KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

5 minutes ago, null said:

Speaking of screws, consider torx, they have the benefits of hex while taking more torque.

Very true, IF they are of any quality. Hangers and load bearing need be replaced with quality Torx where applicable. I went with standard hex for body screws, as its a more common tool people have and I've had issue with cheap shit torx screws and tools in the past. I can't imagine most of the small screws should be tightened much. I err on the side of looser and anit-seize. Nothing has fallen off yet. Pushing the plastic and not relying on the screw to pull parts together is key. Warming the wheel prior to also helps. Loctite gives me nightmares, either way. :wacko:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Taking torque being interchangeable with stripping less.

As for quality: with the same material quality torx will be stronger than hex due to the angle the tool pushes on.

Availability is an argument for in favor of hex yes.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, null said:

Taking torque being interchangeable with stripping less.

As for quality: with the same material quality torx will be stronger than hex due to the angle the tool pushes on.

Availability is an argument for hex yes.

I agree entirely. The little niggle is when you get cheap as shit smaller torx screws. The lack of manufacturing tolerances, makes for total shit show in head precision on torx vs hex. Same with torx bits. It must be much harder to make torx. Hell, for body screws, I'd go with whichever ones you think LOOKS cooler. Buy a bottle of nail pollish and custom color the dumb things too :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I went online and ordered a stainless hex screw kit for my Sherman. These wheels all use common metric screws, but there is a few lengths and sizes. You'd have to be more specific. Fwiw, I'd get a large kit and some antisieze compound and just start swapping(just say NO to loc-tite). They look nice and even cheap hex seem to work better than phillips. You cant really buy anything shittier than stock, so no worries. Just pay attention to the recess and head type. Fwiw, there is validity in accellerated corrossion when mixing metals. Wheels have brass type inserts and I dont know (nor care to investigate) what specific coatings are acceptable or not. I just use miniscule amounts of silver anti-sieze, right or not. I dont know the size of any self tapping screws. I have a bag of old computer screws and dig thru it. Cheap crap too tho.

Thanks!!

• 5 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 1:54 AM, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

I've just picked up a CST-C1773 to replace my worn CST-C1488 (apparently I carve too hard on the right) and am looking forward to seeing if it's the same for me. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

Where did you buy it?

• 2 months later...

Just got my 16x in today from eWheels. Looks like it’s fitted with the Chao Yang H-666 tire! Build date June 30 2021, 2.07 Firmware.

I thought the HECC tire was discontinued…should I be worried? :huh:

6 hours ago, KNZ said:

Just got my 16x in today from eWheels. Looks like it’s fitted with the Chao Yang H-666 tire! Build date June 30 2021, 2.07 Firmware.

I thought the HECC tire was discontinued…should I be worried? :huh:

E-Wheels is all about that tire, I bet it's a custom request from them. Not sure why you'd be worried?

Last winter I installed the Pirelli Angel Scooter tire. I’ve tried others and was about to give up when I found this tire. When the tire arrived it looked too big, but I mounted it anyway. I’m glad I did! 
I fooled around with the OEM tire since I got the the S18 last September and couldn’t stop it from bouncing and wobbling. Cheap POS.

This tire is in a completely different class, it’s a solid road tire. I’ve been riding this is incredible tire in the snow and wet ice, spring rain, and now in the heat of summer (100°+)for 9 months. Places where I had a hard time standing up this thing just manages to stick. It works well off-road too the only place I have trouble with it is in sand and loose gravel. 
The 80/80 - 14 M/C 43S REINFTL is very competitively priced at under $30. 

7517C9AC-1664-4F9F-A5DF-83CCABBC35DF.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mac said:

Last winter I installed the Pirelli Angel Scooter tire. I’ve tried others and was about to give up when I found this tire. When the tire arrived it looked too big, but I mounted it anyway. I’m glad I did! 
I fooled around with the OEM tire since I got the the S18 last September and couldn’t stop it from bouncing and wobbling. Cheap POS.

This tire is in a completely different class, it’s a solid road tire. I’ve been riding this is incredible tire in the snow and wet ice, spring rain, and now in the heat of summer (100°+)for 9 months. Places where I had a hard time standing up this thing just manages to stick. It works well off-road too the only place I have trouble with it is in sand and loose gravel. 
The 80/80 - 14 M/C 43S REINFTL is very competitively priced at under $30. 

So you're saying that a 80/80 - 14 tire should fit on the 16X rim?
Because I found this tire: https://www.bandenleader.nl/motor-band/heidenau/k42/80-80-14-43j-432516
Thoughts?
I ride offroad very often

Edited by ArieKanarie

1 hour ago, ArieKanarie said:

So you're saying that a 80/80 - 14 tire should fit on the 16X rim?

The 16X rim is 12”.

Most of the off-road, knobby or winter tires we can find are for 14" rims tho (like MSX, S18, V11, Sherman)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, supercurio said:

The 16X rim is 12”.

Most of the off-road, knobby or winter tires we can find are for 14" rims tho (like MSX, S18, V11, Sherman)

Oh now I see him talking about his S18. We're in a 16X discussion so I figured he meant 16X.
There seems to be a good offroad tire used by some people in a Spain riders group, but they don't want to tell which tire it is.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2021 at 8:31 AM, ArieKanarie said:

That Heidenau fits on the s18. But then is no more space for dirt and gravel to come between the tire and shell.

The exact tire in 12´will not fit on the Nikola. I tested it. So I suppose it also won´t fit the 16x.

On 12/30/2020 at 7:03 PM, Tokumeino said:

I have received my brand new KS16X. It was assembled on November, the 7th so I guess that it is the latest batch.

It appears that it comes with a new tire, named J-6188 (no brand). Do you know about this one ?

The issue is : with most my weight on one foot, the tire touches the shell and makes noise when turning (30, 35 and 45 PSI... no change). Do you think that the issue will just fade away as the tire gets more km ?

Do the praised H666 tires touch the shell as well ?

Screenshot_20201230-191033~2.png

I had to replace the stock tire of my Nikola (CST-1488) and went for this J-6188. After the first 5km I hate it. It does not want to turn as easy as the CST. You can tilt the EUC and still drive a straight line. So in every corner my pedals scrape (I have the GW offroad adjustable pedals - they do not scrape that easy and I made them more angeled). The cornering speed is way lower than before. Now the wheel does not wobble at all. So the tire gives more stability, which I do not need. The area of contact to the ground is bigger with the J compared to the CST. Also the grip in mud is much better.

At high speeds the wheel is extremely stable. Cornering feels good (a bit gyro, like on the CST). But if You carve excessively there is a point where the wheel tips pretty fast after overcoming the gyro. That is scary and makes DEEP carves impossible.

Now I am looking for a tire like before with better thread for more grip in mud. But cornering characterisitcs are extremely important for me.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.de/itm/274387761061?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3D411b6b3d8aef451ba7707f89f0f2ffa6%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D324766736870%26itm%3D274387761061%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524%26brand%3DBurley&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

I tried this on my Nikola. Extremely good grip offroad. But that is all.

It is not built for motorbikes. So the wall is too thin and Your rim will get damaged even with hight tire pressure. Cornering is awful. It tips to one side directly after driving a straight line...

• Like 1

It’s probably a good idea to stay within the tire models that someone has already tried and found at least decent for EUCs. Our requirements for the tilting and turning behavior are so much more precise and picky than what the tires are generally made for, that trying them out randomly makes it very probable to have to go through a few ones to find one you can use.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After looking at Duro tires like the Duro DM-1153, and seeing they exist for 12" rims, I realized that there's a large selection of cross tires in 80/100-12.

Example: https://www.dackleader.se/motorcykeldack-80-100-12/

Remembering that 80/90-14 was a lot less tall than the typical 2.75-14 tire on the Sherman, I wonder if a 80/100 would be the right height on a 16X!

Do you think a 80/100 tire would fit on the 16X?

Has anybody tried?

52 minutes ago, supercurio said:

My guess is that probably not. Aren’t they all Motocross tires? Motorcycle tire width does not include the knobs, so 80/100 is a really big one.

Most 80/90-14 fit in a V11 and many also on the MSX/MSP/RS. But it does fill the tire cavity almost completely.

I know that 2.50-12 MC Motocross tires generally do fit, but they do leave room to spare.

A 70/100 would probably be a better fit on the 16X, if you can find any.

58 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Remembering that 80/90-14 was a lot less tall than the typical 2.75-14 tire on the Sherman

The Sherman tire is a knobby, which makes much of the height. A 80/90-14 could be just as tall. And the Shinko SR244 2.75-14 is much bigger in every direction than the Sherman tire (Kenda K262? 2.75-14).

More than just the measurements, MC tire markings usually describe the genre as well. For example, 60/100 is always a Motocross tire, 80/80 is a street tire or a crossover, 100/70 is a street tire, etc. But 2.75-14 can be anything at all.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, supercurio said:

After looking at Duro tires like the Duro DM-1153, and seeing they exist for 12" rims, I realized that there's a large selection of cross tires in 80/100-12.

Example: https://www.dackleader.se/motorcykeldack-80-100-12/

Remembering that 80/90-14 was a lot less tall than the typical 2.75-14 tire on the Sherman, I wonder if a 80/100 would be the right height on a 16X!

Has anybody tried?

Yes, I did. But sadly on my Nikola they are too large. They fit the rim, but the wheel housing is too small...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I now have this tire on my Nikola:

https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/opona-3-00-12-tt-47l-simson-sr50-skuter-i5800711978.html

I got the tip through a friend from Poland who also ordered it for me.

It is no offroad tire, but with decent amount of grip. The turning behaviour is perfect! The turning radius is linear to the leaning angle and it is really hard to scrape the pedals. I will stick with that tire forever😉.

The only downside is that it was really hard tl mount. I destroyed ~4 tubes before fitting this tight tire without damaging the tube...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Boris Lämpel said:

I now have this tire on my Nikola:

https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/opona-3-00-12-tt-47l-simson-sr50-skuter-i5800711978.html

I got the tip through a friend from Poland who also ordered it for me.

It is no offroad tire, but with decent amount of grip. The turning behaviour is perfect! The turning radius is linear to the leaning angle and it is really hard to scrape the pedals. I will stick with that tire forever😉.

The only downside is that it was really hard tl mount. I destroyed ~4 tubes before fitting this tight tire without damaging the tube...

I have ordered and received that one aswell but haven't mounted it yet (bought 4 different tires at the same time)
It is the same size as the other 4 tires I bought and those need a shell spacer for it to fit and not rub.

The shell spacing is a scary modification but I am glad I did it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, ArieKanarie said:

I have ordered and received that one aswell but haven't mounted it yet (bought 4 different tires at the same time)
It is the same size as the other 4 tires I bought and those need a shell spacer for it to fit and not rub.

The shell spacing is a scary modification but I am glad I did it.

How did it work out? Is it a good tyre?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paul g said:

How did it work out? Is it a good tyre?

After some testing I'll just say it's not the best tire available.
Wet roads and offroad capabilities are a little bit diappointing. Dry roads no problem.
I eventually went back to the stock tire size.
These tires aren't the perfect size and rub on the valve stem causing it to tear eventually. Happened three times in one month.