KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

11 hours ago, Unventor said:

@buell47 made a great post long back with different mods I think enlarging the hole to allow the to be more position towards the axel than the tire was modification 2 on a long list of instructions and pictures.

When I had my KS16X in for service I got my CX tire swapped to a CY tire and then it is not an issue unless I go past 40kmh the it starts to wobble. I need to reseat my tire as it looks like it is autocarving 😏. But since I limit yiltback to 40kmh I have not been bothered. And now with my V11.... Nahe. 

Found it. Thank you! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

SG$ 22.25 | 60/100-12"2.75-12 Inch Tyre Tire + Inner Tube For Mini Pit Pro Trail Dirt Bike
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLBaMdV

Possible compatible knobby tyre spotted! Looks 95% similar to mine so expect more or less the same characteristics.

Ooh, this might resolve my loss of traction on muddy/mossy footpath issue.

1 hour ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Ooh, this might resolve my loss of traction on muddy/mossy footpath issue.

Muddy footpaths - Sure did it for me! Not sure about moss though. If the mud isn't too thick, it seems like the H-666 would be enough for those while not having knobby-specific drawbacks.

This disclaimer may be little overdue, but do note that installing these pit bike tyres are a completely different animal compared to e-bike tyres like the chaoyang/cst ones. Prepare to learn how to mount a tyre from scratch all over if you are willing to take the challenge.

Edited by Tinkererboi
  • Like 1

Today, finally, I received my KS16X.

- Firmware: 2,02

- Batch/production date in Serial number:  (...)200701(...)  I guess it means  "01 July 2020" 

- Tire: CST C-1488

Please help me: max speed is currently "28 km/h".

I try to modificate it in App, but it does not memorize the changment: always 28 km/h.

I can't set anything different than 28 km/h.

Why?

(sorry for my bad english)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Pengloong

Thank-you, I found that I have to ride before the wheel let me go faster, but I think that it is more than 17 km. However currently I am at abt 30 km done, this evening I try to change the speed limit.

But this is NOT a problem... this is my first wheel and I am still learning...

CST C-1488 at about 26 PSI.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 2:24 AM, buell47 said:

I changed my 16X tire right now from the beloved CST-C1488 to CST-C1773. 

I've just picked up a CST-C1773 to replace my worn CST-C1488 (apparently I carve too hard on the right) and am looking forward to seeing if it's the same for me. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have received my brand new KS16X. It was assembled on November, the 7th so I guess that it is the latest batch.

It appears that it comes with a new tire, named J-6188 (no brand). Do you know about this one ?

The issue is : with most my weight on one foot, the tire touches the shell and makes noise when turning (30, 35 and 45 PSI... no change). Do you think that the issue will just fade away as the tire gets more km ?

Do the praised H666 tires touch the shell as well ?

Screenshot_20201230-191033~2.png

Edited by Tokumeino
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tokumeino said:

The issue is : with most my weight on one foot, the tire touches the shell and makes noise when turning (30, 35 and 45 PSI... no change).

I had this issue before. The solution is the Pedal Hangers.  The Motor Axle is connected to the Pedal Hanger.  The Pedal Hanger is connected to the Shell. The Shell is not aligned. You cannot tighten one side and then tighten the other. You need to loosen the shell while standing up (not laying down flat) and tighten both sides evenly. Post if this works.

17 minutes ago, Tokumeino said:

Do the praised H666 tires touch the shell as well ?

On mine, the H666 doesn't touch while turning but does touch ever so lightly when one legged on my right foot. Left foot is fine. When I have to mess with the tire I'll be sure to try the alignment trick. Too bad they've moved away from the 666, but it looks like you get more knobbies!

6 hours ago, Tokumeino said:

I have received my brand new KS16X. It was assembled on November, the 7th so I guess that it is the latest batch.

It appears that it comes with a new tire, named J-6188 (no brand). Do you know about this one ?

Please share a photo on the tread of the tire!

• Like 1

That J-6188 tread looks a bit similar to the 1st batch CX tire if I am not mistaken. 

@Tokumeino if I understand you right you mentioned it have some gyro feel to it?

4 hours ago, null said:

Several pics here :)

What an interesting shape and pattern! It’s peculiar how the side photos show only a shallow tread section, yet the front photo shows a rather promisingly aggressive and deep pattern. Makes me think that the shape of the carcass may indeed be somewhat unconventional. Very hard to estimate the amount of “gyro effect” or turning behavior in general. But at least the grip should be very nice, and even fairly reasonable for off-road.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:54 AM, Unventor said:

That J-6188 tread looks a bit similar to the 1st batch CX tire if I am not mistaken. 

@Tokumeino if I understand you right you mentioned it have some gyro feel to it?

I'm new to the KS16X, my reference being a KS16S. So I can't really tell about the gyro effect (too many differences at the same time, that I cannot sort).

I can tell that when turning, it appears that I tend to accompany the wheel with the exterior shin bone. But it is very natural and I've never felt unsafe. I still didn't ride faster than 40kmh, though, and I didn't turn at higher speed (not skilled enough yet).

Edited by Tokumeino
  • Like 1

@mrelwood yes indeed, the pattern looks progressive and with large enough patches to avoid feeling like a knobby / wiggle (the problem I have with the 1788)

The gyro effect might be possible to discern from a front profile picture (blunt / square), as long as we consider the material to be of the same stiffness. Could be different with reinforced sidewalls though.

edit: in this pic we see that the pointy profile of the 2.5 “ h-666 giving the opposite effect of gyro; too much flip flop.

309F05A5-A720-486D-B277-795F2AC6B382.jpeg

Edited by null
  • Like 3

@DragonFZ Thanks for the trick. I'll do the centering thing once I get adequate foam to weather-seal the wheel at the same time. However, I'm not very optimistic about that since the shell seems quite well centered to  my eyes, and both sides touch equally. BTW, I'll change for good quality hex screws (pedals as well as external shell) : what screw dimensions should I grab ?

It appears that I didn't use the adequate vocabulary (sorry, I'm no native) : the tire actually doesn't touch the shell while turning but rather while spinning when I'm fully or almost on one foot (skate starting for instance). When riding and turning, no issue at all.

Note that I've lowered the pressure a bit (to 30PSI) and after a few more km, I have the impression  that things already improve a bit. But it could be me, unconsciously adapting to the situation.

Edited by Tokumeino
Question about screw dimensions.

I've sanded the protuding sides. The tire profile being rather round, I don't think that I'll ride or these extreme sides very much, anyway. I've however kept the side studs protuding a bit so the tire can grab a small sidewalk without slipping.

At 30PSI (I weight 90kg dressed up), the wheel is very comfortable yet maneuverable, and no wobbling as far as I can tell. Plus, the tire doesn't touch any more in normal use (sharp turns, quick "skate" start, feet position adjustment) so to me, the issue is solved.

I can however still make the shell touch the tire if I deliberately want to do so, but it doesn't matter to me. Plus, with the tire softening a bit after a bit more usage, I'm quite confident that I'll be able to ride one feet (pushing hard on the shell) without any noise.

PXL_20210102_114304155.thumb.jpg.8e923f6f465896ef633513f3a5081723.jpg

Note : the sanding process did last much less than 5min :

https://youtu.be/5XM8kQEyIYI

Edited by Tokumeino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Solosmooth said:

Where can I get replacement tire screws for my 16x?

2 screws on my 16x are worn out. I know their machine screws but dont know the exact size. Can I replace it with hex screws with similar size?

Thanks!!

I went online and ordered a stainless hex screw kit for my Sherman. These wheels all use common metric screws, but there is a few lengths and sizes. You'd have to be more specific. Fwiw, I'd get a large kit and some antisieze compound and just start swapping(just say NO to loc-tite). They look nice and even cheap hex seem to work better than phillips. You cant really buy anything shittier than stock, so no worries. Just pay attention to the recess and head type. Fwiw, there is validity in accellerated corrossion when mixing metals. Wheels have brass type inserts and I dont know (nor care to investigate) what specific coatings are acceptable or not. I just use miniscule amounts of silver anti-sieze, right or not. I dont know the size of any self tapping screws. I have a bag of old computer screws and dig thru it. Cheap crap too tho.

Edited by ShanesPlanet