KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

On 9/13/2019 at 6:58 PM, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

In your photos it looks as if the CYT H-5167 has an even narrower profile than the other two.

You can't guess at the profile until it is mounted and aired up. Tyres are generally packed and shipped flatter from storing on top of one another.

2 hours ago, Uras said:

who knows what for a fact, these days.

Just a heads up: You replied to posts that are almost 4 years old. Their pointers and arguments may not be all that relevant anymore.

• Like 1

phew, just finished reading through all of this. I'm also looking for an all rounder for my 16x. I will try for the h666 if I can find it. However, I'd like to throw in another possibility - I would buy it but can't here in australia. It's the Heidenau K38. It is based on an older tread pattern to be period correct for scooters of that era. It comes in a 12 x 3.

Update: just ordered a h666 and a heavier tube (to combat thorns) from ebuy7. Au $51 inclusive of delivery! I hope it gets here :). Decided to stick with mrelwood's sage advice of sticking with a known good euc tire.

image.thumb.png.55cf2dbd112f91f8c14932004b481cb1.png

Edited by Uras
  • Upvote 1

trying to cancel ebuy7 order (above). They came back with an outrageous delivery cost - 3x original total cost. There is no way to cancel it on their site - it's a scam.

8 hours ago, Uras said:

It comes in a 12 x 3.

Word of warning, a 3.0-12 motorcycle tire is a good bit bigger (wider & taller) than a 16 x 3 bicycle tire. My guess is that it wouldn’t fit the 16X.

Motorcycle tire width is not the maximum width of the tire like it is width bicycle tires, but the width of the tire carcass only. The tread pattern is on top of that.

Another warning, be careful about the tire size designations. If the diameter is written first followed by an “x” (16x3), it’s a bicycle tire. Motorcycle tires are written width first and with a dash (3.0-12). Hence, a 12x3 would be a bicycle tire that definitely won’t fit a 16X! Btw, anyone interested in an unused 14x3 bicycle tire? :roflmao:

17 minutes ago, Uras said:

trying to cancel ebuy7 order (above). They came back with an outrageous delivery cost - 3x original total cost. There is no way to cancel it on their site - it's a scam.

They are a Taobao agent. It’s not necessarily a scam, just that buying and shipping an individual tire from China is not nearly as cheap as Aliexpress makes us think. I have bought a tire or a few with a Taobao agent, since the total cost was still reasonable. And yes, shipping did cost much more than the tire itself.

logical answers that are possible, but perhaps not in this instance. 

The measurement can be seen on the side of the tire for the 16 x 3 (76 x 305) - use their magnify image: https://www.ebuy7.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=Q0xobJ0FQt2oxqASyedSatQ-M6naKrF4Q7xQ9wpsZw

They do some sort of pre confirmed payment with paypal and the freight already calculated. This is because the payment cannot be cancelled via paypal - you have to wait for them (ebuy7) to take the payment before you can do anything about it. It's a loophole. There is no apparent way on their site to cancel the order once you've made it, even though they change the freight cost after the order, and the freight cost is rediculous. Original freight cost was Au$9.81. After the order was made they requested another payment of Au $92.31 that brings the freight cost to $102.15. 

I think that's called bait and switch in the sales industry.

Frieght via ali express is more than the tire; for me in Au from various ali express stores all around $30 freight for a total cost of around $50, surprise surprise; slightly cheaper than the original quoted inclusive price from ebuy7.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005543750423.html

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Have you asked them if you could cancel the order?

Yes. After more research it looks as though I have to approve the updated change in deal before paypal will pay anything. It's just made to look as though I've already paid and now have to pay extra. Incidentally I can get the 4188 from an euc store here (they add their markup and 10% gst) for $80 - ebuy7's total is $144.

Dear xxxxxxxxxx,

Your order #xxxxxxx is waiting for additional payment for shipping.

You are requested to complete the payment for the parcel delivery The overweight payment required is A$92.31. The payment can be made by clicking on the order details in your account. Please complete the overweight shipping payment as soon as possible so that we can post your parcel today, the method of calculating the shipping cost can be found on the site shipping cost calculator.

Order Total Freight: A$102.15Order Freight Paid: A$9.84Extra Payment: A$92.31

Please DO NOT reply to this email, click on the link below to view order details:
https://www.ebuy7.com/index.php?route=account/order/info&order_id=xxxxxxxx

Edited by Uras

3 hours ago, Uras said:

Yes.

That doesn’t sound right. They can’t realistically expect for you to pay double all of a sudden. The agents I used were ok with me canceling an order after I heard the shipping costs.

And PayPal requiring for you to pay an extra amount before requesting a refund doesn’t sound right either.

Edited by mrelwood

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received a cst 1488 from aliexpress. It also came with an inner tube, a valve tool, and a single bicycle tire lever :wacko:

It is a motorcycle tire with a typically stiff carcass. It also looks like it was recently manufactured, although I'm guessing at the code: 1812014123. I assume that 23 is the year. It weighs 1.22kg on our kitchen scales.

It was Au$58.40 delivered to Australia from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003498743958.html

The tire itself is labelled as 16 x 3 and it doesn't have the metric equivalent (76x305) on the side like my current J-6188.

I'm not particularly excited by the tire, but we really don't have much available in Australia. Postage from EU (germany, UK etc) is expensive. Another tire I found and like the look of is the kenda k315 - it looks as though it has the better rubber too. I'm happy to have the 1488 though - it seems I'm in the ballpark of reasonable tires

Kenda k315

image.thumb.jpeg.262b343db0b340d5606c9583cc74bbc3.jpeg

Edited by Uras

1 hour ago, Uras said:

Another tire I found and like the look of is the kenda k315

1 hour ago, Uras said:

Kenda k315

image.thumb.jpeg.262b343db0b340d5606c9583cc74bbc3.jpeg

Unsymmetrical tires haven’t seemed like an especially good idea on an EUC that is so sensitive to the sideways balance. Not many, but some S18 riders have complained that the tire it comes installed with tries to turn slightly all the time, despite the very shallow tread pattern. My guess is that the K315 above would be much worse.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Unsymmetrical tires haven’t seemed like an especially good idea on an EUC that is so sensitive to the sideways balance. Not many, but some S18 riders have complained that the tire it comes installed with tries to turn slightly all the time, despite the very shallow tread pattern. My guess is that the K315 above would be much worse.

hah, I didn't see that. I thought it could be squirmy because of the tallish knobs.

• Upvote 1