KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

letters on tire must go left to right sorry i am unexperienced i not own this tire and i never have it in hands maybee @stephen and others who love this tire can help you. MY 16X is on chayo yang super nimble and silent tire (is 2 batch stock tire)

6 hours ago, Borg666 said:

Does anyone knows if the rotation direction of the 1st batch CX321 matters in some way? Or is it mountable omnidirectional?

What is the purpose of the green stripe positioned originally on the left Hand side?

Thanks a lot 

Cheers, Borg 

6 hours ago, Borg666 said:

Unfortunately my dealer mounted the tire the other way around, means, actually the stripe is on the right hand side now.... :blink1:

38 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

letters on tire must go left to right sorry i am unexperienced i not own this tire and i never have it in hands maybee @stephen and others who love this tire can help you. MY 16X is on chayo yang super nimble and silent tire (is 2 batch stock tire)

The CX321 tyre has the green stripe on the left hand side when looking down at it when your stood on it , BUT I've just looked at mine and I've installed the new one wrong ,, it's on the right 😂

Does it matter? I've never noticed till I've just this minute looked 😁

There's no difference in riding and even riding in the wet shouldn't make a difference because the tread looks mostly identical which ever way you install it ,, but i don't ride in the rain anyway ,

You could always ride it with the wheel facing backwards if it bothers you 😂😂😂

I honestly don't think it makes a difference 👍 I'm leaving mine how it is and it still rides ACE, my fave wheel 😊

• Like 3

Always noticed that the wheel on my 16x was offset by around 4mm, yesterday I finally tried to correct it while switching tyres.

Intuitively, one would think that the pedal hangers were installed a little wonky. However, upon inspection with a vernier caliper, I realized they were both actually spot on. (31.85mm from the main body of the motor) It was driving me crazy and I actually went back to measure and document it at least 5 times hoping my measurements were wrong.

So the only possibility left now is that the motor itself is offset to the right by up to 4mm.

When I finally did remove the pedal hangers, I learnt that there were actually spacers installed on the axle to make installing the pedal hangers less of a guess job and also perhaps to add strength to the assembly. Wondering why didn't kingsong just make one spacer 4mm larger or smaller to correct the offset. This would improve the looks or even tyre clearance.

Anyways, how are your wheels? Is this an issue that has been corrected eventually in the later releases? Mine was an early-ish 1.07 release. Think it was an august 2019 batch.

12 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

So the only possibility left now is that the motor itself is offset to the right by up to 4mm.

How about the flexible plastic shell that I assume you measure against? Is the offset identical at the front and back, as well as top to bottom?

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

How about the flexible plastic shell that I assume you measure against? Is the offset identical at the front and back, as well as top to bottom?

Yep, it's identical from all angles. In normal circumstances it doesn't affect performance whatsoever but pretty OCD triggering once you spot it.

In my case (knobby tyres) the 4mm made all the difference between slightly rubbing and zero rubbing. Wanted to know if it's something others should factor in when considering a 2.75 knobby as weell.

• Like 1

Yesterday I got my new 16X from factory. It was sent by train end of May (28th May). Serial KS16X2B200528****

This one came with CST C-1488-189 tire. I need to ride more to give my opinion, but I am surprised they still send this version out. Anybody else got recently CST tire from factory?

3 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Those look like some clean cuts! Any tips on how I can do mine? Special tools? 

20200801-124240.jpg

Clearance is adequate, but i'm still curious nonetheless

That's a KS16X? What tire is that? How it performs in asphalt at high speeds?

PD: I've seen using a cutter for that. A cutter and a lot of patience xD

Edited by Llorx

9 hours ago, Llorx said:

It's a cheap 2.75×12 from taobao. All in it cost me around $15 USD. This was with shipping and a free tube that won't work with EUCs. 

Can't comment on performance yet as I gotta do more testing. For now I would say it makes max speed even more stable. Tried loose gravel, sand, mud, wet grass and roots, no slipping so far. Haven't tried any serious cornering on wet pavement or slippery concrete yet

P.s. there is no way to get these on with bare hands or bicycle tools. You will need sturdy 12 inch long motorcycle tyre levers. This thing is super tight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Those look like some clean cuts! Any tips on how I can do mine? Special tools? 

Fine MultiMaster Tool and a very sharp blade.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00IUM81EW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_I67kFbZ6F0J26

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

It's a cheap 2.75×12 from taobao. All in it cost me around $15 USD. This was with shipping and a free tube that won't work with EUCs. 

Can't comment on performance yet as I gotta do more testing. For now I would say it makes max speed even more stable. Tried loose gravel, sand, mud, wet grass and roots, no slipping so far. Haven't tried any serious cornering on wet pavement or slippery concrete yet

P.s. there is no way to get these on with bare hands or bicycle tools. You will need sturdy 12 inch long motorcycle tyre levers. This thing is super tight.

Nice. Can you keep us updated? I was looking for a knobby one, without success, so bought a h666 which is still in China :-(

On 8/5/2020 at 10:43 AM, traktori said:

This one came with CST C-1488-189 tire. I need to ride more to give my opinion, but I am surprised they still send this version out. Anybody else got recently CST tire from factory?

Yes, me too (date from serial number 20-04-30) and another members reports this top of page 9 in this thread. (Incidentally mine was CST C-1488-232, ie 232 not 189, if that makes a difference. I changed the tire and reported my opinion above.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jancellor said:

Yes, me too (date from serial number 20-04-30) and another members reports this top of page 9 in this thread. (Incidentally mine was CST C-1488-232, ie 232 not 189, if that makes a difference. I changed the tire and reported my opinion above.)

I have driven 3 days now with my new 16X with CST-1488 tire. 120 km. First opinion was that I can't handle this tire at all when there is any longitudinal structures on the surface. My tire pressure was about 2,1 bar (about 31 PSI), my weight is about 95 kg. So pressure seemed to be ok.

Then I changed the pressure to 1,4 bar (20PSI) and now 1,6 bar (23 PSI). What a difference. Still some gyro-effect, but I don't need to worry at all for any structures on road and much more ease and trust to turn the wheel with high speed corners.

I don't know if the CST tire has really strong side walls and structure or why I can use this tire with such a low pressure. And trust me I have tried to bottom it out with many roots and rocks on trails.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, traktori said:

I have driven 3 days now with my new 16X with CST-1488 tire. 120 km. First opinion was that I can't handle this tire at all when there is any longitudinal structures on the surface. My tire pressure was about 2,1 bar (about 31 PSI), my weight is about 95 kg. So pressure seemed to be ok.

Then I changed the pressure to 1,4 bar (20PSI) and now 1,6 bar (23 PSI). What a difference. Still some gyro-effect, but I don't need to worry at all for any structures on road and much more ease and trust to turn the wheel with high speed corners.

I don't know if the CST tire has really strong side walls and structure or why I can use this tire with such a low pressure. And trust me I have tried to bottom it out with many roots and rocks on trails.

Maybe not because of bottom out. Maybe just because when the PSI is too low, the tire starts to "bend inwards" from the middle and is not prepared for that kind of wear on the outside. Btw not sure if this applies to EUCs as the tires are not that wide as car ones. I still prefer to stick within manufacture limits, just in case.

image.png.ebad944605534ee0619fa71472b57581.png

Edited by Llorx

My KS16X, my first wheel (oh yeah...), is yet to come, but I have already started studying many aspects... including tires.

It was not easy for me to understand the "situation"; can I do a little summary/list?

Anyone can copy and paste the list, to correct it, to complete it, to add comments on one or more models :)

I do not know mine which tire will come with (:confused1:)

CTX  (or "CX")    CX321

- - - 

CST (Cheng Shin Tire)     C-1488

- - -

CHAO YANG  ("CYT" and "CY"?)     H-666

CHAO YANG      H-5167

CHAO YANG      H-5102

CHAO YANG      H-5146

CHAO YANG      H-587

-

KENDA     57-305

On 8/6/2020 at 4:20 AM, Llorx said:

PD: I've seen using a cutter for that. A cutter and a lot of patience xD

After some riding I think I can say this tyre is perfectly safe for the 16x with minimal to zero modifications. At most, a 3mm acrylic shim between the pedal hangers and shell is all you need if the tyre clearance seems too close for comfort.

The novelty of it is enough to tide me over the s18 for now especially amidst the whole geolocking scandal.

Short term review:

Better grip offroad (duh)

Way more confidence going down stairs

Seems safe at lower psi, almost a suspension-like feel compared to e-bike tyres at 20psi.

Way easier to roll up curbs, will try going up small stairs next.

More stable at high speeds

Also strangely, more carve-y. Going down way low is effortless now. Totally unexpected result here.

More leaves and pebbles get stuck in the shell too. Might be a hazard to look out for if a rock somehow manages to lodge the wheel shut - let's just see how it goes.

Links:

https://m.tb.cn/h.VukQh89?sm=0fed0c

https://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/detail.htm?id=563424729241&toSite=main

perhaps aliexpress sellers here in the forum might want to consider selling it for our western friends soon. 👀😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

After some riding I think I can say this tyre is perfectly safe for the 16x with minimal to zero modifications. At most, a 3mm acrylic shim between the pedal hangers and shell is all you need if the tyre clearance seems too close for comfort.

The novelty of it is enough to tide me over the s18 for now especially amidst the whole geolocking scandal.

Short term review:

Better grip offroad (duh)

Way more confidence going down stairs

Seems safe at lower psi, almost a suspension-like feel compared to e-bike tyres at 20psi.

Way easier to roll up curbs, will try going up small stairs next.

More stable at high speeds

Also strangely, more carve-y. Going down way low is effortless now. Totally unexpected result here.

More leaves and pebbles get stuck in the shell too. Might be a hazard to look out for if a rock somehow manages to lodge the wheel shut - let's just see how it goes.

Links:

https://m.tb.cn/h.VukQh89?sm=0fed0c

https://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/detail.htm?id=563424729241&toSite=main

perhaps aliexpress sellers here in the forum might want to consider selling it for our western friends soon. 👀😁

Did this for straight on our did you have to cut nobs off?

How did you order it's all in Chinese 😁

31 minutes ago, stephen said:

Did this for straight on our did you have to cut nobs off?

How did you order it's all in Chinese 😁

It's my second language, haha. You could use google translate if you are brave enough though i'm not sure if taobao has full global support.

No messing with the nobs of course. Works straight out of the box but I shimmed it anyways cause the 3mm offset was an eyesore for me. Still wondering if it's just a defect on my wheel. 

You might want to snip the hairy bits off instead of riding till they fall off though. 😁👍🏻

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

My new 16x has the same offset.  I’m glad to know someone investigated it.

Did you know approximately when you bought it or if you have the serial or batch number? Mine was a september batch i think. Can't be sure.