Jason McNeil

Choose the finish you'd prefer on your 16X  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which 16X finish do you prefer?

• Carbon-fiber with dark gray side panels
    • Carbon-fiber with all black side panels
    • Black matte with dark gray side panels
    • Black matte with all black side panels

I'm also opposed to the fake carbon finish. Although I like the tonality of it in the photos, I've never seen faux fiber in practice that looks anything but tacky. I dig the contrasting side panels. What's consensus on mat black finishes for wheels? Do they stand up to wear Ok, or are they prone to attracting scratches and dust? 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:33 AM, Unventor said:

I almost forgot about cover too... But I guess we have a plan B for that or @The Fat Unicyclist

We will have you covered...   :facepalm:

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

We are planning to extend the range of models covered, including the 16X.   ;)

That’s excellent news ! You’ll need more hobbits to keep up with production. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeff Earl said:

I'm also opposed to the fake carbon finish. Although I like the tonality of it in the photos, I've never seen faux fiber in practice that looks anything but tacky. I dig the contrasting side panels. What's consensus on mat black finishes for wheels? Do they stand up to wear Ok, or are they prone to attracting scratches and dust? 

every matte black wheel i have ever had has remained as pristine ad the day i got it.. gloss plastic will always look terrible up close unless its brand new but the matte black rubber always looks as it did when you got it.. even when someone scratches it deep its still much less obvious than anything else

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

We are planning to extend the range of models covered, including the 16X.   ;)

i will definitely be wanting one of those! i absolutely love the fantastic cover you made for my 16S :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

every matte black wheel i have ever had has remained as pristine ad the day i got it.. gloss plastic will always look terrible up close unless its brand new but the matte black rubber always looks as it did when you got it.. even when someone scratches it deep its still much less obvious than anything else

i will definitely be wanting one of those! i absolutely love the fantastic cover you made for my 16S :D

Good to know. My vote for the black matte with dark gray side panels stands. Hope the inevitable delays are minimal--I'm jonesing for my next wheel.

8 hours ago, fbhb said:

No need for more Hobbits! @The Fat Unicyclist is on to it and has now got a Laser cutting machine on the payroll.

Ah..... your right! Nice informative video. I would like to see Kevin’s entire fabrication process sometime especially the skilled sewing.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, Jason McNeil said:

One of the unresolved topics is the color of ornamental side pads. I rather like the dark grey pads to give the Wheel some contrast, from the monotony of the all black, but it is still somewhat in the air. What do you guys think? Put in a vote if you have an opinion. 

uc?export=view&id=1eEkUz13jpOVgW53hfJFpC

In order of preference:

4th one pictured

1st one

2nd one

3rd one

I like the matte black shell and black pads would look good with it.  The matte black carbon fiber finish with black pads looks better than the others but would still prefer regular rubberized matte black shell and pads over faux carbon fiber but it Looks similar to the z10.  Otherwise the original look of matte black shell with grey pads is okay.  Not too keen on the faux carbon fiber finish with the silver look or greyish silver look.

Edited by Heyzeus

18 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ah..... your right! Nice informative video. I would like to see Kevin’s entire fabrication process sometime especially the skilled sewing.

We aren't going to put all of our IP up on the net.... But should you aquire yourself the correct airline tickets, then we would be more than happy to let you see what goes on!

And an EUC tour of our funky little piece of the world too...   ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

We aren't going to put all of our IP up on the net.... But should you aquire yourself the correct airline tickets, then we would be more than happy to let you see what goes on!

And an EUC tour of our funky little piece of the world too...   ;)

I fully understand and thanks for the offer. Visiting your country is definitely on my bucket list.

My old Airwheel had the fake carbon fiber and it was very cheezy. Every scratch revealed it was a print. 

The matt black surface on my 1 1/2 year old 16S still looks new because the scratches hide way better than the gloss surface.

And Please! Be a more cutting edge and offer side panels in COLORS. Or some cool as STICK-ON designs just like the promo video shows so it can be personalized. 

3222157C-236F-4081-90CD-B669E94A9B49.png

5FFC868B-33A8-4BCA-B2DD-1C3A08DAB3F8.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, prasket said:

From the photo's I have seen on Reddit and here it looks like KingSong went with the least voted option from us all here. :)

`Carbon-fiber with dark gray side panels`

First batch should be carbon-black and black side pads, optional maybe dark grey sidepads in future. 

A poll here is one place KS might get design wishes. They might get strong input from other channels and from domestic market. 

16 minutes ago, prasket said:

Well I hope they come out with other options, I will probably not get a faux carbon-fiber EUC.

I think it is interesting how strong people express opinions about looks...

Yet totally disregarding behaviour or feel or performance of the wheel (which we have limited info on right now due changes). 

In this aspect I refer to both debates of KS16X and Nikola. 

And serious who would be able to spot any details if you are rushing about in 30-50kph.... :ph34r:

End of the day I am pretty sure someone else will enjoy the adventures to come on the KS16X you choose not to buy only due to a texture... 😏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I think it is interesting how strong people express opinions about looks...

Yet totally disregarding behaviour or feel or performance of the wheel (which we have limited info on right now due changes). 

In this aspect I refer to both debates of KS16X and Nikola. 

And serious who would be able to spot any details if you are rushing about in 30-50kph.... :ph34r:

End of the day I am pretty sure someone else will enjoy the adventures to come on the KS16X you choose not to buy only due to a texture... 😏

Has nothing to do with what others see of my wheel but what I want to see on my wheel, and faux carbon fiber isn't it.

Do not see how that is disregarding the behavior/feel/performance of a machine. From reading I can tell the KS16x is going to be a fine machine, just might not be the machine that gets me away from my V8.

Yep at the end of the day I am sure someone else will enjoy many adventures on a faux carbon fiber KS16x if that does end up how they look in the end.

Well I must be one of the 'select few' who actually likes faux carbon! I think the Z looks awesome with it, and it hides marks better than a flat colour IMO. There are of course many different faux carbon finishes - some are horrendous (cheap) and some are very nice indeed (expensive).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, Wizzzjeff said:

My old Airwheel had the fake carbon fiber and it was very cheezy. Every scratch revealed it was a print. 

The matt black surface on my 1 1/2 year old 16S still looks new because the scratches hide way better than the gloss surface.

And Please! Be a more cutting edge and offer side panels in COLORS. Or some cool as STICK-ON designs just like the promo video shows so it can be personalized. 

3222157C-236F-4081-90CD-B669E94A9B49.png

5FFC868B-33A8-4BCA-B2DD-1C3A08DAB3F8.jpeg

Looks like King Song do have some stick-on options to customize the KS16X.

Got to see these today:

275231538_KingSong16Xdecals.thumb.png.2534b97e57a00d76d055c6e3f7cfd2c0.png

So you can see how it looks:

1842996461_KingSong16Xstickers.jpg.c58d544e8933f8e554fd89e754949562.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1