KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I just hated having to switch back and forth and you feel like you have to learn everything over again and again

That’s exactly why i want to switch to the CYT.

For the last 4 weeks i have only ridden the X, today i hopped on my XL for a ride and it took me a while to get comfy again, nope don’t like that, don’t want that.

But i really enjoyed the ride on the XL today, the tire was glued to the street, the XL is a great wheel.

Edited by RoadRunner
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I do like the CX tire for it's unique feel once I stopped hating it and got used to it.  I just hated having to switch back and forth and you feel like you have to learn everything over again and again.  This is the time it takes for your brain to swap programs.  I hate the feeling of adjusting.

Either I have all my wheels with gyro or all non gyro.  I feel it is easier to just have all the wheels non gyro.  I do feel the gyro tire makes the 16X more stable at higher speeds.  But it is still a little less nimble than the CYT tire even if you have the correct technique.  Never as nimble as the CYT.  I like the balance on the CYT.  The CST is inbetween the CX and CYT, can't make up its mind.  I know some swear by it, but the tire isn't for me.  I either want full gyro or no gyro, not something inbetween.  Kind of the V10F of wheels, not good at anything.  

Longer response than you anticipated?

Reading this, I think I want to switch to the CYT for my Nikola.  That adjustment period each time I switch between the 18L and the Nikola is annoying, and even once adjusted, I never feel like the Nikola handles high speed cornering the way the 18L does.  With the 18L, it's effortless, with the Nikola, I have to really throw my body to the inside to turn it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neurokinetik said:

Reading this, I think I want to switch to the CYT for my Nikola.  That adjustment period each time I switch between the 18L and the Nikola is annoying, and even once adjusted, I never feel like the Nikola handles high speed cornering the way the 18L does.  With the 18L, it's effortless, with the Nikola, I have to really throw my body to the inside to turn it.

yes, i really didn't like the CYT tire when it was over inflated during the demo ride, then when i got it to test, i was able to lower it and make it feel normal to me.  Normal means without having to learn anything new, just get on it and ride.  it still felt super nimble at lower speeds and was not twitchy at higher speeds.  felt like a better version of the 18L.  much more responsive.  but you have to find your tire pressure.  make the wheel very intuitive, never twitchy or squirrely.. 

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

but you have to find your tire pressure.  make the wheel very intuitive, never twitchy or squirrely.. 

I have been riding around 30 psi on my stock 1st batch tire (227Miles as of right now at this coffee shop.) I am 185 lbs with 5-15 lbs of gear depending on whats in my pack. I still get a twitchy or squirrelly actions every now and then usually when on a groove or something. Maybe I should try going lower with my PSI

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prasket said:

I have been riding around 30 psi on my stock 1st batch tire (227Miles as of right now at this coffee shop.) I am 185 lbs with 5-15 lbs of gear depending on whats in my pack. I still get a twitchy or squirrelly actions every now and then usually when on a groove or something. Maybe I should try going lower with my PSI

I’m at 18 accounting for the tire heating up when I torture it a bit to 20 psi.  Works excellent  for me. I’m 145lbs. 

On 9/6/2019 at 10:03 AM, eddiemoy said:

I do like the CX tire for it's unique feel once I stopped hating it and got used to it.  I just hated having to switch back and forth and you feel like you have to learn everything over again and again.  This is the time it takes for your brain to swap programs.  I hate the feeling of adjusting.

FWIW, I'm ~2 months into EUCs, and have no trouble switching between the Nikola and the 16X. It literally takes me under 5 seconds to adjust to (4 seconds rolling it back and forth as I do with all wheels, then 1 second to roll off and turn onto the curb). So for those worrying about this, it is a skill you quickly pick up. 

I store my 16X at work as my errand wheel, and I switch between the wheels at least once a day. But even after a weekend of not riding the 16X, I have no issue switching. Point being: the switching is not a friction point to me, and the CX tire's gyro effect is overwhelmingly worth it to me.

What you're describing about taking 5-10 minutes to switch, is what I go through whenever I switch between the 10" mten3 and the 16" Nikola/16X.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

FWIW, I'm ~2 months into EUCs, and have no trouble switching between the Nikola and the 16X. It literally takes me under 5 seconds to adjust to (4 seconds rolling it back and forth as I do with all wheels, then 1 second to roll off and turn onto the curb). So for those worrying about this, it is a skill you quickly pick up. 

I store my 16X at work as my errand wheel, and I switch between the wheels at least once a day. But even after a weekend of not riding the 16X, I have no issue switching. Point being: the switching is not a friction point to me, and the CX tire's gyro effect is overwhelmingly worth it to me.

What you're describing about taking 5-10 minutes to switch, is what I go through whenever I switch between the 10" mten3 and the 16" Nikola/16X.

Everyone is different.  You may have issues switching from mten3 but not gyro to non gyro.  Others may have opposite experience.  I’ve not confirmed if swapping often removes or improved the time to adjust.  I just know I don’t like it and I like to ride my wheels one way and I’m pretty good at it that one way.  

Some people ride a long time but have no improvement in their riding skill, some people ride a short time and ride really well.  It depends on the person.  Maybe you are just a natural.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Some people ride a long time but have no improvement in their riding skill, some people ride a short time and ride really well.  It depends on the person.  Maybe you are just a natural.  

Nah, I’m not a natural.

After the the sheer miles I’ve put on them, I guess I’ve recognized how similar they really are. The main thing that’s different is the gyro set point.

On the Nikola CST, at 28 PSI, the gyro set point is 33 mph for me. That’s the point where I can just relax my stabilizers and go limp. 

For the 16X CS tire, at 22 psi, that set point is much lower, 15-20ish?

Those are also the speeds where I can start doing hard heel weighted carves.

I changed my tire to the one provided by @Hibiki Mr.H yesterday. It was pretty easy to get it on using just my hands.

Unfortunately, why wheel is currently dead, as the controller board transplant was not successful. It died when I updated it from v1.00 to v1.06.

So, you won't be hearing my feedback on this tire for a while.

Just now, Jon Stern said:

So, you won't be hearing my feedback on this tire for a while.

Ouch!  that sucks.  Why did you need to replace the controller board to begin with?  I'm guessing the old controller board is not reusable?

Curious as I think this is the first internal part that I've heard needing a replacement.  I hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

3 minutes ago, Genghis said:

Ouch!  that sucks.  Why did you need to replace the controller board to begin with?  I'm guessing the old controller board is not reusable?

Curious as I think this is the first internal part that I've heard needing a replacement.  I hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

It was an attempt to resolve my random pedal tilt issue. That seems to be almost entirely fixed with the Bluetooth update, but then got worse again from v1.05 firmware.

I might put the old board back in, but it'll still have the pedal tilt issue.

2 hours ago, cyfur said:

I swapped in the ChaoYang tire from @Hibiki Mr.H this past weekend (arrived in like, less than a week. crazy) and proceeded to lose some shell screws and a pedal set screw in the process. Had a shell replacement from Jason also installed; I cracked one side after hitting speedbump (don't wheel and use your phone at the same time). Was able to go around a little bit last night and this morning with the new tire (and a jank pedal screw fix), and it just feels TOTALLY different from the original tire. I only have a V8 to compare with, so my best description is that the 16X now feels like a heavier and more powerful V8. Extremely nimble. I don't know what it is exactly, but everything, even visuals, seem "lighter".  Tight turns are super easy, just kinda falls into it. I always thought the "tank" like feeling I had originally was from the weight of the wheel, but turns out it was the tire.

I kinda like both for some reason...

Have you tried going 31 mph with the new tire? 

5 hours ago, cyfur said:

I swapped in the ChaoYang tire from @Hibiki Mr.H this past weekend (arrived in like, less than a week. crazy) and proceeded to lose some shell screws and a pedal set screw in the process. Had a shell replacement from Jason also installed; I cracked one side after hitting speedbump (don't wheel and use your phone at the same time). Was able to go around a little bit last night and this morning with the new tire (and a jank pedal screw fix), and it just feels TOTALLY different from the original tire. I only have a V8 to compare with, so my best description is that the 16X now feels like a heavier and more powerful V8. Extremely nimble. I don't know what it is exactly, but everything, even visuals, seem "lighter".  Tight turns are super easy, just kinda falls into it. I always thought the "tank" like feeling I had originally was from the weight of the wheel, but turns out it was the tire.

I kinda like both for some reason...

Thank you for sharing. It means a lot to me. :)

I also thought the wheel's nimbleness is determined by:
weight of wheel, wheel diameter, weight distribution(top heavy or bottom heavy), tire width.

But I didn't realize the tire thread pattern and softness of the compound make such HUGE difference until I tried.

@mrelwood explains very well in his post (actually on previous page of this thread....)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Well going 31mph on the current CX is a dream. Easy.  Scary easy actually. Before you know it you’re going 30 mph.  I don’t feel that way at all with the CST on my Nik+.  Very unstable for me once I get past 23 mph. 

I think that's the problem the ks16x sets off to 30mph in no time and you don't notice cause it's stable 😬

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 8:21 AM, Gustesta said:

I'll eventually post here where to buy the CYT tire.  I talked to that seller to buy and stock those (for anyone interested):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XCW8SCK?ref=myi_title_dp

This shows to be the H-5167 ChaoYang. Is this the tire they are putting on the 16x now? 

25 minutes ago, prasket said:

This shows to be the H-5167 ChaoYang. Is this the tire they are putting on the 16x now? 

Yes. Although I guess KS is (or will be) using the CX alongside with the H-5167.

• Like 2