Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

7 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Then I'm happy ;)

Thanks I wasn't tying to be rude, I was just saying that as I live in a quite little village and actually go out very little I consider the occasional 5 min trip to get a few cans of beer is reasonable once in a while.

Clearly the semi lockdown is sensible but it may well go on for a long time and I think there is a better chance of people co-operating if the police use a bit of common sense.

In a sense this virus couldn't have happened at a worse time - in the UK we've had months of dark winter nights with torrential rain then as soon as the government want us to stay in the sun comes out.

• Like 1

@Gasmantle This is more about protecting the shops that have to close from feeling unfairly disadvantaged, and to prevent gaming the essential/non-essential system (anyone could start selling food and call the entire store essential otherwise). Can't force one guy who sells X to close and allow another guy to keep selling X.

There's also a small argument to be made that allowing non-essential stuff to be sold incentivizes trips that would otherwise might not be made.

But I completely agree that this essential vs. nonessential stuff gets nonsensical very soon. If this quarantining stuff doesn't end in April, serious changes will have to be made (opening all retail locations again, with some serious restrictions where necessary).

• Like 2

Quarantine won't work if wealthy carriers move around as they please. Without exception, all new infections in affected countries were from the wealthy class who flew around the world as they pleased. Even when borders were closed, already purchased tickets on private flights allowed wealthy carriers to continue infecting virgin areas. Notably, all new infections in small towns under lockdown come from wealthy carriers fleeing infected areas.

In comparison, you could almost draw an economic line between businesses allowed to stay open and those that aren't. Virtually all low paid workers can't work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Same here in the US. It makes no sense having clothing to try on and toys to touch that only provides the virus with a safe haven as it patiently waits for the next customer.  

I completely agree with that. And I think it's the right move by retailers: if we aren't allowed to go out to buy non-essentials, the fact people can't buy them will be one fewer excuse to go on a shopping run. But people will find excuses anyway...They'll probably start stockpiling beaked beans, one can/trip. Hopefully that's what they'll stockpile, so karma can do its job... :efee612b4b:

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Just taking a moment to lighten up the mood on this thread. 

:roflmao:

Much needed, nice one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Well my business is beginning to crawl to a standstill with possible layoffs

Aren't you the definition of "essential"? Or did traffic simply reduce massively? I'm surprised you're hit so hard. Well, nothing I can do but wish you all the best!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I hope you feel better buddy! Must be tough working in that outfit.;)

49735603281_8e0727833e_b.jpg

With missing filters this mask is probably worse than wearing a scarf. B)

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

"Boomer Remover" is almost entirely accurate, from NY.

DEATHS BY AGE

The state’s list of 3,565 coronavirus fatalities are as follows:

0 to 9 -- 0

10 to 19 -- 2

20 to 29 -- 22

30 to 39 -- 76

40 to 49 -- 158

50 to 59 -- 377

60 to 69 -- 663

70 to 79 -- 942

80 to 89 -- 918

90 and Older -- 405

Unknown -- 2

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Aren't you the definition of "essential"? Or did traffic simply reduce massively? I'm surprised you're hit so hard. Well, nothing I can do but wish you all the best!

We are but my referral sources are drying up.

Parents with prescriptions are understandably scared to take their kids out of the house and my referrals from pediatric therapy groups and orthopedists have stopped their patient clinics.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

We are but my referral sources are drying up.

Parents with prescriptions are understandably scared to take their kids out of the house and my referrals from pediatric therapy groups and orthopedists which have stopped their patient clinics.

I have the highest respect for someone running his own business like that. So I understand how this must be jarring, being disrupted like that with no fault of your own and no certainy how it will go on:( Well, again, good luck, and may this be over soon (in the US, I don't think so - not sure how well and fast Ohio did take precautions).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, travsformation said:

Talking about non-essentials, supermarkets have started blocking off areas selling products that are non-essential

Spain too? <_< What idiot decided that frying pans, plates, mugs and utensils are non-essential? :o

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

What idiot decided that frying pans, plates, mugs and utensils are non-essential?

Same thought, especially when the increase in domestic disputes will result in more broken plates. There will also be a lot of traumatized toddlers when previously ordinary accidents turn into "you little * that was our last bowl I wish you were never born!!!". Poor child, that's gonna be harsh.

More seriously, another example. A few days ago I heard someone in a radio interview ranting about people buying tools in DIY stores. How can one damn know if those purchases are essential or not ? What if the dude has a to repair some important home equipment ? Completely impractical to verify.

Now I live in a country house we restored with my girlfriend, so we have a lot of tools as well as lots of residual constructions materials in lots of construction fields (yet missing a 6-8 tons  caterpillar excavator. Hell that would be loads of fun but they're so damn expensive to buy and even a lot more to maintain). So we can repair, or at the worst workaround most possible failures at home without having to go shopping for missing stuff.

But for folks living in a small apartment, who have no reasons to own a workshop with half a DIY store in there, there can be unanticipated needs. Just have to fullfill them being as cautious as possible.

Groceries shopping, being recurrent, causes far more exposure risk. Yet we have to live with that...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

Spain too? <_< What idiot decided that frying pans, plates, mugs and utensils are non-essential? :o

Haven't you heard? None of those are needed anymore. People are apparently on a strict diet of toilet paper these days 😂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Well my business is beginning to crawl to a standstill with possible layoffs so I just submitted the necessary documentation to apply for the Employee Paycheck Protection Program.

I want to protect the people that have worked for me for decades. I’m sure it will be a slow process but hopefully it will provide some level of comfort to my faithful employees. 

I can only say one thing. I feel with you, that is not the same as I claim I know how it feel.

I am so fortunate to live in an area where government have posted economic aid packages trying to support and boost companies that got the carpet drawn away under their feet.

Starting this week I am going from a 5 day a week shift to a 4 day a week shift. 20% down in time, but only taking a 4% pay cut. Government will reimburse company for pay and some social tax fees. So company saves about 36% of my employe costs. This is temporarily until mid summer time. But could go on the rest of the year potentiality.

This is tier 1 of 20%. There is a year 2 and 3 too, 40% down in time at 6% pay cut and 60% down in time at 7.5% pay cut.

It is not as much we have less to do at work, but more we are not selling as much as before the outbreak. 

I consider myself lucky not to be more impacted yet by the virus directly. 

We are not on hard lockdown yet here in Sweden. But I have been working from home 3 weeks now. And it seems to go on for a longer time.

I am glad I don't have to make your decisions and balance between protecting the company and the future or your employees. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumly said:

Same thought, especially when the increase in domestic disputes will result in more broken plates. There will also be a lot of traumatized toddlers when previously ordinary accidents turn into "you little * that was our last bowl I wish you were never born!!!". Poor child, that's gonna be harsh.

Divorce rates spiked in China, and presumably will also do so in the USA. However, I would guess the US divorce rate will absolutely skyrocket because of the number of people laid off.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/490564-divorces-skyrocket-in-china-amid-lockdown

9 hours ago, Unventor said:

I can only say one thing. I feel with you, that is not the same as I claim I know how it feel.

I am so fortunate to live in an area where government have posted economic aid packages trying to support and boost companies that got the carpet drawn away under their feet.

Starting this week I am going from a 5 day a week shift to a 4 day a week shift. 20% down in time, but only taking a 4% pay cut. Government will reimburse company for pay and some social tax fees. So company saves about 36% of my employe costs. This is temporarily until mid summer time. But could go on the rest of the year potentiality.

This is tier 1 of 20%. There is a year 2 and 3 too, 40% down in time at 6% pay cut and 60% down in time at 7.5% pay cut.

It is not as much we have less to do at work, but more we are not selling as much as before the outbreak. 

I consider myself lucky not to be more impacted yet by the virus directly. 

We are not on hard lockdown yet here in Sweden. But I have been working from home 3 weeks now. And it seems to go on for a longer time.

I am glad I don't have to make your decisions and balance between protecting the company and the future or your employees. 

I'm more than lucky so far. My work allows me to work 100% from home, and so far business is not affected at all. So for the moment my biggest problem is missing my 5K screen at work, having to do with the laptop screen and a single 1080p external screen... I think I can live with that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I'm more than lucky so far. My work allows me to work 100% from home, and so far business is not affected at all. So for the moment my biggest problem is missing my 5K screen at work, having to do with the laptop screen and a single 1080p external screen... I think I can live with that.

I don't think we are going to do this very long, as our customer queue in our team is growing already now. And with Easter coming it will only get bigger. 

Edited by Unventor
Tried to explain more.
  • Like 1