KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

Really, I don't understand what happens.

The valve hole is too near the tire. Is so near that the tire is pushing against it. As you can see through the hole, the tire is pushing against the valve, although I made the valve hole bigger to almost touch the black rim :

photo_2020-08-27_19-21-44.thumb.jpg.2f05c3a7b66abb406407f5cf706d6d92.jpg

This leads to a not centered tire, which I notice when riding (bumpy ride). See the spacing difference on the valve zone and the other side:

photo_2020-08-27_19-22-05.thumb.jpg.800dae712338497bcc6631f21b070ac2.jpg

photo_2020-08-27_19-22-00.thumb.jpg.7ce92b455fba38b04acd553e26c3238a.jpg

Also I'm sure this is going to wear the tire because of continuous bruishing, as I'm sure that it was the problem I had with the stock tire.

People that changed the tire, do you noticed this problem? Maybe I have a faulty wheel with a different valve hole or whatever, but this is bugging me a lot as this wheel is not cheap to have a design flaw which wears tires faster than usual. Or maybe you have a different tube with a different valve which leaves a bit more space. Mine is a Black Cat.

Edited by Llorx
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Llorx said:

Really, I don't understand what happens.

The valve hole is too near the tire. Is so near that the tire is pushing against it. As you can see through the hole, the tire is pushing against the valve, although I made the valve hole bigger to almost touch the black rim :

photo_2020-08-27_19-21-44.thumb.jpg.2f05c3a7b66abb406407f5cf706d6d92.jpg

This leads to a not centered tire, which I notice when riding (bumpy ride). See the spacing difference on the valve zone and the other side:

photo_2020-08-27_19-22-05.thumb.jpg.800dae712338497bcc6631f21b070ac2.jpg

photo_2020-08-27_19-22-00.thumb.jpg.7ce92b455fba38b04acd553e26c3238a.jpg

Also I'm sure this is going to wear the tire because of continuous bruishing, as I'm sure that it was the problem I had with the stock tire.

People that changed the tire, do you noticed this problem? Maybe I have a faulty wheel with a different valve hole or whatever, but this is bugging me a lot as this wheel is not cheap to have a design flaw which wears tires faster than usual. Or maybe you have a different tube with a different valve which leaves a bit more space. Mine is a Black Cat.

Have you tried letting the tyre down and putting the tyre where the valve is on the floor then put pressure on the tyre or sit on it when you pump it up so it seats on the valve bit first, and when it gets hard to pump don't sit on it anymore and pump it to right pressure see if that works

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stephen said:

Have you tried letting the tyre down and putting the tyre where the valve is on the floor then put pressure on the tyre or sit on it when you pump it up so it seats on the valve bit first, and when it gets hard to pump don't sit on it anymore and pump it to right pressure see if that works

What I've just tried, and it worked, is when mounting the tire on the rim, start with the valve zone, so gets more pressure. It is not equally divided along the rim BUT the bruishing against the valve still exists :-/ I guess that this is something we all have.

The bad thing is that I punctured the tube (again) while doing so. Now I don't have more tubes and have to wait for one. Yay...

1 hour ago, Llorx said:

What I've just tried, and it worked, is when mounting the tire on the rim, start with the valve zone, so gets more pressure. It is not equally divided along the rim BUT the bruishing against the valve still exists :-/ I guess that this is something we all have.

The bad thing is that I punctured the tube (again) while doing so. Now I don't have more tubes and have to wait for one. Yay...

My cyt tyre had a wobly tyre when installed but i put the CX tyre back on because i prefer the feel and the CX doesn't wobble it didn't bother me that much anyway ,,i don't use tyre levers to put tyre on i use force of hands 👍

• Like 1

I just got my 16X, and I found getting to the valve was incredibly annoying. I had to wedge something under the stem to make it so my pump would fit. How far can I safely move and bend the stem? I really don't want to mess it up, it's a brand new wheel :unsure:

18 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

I just got my 16X, and I found getting to the valve was incredibly annoying. I had to wedge something under the stem to make it so my pump would fit. How far can I safely move and bend the stem? I really don't want to mess it up, it's a brand new wheel :unsure:

Just buy one of these comes in handy for any wheel

140mm Brass Auto Tire Valve Extension Adaptor, Air Tyre Stem Extender Inflation Stright Bore for Motorcycle, Bike, Mower and Scooter(100mm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G9D1YN8/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_G4csFbRW5BPGV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen said:

Just buy one of these comes in handy for any wheel

140mm Brass Auto Tire Valve Extension Adaptor, Air Tyre Stem Extender Inflation Stright Bore for Motorcycle, Bike, Mower and Scooter(100mm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G9D1YN8/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_G4csFbRW5BPGV

Do these really make it fit better? My electric pump has a tube extension and my issue is just barely being able to fit the screw-on nozzle without the wedge, and it looks like these extenders have a nozzle of similar thickness... do you have these adapters? is it still a PIA to screw them on?

30 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Do these really make it fit better? My electric pump has a tube extension and my issue is just barely being able to fit the screw-on nozzle without the wedge, and it looks like these extenders have a nozzle of similar thickness... do you have these adapters? is it still a PIA to screw them on?

You just put it on at the same angle as the valve then there's plenty of space to put your pump on,, many people use them

7 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

I have one and find it doesn’t help on the 16x. It’s just as hard to get in as a pump. 

That's what I was assuming would be the case. If I could barely fit my extended pump onto it, that'd be the case with any extension

5 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I have one and find it doesn’t help on the 16x. It’s just as hard to get in as a pump. 

5 hours ago, rexdelmolvo said:

That's what I was assuming would be the case. If I could barely fit my extended pump onto it, that'd be the case with any extension

Can't understand 🤔 i just put my valve extension on,,, then just pop my pump on the extension why do you need to bend the valve?   Maybe you'd is different

• Like 2

New Rule: When changing to a new tire, get a new tube. Do not patch the old tube. After 4 hours installing H666 tire, my 40 PSI wheel became a 0 PSI wheel in 12 hours.  My solution: Ordered new tubes and new rim (cause I have 2 bents on the current rim) and replace it all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonFZ said:

New Rule: When changing to a new tire, get a new tube. Do not patch the old tube

Agreed, not worth the risk when a tyre swap required this much disassembly. Another rule: slightly smaller tubes are fine, but not larger tubes. 3 inch tube in my 2.75 knobby made for a hell of a bumpy ride and eventual leak.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

New Rule: When changing to a new tire, get a new tube. Do not patch the old tube. After 4 hours installing H666 tire, my 40 PSI wheel became a 0 PSI wheel in 12 hours.  My solution: Ordered new tubes and new rim (cause I have 2 bents on the current rim) and replace it all.

This is my tube now. And the same way the other side of the tube. More than 10 patches total.

And now also slimed. Just tested and seems that is not losing air (was losing air bur moved the wheel around with the slime and it stopped :-/). Oh gosh I want to ride this weekend so badly. Will do anything while I get the new tubes haha.

photo_2020-08-28_17-29-24.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stephen said:

My cyt tyre had a wobly tyre when installed but i put the CX tyre back on because i prefer the feel and the CX doesn't wobble it didn't bother me that much anyway ,,i don't use tyre levers to put tyre on i use force of hands 👍

How??? is smpossible for my by hand! Maybe I try the bracked method at some time.

1 hour ago, Llorx said:

How??? is smpossible for my by hand! Maybe I try the bracked method at some time.

I get the tyre on with the tyre lever without the innertube in , then i put the innertube in and press the tyre on by hand ,,kneel on one side and force the opposite side of tyre over with hands, maybe I'm just strong 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Llorx said:

This is my tube now. And the same way the other side of the tube. More than 10 patches total.

And now also slimed. Just tested and seems that is not losing air (was losing air bur moved the wheel around with the slime and it stopped :-/). Oh gosh I want to ride this weekend so badly. Will do anything while I get the new tubes haha.

photo_2020-08-28_17-29-24.jpg

What did you ride over a hedgehog

• Like 3

I get the tyre on with the tyre lever without the innertube in , then i put the innertube in and press the tyre on by hand ,,kneel on one side and force the opposite side of tyre over with hands, maybe I'm just strong 😁

WTF man. I'm going to try that right now (3rd assembly today...) but I'm sure that is impossible hahaha.

What did you ride over a hedgehog

hahahahaha

No. Simply that I have big levers and zero skills xD I pinched almost all the tube with the lever one of the assemblies/dissasemblies... now I'm way more cautious.

Edited by Llorx

56 minutes ago, Llorx said:

hahahahaha

No. Simply that I have big levers and zero skills xD I pinched almost all the tube with the lever one of the assemblies/dissasemblies... now I'm way more cautious.

Make sure you put the tyre on near the valve first and push the innertube to the back of the tyre so you don't nip it trying to get in back on 

Make sure you put the tyre on near the valve first and push the innertube to the back of the tyre so you don't nip it trying to get in back on 

Exactly that's what I do now. Assembled again without pinching the tube with the lever tool. EDIT: I've tried with my hands brute force and had to use the lever... damn how soft I am xD

Just made a test ride of about 10km. Is working fine. Oh my gosh I'm finally going to ride this wheel after 1 and a half month!!!! I'M SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!!!

If it lasts a few hours this weekend over 30 PSI I'm happy. I'm going to let it rest this night and tomorrow check the PSI. Wish me luck :-)

Edited by Llorx

On 8/27/2020 at 8:15 PM, Llorx said:

@buell47 made a great post long back with different mods I think enlarging the hole to allow the to be more position towards the axel than the tire was modification 2 on a long list of instructions and pictures.

When I had my KS16X in for service I got my CX tire swapped to a CY tire and then it is not an issue unless I go past 40kmh the it starts to wobble. I need to reseat my tire as it looks like it is autocarving 😏. But since I limit yiltback to 40kmh I have not been bothered. And now with my V11.... Nahe. 

• Like 1