KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

13 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

After some testing I'll just say it's not the best tire available.
Wet roads and offroad capabilities are a little bit diappointing. Dry roads no problem.
I eventually went back to the stock tire size.
These tires aren't the perfect size and rub on the valve stem causing it to tear eventually. Happened three times in one month.

Taking your input, I would buy now the Pirelli Angel. Did you try that one also?  

11 hours ago, Paul g said:

Taking your input, I would buy now the Pirelli Angel. Did you try that one also?  

Nope, haven't tried that one!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was far too expensive, but my 'for when the first one finally wears out' replacement H666 arrived today! It's kind of a relief, I have over 3000 miles and one screw hole on the stock H666 and I didn't want to think about a different tire.

US $78.00 | Tire for Kingsong KS16X 16*3.0 tire for KS16X H666 16 inch wheel electric unicycle tyre spare parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKWIsoQ

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

It was far too expensive, but my 'for when the first one finally wears out' replacement H666 arrived today! It's kind of a relief, I have over 3000 miles and one screw hole on the stock H666 and I didn't want to think about a different tire.

US $78.00 | Tire for Kingsong KS16X 16*3.0 tire for KS16X H666 16 inch wheel electric unicycle tyre spare parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKWIsoQ

@Tawpie, did you try the Pirelli Angel?

7 hours ago, Paul g said:

@Tawpie, did you try the Pirelli Angel?

No, partly because of the fitment challenges @Brendan "nog3" Halliday alludes to, but mostly because I need something that is "better than ok" off road. Without having tried any other tires, the H666 has been exactly what the doctor ordered—even for snow. Not slush or the deep fresh stuff, but packed and frozen snow trails. Since tire changes are so "fun", I have not experimented at all.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

No, partly because of the fitment challenges @Brendan "nog3" Halliday alludes to, but mostly because I need something that is "better than ok" off road. Without having tried any other tires, the H666 has been exactly what the doctor ordered—even for snow. Not slush or the deep fresh stuff, but packed and frozen snow trails. Since tire changes are so "fun", I have not experimented at all.

OK. 666 the number of the beast shall be my choice as well 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 2:03 AM, Tokumeino said:

I have received my brand new KS16X. It was assembled on November, the 7th so I guess that it is the latest batch.

It appears that it comes with a new tire, named J-6188 (no brand). Do you know about this one ?

The issue is : with most my weight on one foot, the tire touches the shell and makes noise when turning (30, 35 and 45 PSI... no change). Do you think that the issue will just fade away as the tire gets more km ?

Do the praised H666 tires touch the shell as well ?

Screenshot_20201230-191033~2.png

Yours is same as mine, which my 16x assembled on 2022. The tire brand is Jiluer, 6188 76-305. I put 30 psi on the tire, and I weighted 90 KG, it works well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been slowly putting back my 16X together (because designing some replacement parts to 3D print) and while it's almost done there's a 16" Chao Yang H-666 on the motor right now, never ridden yet.

@Tawpie mentioned that this setup has tramlining which I strongly dislike so I've been trying to find alternatives already. A few days ago I tried a S18 with the IIRC TR-1 tire, which made riding technical off-road (climbing single track with roots and rocks) shockingly easy on my very first try with that wheel.

This time I found and ordered a tire from an unknown brand, with the hope that it'll fit and ride nicely.

The pattern looks great for my use case, and the tire profile is promising as well. Dimensions are listed as 3.00-12, and the knobs are not too tall so maybe it'll fit in the 16X wheel well.

The tire name is VRM-220 from the brand Vee Rubber.

vrm-220_2-1030x1030.jpg

vrm-220_1-1030x1030.jpg

The main distributor for this in Europe seems to be AKF from Germany: https://www.akf-shop.de/simson-ersatzteile/reifen-schlaeuche/reifen/reifen-3-00-x-12-vee-rubber-vrm-220/

And I ordered it from Amazon.se for convenience. Wish me luck!

Anybody else tried that one?

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, supercurio said:

@Tawpie mentioned that this setup has tramlining

It definitely does tramline, but I like all its other attributes so much I bought another (paying much more than I wanted to!). Good luck with the knobby, finding anything in a 12" rim size is "challenging", although Amazon does have something that fits and according to 1 owner, it works quite well. I'll have to search around in back scroll to find it though.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

My 16X is second batch and came with a stock Chao Yang H-5167. It's still the best tire I've had to date. It's not a knobby but for me it was great on all kinds of surfaces and terrain except very slick mud. But it handled road, gravel, hail, ice, snow, dirt, sand, rocks and glass with no major issue. An extra bonus is the added puncture protection. I once rode through the city late at night, and didn't see the broken bottle that somebody had smashed on the pavement. The bottom was lying flat on the ground with a jagged edge sticking straight up. I rolled right onto it at the prefect angle for a deep puncture and it just rolled over it and snapped the glass with nothing but a small nick in the rubber. For me, it made me less worried on long tours on rugged terrain. I never slimed it and it lasted for more than 9000 km before I completely wore through the rubber.

Currently I have a Chao Yang H-5146, as the H-5167 proved impossible to find in Europe. It's ok, but I find it handles slightly less good. I seem to have to lean more on sharp turns. On the previous tire I almost never scraped my pedals and with the new one it happens regularly on tight turns. 

I ended up ordering two H-5167 in the US. I got two because at least this way the price ratio of goods vs. shipping was about 50/50 instead of 25/75. :D

Hi, @Tazarinho! Can you tell me if you tried the Chao Yang H666? Thanks for the info on the H-5167!

• Like 2

@Tazarinho I find the CY 5167 lovely on the 16X too, has been my favorite so far (comparing to the CX 321 with massive tramlining)

Good balance between responsiveness and stability for a 16" wheel especially at the lower speeds of the 16X, pretty supple for a great comfort, quiet, mostly immune to tramlining. A pleasant street tire, however I found it lacking a little for off-road due to the minimal thread, comparatively so-so grip on wet tracks (leafs/rocks/roots)

Still a tire I could recommend to anybody aside from heavy off-road use.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

On 7/17/2022 at 7:29 PM, supercurio said:

VRM-220 from the brand Vee Rubber.

And I ordered it from Amazon.se for convenience. Wish me luck!

I'm sadly reporting on.. lack of luck:

Vee Rubber VRM 200 on 16X

Vee Rubber fit VRM 200 on 16X: pedal hangers

It fits in width but not in height or tire circumference. It's also the most difficult tire I installed so far and I broke all my tire levers trying to remove it.
3-4mm are missing in clearance.

Raising the shell by drilling holes higher and installing a spacer above the pedal hanger would work, as described by SmartWheels.store, but I'm not so confident about the durability of the end result, feeling that the setup might risk to shake itself to death after technical off-road and skate park stress.

Overall the tire is fairly heavy and rigid, I like the pattern, and discovered that it's not meant to be a knobby at all but a "classic" pattern. Many tires implement a variant of it, including the Heidenau K38, also available in 3.00-12 and fairly easy to find.
I think it could have worked well, but instead I'll try to get it off the rim eventually, and return it to the seller.

Since it was almost fitting, there might be other 3.00-12 tires that do even with the same pattern and similar characteristics.

Yesterday I found that someone managed to installed another off-road tire without modification, the MMG 3.00-12 Knobby which has been popular with V12 riders too (which has more clearance).
This thread in another video has another rider who also installed it on his own 16X.
There's even a positive review on Amazon.com for it on the 16X.

For me it'll be all about turning behavior, predictable steering, cornering and (lack of) tramlining.

So I ordered that from the US to EU and again, and will report how it turns out!

Edited by supercurio
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

I'm sadly reporting on.. lack of luck:

Vee Rubber VRM 200 on 16X

Vee Rubber fit VRM 200 on 16X: pedal hangers

It fits in width but not in height or tire circumference. It's also the most difficult tire I installed so far and I broke all my tire levers trying to remove it.
3-4mm are missing in clearance.

Raising the shell by drilling holes higher and installing a spacer above the pedal hanger would work, as described by SmartWheels.store, but I'm not so confident about the durability of the end result, feeling that the setup might risk to shake itself to death after technical off-road and skate park stress.

Overall the tire is fairly heavy and rigid, I like the pattern, and discovered that it's not meant to be a knobby at all but a "classic" pattern. Many tires implement a variant of it, including the Heidenau K38, also available in 3.00-12 and fairly easy to find.
I think it could have worked well, but instead I'll try to get it off the rim eventually, and return it to the seller.

Since it was almost fitting, there might be other 3.00-12 tires that do even with the same pattern and similar characteristics.

Yesterday I found that someone managed to installed another off-road tire without modification, the MMG 3.00-12 Knobby which has been popular with V12 riders too (which has more clearance).
This thread in another video has another rider who also installed it on his own 16X.
There's even a positive review on Amazon.com for it on the 16X.

For me it'll be all about turning behavior, predictable steering, cornering and (lack of) tramlining.

So I ordered that from the US to EU and again, and will report how it turns out!

I wonder could you not simply "rise" whole 16x body upwards? Using simple steel plate? Screw the screws from inside of the wheel well into the plastick holes and put nut's from this side "in image"?

Then simply drill "new" holes into so said "plate", so you could screw the "plate" itself to "L" hangers? Whole euc body would sit 2-4cm higher.

Mending-Plates-Repair-Fixing-Joining-Sta

Something like this: "RED" is so said plate.

Untitled.png

Edited by Funky

@Funky it would hold it higher, but the all the stress would be on the screws and (fairly weak) screw holes in the inner shell, instead of the inner shell resting, aligned and fully supported by the whole pedal hanger as intended.

I know about an MSP which was raised similarly to how you described. After a few months, it failed by cracking the inner shell as expected.
Instead, the screws are only meant to hold the inner shell against the pedal hangers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, supercurio said:

@Funky it would hold it higher, but the all the stress would be on the screws and (fairly weak) screw holes in the inner shell, instead of the inner shell resting, aligned and fully supported by the whole pedal hanger as intended.

I know about an MSP which was raised similarly to how you described. After a few months, it failed by cracking the inner shell as expected.
Instead, the screws are only meant to hold the inner shell against the pedal hangers.

Add "2" plates so plastic is sandwiched in middle? :D Then it would be the same as screwed to "L" hangers. (Maybe even stronger, because the plastic is in middle.. But over tightening the screws could crack the plastic.)

Edited by Funky

3 minutes ago, Funky said:

Add "2" plates so plastic is sandwiched in middle? :D 

Hehe. If someone was making raised pedal hangers for the 16X I'd buy.

So that wouldn't raise only the shell but the pedals as well, for extra clearance - a desirable characteristic for technical off-road.

21 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Hehe. If someone was making raised pedal hangers for the 16X I'd buy.

So that wouldn't raise only the shell but the pedals as well, for extra clearance - a desirable characteristic for technical off-road.

Nah pedals would not rise, because they are still on "axle".. Only shell would rise.

Could even add 18" rim/motor. <<<<<<

This should work:

1.png

Simple "L" hanger extenders.. You can rise the shell by 2 holes, or by 1 hole size. If you go past 2 holes - you can go high as you want. :D (Ofc if you got short legs - something will be tickling your balls.) :D 

Edited by Funky

56 minutes ago, Funky said:

Nah pedals would not rise, because they are still on "axle".. Only shell would rise.

Could even add 18" rim/motor. <<<<<<

This should work:

1.png

Simple "L" hanger extenders.. You can rise the shell by 2 holes, or by 1 hole size. If you go past 2 holes - you can go high as you want. :D (Ofc if you got short legs - something will be tickling your balls.) :D 

Original 😄

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

It is time to replace my 16X tire with another H-666. I have changed my S18 tire before without issue, but am stuck with the 16X. The issue is getting the valve in with the new tube. I have a V12 tube that ewheels is sent me but the valve stem has a different angle than the original. I can’t get it in the rim opening no matter how hard I try. Any suggestions before I send the wheel back to ewheels to get the tire replaced?

In the photo you can see the difference in tube angle. I can’t use the old tube as it is ripped. 

28A95F5D-B09C-4A82-A5B6-5210BDD6CD21.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

exchange the tube? (try to either return the new tube or ask eWheels which one you they would use)

I checked with them. This is apparently the new tube they use. I think I’m just going to send the motor back to them and have them do it for me. Only so many hours in the day…

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 7:44 AM, Patton250 said:

So you are saying you know for a fact had other tires been available they would’ve use those instead? 

who knows what for a fact, these days. If you know business though (esp. chinese business) then his statement is very much in tune with reality