King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Here are my wild speculations from what’s been revealed in the teaser video:

Spokes indicate an 18-inch wheel.

Tire looks thick enough to be 3-inches wide.

Handle looks like it runs parallel to the axle instead of the Kingsong standard diagonal. The should allow for more symmetrical balancing and positioning of components. Also room for suspension components.

Exposed frame looks cool, but I worry about rain, water going in and water coming up!

Shell looks like it is sloped for power-pad-like leveraging with legs.

The angle of the exposed frame suggests multi-link suspension.

Looking forward to everyone else’s rampant speculation over the next 24-hours!

5AB2A931-BF33-4144-B8D6-95BD679C8BEB.jpeg

Edited by Asphalt
Spelling
  • Like 2

There is speculation that it's a re-purposed 18S. I hope it isn't because I was never a big fan of the tall shell.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wise, but not very fun ;)

yea i know haha.. i always say it, but then im so impatient that right after the first review i want it! lol

• Like 2

Are those red packs the batteries? If so, it appears as though there are more battery packs towards the front. Will be interesting to feel how the wheel handles.

There’s also a fragile-looking cable run for the rear batteries to the main board. I hope they’ve tested this machine for durability.

34 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Are those red packs the batteries? If so, it appears as though there are more battery packs towards the front. Will be interesting to feel how the wheel handles.

There’s also a fragile-looking cable run for the rear batteries to the main board. I hope they’ve tested this machine for durability.

dear god i hope not lol... or if it is, i hope thats a bullet/water proof casing and not shrink wrap lmao

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If the photo above is the final design of the S18:

• The wheel is not suitable for off road riding. Just a single fall on dirt would get sand and mud in the suspension mechanism. A single slow speed tumble on a rocky path could render the suspension and possibly the whole wheel unusable.
  • First photo we see already has rather thick DIY packaging foam added for sidepads?! Lacking in comfort much?
  • 1110Wh is right there among the smallest 18" EUC batteries since something like 2016.
  • The shapes and lines of the design look very unsleek, unpractical, and unneccessary.
  • The ChaoYang H-5102 tire is a street tire, pure and simple. The CST C-1488 of the current 18XL would be at least manageable off-road.

Hence, no matter if I could have a cup of tea on top of the wheel not splashing despite riding down steep stairs at speed, and even if it would enable me to ride up actual stairs worth 40°, and even if it wouldn't cost more than $1000, I'd have no interest in buying one. Maybe if Inmotion didn't have a properly covered off-road capable wheel with 30% larger battery, great lights, and if the S18 really did cost $1000. Even an XL version of this is an obvious hard pass for me. I don't even know who I could recommend getting one.

ouch.. i do agree on all points though.. i am really hoping this is just a prototype showing off the internals and there will be some sort of covering shell (clear would be really awesome) because yea despite the major suspension it looks very uncomfortable on its own... i thought the C-1488 was the original XL tire and the H-5102 was its successor? the first 18XL i owned had the 1488 and the second like a year later had the 5102.. but thats not the h-5102 tire on there... though it looks equally as slick, i dont think ive ever seen it before

edit: this is the tread pattern... except that is for a mobility scooter lmao.. not sure where this exact tire is from

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Asphalt said:

On closer inspection it looks like there’s an internal wheel cover, so that should prevent the bidet effect.

did not notice that at all lol... bidet effect rofl, well in 2020 some may have appreciated that

• Like 2

If those red blocks are indeed battery packs, then it looks like there’s room for more batteries above the rear pack if they’re willing to have it visible in the exposed section.

This leads me to think that there may be a cover. Kingsong might just be showing it with the cover removed to highlight the suspension.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i thought the C-1488 was the original XL tire and the H-5102 was its successor? the first 18XL i owned had the 1488 and the second like a year later had the 5102..

I didn't know it came with the CST early on! Late last summer, a bit before the 2200W motor update my brother received a new 18XL with the stronger white inner shell and the C-1488 tire. So far I had only seen 18XLs with the H-5102.

13 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

but thats not the h-5102 tire on there... though it looks equally as slick, i dont think ive ever seen it before

Good catch! Yep, looks like maybe a direct response to the H-5102 from another brand.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I didn't know it came with the CST early on! Late last summer, a bit before the 2200W motor update my brother received a new 18XL with the stronger white inner shell and the C-1488 tire. So far I had only seen 18XLs with the H-5102.

Good catch! Yep, looks like maybe a direct response to the H-5102 from another brand.

oh sorry i lied.. i just checked both mine have the h-5102 lol i was getting it mixed up with my V3S+ which had the c-1488, though the first one was all black shell and second was white inner shell.... hmmm, then i have never seen an 18L/XL with the 1488 so yea they probably changed it, though part of me thinks they switch tires sometimes due to pricing or stock.. hasnt the 16x had like three different tires lol, 16s has also had three i think i remember way back it was a super hard kenda tire.. msx has had two? im not sure if their decisions regarding tire is deliberate from feedback, or just supply lol

Edited by Rywokast

1 minute ago, Asphalt said:

This looks like a good latch point for a theoretical cover.

7E43904F-AF9D-42E3-BB41-5F6227C30E2F.jpeg

could be could be.. if they hadnt covered it up with a velcro swatch we might be able to tell lmao... im thinking that instead of people bitching about colours, maybe for the first time they will actually allow customization.. like these side panels pop off easy and they make a whole bunch of colors/designs you can hot swap... that would be awesome, i remember they experimented with those dumb stickers for the 16x lol