KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

10 hours ago, Pengloong said:

@Jack King Song

Hi Jack,  I am sorry to bother you. I have a question please. 

Kingsong 16X assembled on 07.09.2019, was that the Batch 1 or Batch 2 release?  What tire was that batch fitted with please? 

Thank you in anticipation of your reply. 

Weng 

Reaching out to Kingsong 16X owners @Unventor, @stephen, @travsformation, @Mike Sacristan,  I am sorry to bother you guys. I am looking for some advice please. 

I have the opportunity of purchasing a secondhand Kingsong 16X.  It was assembled on 07.09.2019, I wonder if that was the Batch 1 or Batch 2  production ?  I understand there were some issues on the first batch. Is there anything I should be concerned with?  What tire was that batch fitted with please? I thank you in anticipation of your reply.

I world ask what version of control board the wheel has. IF it is version 1.4 it is proberly 1st or 2nd batch. Looking at the date I world expert it to be either 1st or 2nd batch.

There are 3 major issues in 1st batch. I am not sure all were fixed to 2nd batch. 

1) weather/dust proofing.  It can enter at front where powerbutton module is. Dust enters at pedal arms and rear at mudguard.

2) control board layout made issues. At version 1.5 this should have been fixed.

3) valve hole in the rim was too close to tire. You will feel a little uneveness at high psi and at speed. 

My KS16X had all these issues. I got the first 2 fixed. As I got a new tire (CYT vs CX) it isn't as big and issue with point 3. 

If you are getting a good deal or not I can't say. All of these things are fixable.

The tricky part it is hard to see how battery has been treated and you can have periodic issues that doesn't show when you inspect the wheel the first time. 

There is a lot of trust involved riding an EUC and also buying them as second hand. That is something you as buyer need to accept. Don't let greed in control. If it is too cheap or too good to be true deal. It is likely to be some issue you have to deal with. 

Personally I have a very hard time buying an EUC as 2nd hand. And selling one too. I sold my V8 as spare parts to a ride buddy. But I was very clear why and what he could expect.  He also had a V8. Now he fixed it up and has been riding it without any issues. I sold it for 150€ and he spend 250€ to get new outer shell parts and new lift button. It was a result of a top speed crash and later slow speed crash where wheel got stuck in a deep water filled pot hole. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pengloong said:

Reaching out to Kingsong 16X owners @Unventor, @stephen, @travsformation, @Mike Sacristan,  I am sorry to bother you guys. I am looking for some advice please. 

I have the opportunity of purchasing a secondhand Kingsong 16X.  It was assembled on 07.09.2019, I wonder if that was the Batch 1 or Batch 2  production ?  I understand there were some issues on the first batch. Is there anything I should be concerned with?  What tire was that batch fitted with please? I thank you in anticipation of your reply.

I have the very first batch 16x never had any issues with it , the first batch comes with the CX tyre which i absolutely love (some don't 🤔)  where are you buying it from? Can you test ride it? Both batch wheels seem to be ok just on some first batch you need to do a usb patch and that's all , i wouldn't worry too much if it rides it will be fine , if there's big scratches on it maybe he's had a fall ,  not much can go wrong, there's only a control board/batteries/motor/tyre , WE always think there's something up buying second hand ,, don't worry too much you might miss out  ,, can you test ride it? Is it a good buy?

Edited by stephen

34 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I world ask what version of control board the wheel has. IF it is version 1.4 it is proberly 1st or 2nd batch. Looking at the date I world expert it to be either 1st or 2nd batch.

There are 3 major issues in 1st batch. I am not sure all were fixed to 2nd batch. 

1) weather/dust proofing.  It can enter at front where powerbutton module is. Dust enters at pedal arms and rear at mudguard.

2) control board layout made issues. At version 1.5 this should have been fixed.

3) valve hole in the rim was too close to tire. You will feel a little uneveness at high psi and at speed. 

I wouldn't consider them major issues

1) i don't have any dust in mine or water droplets and not many people ride in rain

2) both control boards are ok,, one of them just needs the patch to be fixed in most cases

3) I've fitted tyres what are uneven not seated propely at speeds it doesn't course to much concern probably depending on experience 

I'd say these are minor issues to look for ,

If he is a sensible rider at 25 mph i wouldn't worry at all the 16x is a good wheel and trustworthy just be careful at the 30mph limit where you can easy over power if not careful because of the good torque 👍👍

Edited by stephen

I think the only real danger when buying an EUC second hand is the costly battery. We have seen that just an uneducated charging behavior can ruin the battery in 2000km / 6 months.

But if the wheel charges up to the full specified voltage (+/- 0.5V), the battery should still have a good lifetime left to be used.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

We have seen that just an uneducated charging behavior can ruin the battery in 2000km / 6 months.

There seem to be lots of opinions about The Right Way to charge the battery...

Please explain (again)

-Z-

1 minute ago, Zwheeler said:

There seem to be lots of opinions about The Right Way to charge the battery...

Please explain (again)

-Z-

A lot of people just change to full , don't worry too much about it

Please let's keep this on topic. 2nd hand sale or buying should be in a tire thread same goes for charging discussion. 

Yes I am guilty too not staying 100% on topic. But my answer had to do with both rim and tire. But I shouldn't have answered here in the way I did. My fault. 

So please create new topic and tag those you like to see it so a separate discussion.

@stephen, @Unventor, @mrelwood,

Guys, thank you all for your good advices,  I do appreciate that very much. I do feel better informed, such a great forum. @stephen, this wheel hasn't come on the market yet but it was brought to my attention by an friend of a friend. I am hoping to purchase it before it enters the market. I will update as and when... all fingers crossed. Thanks again all. 

My 16x is from the same batch 190907, was equiped with CYT (chaoyang) very good tire! After 5000km the wheel still perform like new. It was on 1.07, I tried 1.05 and finally use 2.02.

No problem at all what so ever. Some dust went inside but I mainly ride on trails. Must be 1.5 motherboard but cannot confirm as I still not have opened it.  It is a fantastic wheel!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fschoova said:

My 16x is from the same batch 190907, was equiped with CYT (chaoyang) very good tire! After 5000km the wheel still perform like new. It was on 1.07, I tried 1.05 and finally use 2.02.

No problem at all what so ever. Some dust went inside but I mainly ride on trails. Must be 1.5 motherboard but cannot confirm as I still not have opened it.  It is a fantastic wheel!

@fschoova, thank you for your feedback, it is reassuring. I am glad that you are happy with your wheel. I am still working on mine and hope to be able to join the 16X Club soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heya, has someone tried any offroad tire for this wheel? I saw @mrelwood talking about ChaoYang H-666 which seems kinda a nice mix for offroad and paved road riding, but I'm main offroad so I prefer to try a knobbed one (which I guess is not a problem to ride on paved roads. Just a newbie here).

EDIT: Found it ^^

Really nice review. I think I'm going to stick to this tire, just because of the paved/offroad mix. Let's see if I can fit one in my 16x.

Edited by Llorx
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Llorx said:

Heya, has someone tried any offroad tire for this wheel?

Have thoroughly enjoyed my H-666 clone (softer compound, no gyro effect) from another manufacturer for more than half a year now.

However after gaining more experience and switching to russian-style powerpads I feel that I would no longer be bothered by gyro or speed wobbles. So I began thirsting for full knobby tyres too. Something like a 2.50-12 or 2.75-12.

Still haven't found anything narrower than the H-626 which is 3.00-12. Anyone tried fitting this on before? Temptation temptation

• Like 1

Recently, when looking for 2.75-12 tires, I find some stores talking about 60/100-12 tires or 80/100-12 tires. I'm not sure about this numeration. Seems like 60/80mm wide tires, but stock ks16x is 76mm wide tire. Do someone hapen to know something about this? Maybe you have tried a 60/100 or 80/100 and it fits.

Edited by Llorx

fu植本段内容$tkbB1ztznrb$到👉淘tao寳👈或点几炼接https://m.tb.cn/h.VsiY9qG?sm=3e7c6a 至瀏lan嘂..【小越野轮胎阿波罗110小摩托越野胎60/70/80/90/100-12/14/17/19寸】Screenshot_20200721-003756.thumb.jpg.ed3bbbfc681ab1824c99c28ddd6ca3f1.jpg

Just found this. Reckon it will fit? I know taobao is mostly inaccessible to the rest of the world but I'm sure if this works, there would be an easy business opportunity and plenty of english speaking chinese vendors would be willing to capitalise on it by exporting to the rest of the world. 

3 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

fu植本段内容$tkbB1ztznrb$到👉淘tao寳👈或点几炼接https://m.tb.cn/h.VsiY9qG?sm=3e7c6a 至瀏lan嘂..【小越野轮胎阿波罗110小摩托越野胎60/70/80/90/100-12/14/17/19寸】Screenshot_20200721-003756.thumb.jpg.ed3bbbfc681ab1824c99c28ddd6ca3f1.jpg

Just found this. Reckon it will fit? I know taobao is mostly inaccessible to the rest of the world but I'm sure if this works, there would be an easy business opportunity and plenty of english speaking chinese vendors would be willing to capitalise on it by exporting to the rest of the world. 

By photo specs, it should fit.

• Like 1

Can't handle this anymore. I'm done.

Just bought a h666, don't know if clone or if still has stock left (or if sends me another tire). Let's see what I receive. From here: https://www.ebuy7.com/item/543521525326

Edit:

image.png.576fdc1ec075cd41f8584d772114ef10.png

I guess is fake... do you have experience with this? I paid with PayPal so I'm partially protected just in case it never arrives.

Edited by Llorx

@Llorx

27 minutes ago, Llorx said:

By photo specs, it should fit.

Welll without shipping only costs like 6 US buckaroos so I might try one if I ever need to fill a shipment. Will post the results if nobody beats me to the chase by then. 

Good luck with your H-666! I wouldn't worry too much if it's a clone. In fact I went out of my way to source a non-chaoyang one on purpose just to avoid the dreaded gyro and get a grippier (but less durable) compound.

Edited by Tinkererboi
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Llorx said:

@mrelwood oh, when are you receiving them? Will love one of your tire reviews haha.

Thanks! Should have them in a week or so.

2 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Screenshot_20200721-003756.thumb.jpg.ed3bbbfc681ab1824c99c28ddd6ca3f1.jpg

Just found this. Reckon it will fit?

Probably would. But the distantly spaced knobs could make the ride a bit unstable.

2 hours ago, Llorx said:

Can't handle this anymore. I'm done.

Just bought a h666

Congrats! I’m sure you’ll like it. The ad refers to the specific H-666, so you should actually get the exact same tire.

2 hours ago, Llorx said:

I guess is fake... do you have experience with this?

I have no reason to believe it would be a fake. Chao Yang makes several versions of each tire (puncture resistance levels etc), I’m not at all surprised if they also make an actual tubeless one. Or even if the exact same 16x3.0 tire in 2.75-12 designation is just labeled tubeless for motorcycle use... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone knows if the rotation direction of the 1st batch CX321 matters in some way? Or is it mountable omnidirectional?

What is the purpose of the green stripe positioned originally on the left Hand side?

Thanks a lot 

Cheers, Borg 

6 minutes ago, Borg666 said:

Does anyone knows if the rotation direction of the 1st batch CX321 matters in some way? Or is it mountable omnidirectional? / Keep direction respect rotation by manufacturer!

What is the purpose of the green stripe positioned originally on the left Hand side? / only marking nothing special dont worry 

Thanks a lot / you welcome

Cheers, Borg  / 💖

21 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

Unfortunately my dealer mounted the tire the other way around, means, actually the stripe is on the right hand side now.... :blink1: