"Learning" section in the forum

"Getting started" might be a good option if we ever want to have a forum dedicated to making this site friendlier to (prospective) new members (or just for new riders). Whether or not such a forum is good is another question (see @Espen R above), but I just thought of this name and wanted to throw it into the ring.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

"Getting started" might be a good option if we ever want to have a forum dedicated to making this site friendlier to (prospective) new members (or just for new riders). Whether or not such a forum is good is another question (see @Espen R above), but I just thought of this name and wanted to throw it into the ring.

I like that idea, it feels nicer, more friendly and not like we are herding newbs with idiot questions away from the rest of us, and if it contains a FAQ and a couple instructive videos at the top, it would be even more instructive. We mustn’t forget that we found the information and saw all the videos we needed to get going when we were newbs, and the new riders coming through probably have about the same average intelligence as we do:)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Espen R said:

I like that idea, it feels nicer, more friendly and not like we are herding newbs with idiot questions away from the rest of us, and if it contains a FAQ and a couple instructive videos at the top, it would be even more instructive. We mustn’t forget that we found the information and saw all the videos we needed to get going when we were newbs, and the new riders coming through probably have about the same average intelligence as we do:)

Well I did so back in the days (like 2 years ago} we had a lot less things to read though. Now some of the threads are expanding faster and faster. 

What I really like is that people are debating this, as it shows me that is it a helpful and alike community. I login a few times a day to check 3 weeks back I had like 5 post to check, the past few days I have 25-30 posts. So right now I have not had time to read all nor to reply to that I like. But hopefully next week my IRL will be calming down so I am back on thread. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Getting started" might be a good option if we ever want to have a forum dedicated to making this site friendlier to (prospective) new members (or just for new riders). Whether or not such a forum is good is another question (see @Espen R above), but I just thought of this name and wanted to throw it into the ring.

6 hours ago, Espen R said:

I think that's a good idea too!

The question is: how to structure it?

a) A "riding skills" forum and a separate "Getting started" forum?

b) A "riding skills" forum with a separate "getting started" sub-forum? And then...different sub-forums for different levels? Or "getting started" and "everything else"/"general riding skills"

c) A "riding skills forum and a "getting started" thread?

And how to we want to organize topics/threads?  Do we create a few initial threads for people to stick to (basic riding skills, how to...., etc.), with the idea of conversations being "contained" within said threads (easier to find essentials, but risking LONG threads such as "Understanding the dynamics"), or create a few initial, useful threads/topics and encourage people to start their own threads with specific questions?

We could also include somewhat of an informal "how-to" guide in the "getting started" section, suggesting that new users check this or that thread for initial information, and start new threads (or ask in existing ones, depending on which approach we take) for specific doubts they haven't found an answer to.

Just throwing around ideas...better get back to work!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, travsformation said:

I think that's a good idea too!

The question is: how to structure it?

a) A "riding skills" forum and a separate "Getting started" forum?

b) A "riding skills" forum with a separate "getting started" sub-forum? And then...different sub-forums for different levels? Or "getting started" and "everything else"/"general riding skills"

c) A "riding skills forum and a "getting started" thread?

And how to we want to organize topics/threads?  Do we create a few initial threads for people to stick to (basic riding skills, how to...., etc.), with the idea of conversations being "contained" within said threads (easier to find essentials, but risking LONG threads such as "Understanding the dynamics"), or create a few initial, useful threads/topics and encourage people to start their own threads with specific questions?

We could also include somewhat of an informal "how-to" guide in the "getting started" section, suggesting that new users check this or that thread for initial information, and start new threads (or ask in existing ones, depending on which approach we take) for specific doubts they haven't found an answer to.

Just throwing around ideas...better get back to work!

I vote for a) with FAQ's and videos for "how to ride an EUC", "basic safety gear, and why it is important" and perhaps "what type of wheel fits my needs" could also be relevant. At the end of each FAQ there could be a note saying: feel free to ask questions in the forums you think is relevant for your question, so that it is not an active thread. The last part because, if I'm really honest with myself, I would probably not hang out to answer questions in the "Getting started" forum very often, but I'll gladly answer questions in the forums I frequently visit.

I don't think we need to overcomplicate things. Newbs who come to this site are only newbs when it comes to EUC's, not the internet, the concept of forums or how to search for relevant information, therefore I'm more for a "Getting started" forum with video guides and FAQ's, and then guiding them ask questions in the forums they feel it is relevant to them, than making this into separate forum community for new riders.

Another reason for not making this into an active separate forum is to have better quality control of the answers given. If a wrong or misguided answer is given in an active thread, it wont take long before it is corrected by others, but if it happens in a forum where mostly newbs and half-newbs are hanging out, it could create a lot of misunderstandings.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, travsformation said:

I think this discussion needs more input from more people, so I'm going to tag an assorted array of veteran to "settled in" to new users: @Marty Backe @Seba @Unventor @The Fat Unicyclist @RockyTop @PogArt Artur @MR BRAD @Gasmantle @Lefteris @buell47 @Mike Sacristan @Biped Phil @rainystateguy  @Espen R @Daley1 :)

Absolutely the highlights of my wheel saga thus far:

1. Moving more than three feet (ok, hyperbole, one foot!) without falling off

2. Free mounting

3. Being tagged amongst the likes of the crew above!

I think a “skills” section with some division by level of talent required (maybe talent isn’t the right word?) to perform the skill.... understanding that just about everyone has relative capabilities but that we can probably agree on certain constructs. A beginner, intermediate and advanced skills breakdown would probably be apropos for most situations and subsets within each would provide further refinement. It has been immensely helpful to cast queries out to the masses and receive input from all you wheel gods. One of the greater epiphanies for me, for instance was a response from either @RockyTop or @Mono (I don’t remember which as I’ve received great advice from both - and many others!) wherein it’s was suggested that my foot position may be too rearward. My free mounting thereafter became (I was gonna say graceful, but that is, even now, probably still optimistic... so, it became, um much better!). Anyway, point is, I was lucky to have the sage responses from others and this forum will probably always provide such an encouraging environment (one thing that really stands out amongst this group and EUC riders In general seems to be a passion to promote and act as great ambassadors for this sport!)... but, having a repository for information to review and discover would (IMHO) make this site and our ambassadorship that much better. 

I agree with options already discussed and well expressed by @meepmeepmayer, @Daley1 @travsformation and @Unventoras far as a breakdown. @Gasmantle makes some great points too! And I like being in @RockyTop’s subgroup (self assigned) of “everything else”!

I was tempted to throw in a hoverwheel (god, I almost can’t type that!) comment but figured that it might be too soon and speak to @travsformation’s derailment nature :)

• Like 3

@ZenRyder about you comments about a restructure of video thread. Please read some pist above here. We have heard the wish, but like input on how to go about this.

Please share your input too.