Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

i just received my application # from the SBA for 
my company’s filing of the COVID -19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan program. Currently we have lost $58K in revenue over the past 30 days. 

49720333646_c559a38e22_b.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Three trains of thought lead from here: conspiracy, good fortune and efficacy.

The fourth train is Japan's low sugar consumption (historically extremely low). The Coronavirus's effects are more severe the higher the blood sugar is. Older people usually have high blood sugar...except in cultures that don't use much sugar. Italians love sugar but Japanese do not. Diabetics are severely affected.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The fourth train is Japan's low sugar consumption (historically extremely low). The Coronavirus's effects are more severe the higher the blood sugar is. Older people usually have high blood sugar...except in cultures that don't use much sugar. Italians love sugar but Japanese do not. Diabetics are severely affected.

Interesting but obviously not fact based: we love sweets and we eat a lot of white rice 🍚 Just look at the data.
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/SH.STA.DIAB.ZS/rankings

A0D8E9C0-5AAD-4245-B200-4A178B87EA53.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

i just received my application # from the SBA for 
my company’s filing of the COVID -19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan program. Currently we have lost $58K in revenue over the past 30 days. 

Yikes....what kind of aid/loan/conditions are available?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Interesting but obviously not fact based: we love sweets and we eat a lot of white rice 🍚 Just look at the data.

Is there a correlation between sugar consumption, obesity, and diabetes? 

This might not be important because it doesn't talk about severity of the disease.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claryestes/2020/03/20/what-the-relationship-between-blood-type-and-coronavirus-susceptibility-means-for-future-treatments/#95b1671677c8

But why would someone’s blood type make them more susceptible to COVID-19? The answer, Petri explains, has to do with how proteins on the surface of Coronaviruses bind to the different sugars on the surface cells, which go hand in hand with a person’s blood type. “We know some of the Coronaviruses that infect cattle have proteins on their surface that bind to sugars and sugars are what dictate blood group antigens*. If you are blood group A, you have an extra sugar on the surface of your cells called anacitosal glucosamine, which you don't have if you are blood group O.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Three trains of thought lead from here: conspiracy, good fortune and efficacy.

There is also a fourth possibility: The virus evolved into a less deadly strain that is not much worse than a flu (especially when you consider asymptomatics).
I suspect that's what may be happening in all countries without many deaths, including Japan.

The amount of anecdotes of people having "a few days of high fever + a dry cough" in the last three months is staggering. Which may mean that we're way closer to a herd immunity than we initially thought and Boris Johnson was right...

Or it may be that current efforts (closed schools and restaurants + facemasks) are more than enough to let it slowly burn in a population, but not overwhelm the healthcare system...

Anyway, right now I feel like I've overreacted. ;) Which is a good thing, it's definitely better to have toiler paper than not to have it.

###########################

I hope Japan gets spared... I really want to see Eiichiro Oda, Yoshihiro Togashi and Akihito Tsukushi finish their masterpieces.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Yea I agree @travsformationit's ridiculous when guys in black dresses and pointy hats can do as they want just because they believe in some invisible magical man in the sky.

A lot of these people can dissuade very ill people from serious medical help by telling the sick a god will protect them.

In a lot of cases these priests etc don't even believe in evolution and try to promote that message - how on earth do we create vaccines etc without a clear understanding of evolution and science in general

Couldn't agree more!

I've never understood why homeopathy is so viciously attacked these days. I don't see the benefit, but I don't see any harm in placebos either (unless people are rejecting real treatments that they actually and taking homeopathic medication instead). Or in other words, it's the societal lack of coherence that bugs me...I'll continue to mock-defend homeopathy and snake-oils until society starts attacking charlatanry and magical beliefs (commonly referred to as religion) with the same determination...:D

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

I hope Japan gets spared...

I hope so too. But I am afraid we won’t. It just progresses slower.

I did the calculations below on March 24th. And they predict 2300 official cases by April 4th if no countermeasures like social distancing would be enforced  And it looks like we are getting there, So let’s hope you are right. Hope dies last. I hope this hope will drive our actions.

C4AFDA6C-B8E9-4C5C-A933-DBCD90BB97AA.jpeg

54922D18-46ED-448D-8D8A-6393C352AF1D.jpeg

Edited by Toshio Uemura

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

Anyway, right now I feel like I've overreacted. ;) Which is a good thing, it's definitely better to have toiler paper than

... others having it as well? :P

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

... others having it as well? :P

It's not a problem of "there isn't enough for everybody", it's a problem of "everybody is buying at once". And since I bought mine almost 2 months ago, my additional demand was fixed way before the panic hit the streets. B)

Also, the panic and shortages lasted only for 3 days in Poland. Right now the queues in shops are way shorter than normal, I guess most people severely decreased the frequency of their grocery escapades. There is no toilet paper shortage. ;) When I go to my local Biedronka, the first isle is a few pallets stacked with toilet paper.

8 hours ago, travsformation said:

Yikes....what kind of aid/loan/conditions are available?

I’m still researching that subject. I’ve never been in this position before.

The first task was to complete the filing process along with providing the company’s financials. Now I just wait in line for an email response.

My company is not in dire straits by no means but I’m just trying to be prudent. The coming month is going to be a bit disconcerting. 

• Like 1

My new UV Sterilizer arrived today (I decided my COVID-19  prop was better suited on the oven’s door.) I do wish there was an inexpensive lab test to evaluate the efficacy of this device being my PPE will be sanitized inside the compartment.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’m still researching that subject. I’ve never been in this position before.

The first task was to complete the filing process along with providing the company’s financials. Now I just wait in line for an email response.

My company is not in dire straits by no means but I’m just trying to be prudent. The coming month is going to be a bit disconcerting. 

Glad to hear you aren't struggling!

Yeah, it's complex here too...depends on whether you're a freelancer, working for someone else, whether you were legally obliged to close, on the % of income lost...labor and financial advisors have more work than they can handle...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Glad to hear you aren't struggling!

Yeah, it's complex here too...depends on whether you're a freelancer, working for someone else, whether you were legally obliged to close, on the % of income lost...labor and financial advisors have more work than they can handle...

Thanks! I hope your surviving! Arm feeling OK? If I can ask... what is your occupation? I know your GF is a therapist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

My new UV Sterilizer arrived today (I decided my COVID-19  prop was better suited on the oven’s door.) I do wish there was an inexpensive lab test to evaluate the efficacy of this device being my PPE will be sanitized inside the compartment.

I build a simple device like this myself for the same purpose, masks and smart phones.

C8C1DF57-EF70-465B-8AE1-01737B3E8B77.jpeg

22 hours ago, travsformation said:

I'm a freelance translator

That explains your excellent communication skills! I have used such services for patients. 

Now thing have calmed down and I have a some down-time, but I expect them to pick up again next week, in anticipation of the theoretical end of the lockdown 

I have a feeling your down time will be rapidly diminishing.

How's patient turnout at your clinic? Have numbers dropped?

Patients are down by about 25% but they have all rescheduled for May. The non- elective procedures such as fracture bracing, post op clubfoot, cranial banding and scoliosis bracing remains high at my practice

The clinic where my girlfriend works is temporarily closed; even though they weren't legally obliged to do so (which is ridiculous considering that rehab is virtually impossible without close-proximity, physical contact), as all patients cancelled their appointments anyway

Yes all of the pediatric therapy facilities in my area are closed as well. One parent told me today that her child would be receiving virtual therapy via skype. I suppose speech therapy could be conducted in that fashion but physical/ occupational therapy... no way. 

Stay healthy my friend! 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 10:34 PM, travsformation said:

Can't wait to hit the trails again! It's ridiculous I can't do so at the moment...as a solitary ride in nature would be better / more effective than total self-quarantine indoors...but the law is the law, and if they allowed people out to exercise, the streets would be packed...so we'll just have to wait it out.

I was surprised to see govnerners from the South (where I live) to now or soon enforce stay at home quarantines as strict as California, because those infected in the South now have apparently the grimmest outcomes. High blood pressure and sedentary lifestyles is a good indicator of Coronavirus mortality. I would have guessed the isolated suburban automobile living would have protected the South a lot, but hypertension trumps lifestyle. So it goes 

In reference to Spain's government not doing a good job...how should it have handled the outbreak? It seems to me locking people indoors and fining outdoor people is pretty strong.

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

In reference to Spain's government not doing a good job...how should it have handled the outbreak? It seems to me locking people indoors and fining outdoor people is pretty strong.

There literally was a football match (in Italy) between Spain and Italy (if I remember correctly) that is now confirmed to have been a defining, massive virus spreader, and that everyone screamed about not holding, but they did it anyways.

I'm sure there were a ton of similar events. The question is not how good the current lockdown is, but what happened before the lockdown. Were decisions based on public health, or any fucking thing else, that matters.

Not at all limited to Spain. Everyone in Europe had (and has!) various degrees of "but muh economy" and "but muh public events" and "but there aren't any cases here right now". Thanks to these dumbasses, this will take forever to get back to a semblance of normal.

• Like 1