KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

6 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

After some riding I think I can say this tyre is perfectly safe for the 16x with minimal to zero modifications. At most, a 3mm acrylic shim between the pedal hangers and shell is all you need if the tyre clearance seems too close for comfort.

The novelty of it is enough to tide me over the s18 for now especially amidst the whole geolocking scandal.

Short term review:

Better grip offroad (duh)

Way more confidence going down stairs

Seems safe at lower psi, almost a suspension-like feel compared to e-bike tyres at 20psi.

Way easier to roll up curbs, will try going up small stairs next.

More stable at high speeds

Also strangely, more carve-y. Going down way low is effortless now. Totally unexpected result here.

More leaves and pebbles get stuck in the shell too. Might be a hazard to look out for if a rock somehow manages to lodge the wheel shut - let's just see how it goes.

Links:

https://m.tb.cn/h.VukQh89?sm=0fed0c

https://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/detail.htm?id=563424729241&toSite=main

perhaps aliexpress sellers here in the forum might want to consider selling it for our western friends soon. 👀😁

Woah, nice review. Thank you! :-)

What is that shim that you are talking about? Is my first time doing this kind of things to an EUC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Did you know approximately when you bought it or if you have the serial or batch number? Mine was a september batch i think. Can't be sure.

I bought it about 2 weeks ago from ewheels.  Darknessbot says it was built 17.06.2020. 

7 hours ago, stephen said:

Did this for straight on our did you have to cut nobs off?

How did you order it's all in Chinese 😁

I'm using cssbuy for this item. There's also superbuy. Keep in mind that shipping can be up to 30-80€ (at least for EU).

Edited by Llorx

7 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I bought it about 2 weeks ago from ewheels.  Darknessbot says it was built 17.06.2020. 

Hmm, so even new models have the issue. I'm pretty convinced the rim itself is offset right now. 

7 hours ago, Llorx said:

Woah, nice review. Thank you! :-)

What is that shim that you are talking about? Is my first time doing this kind of things to an EUC.

That's just a lazy half assed review. I'll try to share more after more extensive testing :)

I just traced the pedal hanger slot on the inside of the shell and cut out another copy on a 3mm acrylic sheet. Kinda hard to explain. Now i kinda wish I took pics 😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buell47 said:

However, that's not really centering of wheel/motor but pushing apart of housing which might result tension cracks. :efefb6a84e:

True, i bet there's a limit to how much you can shim it till it's dangerous. However the shell isn't manufactured to exact tolerances, and 3mm probably won't matter that much. It's not like I had to pry the shell to get the shim in, it slid in just fine. Notice how the shell always closes in a little when you screw the hangers back on, i'm just taking up some of that extra slack.

Guess we'll just have to give it some time to find out. If you don't hear any bad news from me by the time your tire arrives, it's probably safe 😉

• Like 3

As I was checking my tire pressure yesterday it came to me that I can access the valve stem easier with the wheel being slightly off center.  I will just assume this was intentional and quit thinking about it. The wheel rides fantastic. :)

I purchased the 16x3" Tire, CST C-1488. Nikola/16X × 1 from eWheels on May 8th ... Love the tire.  I was able to go faster and have smoother ride and more control. Now, after 3 months it is bald.  Which other tire should I get that will be similar but last longer than 3 months?

KSTireCST2.jpg

Edited by DragonFZ
add pic

49 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

I purchased the 16x3" Tire, CST C-1488. Nikola/16X × 1 from eWheels on May 8th ... Love the tire.  I was able to go faster and have smoother ride and more control. Now, after 3 months it is bald.  Which other tire should I get that will be similar but last longer than 3 months?

KSTireCST2.jpg

what psi you ride? I have chyao yang and is like new after 1700Km

13 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

KSTireCST2.jpg

It's a nice and soft, squishy tyre. I have it on my Nik+ and it is getting pretty worn out now after 3000km.
Check out the updated Nikola tyre which is the CST C-1773. None of the riders have that many miles on it yet though so can't say how it wears.. but it rides nice and the faster riders hit their usual 40mph+ on it.

I try it on Tobbe's Nik+ here:

• Like 3

So I bought a chinese 60/100-12 tire (2.50-12 it says) a shop in my country had in stock. Is hard as hell, but after A LOT of work I was finally able to install it. I've worn out the valve screw thread, but it works. I was really hyped as I've only done about 60km in this wheel before it having a tire problem. I REALLY want to ride it before summer ends :-(

Now I noticed another problem. It cannot sit properly in the valve zone as it is touching the valve, and cannot push it more (check the line distance to the rim):

photo_2020-08-18_20-25-57.thumb.jpg.a113a346831db1fca13338b29df39a51.jpg

The problem is a decentered tire that I notice while I'm riding (bumpy ride). I guess that this is the problem I had with the old tire (https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/19139-whats-wrong-with-this-tire-bulge). It was bruishing the valve until it worn out, but because the tire was way softer than this one, was no noticeable while riding.

Now I tried to unmount the tire and make the valve hole a bit bigger (I've broken the LED strip a second time while doing so. Damn) but my tire unmounting tools are really really soft for this tire. They literally bent (below one is the default compared to the bent one):

image.thumb.png.558137bc538c513e05ff30de4c5155bb.png

Now I'm waiting for my new unmounting tools (triple size as my current ones) and let's see what happens.

As a side note, my h666 tire just left China, after more than 2 weeks stuck in China airport. It's something.

And as a side note 2: This is not EUC but my airsoft Tokyo Marui Desert Eagle also broke today. I'm having such a bad day :-/

F*CK THIS.

I just dissasembled and assembled the wheel AGAIN to fix the valve thingy just to notice that the inner tube is losing air. Now to dissasemble it again.

Kill me, really. I'm losing hope I'll ride this wheel comfortably again.

Edited by Llorx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Llorx said:

F*CK THIS.

I just dissasembled and assembled the wheel AGAIN to fix the valve thingy just to notice that the inner tube is losing air. Now to dissasemble it again.

Hang in there! Took me 3 tubes before I figured out how to do it consistently. Motorcycle tyres are a whole different level than what we are used to. Proper motorcycle levers are a must. 

Edit: don't cheap out, grab a set of 3. Many stores have that option. You'll thank me later.

51gkcBglNNL._AC_SY355_.jpg.9ffd8bc93ebbcfa65f1fde7130de88a9.jpg

I find an important tip is to not rely on tyre levers completely. Maybe 80% of the work should be done with bare hands. Pay very much attention to keeping the first part of your bead as deep in the rim as possible. Only the last 20% of work should go to tyre levers. Also I find seating the valve part first by hand helps. Avoid letting the levers anywhere near there. That's where I pinched my tubes twice. 

If all else fails there's always the ziptie method, but I havent had to resort to that yet. 

Good luck and persevere on!

Edited by Tinkererboi
  • Like 2

@Tinkererboi Yeah, got 3 like these (compared to the old ones):

image.thumb.png.ce390fca821335d1737a5061d5f24f55.png

and now the tire part is easy. I hate the unscrew everything (and breaking the damn LED strip each time I do that haha). Today I've soldered it with extra cable and I think is not going to handle well another break.

Yes, after mounting the tire I needed to take it out again around the valve zone (as it was still pushing against the valve) and I noticed that I pinched the tube a bit when doing so. I'm going to stop doing things until I receive my h666. This tire won't fit this wheel and if I continue assembling and dissasembling just to try small adjustements I'm going to break something that I'll regret. Some screws already have the head a bit worn-out and I think they will not handle much more screwing-unscrewing.

9 minutes ago, Llorx said:

@Tinkererboi Yeah, got 3 like these (compared to the old ones):

image.thumb.png.ce390fca821335d1737a5061d5f24f55.png

and now the tire part is easy. I hate the unscrew everything (and breaking the damn LED strip each time I do that haha). Today I've soldered it with extra cable and I think is not going to handle well another break.

Yes, after mounting the tire I needed to take it out again around the valve zone (as it was still pushing against the valve) and I noticed that I pinched the tube a bit when doing so. I'm going to stop doing things until I receive my h666. This tire won't fit this wheel and if I continue assembling and dissasembling just to try small adjustements I'm going to break something that I'll regret. Some screws already have the head a bit worn-out and I think they will not handle much more screwing-unscrewing.

Shame, you are already so close to success. After installing my knobby tire my 16x has been nothing short of amazing. It now climbs grass hills that I couldn't even climb with my own legs. Was riding in the dark the other day and didn't know i was in ankle deep mud until I put my foot down to rest, my other tyre (h-666 clone) was great but this is a whole different level of awesomeness. 

Sure you don't wanna give it one last try? 😏

As for screws, they were trash to begin with, might as well go down to the hardware store and replace them with something decent 😃

55 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Shame, you are already so close to success. After installing my knobby tire my 16x has been nothing short of amazing. It now climbs grass hills that I couldn't even climb with my own legs. Was riding in the dark the other day and didn't know i was in ankle deep mud until I put my foot down to rest, my other tyre (h-666 clone) was great but this is a whole different level of awesomeness. 

Sure you don't wanna give it one last try? 😏

As for screws, they were trash to begin with, might as well go down to the hardware store and replace them with something decent 😃

Damn! I hate you hahahaha. I was really waiting for my h666 to arrive. I guess I'm going to search for another knobby one as this one messes with the valve.

The only thing that pushes me back from buying the tire you have is that I have to do it though superbuy, and the waiting time is a pain in the ass actually. I'm really hating it.

Edited by Llorx

19 minutes ago, Llorx said:

Damn! I hate you hahahaha. I was really waiting for my h666 to arrive. I guess I'm going to search for another knobby one as this one messes with the valve.

That problem happens on the stock tyre too and most people don't even notice it. Tbh mine was a little weird at the valve area too but I managed to lube, massage, and beat it around with a mallet at 7psi until it's reasonably straight now.

Even before fixing the bump I could barely feel any wobbling unless I was at full speed on high quality, smooth, and perfectly flat roads. For any other type of riding it was impossible to tell. Could have been because of the increased high speed stability from knobby tyres as reported in @Kuji Rolls sherman video. Could have been the tyre weight I used. No idea yet.

Have since removed the weight after recentering the tyre, gonna find out if that was even needed to begin with.

I'd say just try to live with it, as long as the wobble doesn't cause clearance issues you are probably good to go.

• Like 1

I’m thinking of buying a 16X, but I’m not sure if I have the time/hand skill necessary to perform a tire change right now. Is the stock tire still that bad? I heard they changed it at some point. Would I just be better off getting a different wheel or could I manage with the stock?

im still new to buying EUC’s as well, is it possible to order an EUC & a tire and ask the distributor to install it for you? I was going to buy from eWheels. Sorry for all the noob questions :rolleyes:

Edited by rexdelmolvo

21 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

I’m thinking of buying a 16X, but I’m not sure if I have the time/hand skill necessary to perform a tire change right now. Is the stock tire still that bad?

Not at all. 16X now seems to come with CST C-1488. It does wear out faster than the rest, but it has a good grip and I like the ride quite a bit. If you get older stock, it will be the CY H-5167, which is a pretty nice tire as well, and won’t wear out as fast.

21 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

is it possible to order an EUC & a tire and ask the distributor to install it for you?

You’d have to ask the seller, not us. I’d imagine that eWheels if anyone would do the change for you though.

25 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

I’m thinking of buying a 16X, but I’m not sure if I have the time/hand skill necessary to perform a tire change right now. Is the stock tire still that bad? I heard they changed it at some point. Would I just be better off getting a different wheel or could I manage with the stock?

im still new to buying EUC’s as well, is it possible to order an EUC & a tire and ask the distributor to install it for you? I was going to buy from eWheels. Sorry for all the noob questions :rolleyes:

I don't think the 16x is shipped with the cx  tyre anymore

44 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

I’m thinking of buying a 16X, but I’m not sure if I have the time/hand skill necessary to perform a tire change right now. Is the stock tire still that bad?

Tbh the current stock tyres are already good enough for 90% of situations and better for all-round riding. However a good knobby tyre opens up a whole new world of possibilities if you are going to experiment with offroading.