The kneeguard thread

Got the EVS sleeve type elbow guards today. They feel comfy, but I think I went wrong with L/XL . Same with the knee guards. 
I’m tall and skinny. Prolly shoulda gone with Sm/M. Only two adult sizes to choose from. This stuff doesn’t last a lifetime, so next time around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use a combination of cheap pads (in layers) that provide decent protection while remaining comfortable.

1. Low-profile D3O layer (slip-on)
  2. Low-profile Gel/Foam layer (slip-on)
  3. Shin Guards with hard shell protectors (strap-on)

I wound up discovering these work well together after buying (Demon) D3O Smartskins on sale and found them lacking. So, I added some (Asics) volleyball knee pads on top of the D3O and topped it off with (Shift Enforcer) Knee/Shin Guards. 

smart_20skinn_20knee_20front_100x.jpg?v= +     ZD0920_90_AC_FT_GLB  +   08082001?$dw_detn1$&wid=100&hei=100

If you buy D3O knee pads, make sure they stay securely in place. Originally, I added the extra knee pads to prevent the D3O patch from slipping around, but I found the extra padding was still comfortable (even after adding a hard shell layer on top).

I've bought many (cheaper) low profile pads over the years and find it convenient to mix-and-match combos based on riding conditions.

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 3:11 PM, OldFartRides said:

Got the EVS sleeve type elbow guards today. They feel comfy, but I think I went wrong with L/XL . Same with the knee guards. 
I’m tall and skinny. Prolly shoulda gone with Sm/M. Only two adult sizes to choose from. This stuff doesn’t last a lifetime, so next time around.

I’m tall and skinny as well. I ended up shortening the straps on my knee/shin pads. If you or someone you know can do simple sewing it’s an easy fix!

• Like 2