The kneeguard thread

Thread introduction post.

Now I got inspired by the helmet thread, and as I am looking into getting some new knee guards, I were browsing for tips. But I didn't spot any (fast at leas). I know there are posts floating around but it might be good to have a collected thread.

So would be great to have a little structure. I suggest to post something like this.(see next post) easy to reply to or even better copy and paste into new post. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

Reply form

Brand: 

Model: 

Version/year of release: 

Picture links: 

Why you picked this: 

Pros: 

Cons: 

If you have had a fall did they save from damages: 

Edited by Unventor

Brand: Leatt

Model:  Dual Axis

Version/year of release:  2020

Picture links:  

knee-shin-guard-dual-axis-black-red-1.jp

Why you picked this:  Everyone recommended them when i was looking for some

Pros:  Great Fit, great straps, great protection. CE approved Knee EN1621-1

Cons:  Maybe a little too hot on warm days but safety first!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Antec said:

Brand: Leatt

Model:  Dual Axis

Version/year of release:  2020

Picture links:  

knee-shin-guard-dual-axis-black-red-1.jp

Why you picked this:  Everyone recommended them when i was looking for some

Pros:  Great Fit, great straps, great protection. CE approved Knee EN1621-1

Cons:  Maybe a little too hot on warm days but safety first!

Nice this is the kinda post I hoped we could get. I am thinking of hard outsell but something shorter. My kneegards are rather pathetic. I will post these later. The mc suit has lvl 2 D3O padding and are great. 

Point of order:  Would be helpful for the form to specify whether the guard is intended to be worn "against the skin", "over the blue jeans", or "I don't know, I don't wear clothes".

For example, I have "Demon Hyper X D3O Mountain Bike Knee Pads" which I must disrobe in order to put on.  I suspect they are very, very effective (and will stay on the knee) for a 10-20kmh landing, but on the other hand, it's getting harder and harder to find a phone booth.

Brand: Leatt

Model: Dual Axis

Version/year of release: 2019

Picture links: S3lozj8.jpg

Why you picked this: More protection for street commute in downtown Chicago, comfortable, fast on and off with the clips

Pros: The double hinges really helped to make a hard shell knee guard comfortable. The clips made this much easier to put on and off over something with velcro. Work well both in winter over pants and in summer with shorts where the knee guards are against skin.

Cons: Does get hot in the summer if I stop moving, but the vents in front work once you get moving.

If you have had a fall did they save from damages: I had multiple falls doing off road stuff, zero problem. I also took a direct hit on my left knee by a car front bumper where a driver turn right on red without looking while I have green on a pedestrian crossing. It probably saved me from broken bones, or at minimum scraped skin when sliding a couple feet on the ground. 

• Like 2

Brand: Icon

Model: Street Knee Guards

Picture links: 3y2f43K.jpg

Why you picked this: Lightweight, pack small, D3O, some clips

Pros: I bring this pair whenever I need to backpack the gears. They can be opened and laid completely flat, so they are really easy to pack small. The bottom two straps have clip connections so I only need to do one velcro on the top. Looks casual with shorts as top half is pretty much hidden.

Cons: The protection is probably good enough for the front of the knees with the D3O under 20mph, but they offer little impact protection for the side of the knees. The D3O pads end around 60 degrees (depend on your knee size) from the front even though the abrasion resistant fabric wraps around much more. Against skin it gets really hot as it forms well to the knee creating sort of a seal with no airflow even while moving. Over pants it's much better as some air can get under it.

• Like 1

Brand: Trippe 8

Model: Multi pack for skaters

Version/year of release: 

I have no clue. I bought as I started to ride back in 2018. 

Picture links: 

Kneeguard used when riding EUCKnee guards used when riding EUC

91CM2hIvxuL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Why you picked this: 

I got this as cheap (like 50€)  multi pack starter kit. (Wristguards + elbow guards + knee guards )

At the time I didn't understand safety better and didn't see the value to sped more money on it. 

Note: I got smarter soon.

After my first highspeed (top speed on V8 hard wobble due sideways slide) the elbow guard slides up the are due to same weakness I list below the knee guards.

Pros: 

+ Easy to put on even into trousers and no need to take of shoes. 

+ Light and relative compact.

+ Hard outer shell, can take asphalt rash and stilled be useful 

+ Cheap (like 60€ in a local shop where I could test size out)

Cons: 

- Elastic band are not tight enough so they can slide out if possition (helps to X mount these top to button and oppersite behind the knee, Still not strong enough)

- The plastic cup can take a hit but the foam behind it gives little to none cushion effect

Note: I would recommend to get something better, but this is maybe better than nothing. But do not ride with the confidence that it is a lifesaver. 

I have had a few incidents but the failure of my elbow guards that shave same design made me shift to mc suits with padding (D3O) build into it or using a POC DH jacket. 

p-20332-01.jpg?sw=900&sh=900&sm=fit

My first upgrade.  Using it with either t-shirt ontop in hot summer or MC jacket when temperatures allowed it.

This is my current lifestyle and fully geared up. And it is much cooler that the POC+mc jacket (that had no vents).

KS16x, Insta360one R twin. Capture from video klip.

Result of elbow guard sliding up the arm.

Resized_20180705_182723_8793.thumb.jpeg.b2780188927de28d61c838c9926d0e71.jpeg

I am still looking to get something better for me knees that is why I started this thread.

On 7/23/2020 at 7:01 PM, BruceCLin said:

Brand: Icon

Model: Street Knee Guards

Picture links: 3y2f43K.jpg

Why you picked this: Lightweight, pack small, D3O, some clips

Pros: I bring this pair whenever I need to backpack the gears. They can be opened and laid completely flat, so they are really easy to pack small. The bottom two straps have clip connections so I only need to do one velcro on the top. Looks casual with shorts as top half is pretty much hidden.

Cons: The protection is probably good enough for the front of the knees with the D3O under 20mph, but they offer little impact protection for the side of the knees. The D3O pads end around 60 degrees (depend on your knee size) from the front even though the abrasion resistant fabric wraps around much more. Against skin it gets really hot as it forms well to the knee creating sort of a seal with no airflow even while moving. Over pants it's much better as some air can get under it.

I just decided to buy these. If they don't feel as good as I expect then I can ship them back. But from what I see and read  they look to do the job from my speeds typical 30-35kmh.

Yep. I don’t wear pants ;), so they’re sorta like pant legs for me.

I just bought the Leatt C Frames and they arrive tomorrow. I like the fact the inner knee is bare, for a better feel of the EUC. Will let everyone know how they work after some riding. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got some knee/shin guards very similar to the Leatt Dual Axis ones. But when I press my wheel (V10) between the knees and slide back and forth a bit, they rotate to the outside so my knee cap gets pressed against the side of the guard (the two inner hinges) and not the centre. Do you have any idea what to do with that? Might it be that I need a smaller size (I can't tighten it any more)? I had it over trousers. When the weather is better, I might try it again with a bare skin, but it's still a big issue if I can't wear them in cold weather as I ride even in the winter.

Edit: I returned them and bought Leatt and in a smaller size. No more issues with the guard sliding sideways.

Edited by Zopper

just to chime in while ignoring the rules... :P

I have the Leatt dual axis and have come to really like them. I crashed on my fist day and scraped them up by didn't even notice that my knee had impacted the ground. If you put them on with the clips to the outside (like they are intended) the shin guard is to the outside of your leg a bit and doesn't come in contact with the wheel which is great. they stay in place and with the click-on straps I expect that as the weather cools I 'should' be able to strap them on over pants. I haven't tested this yet, but it's a big reason for why I spent the extra money and didn't get a 'slip on' pad.

re the forearm above... I wasn't wearing elbow guards on my first crash and took a bit of skin off my forearm. I'm now using Fox Racing Titan elbow guards, opted for the slightly smaller version but they have a more robust 'pro' version. They lock on really well although I haven't tested them yet in a crash. Since the fall on day one I haven't actually crashed since, but I have stepped off many times. I'm cruising around 30kph these days and I know the day will come, but I'm going to keep the speed throttled until next spring to maximize my chance to learn before going faster.

Edited by UniMe

• 4 weeks later...

I had a 65kph face plant and was wearing shorts and motor bike jacket with motor bike gloves, motor bike helmet and mountin/walking shoes. These knee gards on stopped any gravel rash. I only had a broken rib and my clavical bone behind where it should have been. But it waspressing into my windpipe and jugular vain. 1 week on im all good lol. I think these knee protection helped alot. But look around as i have seen them down to $113.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Acerbis-Gorilla-Knee-Guards/22114?gclid=CjwKCAjw19z6BRAYEiwAmo64LRK2rIFZ0Zz1TD-qfdWs0TLQmj7BuIREtgDbmXv2zW9NTmVr5tFNVxoCphQQAvD_BwE

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also using the Triple8.

Brand: Triple 8

Model: KP22

Version/year of release: I got mine a couple years ago

Picture links: 

https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Knee-Pads-Black-Medium/dp/B0000ASZ97/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=triple+8+knee+pads&qid=1601666008&sr=8-3

Why you picked this:  I had some cheap knee pads in which the rivets bit into both my knees when I fell, actually adding to the damage I received, tore holes in my knees. These were a moderate step up.

Pros: Fast and easy to put on. Wrap around above and below knees usually holds them in place. Padding does not feel cheap. Velcro straps fairly good.

Cons: After about 15 months, had one velcro come off. I had to sit and sew another one on. If you don't put velcro straps on securely, can come loose and fall out of place (avoid putting these on while seated or not pulling them tight). These are the minimum I would suggest wearing...nothing cheaper/thinner.

YES! I had 1 or 2 direct falls on these at slow speed, and they definitely absorbed the fall. I have stuck with them for a couple years...only now starting to look for another set.

Also, personally, I would not suggest their wrist guards if you are going over 20mph. They are good, but a bit lacking compared to other options.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:18 AM, Circuitmage said:

Brand: Triple 8

Model: KP22

I bought these & have them on my shelf, but just can't get them to fit properly. What I mean is that the circumference of the straps is perfect, but the plastic pads themselves are just the wrong shape for my knees. If you imagine a cross section through my knee, it's roughly a circle with a curved front. These pads seem to be made for someone with a wide flat front of knee in cross section, rather than a curved front of knee. It's a shame, because they feel well padded. I tried heating them to gently curve them, but despite getting the plastic too hot to hold, it still wouldn't budge. So, they're just sitting on the shelf. (The equivalent Triple 8 EP55 elbow pads are perfect though.)

08082001_1.JPG

Brand: SHIFT

Model: ENFORCER

Version/year of release:  ?

Picture links: https://fortnine.ca/en/shift-enforcer-knee-shin-guard

Why you picked this:  Cheap AF shin protection (upgraded from Tripple8 after a crash with big shin bruise)

Pros:  Cheap AF, one size fits all, put on and forget

Cons:  Cheap AF, one size fits all, put on and forget

Honestly, if you're not sure, theses are great basic knee protector, haven't crashed with them but when i try to replace them they don't move easily, i'm pretty sure they will save my knees if I fall.

Check the elbow as well; https://fortnine.ca/en/shift-enforcer-elbow-guard

Edited by Dubardo

Scott

Grenade evo Zip

Quality, comfort, d30, stays in place, fits under loose pants.  You cannot beat d30 and a comfy but snug fit is found. Cheap shit that moves around or is uncomfotable, is a waste of time and $$

Cons; not cheap  (also a pro as they arent CHEAP!)image.jpeg.235c960d3398bc40c97e8e216bc233b3.jpeg

On 9/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, Eka said:

I had a 65kph face plant and was wearing shorts and motor bike jacket with motor bike gloves, motor bike helmet and mountin/walking shoes. These knee gards on stopped any gravel rash. I only had a broken rib and my clavical bone behind where it should have been. But it waspressing into my windpipe and jugular vain. 1 week on im all good lol. I think these knee protection helped alot. But look around as i have seen them down to $113.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Acerbis-Gorilla-Knee-Guards/22114?gclid=CjwKCAjw19z6BRAYEiwAmo64LRK2rIFZ0Zz1TD-qfdWs0TLQmj7BuIREtgDbmXv2zW9NTmVr5tFNVxoCphQQAvD_BwE

... why i'll probably never have the speed limit set above 45kph on my wheel... good to hear you pulled through ok.

I like the look of these knee guards! It's important for me to be able to strap them on rather than needing to pull them up over my foot. How do you find the velco on these, easy enough to perhaps strap over a pair of pants???

I have the Triple 8's and the Leatt Dual-Axis which have both been pictured above.

I find the Leatt's really uncomfortable - part of the problem is they only come in two sizes: the S/M size is too small for me, and L/XL is too large (I tried both before I chose S/M, now I regret the choice and it's too late). Also, even if they are super tight they often slide downwards a bit on my leg as I am riding, I am always pulling them back up or adjusting them, it's frustrating.  

I tend to reach for the simpler Triple 8's most of the time.

10 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I have the Triple 8's and the Leatt Dual-Axis which have both been pictured above.

I find the Leatt's really uncomfortable - part of the problem is they only come in two sizes: the S/M size is too small for me, and L/XL is too large (I tried both before I chose S/M, now I regret the choice and it's too late). Also, even if they are super tight they often slide downwards a bit on my leg as I am riding, I am always pulling them back up or adjusting them, it's frustrating.  

I tend to reach for the simpler Triple 8's most of the time.

Thanks for that report. I really, really want to like the Leatts, they offer exactly the protection I am after but any slippages would drive me totally nuts and I have heard a few people say the same as you. I use some NukeProof slip-ons at the moment worn next to the skin - they never move and are as comfy as hell but I do worry about not having some hard shell protection. The next best thing I have found is the Fox Launch Pro (version with hard shell cap) which are again meant to be used next to skin but if I am honest I do prefer the additional protection of the Leatts. I guess the problem is that Leatts have been designed to be worn whilst seated, and theres no getting away from that :(

On 10/4/2020 at 3:56 AM, bcarp said:

I bought these & have them on my shelf, but just can't get them to fit properly. What I mean is that the circumference of the straps is perfect, but the plastic pads themselves are just the wrong shape for my knees. If you imagine a cross section through my knee, it's roughly a circle with a curved front. These pads seem to be made for someone with a wide flat front of knee in cross section, rather than a curved front of knee. It's a shame, because they feel well padded. I tried heating them to gently curve them, but despite getting the plastic too hot to hold, it still wouldn't budge. So, they're just sitting on the shelf. (The equivalent Triple 8 EP55 elbow pads are perfect though.)

You sure you are not trying to put them on upside down?

:w00t2:

(had to ask)