KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

17 hours ago, magicrobots said:

One thing I love about the 16x is the big fat tire for offroad and poor road surface dampening (Yay New England). 

Yay America! Don't you mean?

Having recently visited Germany and driven on the Autobahns (would be great EUC surfaces), the terrible state of roads here in the US was brought in to even sharper focus.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

Yay America! Don't you mean?

Having recently visited Germany and driven on the Autobahns (would be great EUC surfaces), the terrible state of roads here in the US was brought in to even sharper focus.

Every state is different. Actually Maine ( that’s in New England)  has pretty decent roads. I grew up there and I was just there this past weekend. Florida has fine roads.   Boston is a mess. But then it has always been a mess.  It’s been in a perpetual state of construction through every square inch of it for the last 80 years.  San Francisco ..........yeah..........  lol

• Like 2

Thanks @eddiemoy ! Definitely thinking about switching out the tire. In onewheeling, the tire profile makes such a huge difference in riding feel, I can imagine it's the same for EUC.

How do you get to the screws to undo for the body shell? Are they behind the padding on the sides?

14 minutes ago, magicrobots said:

Thanks @eddiemoy ! Definitely thinking about switching out the tire. In onewheeling, the tire profile makes such a huge difference in riding feel, I can imagine it's the same for EUC.

How do you get to the screws to undo for the body shell? Are they behind the padding on the sides?

This might help.

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/06/24/kingsong-ks-16x-disassembling/?fbclid=IwAR3HABqnm4HhJNQDKxrvC0Ljc8HHZ5wqe0aRd7OdpfaQxSuQ3BfiHAHTOyY

• Like 1

@eddiemoy I think he ment post a picture of how well the tyre fits in the housing after the change. (might need to add what tyre pressure too)

At least this is what is intresti g too see. 

I had some scraping on my Inmotion V8 so my dealer decided to launch an "updated" version with 16x1.95" tyre instead of standard 16x2.125". When I tested the with a winter/off-road tyre the higher tread pattern scraped the wheel too if I raised the pressure. 

So back to why this is interesting for KS16X... So I suspect that if you have a thick rubber layer on the tyre it might last longer, at the expense of having more centrifugal gyro feel due increase in tyre mass and scraping because off too little clearing for the motor/tyre in its possition in the housing. 

Also the tyre might have different sternnes/softness in the rubber used. This can cause the rubber to feel feel more of a fight too. 

Still waiting for my wheel (1-2weeks) more 

@eddiemoy The CST C-1488 tire was also tested by KS. Fits so far too, but is wider as I have heard than the other two brands ( CYT and Dalishen) and scratches slightly if bend in sharp curves.

Maybe you can test it with low air pressure, but also with higher air pressure, because you prefer very low pressure. 

Here are some pictures of the CST tire.  I don’t think it removes the gyro effect as much as the CYT tire that was in pre-production.

Im going to try to get my hands on the CYT tire.  I loved that tire.  Made the 16X ride just like the other wheels I had. No adjustment in riding style. 

79BE28DE-CD06-4195-9912-61EDF415BE2D.thumb.jpeg.cfc76e41d10362a676e6e4529a09ef91.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I don’t think it removes the gyro effect as much as the CYT tire

Is it just a little better then the stock tire or much better?

Did you make a Video of the tire change? If not it would be really cool if you can make a step by step description what to do maybe with some pictures.

My cst tire came today and i would like to change it as well.

Cheers mate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Here are some pictures of the CST tire.  I don’t think it removes the gyro effect as much as the CYT tire that was in pre-production.

Im going to try to get my hands on the CYT tire.  I loved that tire.  Made the 16X ride just like the other wheels I had. No adjustment in riding style. 

79BE28DE-CD06-4195-9912-61EDF415BE2D.thumb.jpeg.cfc76e41d10362a676e6e4529a09ef91.jpeg

Don't know about gyro feel and all that, but it seems I'd better stick to the stock tire for off-roading. The profile seems a lot more suited for it. This one is a "slick" in the middle.

• Like 2

If this was to scrape the body, I would imagine it would be at case top either at entry/exit point or inside art cooling plate. 

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Don't know about gyro feel and all that, but it seems I'd better stick to the stock tire for off-roading. The profile seems a lot more suited for it. This one is a "slick" in the middle.

The contact patch reaches those edge knobs as soon as you step on the wheel. And when offroading, the tire sinks in dirt, meaning you have almost the whole width of the tire touching ground most times.

The only situation where the smooth center ridge might be a bad thing is when you are hopping over wet diagonal roots, as you have much less weight on the wheel. It is possible that it might slip for a split second.

The CST C-1488 has quite a spacious pattern, meaning that it will dig in very well in most offroad situations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Iiinteresting!  Does this look like the CYT in question?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/inches-commuting-hybrid-Bicycle-mountain/dp/B01HGB9X3A

5 hours ago, magicrobots said:

Iiinteresting!  Does this look like the CYT in question?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/inches-commuting-hybrid-Bicycle-mountain/dp/B01HGB9X3A

description says 16, but pictures say 14.  it says unavailable.  i've seen this when i was looking for the tire.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

Just so everyone knows, the ecodrift tutorial says there are 8 screws to take off the shell.  There are 10 screws. I missed the 2 at the top and pulled too hard when I shouldn't have and cracked my shell. I tried super-gluing and it looks like crap now. All to see if I could replace the magnet because my pedal kept flopping down. Pretty pissed. I suspect I'll be waiting awhile until new shells arrive.

That truly sucks! Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

Just so everyone knows, the ecodrift tutorial says there are 8 screws to take off the shell.  There are 10 screws. I missed the 2 at the top and pulled too hard when I shouldn't have and cracked my shell. I tried super-gluing and it looks like crap now. All to see if I could replace the magnet because my pedal kept flopping down. Pretty pissed. I suspect I'll be waiting awhile until new shells arrive.

Crap. Sorry man. 

• Like 1