Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

5 hours ago, RenaissanceMan said:

I cannot come up with a sensible explanation for an intentional outbreak, except that some cynics might smell a chance to get rid of the problem of over-aging demographics, drained state pension funds and bankrupt health insurance systems. For such a Darwinian, inescapable purge of society (people and businesses) to work one could not have the epidemic stopped too early (UK and US were actively delaying the spread, just to name two of them). But all that seems too farfetched, like in a bad movie or Sci-Fi thriller. Although, I cannot think of anybody else benefiting more from this crisis on a larger, world wide scale.

On a different note, I noticed with alarm there are younger folks on youtube who advocate a world without old and sick people (eg. documented in: The Morons Of Coronavirus, E. Klein, at 5:15 and 6:15).

If China wanted to hurt Europe or other countries, they wouldn’t need a nuclear bomb or even develop a bio weapon to create an intentional outbreak, they just had to stop supplying the rest of the world with antibiotics and other essential drugs many western countries desperately depend on. This would diminish a large part of the older population in those countries within a few years. And nobody could even blame China. They just had to whisper two magic words: “China first!” 
So I agree with you. A conspiracy to kill off the old is rather far fetched. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, travsformation said:

Nice try ;)

Again, Chinese aren't able to count.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/urn-deliveries-wuhan-china-coronavirus-death-toll

China has reported 3,299 coronavirus-related deaths, with most taking place in Wuhan, the epicenter of the global pandemic. But one funeral home received two shipments of 5,000 urns over the course of two days, according to the Chinese media outlet Caixin.

I'm not for one minute saying the pandemic is a man made deliberate act but it has given governments across the globe a convenient excuse to curb public freedom and monitor the activities of citizens.

My guess is that when this crisis is over public freedom will never quite return to pre Covid levels.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Again, Chinese aren't able to count

It’s naive (if not insulting!) to believe or state that Chinese are not able to count. They are very able! But people in charge, who know the real numbers, may have chosen or may have been ordered to keep the results of their counts under lock and key. And I am sure there are other nations (or in your vocabulary: other „Chinese“) who also „aren’t able to count!“ Below just two examples:

1F994D3F-6217-4CE5-8151-4C559A8D7B42.jpeg

2CE5CB77-1F5E-4B62-A9A0-65C9829E9461.jpeg

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

naive (if not insulting!) to believe or state that Chinese are not able to count. They are very able! But people in charge, who know the real numbers, may have chosen or may have been ordered to keep the results of their counts under lock and key. And I am sure there are other nations (or in your vocabulary: other „Chinese“) who also „aren’t able to count!“ Below just two examples

While the below examples are of people also unable to count, their country's media and their scientific institutions seem able to count.

However, from top to bottom, Chinese seem unable to correctly count. It's bizarre, since the Chinese put so much effort into beating up and jailing reporters and doctors who are counting.

I just have no idea why Chinese can't count. They do so well in SAT and other standardized testing.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, jojo33 said:

AFNOR CERTIFICATION edit a guide for making a barrier mask (if you can fix a EUC, you are able to make your masks yourself :efef62fc70: ) :

"27 Mar 2020 Covid-19: a reference document for manufacturing barrier masks

On March 27, 2020, AFNOR offers a repository to download free of charge for the manufacture of a new mask model, known as a “barrier mask”. This aims to protect the healthy population, in addition to the essential barrier gestures faced with the pandemic caused by the coronavirus.

Spring 2020, Covid-A9 pandemic: the shortage of surgical masks and FFP2 encourages companies, artisans and even individuals to urgently make protective masks, with great reinforcement of tutorials and sewing patterns. In front of this anthology of advice and models with heterogeneous and sometimes dubious qualities, AFNOR makes available a reference document proposing requirements to be satisfied to manufacture these masks. This is the document AFNOR Spec - Barrier masks , accessible free of charge in its version 1.0 (in French and in English), the fruit of a leading collective expertise conducted in five days......."

https://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&tab=rT1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnormalisation.afnor.org%2Factualites%2Fcovid-19-un-document-de-reference-pour-fabriquer-des-masques-barrieres%2F

Dear friends
I just received the two pdf documents to make a reusable barrier mask yourself, it is intended for both individuals and businesses who want to manufacture the masks
it is only in french
The good news is:  

In response to the coronavirus epidemic, the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC) have made freely accessible a series of European standards applying to the medical equipment and the personal protection equipment used to face the COVID-19 pandemic. The 11 standards in question, developed by experts from all over Europe, cover the different kinds of masks, medical gloves and protective clothing. They can be freely downloaded from each countries website

Free access to these European standards will facilitate the work of numerous companies that are restructuring their production chains to quickly provide equipment to healthcare professionals and patients.

https://www.cencenelec.eu/News/Press_Releases/Pages/PR-2020-003.aspx

and below, the list of all the sites by country which offer manufacturing guides in your own language, I checked for example on the spain site and there is the possibility of downloading for free (look on the page for the link concerning the coronavirus) look spain exemple https://www.une.org/la-asociacion/sala-de-informacion-une/noticias/une-facilita-el-acceso-gratuito-a-sus-normas-para-la-fabricacion-de-material-contra-el-coronavirus

WARNING: I have been looking for certain countries, they have not yet published on their websites

https://standards.cen.eu/dyn/www/f?p=CENWEB:5:::NO:::

CEN Members

Acronym
sort up sort down
Country
sort up  
Organization
sort up sort down
Website
sort up sort down
ASI
Austria Austrian Standards International - Standardization and Innovation www.austrian-standards.at
NBN
Belgium Bureau de Normalisation/Bureau voor Normalisatie www.nbn.be
BDS
Bulgaria Bulgarian Institute for Standardization www.bds-bg.org
HZN
Croatia Croatian Standards Institute www.hzn.hr
CYS
Cyprus Cyprus Organization for Standardisation www.cys.org.cy
Czech Republic Czech Office for Standards, Metrology and Testing www.unmz.cz
DS
Denmark Dansk Standard www.ds.dk
EVS
Estonia Estonian Centre for Standardisation www.evs.ee
SFS
Finland Suomen Standardisoimisliitto r.y. www.sfs.fi
France Association Française de Normalisation www.afnor.org
DIN
Germany Deutsches Institut für Normung www.din.de
Greece National Quality Infrastructure System www.elot.gr
Hungary Hungarian Standards Institution www.mszt.hu
IST
Iceland Icelandic Standards www.stadlar.is
Ireland National Standards Authority of Ireland www.nsai.ie
UNI
Italy Ente Nazionale Italiano di Unificazione www.uni.com
LVS
Latvia Latvian Standard Ltd. www.lvs.lv
LST
Lithuania Lithuanian Standards Board www.lsd.lt
Luxembourg Organisme Luxembourgeois de Normalisation www.portail-qualite.lu
Malta The Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority https://www.mccaa.org.mt/
NEN
Netherlands Nederlands Normalisatie-instituut www.nen.nl
SN
Norway Standards Norway www.standard.no/
PKN
Poland Polish Committee for Standardization www.pkn.pl
IPQ
Portugal Instituto Português da Qualidade http://www1.ipq.pt/
Republic of North Macedonia Standardization Institute of the Republic of North Macedonia www.isrm.gov.mk
Romania Romanian Standards Association www.asro.ro
ISS
Serbia Institute for Standardization of Serbia www.iss.rs
Slovakia Slovak Office of Standards Metrology and Testing www.unms.sk
Slovenia Slovenian Institute for Standardization www.sist.si
UNE
Spain Asociación Española de Normalización www.une.org
SIS
Sweden Swedish Institute for Standards - SIS www.sis.se
SNV
Switzerland Schweizerische Normen-Vereinigung www.snv.ch
TSE
Turkey Turkish Standards Institution www.tse.org.tr
BSI
United Kingdom British Standards Institution www.bsigroup.com

Good luck, ganbatte ! Mucho animo ! Bon courage

joris

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

If China wanted to hurt Europe or other countries, they wouldn’t need a nuclear bomb or even develop a bio weapon to create an intentional outbreak, they just had to stop supplying the rest of the world with antibiotics and other essential drugs many western countries desperately depend on. This would diminish a large part of the older population in those countries within a few years. And nobody could even blame China. They just had to whisper two magic words: “China first!” 
So I agree with you. A conspiracy to kill off the old is rather far fetched. 

I never said or implied China to be the aggressor.

• Like 1

It is interesting to look at live Webcams in major cities around the world. Even Iran has them. Here is Tokyo right now:

At least the EUCs folks are staying put. Or is it the rain?

C35920F6-DA7F-4885-8F7B-4568C25F6322.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 11:04 PM, someguy152 said:

y'all need to stop using the word proof and prove, those words only exist axiomatically...you don't prove stuff in science, only collect evidence by testing ur null hypothesis against an alternative hypothesis time and time again, but any one day a black swan event can happen and you have to modify or totally get rid of ur prevalent theory.

science is about inquiring about the stuff that disproves the prevalent hypothesis, and after investigating its claims, if it's not up to snuff, then ur prevalent theory becomes stronger with more evidence, but NEVER proven.

So I really like the word "axiom" and it's adjective form "axiomatic", but I have never seen anyone use the adverb form.....

Does it make sense here? I'm confused about the way you used it. It's tantamount to saying "obviously" or "automatically" is it not?

Isn't axiomatically just a more severe adverb for something that is known to already be true by a large majority (self-evident, unquestionable)? Seems redundant /misplaced or maybe I'm missing something completely. Sorry don't mean to nit-pick, was just curious about it's usage here....maybe it's a chance for me to learn something.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 3

And here is a quite realistic impression of the awareness in Japan. I can confirm these images. They also reflect the reality here in the countryside and in smaller cities.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

but even just a construction dust mask or simple face wrap can prevent you from the habit of touching your mouth or nose

I agree. This can not be emphasized enough. It is an important point often overlooked. I recommend the people who hoarded all the toilet paper start wrapping it around their faces. 

E382C98C-A589-4617-AC78-C1238909C3E2.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tenofnine said:

I found it weird that the pandemic expert in the TEDx talk sort of jokingly advised not to wear masks if you aren't sick.

Yes. And I have heard the German top virologist, director of the Robert Koch Institute, say something similar on national TV. I believe they are afraid if the public buys off too many 😷 masks, their health staff is running out of supplies. While I consider this a legitimate reason, it is still misinformation regarding the public. Kind of sneaky. 
Here in Japan in previous years, masks were sold for public use and sold to the public in various shapes and fashionable designs, since we have to deal with yellow sand and PM2.5 peaks, Sugi tree 🌲 pollens and of course regular flu prevention. So most Japanese, young and old, have larger stocks at home by default. However few weeks after the outbreak in Wuhan, some people started with hoarding until shelves were empty. But as you can see in the video, most people wear masks, almost by default, and the ones who don’t, they probably  do that because they decided not to do so, rather than because of having none available. 

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Meulebeest said:

The other way around, ever been to America as a non US-citizen - even from a friendly (western) nation ?

I've been to different parts of the US, several times, and under different administrations, for work. And I have to say it largely depends on the customs officer you are dealing with. However under some administrations, it was noticably worse.:)

• Like 2

I'm unsure if this is some heavy embellishing or sensationalizing to get younger people to take this more seriously, but I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.

I have been really disappointed with how younger people (high school and college) have been taking this, and even more disappointed in how some 40+ people think this is all a overreaction and that it's a joke.

I'm taking it seriously as if I have it and am contagious, because let's face it that may be true and it's just so selfish if I act like nothing is different.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

have been really disappointed with how younger people (high school and college) have been taking this, and even more disappointed in how some 40+ people think this is all a overreaction and that it's a joke.

I've been thinking of getting this "Boomer Remover" hoodie.

https://www.logikalthreads.com/products/covid-19-boomer-remover-hoodie

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I've been thinking of getting this "Boomer Remover" hoodie.

https://www.logikalthreads.com/products/covid-19-boomer-remover-hoodie

I say pull the trigger, but what terrible poetic justice would it be if you caught corona and it was fatal.

I'm just kidding I really don't care that much about some harmless words on a hoodie, sticks and stones and all that. But if you caught corona and died from it maybe other Boomers would find it funny; unfortunately you wouldn't be around to enjoy the comedy of the situation.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1