King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

11 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

For me as long as the inner bolts are really tight that has been sufficient. I agree shimming it’s filing is better, but I had a really hard time finding the right shim combination that worked with the tire alignment. I did end up adjusting it with shims a bit so I only need to keep one of the 8 bolts not completely snug. Every two weeks or so I check that the bolts are still tight (easy to do just by sitting on the wheel and using a stubby Allen key). 

I’m tempted by the v2 hollow motor upgrade. It seems like that will solve these annoying alignment issues. 

I agree that is a painfull process, the good part is that once you find the issue, you can use a filer instead  and fix the problem permanently. 

having it loose will allow for smooth glide, but under pressure, on turns etc, it will stuch it self, I think you will notice some instability, at least that those my fndings. But I agree that is is a good solution nevertheless. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Is there a torque spec or recommendation for the axel bolts? I have a thing about torquing bolts that keep important parts on...

I do not know either, I use experience for this, but cannot put it to numbers. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, enaon said:

I agree that is a painfull process, the good part is that once you find the issue, you can use a filer instead  and fix the problem permanently.

I’d love to understand how you did this. I saw your post with pictures, but am confused about what exactly you filed and where. From the photos I couldn’t tell what surfaces you were finishing. Next time I take the wheel apart I might try this. 

8 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

I’d love to understand how you did this. I saw your post with pictures, but am confused about what exactly you filed and where. From the photos I couldn’t tell what surfaces you were finishing. Next time I take the wheel apart I might try this. 

the way you describe it seem like the standard issue, the inner gap, where the axle fits, is not wide enough, the axle is touching the side walls sooner than it should on the inner part. You can verify this by thing to fit an 0.2 mm shim in the axle-top of holder gap, if it goes in, then you should file the sidewalls of the holder. 

the shims solution it to place them on the outer side, so as when you fully tighten the outer bolts, they will use the shims and will not cause tension on the sliders. It is as good I think, just that filing is more like a solution rather than a fix. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, enaon said:

the way you describe it seem like the standard issue, the inner gap, where the axle fits, is not wide enough, the axle is touching the side walls sooner than it should on the inner part. You can verify this by thing to fit an 0.2 mm shim in the axle-top of holder gap, if it goes in, then you should file the sidewalls of the holder. 

Thanks! That helps. Do you file both sidewalls symmetrically? Do you need to file the left and right side axle holder or just the one on the cable side?

11 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

Thanks! That helps. Do you file both sidewalls symmetrically? Do you need to file the left and right side axle holder or just the one on the cable side?

not all s18's are the excact same, this is why I call it painfull, and shiming is best at start to figure out the problem. In my case, I had to file both sides, mainly the one without the motor cable, but then again even my axle is different, it has the cable gap on the side, not on the bottom/top.

maybe try putting some paste in the axle and fully tighten it, then remove the wheel and check if and where the paste is still there, this will help you understand what part is not touching the holder. 

Edited by enaon
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, enaon said:

not all s18's are the excact same, this is why I call it painfull, and shiming is best at start to figure out the problem. In my case, I had to file both sides, mainly the one without the motor cable, but then again even my axle is different, it has the cable gap on the side, not on the bottom/top.

I found I only need to shim the motor cable side, so maybe I’ll start there. Just to be clear, it it the aluminum block at the bottom that needs to be filed, or is it the part at the top? I guess it has to be the top part as that would affect the alignment of the sliders and is why the shim goes there. 

So it is not this part: https://www.euco.us/collections/king-song-s18-parts-online-listing/products/ks-s18-motor-clamp-piece

22 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

it it the aluminum block at the bottom that needs to be filed, or is it the part at the top?

the top part, the sliders, was always the cause of the problem as far as I have seen, the bottom clamps are grabbing the axle fine. 

• Thanks 1

Is it a characteristic of the S18 to pedal dip if accelerating up an incline at speed? I've had mine for almost two years now. We recently paved a "steep" driveway on a farm and I was going too fast up it apparently and I think it dipped forward, dumping me off, and grinding my knees and forearms up pretty bad. I was "only doing barn check" so I didn't have any gear on and was definitely going too fast. But is this a thing when accelerating up a hill? Or maybe I over torqued it and go a cut out? 

Still awaiting ewheels S22...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Ouch. I hope you're ok.

The S18's 3P configuration is notorious for being 'easy' to over torque, from your description that's likely what happened. Do you know what your battery percentage was?

More than 90% at the time. It was fully charged, and then just rolled around the farm during that day. 

It's a good reminder that every place that I am currently scabbed up and bleeding from are the exact spots that my safety gear would have covered if I had it on. 

The majority of my riding is off road so I'm rarely going at or near 20mph unless I am on smooth flat ground. I think speeding up the smooth hill is what did me in. It happen fast, but I remember it felt like the pedals just dipped out in front of me as if the wheel was shutting down. "Overtorqued" is probably what happened. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Ksmack said:

Just found a new video someone took on YouTube of the second gen hollow motor and aluminum slider design. It looks like the pedal hangers might be updated as well?

Right; that looks like the V2 that ecodrift posted about: https://ecodrift-ru.translate.goog/2022/09/08/kingsong-s18-v2-nachalo/?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en

It’s not clear when that might be released by kingsong, but it almost appears that ecodrift was selling it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

@fbhb 

Excellent ! This is such a difficult subject to elaborate on. Thank you for making the effort.

@OldFartRides, not too much of a problem really as I had wanted to add that specific information to my original Full Overhaul thread anyway.

But thank you very much for the kind words, the positive feedback is always appreciated.

21 minutes ago, NewB said:

Anybody know what's up with the "late September" batch of S18s being sold by ewheels? The suspens(ion) is killing me!

Not ewheels but I just asked Eevees whether the new batch of S18s is the ones with the redesigned sliders/motor. They said yes. Might be worth reaching out to Ewheels to confirm as well.

If it is confirmed that the "molicel version" is indeed the one with this new slider design I'd actually want to upgrade my S18 to this one!

Edited by sunstrong
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, sunstrong said:

Not ewheels but I just asked Eevees whether the new batch of S18s is the ones with the redesigned sliders/motor. They said yes. Might be worth reaching out to Ewheels to confirm as well.

If it is confirmed that the "molicel version" is indeed the one with this new slider design I'd actually want to upgrade my S18 to this one!

I asked and will let you know what they say!

• Thanks 2