Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

29 minutes ago, stephen said:

I just wondered if the hidden battery percentage shown up on euc world 

Can't you go do it all again:w00t2:😁 

Ps did you notice the voltage when it tilted back?

No, I wasn't monitoring voltages. Too many things to do and monitor :wacko:

Maybe next time I drain the batteries low I won't charge to and I'll experiment a little the next day. But to be honest, I'd rather be riding :)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Flying W said:

@Marty Backe do you think there is a chance we can get a toggle in the app to disable the go home function have it act like a normal wheel? 

Maybe it's just what I'm used too getting in the way but I'd rather the wheel just ride to empty like all the other ones.....with much slower tiltback, or better yet beeps as a warning before tiltback. 

The Go Home button is only available for use when the battery is very low. Otherwise you get an error message if you try and use it. There's certainly no way to disable the functionality.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Seba said:

In about three hours, I'm going to go on a long-distance Inmotion V11 test ride. I'm gonna spend the whole day and two more days on a 400 km route, of which today I'm going to ride 140 km. So you will be able to watch the progress of my test live, on the map of EUC World (for example from my signature image). I must admit that the V11's low battery behaviour worries me the most, but I will see how it really is today. Fortunately, I was able to add all the settings/options of V11 to EUC World app, including activation of "go home" mode. Earlier I updated the firmware to the latest version, and the wheel I'm going to use is the first production batch. So we'll see if there's anything to be afraid of and if I'll get my destination riding or if I have to push the wheel looking for a charging place...

Excellent news seba I'm sure you'll keep us well posted and I'll keep popping in on your route👍  you must of worked hard to get all the options enabled on euc world, ride safe and hope the V11 handles well for you 👍

Edited by stephen
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Seba said:

In about three hours, I'm going to go on a long-distance Inmotion V11 test ride. I'm gonna spend the whole day and two more days on a 400 km route, of which today I'm going to ride 140 km. So you will be able to watch the progress of my test live, on the map of EUC World (for example from my signature image). I must admit that the V11's low battery behaviour worries me the most, but I will see how it really is today. Fortunately, I was able to add all the settings/options of V11 to EUC World app, including activation of "go home" mode. Earlier I updated the firmware to the latest version, and the wheel I'm going to use is the first production batch. So we'll see if there's anything to be afraid of and if I'll get my destination riding or if I have to push the wheel looking for a charging place...

:w00t2:  Very cool that you added all the functionality. When do you sleep? :)

Please do let us know how your production wheel performs at <15%.  Be careful when you approach that level. Someone else I know with a production copy reported the same abrupt behavior.

And when you are forced to trolley it, is it in a tilt-back mode?

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

From what I understand batch 2 of V11 is modified. New type of bearings which means a slight delay in deliverance. Bloody annoying I want that wheel ASAP or PDQ. Source of info is Ian of speedy feet. Regarding range and "battery management" maybe thatll be updated too? In batch 2 that is ?

Edited by Finn Bjerke

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

And when you are forced to trolley it, is it in a tilt-back mode?

Marty, you should carry a battery pack that you could plug into the wheel to charge it a bit when your test ride runs out so you don’t have to walk back so far.  Would have to be able to change voltages to suit the wheel. Maybe the chargers that come with the wheels might be used with a DC battery pack of 120VDC. Switching power supplies might rectify the AC from the wall outlet to dc first in which case, this would work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

Marty, you should carry a battery pack that you could plug into the wheel to charge it a bit when your test ride runs out so you don’t have to walk back so far.  Would have to be able to change voltages to suit the wheel. Maybe the chargers that come with the wheels might be used with a DC battery pack of 120VDC. Switching power supplies might rectify the AC from the wall outlet to dc first in which case, this would work. 

Please don't discourage LA people from walking! They need to do more of it.

But for the rest of us, there are some quite small power banks with A/C outlets. The issue is whether they can supply sufficient current for charging. I think mine is limited to 100W output.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Please don't discourage LA people from walking! They need to do more of it.

But for the rest of us, there are some quite small power banks with A/C outlets. The issue is whether they can supply sufficient current for charging. I think mine is limited to 100W output.

Do they come with batteries? Are you talking about the small ones that plug into a 12VDC car cigarette lighter plug?

I figured that Marty has so many wheels that he must have a few battery packs sitting around.....

I wish wheel manufacturers would offer an external power connector to plug in another battery pack that you can carry to get you further for longer trips. The charging port wires are not very thick to carry much current to do this more than the charging rate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

Do they come with batteries? Are you talking about the small ones that plug into a 12VDC car cigarette lighter plug?

I figured that Marty has so many wheels that he must have a few battery packs sitting around.....

I wish wheel manufacturers would offer an external power connector to plug in another battery pack that you can carry to get you further for longer trips. The charging port wires are not very thick to carry much current to do this more than the charging rate.

I'm talking about the lithium battery powered USB and a/c products, like this one (random search find, no endorsement of this product intended): https://www.amazon.com/Omars-40200mAh-Portable-Universal-Compatible/dp/B07D9KZ4W3

5 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

I'm talking about the lithium battery powered USB and a/c products, like this one (random search find, no endorsement of this product intended): https://www.amazon.com/Omars-40200mAh-Portable-Universal-Compatible/dp/B07D9KZ4W3

I wasn't aware these were available. 90Watts might work depending on the power supply/charger of the wheel.

4 hours ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

I'd rather just call my wife or use Uber rather than deal with external battery packs.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Off-road Shock Damage Potential

In an upcoming video you will see how great the V11 is for trail riding. I can't speak to rocky single-track trails, but only with regards to the trails that I ride in Southern California. I love the experience and it really saved my knees from abuse that I normally experience.

However, the low hanging fruit, so to speak, of the V11 shocks is susceptible to damage from rock hits. I had pumped my tire to 30-psi and the shocks from 80 to 100 psi so that I'd have more clearance. But if you are riding where there are large rocks or other obstacles, I think it's guaranteed that the shocks will get direct hits.

The V11 shock assembly does seem very robust and I'm not convinced that permanent damage will occur (at least if you follow my recommendations in the following video). If Inmotion could make some small changes it would greatly assist in their robustness.

On a side note, I must say that I'm even less encouraged by Gotway's EX shock design. I don't think I would ever take it on the trails that I've taken the V11. Leave it for street riding or mellow off-road riding where there are zero obstructions in the path.

If you put a washer between the shock and the bottom piece that holds the shock in should lift the valve up to put a bike cap on it????

Maybe that nut could have an inside thread to hold the cap on instead of screwing it on the valve.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

However, the low hanging fruit, so to speak, of the V11 shocks is susceptible to damage from rock hits.

@Marty Backe This is the very reason I mentioned many weeks ago, here and on Facebook, that the GotWay EX suspension design is totally flawed!!!  If the Inmotion V11 shocks can suffer damage in the position they are situated far closer in towards the wheel (basically inline with the shell), what chance do the GotWay EX shocks, situated way, way out to the side stand of not getting destroyed/bent/jammed up at the very first impact????  Smacks of GotWay's usual lack of thinking things through, just to get a New and competitive wheel out as quickly as possible!

• Like 3

Yea the Gotway EX is doomed in this respect. Another thing that was obvious to everyone except the guys designing and building the wheel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like suspension wheels need to hang from the suspension so the pedals are the lowest part sticking out to the side of the motor, not sit on the suspension. Who could have seen that coming;)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
clarification
  • Like 3