King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

It should be live over the weekend; to fit into the appropriate pricing slots, we'll be introducing at $1,899. 

@Kuji Rolls is a big fan, I believe his review video is coming out in the next week, says it's the superior to all other Wheels he's 

@Jason McNeil do you know if he has tested the Inmotion V11 yet?

• Like 2

I wonder if the design is open, to assist in cooling? You guys are great, it DOES look like a helmet! You do know that it aint a pro visor unless it has a pinlock system?  How much of that is REALLY exposed while riding? One would expect that even exposed, it not going to fail with a little water, those naked bikes do just fine. Exposed, maybe itll dry faster and be EASIER to blow out and wipe down. Im just hoping that the KS group has surely done some testing with the water hose.  At just under $2k, now I really am worried I'll be a preorder victim.. The test model seems to already be missing a plastic trim ring around the headlight?:popcorn:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Compared to the space dedicated to the battery in the 1554Wh KS-18XL, I'm surprised they can fit 3P 1,100Wh inside the shell. 60 volts (16-cells each) maybe? No speakers, minimal lights, barely room for the control board, and it isn't looking like the 2 USB charge ports survived. The S18 probably is the high-mileage model.

10cm suspension travel? Looks more like we have to apply the 50% compensation factor as with the King Song marketing department's advertised range...10cm suspension: 5cm travel from the shock and 5cm from the tire.

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 2

I'd hate to admit it, but if Kuji says he likes it, especially after trying the v11, I'd be a preorder victim. WHen we cant see this in the wild, sometimes the word of a reviewer holds way too much weight. I already assume this thing will topple and bang down many hills. Hopefully replacement parts are gna be ready and its made to take the abuse. As sexy as it is, itll look even better with some road rash! Soften that shock up, I wanna see it EAT those bumps at speed. A nice washboard dirt covered hill would suffice. I dont need more lights or speakers, my dirtbike aint got em...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I don't know @ShanesPlanet, the S18, from the looks of it, will have body panel attachment issues and break them off easily. (Probably foam pad placement issues also.) Next up is getting clothing and other stuff stuck in the opening out back--someone will do it and necessitate a body panel redesign, and the limited-run v1 panels will be out-of-production.

Then there's [most likely] going to be the battery issues...it might be better to wait for the S18v2.

• Like 1

One thing I'd really like to see before I pre-order is kuji's review.. and a wheel breakdown on how to change the tire. Not gunna lie I check to see how much of a nightmare it is to change the tire before I decide to buy. So hopefully they are released roughly around the same time. I know Kingsong did a great job releasing the breakdown video for the 16x. 

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Hopefully replacement parts are gna be ready

Love your optimism Shane but shudder at the thought of busting up a new wheel before taking delivery.  

I did purchase a new truck once and was slammed by another driver while exiting the dealership. Parts were available. 

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Out of the 17 wheels that I've owned, only 3 required me to remove a tire for repairs. But I agree that it would be nice if working on the tire was not a nightmare. I continue to hope that I never have to replace the Z10 tire.

Thats great to know, I only had 1 issue with my v8, however Im pretty sure it may have been self induced :unsure:. Although  after walking back 8 miles, I may just be overly paranoid now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Out of the 17 wheels that I've owned, only 3 required me to remove a tire for repairs. But I agree that it would be nice if working on the tire was not a nightmare. I continue to hope that I never have to replace the Z10 tire.

One thing nice about owning multiple wheels is the less tendency to change out tires. I believe it’s called ‘Wheel Rotation’.:)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's a fantastic city wheel with great suspension. But it's a slow wheel with limited range.

Suspension....for a city wheel? :blink:

I think a lot of people are looking at this wheel with off-roading in mind, and that's what the aggressive design conjures in my mind. I can understand range as a tradeoff, more of a "go nuts offroading for a couple of hours" (more leisure oriented), but slow? As in top speed or not torquey? KS, don't do that to us !!!

If I'm being super objective about it, the suspension on this wheel has to make a noticeable difference (in a good way) for this wheel to be worth it.  Otherwise, you can get a KS-18XL for the same price and get a much bigger battery, speakers, same motor and slightly thinner tire.  The 18XL is also established so no issues getting parts, no surprises with the new hardware/software, etc. 

So yeah, really interested to see what the reviews say since the 18XL is on my list of possible upgrades.  This fits right in with my personal needs.  I don't need a huge battery and 1kWh seems to be the minimum that people expect and this beats that.  I also have no plans on riding in the rain/wet so I'm not super concerned about how this will perform in more rugged use.  Also, it's dead sexy.  If it performs well (given its battery limitations) I could see myself getting one of these for sure.

• Like 2

Just now, null said:

There are so many curbs and paved roads in Paris I'd be gad to have suspensions on a city wheel. Issue with the weight for a 18" though. My main use for a S18 would be long road trips to get less knee fatigue. It would need more battery first though.

So with this new KS my dream of riding full speed on some Parisian streets, will become a reality :-)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

So with this new KS my dream of riding full speed on some Parisian streets, will become a reality :-)

But @Marty Backe said that Kuji said it's slow... :crying:

(A new wheel and we all turn into children again) :roflmao:

• Like 3