Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

2 hours ago, tenofnine said:

I say pull the trigger, but what terrible poetic justice would it be if you caught corona and it was fatal.

I'm just kidding I really don't care that much about some harmless words on a hoodie, sticks and stones and all that. But if you caught corona and died from it maybe other Boomers would find it funny; unfortunately you wouldn't be around to enjoy the comedy of the situation.

Older people are taken aback by how gleefully vicious younger people are with Coronavirus killing old people. Such mirth is entirely justified in property tax-free California and rent-controlled NYC, and to a lesser extent in everyone who has looked at their payroll taxes. While everyone loves their grandparents, no such obligation is extended to stranger's grandparents.

• Like 1

Reddit seems to be locking every thread that tries to discuss what actual # of deaths are in China, and what that might mean for the US (population 327M).  Seems like both WHO and Reddit are in China's pocket.

Today we have a US doctor putting 2.2M dead as the upper bound, 200K lower bound: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dr-deborah-birx-predicts-200-000-deaths-if-we-do-n1171876

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I developed an Anti Face Touching Device. A video describing the device was just sent to the CDC Technology Center’s website for review.

A facemask (or even a scarf) also prevents you from touching your face. And it doesn't have to be custom molded. ;)
And it provides some protection against droplets, which the brace doesn't do at all.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I developed an Anti Face Touching Device. A video describing the device was just sent to the CDC Technology Center’s website for review. 

Good idea! Amazing the things you come up with when you're not in your garage and have no flame-throwers and lasers to play with! ;)

44 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

A facemask (or even a scarf) also prevents you from touching your face. And it doesn't have to be custom molded. ;)
And it provides some protection against droplets, which the brace doesn't do at all.

A scarf or mask isn't enough for kids, or people with neurological issues, which I'm guessing are the two main use cases Rehab has in mind. Although it could come in handy for healthy adults too...especially those who have decided to spend the lockdown emptying their wine cellar :P

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great proactive device. This may safe many people from getting infected and help training the awareness of what your hands subconsciously do. 

I use a little bamboo hand (see below) to scratch my nose or other parts of the face, when it is itching.

I also used old suspenders fixed to my belt and wrists to get to this awareness. Many ladies here in Japan wear sun visors integrated in “fashionable” hats  for the same purpose. You can make this easily yourself with a clear folder or clear plastic sheet and a head band.

i think a lot depends on awareness and making subconscious behavior conscious.

F556A549-371B-4BFA-BE86-B187747A413E.jpeg

2F4DD987-C55C-4D72-A0D3-A1F07375E6DA.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tenofnine said:

Found this mask, do you guys think covid-19 droplets can get through those nose holes? (asking for a friend) Seems like a great option.

Amazon.com: Leather Bondage Gimp Mask Hood, Black Full Face ...

Personally, I find the middle age version more fashionable 🤣 

7F07BD45-BED6-4300-A483-74348626586E.jpeg

6DF4501F-7A4A-4143-837F-7B91BB64629A.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

A scarf or mask isn't enough for kids, or people with neurological issues, which I'm guessing are the two main use cases Rehab has in mind. Although it could come in handy for healthy adults too...especially those who have decided to spend the lockdown emptying their wine cellar :P

The only way to keep kids safe is to keep them in a clean space, where they can touch their face without worries. Any kid older than 1 will take this hindrance off at first opportunity, and then they'll start chewing it.

2 hours ago, tenofnine said:

Found this mask, do you guys think covid-19 droplets can get through those nose holes? (asking for a friend) Seems like a great option.

That’s so funny! ! I needed that! :)  :cheers: My pediatric patients and parents might think different. :shock2:

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Great proactive device. This may safe many people from getting infected and help training the awareness of what your hands subconsciously do. 

Thanks! I am terrible at refraining from touching my face. When I’m applying or cutting off a plaster cast it never fails that something lands on my skull’s tissue. Hopefully I can reprogram my instinctual reflexes. 

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I use a little bamboo hand (see below) to scratch my nose or other parts of the face, when it is itching.

Please post a photo of you and that hand in action. :popcorn:

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m also planning on marketing a device that can be used to prevent touching one’s face, but in addition it’s also effective in enforcing social distancing by plain restricting as well as rewarding aspects:

image.thumb.jpeg.d7c5bf6f4ad1bd9fb6210875adec091a.jpeg

Although it is obviously for adults only...

Great one! :cheers: Again let’s see a photo. :whistling:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, travsformation said:

the middle of the trade war, it's hard to find reliable info that isn't serving an agenda. I try to contrast sources by reading American, European (Spanish, French, British, German) and Asian news sources (Chinese, Russian, South Korean, etc.). Same within Europe: British media often give a more accurate portrayal of the situation in Spain and vice-versa

The inability to count is infectious, unfortunately, and despite the vast amounts of educational funding governments spend.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great one! :cheers: Again let’s see a photo. :whistling:

I actually uploaded multiple user guide videos to YouTube already, but YT keeps removing them for some reason. Luckily they are still available as torrents, just search for the patent pending brand name... ”Furry Candcuffs”!

3 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Ironically those creepy masks with a long bird beaks...

Oh, so the bird beak mask was the creepy one? I see... :roflmao:

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:16 PM, tenofnine said:

Please do ignorantly go to church and other religious functions spread it among your fellow sheep, but stay far away from me. At the hands of something your mind can't comprehend, meet your maker as you believe (though from what I've seen in life it's probably the devil for how most religious hypocrites live and treat others). There are higher chances of winning the lottery than your particular religion being correct (and even less of a chance that Trump is right about anything that comes out of his mouth)

This megachurch held its gathering. Their pastor stated they had deployed over a dozen anti-bug machines that zapped viruses at over a 100 mph.

"We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place," Howard-Browne said. "If they sneeze it shoots it down like at 100 miles per hour and it will neutralize it in a split second."

https://www.fox13news.com/news/tampa-megachurch-pastor-arrested-after-leading-packed-services-despite-safer-at-home-orders.amp

TAMPA, Fla. - The pastor of a Tampa megachurch is facing charges after refusing to close its doors despite a "safer at home" order in effect in Hillsborough County, meant to stop the spread of COVID-19. The sheriff says up to 500 people were in attendance at Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne's Sunday services.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 8:28 AM, Toshio Uemura said:

And here is a quite realistic impression of the awareness in Japan. I can confirm these images. They also reflect the reality here in the countryside and in smaller cities.

Interesting. A completely different attitude compared to...everywhere else. Based on global medical predictions and recommendations, it seems like it's being seriously downplayed and people are fairly uninformed. Is the media making a big deal of COVID-19, or also downplaying it?

What are your thoughts on lack of testing? Do you think there are many more cases than reported/low figures because of lack of testing? And do you reckon people's outlook would change if more emphasis were put on the risks and severity?

Another thought I had was that the videos doesn't convey social responsibility / consideration for the elderly and/or others in high-risk groups among the young...but then again, it seems like a lot of institutions are cancelling events of their own initiative, and youth's attitude could stem from the same perception of low severity. My first thought (financial motivations tend to be high up on governments' priority lists) is that with the upcoming Olympics...it's in the government's best interest to keep stats low, and keep the population misinformed so it's not the population demanding more testing/more drastic measures, as well as the international community.

Quick clarification: I'm equally suspicious/mistrusting with ALL governments, no matter the country/continent 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

But again, when it comes to religion, anything can be excused and reasoned. We ought to be better than that.

Religion...and money. The article Langham posted doesn't mention whether the bug-zapping machines being used are for sale or not ;)

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:
7 hours ago, tenofnine said:

That’s so funny! ! I needed that! :)  :cheers: 

Me too! This thread was in dire need of a lighter touch touch of humor (lighter touch didn't seem like the most appropriate term in connection with the mask above) :efefa6edcf:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

While I tend to refrain from discussing politics and religion in this forum, this is exactly the aspect that is (literally) poisonous about religion in general. Facts, reality, physics and other sciences can be just ignored and replaced by some random extremely harmful imaginary. And if fallen sick it’s the hand of god and the basic sin, and nothing could’ve been done about it anyway.

It pains me to admit it, but the megachurch's members have exactly the appropriate response.

Let me explain; most megachurch members are the working poor although there's quite a few exceptions. Without work (or soon to be out of work), breaking quarantine is a form of civil protest. If you break quarantine, you'll probably suffer fever and a bad cold for a few weeks...but you aren't likely to die, and you'll be immune. Meanwhile, all members infected many others, enough so that a quarantine is useless.

And 500 people is huge. Consider this one man who attended several festivals infected over 40,000, and that's just one person!

Christians using a biological weapon for a cause, you don't say?!

If I was a person with an unstable job, needing to pay mortgage and groceries, and I wanted society to get back to normal, and I knew I had a .5% chance of dying, sure why not? Christianity teaches fortitude under adversity after all.

TLDR.

1. Get infected.

2. Spread infection.

3. Everyone's infected.

4. .5% die.

5. Healthy survivors.

6. Back to normal.

That's not a bad plan.

• Like 1