KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

On 8/23/2019 at 2:35 PM, eddiemoy said:

Nice!  Does it have any gyro feel to the wheel?  Good that they went with the CYT.  What is funny is the first batch with the CX321 ties will be rare now.  Anyone looking for the gyro feel will be out of luck!  Good thing I still have that tire.

So tire goes good on the tarmac 

No gyro effect could be felt 

Still going to be replaced for a decent off road tire as thats were im at 80% of the time when riding 

20190824_183910_resize_16.jpg

20190824_183906_resize_91.jpg

1 hour ago, Gaz Bon said:

So tire goes good on the tarmac 

No gyro effect could be felt 

Still going to be replaced for a decent off road tire as thats were im at 80% of the time when riding

Have you tried the tire off-road yet? I’d ve interested to hear how it compares to factory-installed tires on other EUCs. The prominent grooves do look promising.

34 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Not on mine it wasn't.

Firmware 1.0.2

That is interesting! Is this your first KingSong? Could it be that you have ridden through the ”learning” perioid with another wheel registered to your KS account?

6 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

That is interesting! Is this your first KingSong? Could it be that you have ridden through the ”learning” perioid with another wheel registered to your KS account?

Nope. First KS wheel.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Have you tried the tire off-road yet? I’d ve interested to hear how it compares to factory-installed tires on other EUCs. The prominent grooves do look promising

This tire may be ok for most but after riding my MSX with this knobbly tire ,the difference and confidence in the way you ride is huge

So on the hunt for a 12-2.50 maybe 2.75

20190730_204922_resize_87.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Ok I can finally report back wrt the new tyre.

I can confirm that it has a lot less wobbles under braking. Now if I brake hard and I lock my knees I can nearly fully eliminate wobbling. That was impossible with the previous one. With this tyre I have the confidence to ride in traffic. It seems a bit more nimble and thus less stable at high speeds (I presume because of the shape), but overall I didn't really need any time to adapt to it. 

For me the swap is a succes and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Wait til it breaks in, it gets really good.

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Ok I can finally report back wrt the new tyre.

I can confirm that it has a lot less wobbles under braking. Now if I brake hard and I lock my knees I can nearly fully eliminate wobbling. That was impossible with the previous one. With this tyre I have the confidence to ride in traffic. It seems a bit more nimble and thus less stable at high speeds (I presume because of the shape), but overall I didn't really need any time to adapt to it. 

For me the swap is a succes and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

You’re saying it’s not as stable at 30 mph? 

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

You’re saying it’s not as stable at 30 mph? 

I hardly ever ride faster than 25mph, my cruising speed is just below that (23-24), sometimes I do parts at 25-26mph. But how shall I say it, I can make it wobble easier than the previous tyre at those speeds, so in a sense it is less stable. Does it mean it's problematic? No, not at all. Maybe "unstable" isn't the right way of putting it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

OK so what is the consensus here? What tire have you guys tried out that’s better than the stock tire? CST?  Any reviews on YouTube with a different tire?

CST C-1488 (”Nikola” tire) and the ChaoYang H-5167 (2nd batch 16X tire) are the main contenders for a replacement. While I haven’t seen specific reviews on either, the comments seem to support that the gyro effect is (almost) entirely gone, and that the wheel behaves in a familiar, expected manner.

Someone said though that the C-1488 is too unstable for his expectations of a 3.0” tire. In my experience the model indeed behaves somewhat like a narrower tire, but it may be a preferable trait in a 3” tire for some riders.

I believe @eddiemoy and @chrisjunlee at least have been rigorously testing and comparing the 1st batch original and the CST.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I believe @eddiemoy and @chrisjunlee at least have been rigorously testing and comparing the 1st batch original and the CST.

@eddiemoy and @Hsiang IIRC.

My experience with these tires are on the 16X (1st batch, 650 miles), and the Nikola 100V (CST, 220 miles).

I personally love the gyro effect of the 1st batch 16X, but it's a harsher ride.

The CST is very cushy, but it requires precision balance to go fast, which is exhausting compared to the 16X. I've taken the Nikola up to 41mph.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

My experience with these tires are on the 16X (1st batch, 650 miles), and the Nikola 100V (CST, 220 miles).

I personally love the gyro effect of the 1st batch 16X, but it's a harsher ride.

The CST is very cushy, but it requires precision balance to go fast, which is exhausting compared to the 16X. I've taken the Nikola up to 41mph.

I just got my 100v Nikola Plus this afternoon and I think I know what you mean. Once I hit 22 mph it felt unstable to me. Now granted I’ve only ridden it for 20 miles tonight but still i’m not sure I will feel comfortable going 41 mph on it.   I feel comfortable cruising at 30 mph on the 16X.  You may have something here. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

The more I read about the trade-offs of the CST and CYT tires, the more I want to stick with the stock tire.  It's really getting better and better the more I ride - I'm no longer on a mission to switch.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 

• Like 1

I'm glad I switched. Braking confidence has increased, and I don't feel any downsides to switching. I have the CST.

10 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

The CST is very cushy,

Yeah, that's what I noticed too. Which is weird because it's supposed to be stiffer on the sides than the original one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had my first ride today with my 16x, stock tire with +- 30psi.

Breaking hard, it definitely wobbles.

Accelerating at +30km/h, it can wobble too, but this depends on leg position.

I'm going to keep the stock tire for the moment, let it wear a bit and see if it gets better.

On my 16b I have a kenda tire, do they produce a 16x3.0 tire ?

16 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I just got my 100v Nikola Plus this afternoon and I think I know what you mean. Once I hit 22 mph it felt unstable to me. Now granted I’ve only ridden it for 20 miles tonight but still i’m not sure I will feel comfortable going 41 mph on it.   I feel comfortable cruising at 30 mph on the 16X.  You may have something here. 

lower the tire pressure.  will be more stable at higher speeds, less twitchy.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarpMudd said:

The more I read about the trade-offs of the CST and CYT tires, the more I want to stick with the stock tire.  It's really getting better and better the more I ride - I'm no longer on a mission to switch.

I like the stock CX tire after I got used to it.  But I only hate it because I have other wheels and I don't like the feeling of adjusting even if it takes 5 minutes.  But I miss the CX tire.  It was definitely more stable at high speeds than the CST tire.  I'm still waiting for the CYT tire.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Try a lower tire pressure.  I find it easier to go fast on the Nik+ vs the 16X.  But I first has the Nik+ at 18psi, too many braking wobbles, was a little too low.  Upped it to 24psi, much better.  stable at high speeds, but not as stable as the CX tire on the 16X with the gyro effect.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

lower the tire pressure.  will be more stable at higher speeds, less twitchy.  

Thanks Eddie! How low do you think I can go on it? Would 15 psi be OK? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Try a lower tire pressure.  I find it easier to go fast on the Nik+ vs the 16X.  But I first has the Nik+ at 18psi, too many braking wobbles, was a little too low.  Upped it to 24psi, much better.  stable at high speeds, but not as stable as the CX tire on the 16X with the gyro effect.  

Wow, we're around the same weight right (137 lbs)?

I'm running 28 PSI now, and it feels so cushy I thought it was the lower limit. I'll give 24 PSI a shot.

On another note, is higher pressure safer at higher speeds? I have this gut feeling that higher PSI is safer when going fast. 

35 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I wish we had a weight portion to our side profile, since I keep on forgetting. What's your weight again? 

IMHO the CST PSI = CX + 8. As in, CST @28 PSI feels ~ CX @20 PSI

Edited by chrisjunlee

9 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

I'm running 28 PSI now, and it feels so cushy I thought it was the lower limit. I'll give 24 PSI a shot.

On another note, is higher pressure safer at higher speeds? I have this gut feeling that higher PSI is safer when going fast. 

I wish we had a weight portion to our side profile, since I keep on forgetting. What's your weight again? 

I’m 162

15 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

I feel lower psi is safer for me as it reduces the twitchy feeling.  But I'm sure when you get used to it, it may become less twitchy.  But i also feel the lower psi absorbs so much more, so when i'm going fast and i hit a bump, it isn't as bad at lower psi.  But the best is bent knees of course.

49 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

If you are 162, what are you running now?  I'm at 24psi and i'm 145lbs on the Nik +

Edited by eddiemoy