A cyclist punched me this morning.

paulz

2 minutes ago, paulz said:

Thanks @greentung, a camera is a great idea.  A rear-mounted camera might have given some insight into whether or not I actually did something to provoke this guy......

In the alternative it would be good to send to the police.

I sometime use an Insta360 camera mounted on the top of my helmet. It captures everything around. It's hard not to miss it. People tend to be on better behavior when they see the 360 camera.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, paulz said:

My primary goal is returning safely to my family.  A potential confrontation failed a cost-benefit analysis.  I did catching up with him to ask him what he was doing, but I could not do so safely.  He ran a yellow light immediately after passing me.  

I like the camera idea;  would the insta360 stand up to harsh cold, water and abuse?  If not, are there light & small cameras that will?  Is there anything cheaper than the insta360?  I don't care about any video quality past what is necessary for capturing incidents like this. 

The insta360 have withstood rain. They sell underwater housing for it as well. I think any camera is better than none. You can get good deals on previous years action cameras and without expensive features like stabilizations. The key is getting a camera with 1/4 screw mount so you can use it on any GoPro style mounts (helmet, straps, chest, wheel handles, etc). Unless you actually get a GoPro then the mount is built into the frame.

You'll want simple instant on and off function. I press one button on my GoPro to start recording when I leave the house and press the same button to stop when I get to my office building. My goal is just to document my ride. 

If you want to discuss more about specific cameras we should start a new topic.  

I've had one motorist scream at me to get a f-ing skateboard while on my e-scooter, and one crazy lady scream at me while squeezing through on the right to turn right with my motorcycle.  Some people are just crazy.  Watch out!!!  I had a high speed bicyclist split between me (jogging) and a lady with a baby stroller, and the cyclist clipped me with his elbow, I'm sure he didn't mean to do that, just too aggressive riding, you know how it goes.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

:o

With some of the guys I ride with, this would not have gone done well for the cyclist. We ride wheels that can easily outpace a bicyclist. It would be very easy to catch up to him.

Fortunately I've never experienced that level of aggressiveness and hope I never will.

Hay Man!!! What happened!?? Sorry !!!  You ran into me and almost knocked me over. I was just grabbing at anything I could to keep upright. I didn’t mean to rip you off your bike and slam you to the ground at 20 MPH. :shock2: :whistling:    

I have been running dogs at 20 MPH for the last 6 months. One at a time for 3 miles. The younger dog likes 20MPH the older about 14MPH. It has increased my ability to deal with sudden changes in force. 

I almost think I would do better on an EUC in a battle of pushing. You can use both hands and all your body weight rather than just the top half while peddling and holding the handle bars. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I suppose you have to look at it from their perspective. They have a bicycle lane to protect them from motorised traffic then find a motorised unicycle whizzing along at 20-30mph in what they see as their protected lane. There's no point being aggressive back, it just leads to escalation which rarely leads to a good result.

True....... But???  State law says that the bike lane is my lane too. If unchecked this guy might hurt someone.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I suppose you have to look at it from their perspective. They have a bicycle lane to protect them from motorised traffic then find a motorised unicycle whizzing along at 20-30mph in what they see as their protected lane. There's no point being aggressive back, it just leads to escalation which rarely leads to a good result.

In California EUC's are allowed anyway a bicycle is unless specifically stated otherwise. It's probably different in London.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

In California EUC's are allowed anyway a bicycle is unless specifically stated otherwise. It's probably different in London.

It's sad in London because they've made EUC's illegal over here but, even in California, I think EUC's are only legal up to 1000W which actually makes the OP's V10F illegal. But this isn't about what's strictly legal, it's about how bicyclists perceive EUC riders. I think, as a group, we are very dependant on bicyclists accepting us in their lanes which means we have to be particularly courteous to them. If they start to complain about motorised EUC's using their protected cycle lanes then it's obvious what will happen. You'll soon end up not being allowed to ride on roads, sidewalks or bicycle lanes - which is effectively how it is in the UK. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Sounds like he thought you were in the way. Were you carving? 20mph is pretty fast but not that fast that a cyclist can't easily pass you. Were you taking up the whole path? Keeping to your side? I am course not justifying his behaviour but if we are looking at what we can change the only thing we can change is ourselves.

You did the right thing. You had already taken the loss and the loss cannot be removed. Best to leave it at that.

Short of starting careers as vigilantes there is nothing we can do but ride defensively and be aware of our whereabouts as well as those around us. This includes looking behind us now and then, perhaps using a mirror, being generous to others with our superior vehicles, etc.

Sorry to hear of this incident. I hope it does not haunt you.

Wise words :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

If It happened to me again and I had on gear I might just jump on his back and ride him to the ground at 20 MPH. I am not too old yet. 

and the not so wise words

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

and the not so wise words

If he intentionally tries to knock me over I am taking him with me. As I have said too many times, I am good at crashing. He just entered my world with his bad judgment. 

In a larger scene, In a much bigger picture of the world, YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT UP WITH. So if you are OK with being a pansy don’t complain about it. 

• Like 2