The kneeguard thread

30 minutes ago, tch_popeye said:

This.
Even forewarned, and a mountain bike rider for years, this is the problem I have with some secondhand Leatt Enduro pads I recently picked up. They’re the right size for me, and comfortable with a bent leg... but after a 25 minute ride with legs more straightened out on the EUC, I was sore where the tips of the pads were digging in. 

This makes all the sense. We ride with our legs almost straightened out most of the time. 

29 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

This makes all the sense. We ride with our legs almost straightened out most of the time. 

I find I sometimes ride quite bent legged. I ordered a MC suit in an 'upright' posture. At times I'm more aggressive in stance and you can tell the cut is almost too straight. Its so hard to know what will work for each person, as riding styles vary so wildly. I'd imagine old motocross riders are more comfortable in a crouch, than those that havent been. Same with mountain bikers I suppose. Funny how you are noticing the opposite problem that I do. D30 attempts to help with this, but at a compromise in compare to hard shell durability. Yup, catch 22. You want solid protection, but you want flexibility. The best we can do is find one that is somewhat in the ballpark of how we ride.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the  Kali strike knee/shin guards are honeycomb-style protection is all the rage these days,  These guards feature a moulded Xelion knee cap that takes the brunt of big blows while allowing air to pass through so you can keep cool.

In summary

Good brand, good protection, good pricepoint = hapoy rider. 

https://highendscooters.co.uk/product/kali-strike-knee-shin-guards/

knee-guard-e1613786949139-150x150.jpg

On 7/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, Antec said:

Dual Axis

I like these Leatt dual axis and they are relatively cheap as well.

I have one concern about them though: when flexed, the tibial protection part has an edge pointing forward. This means that if one falls and slides on the knees, this edge will brake hard in the first bump or something. After the sliding on knees will transform in hard face down smack, as the legs will be extended and no longer sliding.

Same goes for Alpinestars.

Am I missing something here?

48 minutes ago, Aztek said:

I have one concern about them though: when flexed, the tibial protection part has an edge pointing forward. This means that if one falls and slides on the knees, this edge will brake hard in the first bump or something. After the sliding on knees will transform in hard face down smack, as the legs will be extended and no longer sliding.

This is somewhat mitigated by the plates being relatively soft. If you kneel down, the tibial protection part will be fully pressed against the kneecap part (the vaguely semi-spherical shield part in the middle of the guards). Thus, there is only a small step in the sliding guard surface. However, the step is still present and also much bigger gaps on the sides (wherever gravity does not press the plates of the guard together).

I also think a bump would just drag the guards down your leg instead of causing a face down smack. I have heard stories of guards being dragged down (or, even more often, stories about the dual axis creeping down the leg during normal riding). But I have never heard anyone blaming them for a faceplant. In my own limited experience they always performed well, but I only had slow falls on smooth city surfaces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoos said:

This is somewhat mitigated by the plates being relatively soft. If you kneel down, the tibial protection part will be fully pressed against the kneecap part (the vaguely semi-spherical shield part in the middle of the guards).

This makes sense. Thanks!

We have the helmets, the back, the chest, the elbow pads, the knee pads, the shoulders, let's not forget the wheel.

image.png

Edited by varamontelo

Actually, I find that after only 15 kms going though bumpy terrain, my knees hurt for days after from the lateral and rotational forces exerted upon them by the heavy wheel.

So I am looking into the braces options.

Yes, they ARE quite expensive, but the knees, once injured, never heal, so no, they are cheap after all.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Aztek said:

Actually, I find that after only 15 kms going though bumpy terrain, my knees hurt for days after from the lateral and rotational forces exerted upon them by the heavy wheel.

So I am looking into the braces options.

Yes, they ARE quite expensive, but the knees, once injured, never heal, so no, they are cheap after all.

Man is that so true! I pay dearly for offroading on an euc as well. My solution is simply to not do it often or take a vehicle made for that kind of thing. For those that insist on beating their knees to death, perhaps a simple compression bandage will help? I wear those on my wrists for motocross racing. Its quite amazing how a little elastic compressing a joint, can help so much. Being wrists, a solid brace was not an option.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a cheap set two months ago. Three narrow straps on the leggings. Saved my knees n shins a couple of times, but the straps are starting to give out. 

Gonna give the EVS brand a try. Do a review once I get em.

Ok, here we go. They’re a bit hunky compared to the cheapies, but they have better straps with the quick   hooks. Should be ok.

Now I’ve been using the beginners leash in the five months I’ve been riding. I figured it was indispensable for trail riding as I’ve seen plenty of vids of wheels tumbling down the mountainside and woah unto me stories of wheels in the drink.

I figured I’d never give up the leash for the sake of the wheel. I hop off, the wheel doesn’t go it’s own way or clatter down through the rocks. It has also felt like the strap bull riders use a few times on some rough downhill sections of trail.

However, yesterday my new knee guard got caught on the lower edge of the lift handle on a dismount (handle in lift position while riding so as not to jerk it up catching the wheel) and I got a good whack on the shin below the guard. 
 I have in the past tied the leash to the shock frame, but the better attach is right at the top on the lift handle.

So I decided to ride back sans leash. WOW, I felt like someone took my security blanky away from me. 
 My wheel fell to the ground twice ! The horror !

On the other hand, I realized having my left arm (un)tethered to the wheel also changed the whole feel of the ride and my body movements.

So maybe it was not just holding the wheel back, but also my progress in terms of symmetrical body mechanics.

Hmmm….

5DE94E90-FFE2-4F77-B07E-A85680F70B3B.jpeg

Edited by OldFartRides
  • Like 1

P.S. forgot that editing post does not take it to the top of the page.

Also, I don’t normally stand that duckfooted. I was just giving a side view of the guards.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I got dual axis. Actually Husqvarna, but they are made by Leatt for them, so same thing I guess.

Yes, they slide down, as they are not expected to be worn over the trousers, supposedly. I got them xl size for the same reason.

Somehow, the thigh straps are too long, but the shin straps are short. The result: pressure sore on my right shin. (Not an actual ulcer though, from an hour of riding.)

I'll modify them and once problems are resolved will share experience.

As for the knee pain, I start to think the biggest reason are the soft shin guards (2-3 cm thick),  worn turned to the wheel, to spare me pressure hematomas in my lower leg muscles (which I got on the first ride).

I use now a bit of soft foam (yoga  mat) taped on the upper ks16xs "soft" pad. Seems to work by letting the wheel float more freely between my legs and sparing me the lateral knee tension and collateral ligaments and meniscus pain, at least to a point.

I suppose @Rehab1 might share a competent opinion on the last. 

Edited by Aztek
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:33 PM, OldFartRides said:

give up the leash

Using a leash seems dangerous. Those are heavy wheels and you don't want (I guess) to be pulled by it on a fall.

My philosophy is: jump, stay uninjured and let the wheel take the damage.

12 hours ago, Aztek said:

Yes, they slide down, as they are not expected to be worn over the trousers, supposedly. I got them xl size for the same reason.

By nature knee braces have a tendency to migrate distally. I always instruct my patients to wear some type of interface next to the skin before donning the brace.

The key to resist distal migration is the initial application. Flex the knee to approximately 30 degrees and make sure the top ‘calf strap’ is snug around the smaller circumference of the leg ( just above the calf muscle).

On some of my voluminous patients( trying to be politically correct:huh:)  I have attached an elastic suspender to the brace via velcro that then fastens to a waist belt. 

I use now a bit of soft foam (yoga  mat) taped on the upper ks16xs "soft" pad. Seems to work by letting the wheel float more freely between my legs and sparing me the lateral knee tension and collateral ligaments and meniscus pain, at least to a point.

That sounds like a plan. There is a plethora of techniques to diminish knee pain. Unfortunately one method does not fit everyone.  

Using a leash seems dangerous. Those are heavy wheels and you don't want (I guess) to be pulled by it on a fall.

I used a tether in the beginning as I wanted to fully concentrate on learning to ride while not scratching my wheel. Those days are over but IMHO you can attach a strap to the wheel via velcro or around the handle and then place the other end loosely in your pocket. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

I hate all my knee pads, I have: 

- Leatt brace 3DF hybrid ext

-Fox Racing Launch Pro D3O

- Leatt Dual Axis

- Triple 8 KP22

And after a while, all of these make my knees hurt, feel some kind of awkward compression, that turns in pain, and it limits my riding skills, have noticed that, when don't use them, I am more nimble.

Does anybody know about some soft, comfortable, Knee pads, and easy to to put over jeans? I never ride with shorts; maybe zipped or strapped knee pads, like Leatt Dual Axis

Thanks

1 hour ago, Mauricio said:

And after a while, all of these make my knees hurt, feel some kind of awkward compression, that turns in pain, and it limits my riding skills, have noticed that, when don't use them, I am more nimble.

Yes... If there are effective protectors which don't do this, I would like to know which are they too.

3 hours ago, Mauricio said:

Does anybody know about some soft, comfortable, Knee pads, and easy to to put over jeans? I never ride with shorts; maybe zipped or strapped knee pads, like Leatt Dual Axis

Have you considered motorcycle jeans with thin SAS-TEC SC-1/KB2 knee pads (www.sas-tec.de/en/products/sc-1-kb2-new/)? These give level 2 protection and are the easiest to put on, because they can be always on.

• Like 1

Il y a 20 heures, Mauricio a dit :

Je déteste toutes mes genouillères, j'ai : 

- Leatt croisillon 3DF hybride ext

-Fox Racing Lancement Pro D3O

- Leatt double hache

- Triple 8 KP22

Et après un certain temps, tout cela me fait mal aux genoux, ressent une sorte de compression gênante, qui devient douloureuse, et cela limite mes compétences de conduite, j'ai remarqué que, lorsque je ne les utilise pas, je suis plus agile .

Est-ce que quelqu'un connaît des genouillères douces, confortables et faciles à enfiler par-dessus un jean ? Je ne roule jamais avec un court; peut-être des genouillères zippées ou attachées, comme Leatt Dual Axis

Merci

It's safe to never ride in shorts. If you don't want the knee pads, you put pants with the integrated shells it's easy to put on every day without disturbing the articulation, no pain, ideal biker protection. To wash the pants, the shells of the knee pockets are removed, drying is quick.

Edited by varamontelo
erreurs orthographe

On the other hand (literally), on top of hating the protectors and the inconveniences, they cause, I love them too for sparing me big pieces of skin, which I would otherwise leave on the asphalt... See, it's complicated :)

By the way, pants with protectors seem nice alternative, but for city riding, I feel, some outer shell is needed. Just to avoid tearing those pants while sliding.

So, it's again complicated.

IMG-a9c43ca945049575e3411798bd4a785e-V_resize_77.jpg

IMG-5938c38b53d9810f9b97bde0a0bd17f3-V_resize_18.jpg

Edited by Aztek

The above protections are stronger and thicker but without comfort. The pants have several qualities, there are many shells to choose from. Biker pants for the track are slip resistant: watch drops on circuits and the speed of a Ducati Panigale.

Indeed, mc pants should withstand a few slides. Personally I wear the leatt dual axis both over or under regular pants depending on weather. I must say the leatts are more comfortable and more secure (no sliding around) when worn under pants. Unless you wear skinny-fit jeans/pants/leggings, wearing guards over pants will mean there is an awkward excess of pant fabric between you and the guard.

Anyway, Leatts and other standalone guards keep in place by tightly hugging you around the knee area. If that's uncomfortable then mc pants with pads indeed looks like the only alternative. You could also try knee braces but that would be an expensive experiment.

In the summer heat I wear the leatt dual axis under slightly cropped thai fisherman pants. Such pants are perfect for the task: 1) they are so roomy that the leatt axis are invisible under them (unless I sit). 2) I can take the leatts off without even pulling up the pant sleeves thanks to leatts snap fasteners 3) the pants offer superb ventilation while not being shorts 4) they are cheap, 5-20$ probably.

Due to completely hiding the armor I am less intimidating to pedestrians and blend in better (just don't forget to take off your helmet in shops and cafes). In a crash the pants will probably tear open immediately and let the leatts do their thing, but this is ok. I suspect most of us don't fall that often during commutes so replacing a pair of regular pants after a crash is a bearable expense. And if you plan group rides, off-road or other high-risk adventures, you can dress specifically for that.

Accordingly with your suggestions, I have made my decision , and have ordered this:

- ARMORED BLACK ON BLACK REFLECTIVE PERFORMANCE HOODIE & Slim TRIPLEFLEX SAS-TEC Level 2 Pads: https://www.lazyrolling.com/collections/new-collection/products/black-on-black-reflective-jacket

- ARMORED SLIM CARGO Pants: https://www.lazyrolling.com/collections/sale/products/armored-slim-cargo

- Knox Orsa OR3 Gloves - Black: https://www.ebay.com/itm/323746874576?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=512781201016&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks everybody!

Edited by Mauricio
  • Like 1