King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

final product.

and strictly by accident, these projects turned out better than i thought

the wheels are sitting on their tires a little bit and just teetering on the frames just a smidgeon above the boards.

the dolley is perfectly level, so to calibrate, just tell the app and then push down a little and start the wheel.

perfect calibration every time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NewB said:

OK, everyone. I just changed the control board in my S18 and now I am speed limited. I hear I can unlock it early in EUC World, but I can't figure it out. Can anybody out there help me?

Not that I'm aware of, you just got to ride it out. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, NewB said:

OK, everyone. I just changed the control board in my S18 and now I am speed limited. I hear I can unlock it early in EUC World, but I can't figure it out. Can anybody out there help me?

If you don't want to ride it out, you might be able to fake it (very slowly). Put the lift switch in microbalance mode, then with the trolley at the first detent put the wheel on a stand so the tire turns, and it will turn slowly and crawl toward the unlock mileage. I haven't actually done this myself, but it might work!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

If you don't want to ride it out, you might be able to fake it (very slowly). Put the lift switch in microbalance mode, then with the trolley at the first detent put the wheel on a stand so the tire turns, and it will turn slowly and crawl toward the unlock mileage. I haven't actually done this myself, but it might work!

@Tawpie is correct in his assumption so you can definitely try putting your S18 on a stand or blocks, with a very slight forward lean to allow it to run at slow/safe speed.

I DID actually use this method myself to clock up the unlock mileage on my own S18, without issue.

• Like 1

@NewB

Try opening and logging into EUC world app. 

Then have EUC search for and connect to the wheel. 

To do this, press on the icon at the top, green round circle with white ring.

The Blue Tooth symbol then appears to the left.  Press it.

The wheel will come up as a search result.  Press on it to connect wheel.

Your EUC world profile data will show the wheel that you have many kms ridden, and the beginner's speed throttling not required, thereby lifting it.

Need to have phone setting allowing for 'location' enabled.

Try that.

Edited by Paul A

15 minutes ago, Paul A said:

@NewB

Try opening and logging into EUC world app. 

Then have EUC search for and connect to the wheel. 

To do this, press on the icon at the top, green round circle with white ring.

The Blue Tooth symbol then appears to the left.  Press it.

The wheel will come up as a search result.  Press on it to connect wheel.

Your EUC world profile data will show the wheel that you have many kms ridden, and the beginner's speed throttling not required, thereby lifting it.

Need to have phone setting allowing for 'location' enabled.

Try that.

I'll make sure the location is enabled. I thought it was, but I'll check. Since it's a new control board, it may think it's looking at a new wheel or something? It was unlocked with the old control board...

The wheel's total mileage is stored on the control board, so when you replace the control board, you get "new" mileage.

FWIW, my suggestion of the very very slow method is one that doesn't care about the front-to-back levelness of the stand, the wheel just pokes along at some fixed speed. If you don't use the microbalance-trolly-handle-at-first-detent method, you'll need to adjust the level of your stand so it doesn't make the wheel go to full-free-spin.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I'm going to try that. My commute is incredibly short (a block), so it could take a long time for me to even hit a mile.

17 minutes ago, NewB said:

I'm going to try that. My commute is incredibly short (a block), so it could take a long time for me to even hit a mile.

Nothing stopping you from going for a beautiful scenic tour for an hour, enjoy the nature and the special freedom of transport we can enjoy! ;)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Nothing stopping you from going for a beautiful scenic tour for an hour, enjoy the nature and the special freedom of transport we can enjoy! ;)

You mean other than family and work commitments?

it's only 6.3 miles to unlock it. and u can cruise at 19 mph. i did it yesterday on my little under a mile driveway. did another 8 today and probably didn't go over 15mph. with the stock tire on it, it is good training because u have to do lots of compensating for that stupid center rib. 

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

The wheel's total mileage is stored on the control board, so when you replace the control board, you get "new" mileage.

FWIW, my suggestion of the very very slow method is one that doesn't care about the front-to-back levelness of the stand, the wheel just pokes along at some fixed speed. If you don't use the microbalance-trolly-handle-at-first-detent method, you'll need to adjust the level of your stand so it doesn't make the wheel go to full-free-spin.

Omigod, it worked!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

It went all of one whole mile an hour. I set it up, took the family to Barnes & Noble, had dinner, and was able to unlock it afterwards and ride around the block at reasonable speeds right before a rousing game of Exploding Kittens. Thank you so very much!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewB said:

was able to unlock it afterwards and ride around the block at reasonable speeds

May need to turn the wheel on again, and ride it again.......to check if the unlocking is now permanent. 

Edited by Paul A

One more thing...

I replaced my controller and shock, and everything is running just fine, but one issue remains. The tire cover. The damn tire cover. One of the little plastic protuberances hits the wheel - once per revolution. Has anyone fashioned a stiffener to hold the tire cover apart so it doesn't rub? Kingsong could have fashioned a channel for it to ride in as the suspension does it's thing, or it could have designed the cover so there is no chance of it angling in ever so slightly. All I need is a few millimeters...

30 minutes ago, NewB said:

One more thing...

I replaced my controller and shock, and everything is running just fine, but one issue remains. The tire cover. The damn tire cover. One of the little plastic protuberances hits the wheel - once per revolution. Has anyone fashioned a stiffener to hold the tire cover apart so it doesn't rub? Kingsong could have fashioned a channel for it to ride in as the suspension does it's thing, or it could have designed the cover so there is no chance of it angling in ever so slightly. All I need is a few millimeters...

Maybe a picture or short video would help? The interesting thing I discovered about the S18, and probably why it was so difficult for KS to get "right" out of the box is that it's an intricate puzzle... all the pieces have to be put in just so because they are used to align the next pieces. If the base layer is off, nothing goes together quite right.

But visuals will do a world of good—at least 1 of the protuberances on the fender just has to be shaved off, no amount of fiddling will get it to not bang (I don't think this is your issue, but that's where visuals will help!)

(hints on posting videos are pinned to a topic)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Maybe a picture or short video would help? The interesting thing I discovered about the S18, and probably why it was so difficult for KS to get "right" out of the box is that it's an intricate puzzle... all the pieces have to be put in just so because they are used to align the next pieces. If the base layer is off, nothing goes together quite right.

But visuals will do a world of good—at least 1 of the protuberances on the fender just has to be shaved off, no amount of fiddling will get it to not bang (I don't think this is your issue, but that's where visuals will help!)

(hints on posting videos are pinned to a topic)

Thanks for the guidance. Itll be a few days before I post a video - it's raining and I don't trust myself enough to try and ride in it (and hold my phone) yet. It only does it when I'm riding, which makes it harder to diagnose. I can't apply enough downward pressure to make it do it without being on it.

2 hours ago, NewB said:

One more thing...

You didn't remove tire from rim by chance?

I had similar issue once per revolution wheel started to make "clunking/clicking" noise. Only while riding.. Only while going forwards and turning right. 2 week later after disassembling whole wheel - i figured from where the noise was coming. Valve stem.... Somehow the tube inside had moved. And each time tire pressed against ground made the valve stem move. After tire leaves the ground - it would spring back into position. It had 2-3mm play inside the rim hole. And that made that dumb noise!

Have you tried riding backwards? Also makes noise? (I also taught something is "rubbing". But that didn't make sense.. Then i thought maybe bearing went bad.. But that still would not make sense why only while turning right and going forwards made the noise.) I put simple heat-shrink around the valve to fill in that gap in rim - no more noise. :D 

If you have to "tight" Cover - Watch this video. He uses some washers to make it wider.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe could have removed that part of the fender, and leave it off.

Could also ride naked. :whistling: I like to feel cold sprays on my back after light rain. Or have dirty wheel.

Edited by Funky