When do you gear up Casual vs Full Gear?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Besides protecting my head, the most useful feature of my helmet is the helmet mirror. I have continuous situational awareness of what's approaching me from behind. I don't have to look down at a wrist mounted mirror (which is still better than nothing) or raise my wrist mounted mirror so that it looks like I'm waving at someone.

I can always see if people driving behind me are giving me a wide berth, and modify my trajectory as necessary. And sometimes I'll ride in the lane and carve so that I indeed am consuming the entire lane. But again, I'm looking in my mirror and if I get the sense that a car may not be honoring my position, I'll scoot over to the side.

So skip the primary helmet-for-safety argument, and get a helmet so that you know what's happening around you.

This is my favorite mirror right now. It has a slightly convex mirror that offers exceptional visibility.

Amazon Link

61MMcWTLBfL._SL1186_.jpg

Thanks for the link Marty. I just ordered one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

For your commutes, I wonder if it might be a good idea to wear what Chooch does - the high visibility yellow safety vest. I'm not much for the look, but I think if I commuted a lot like you do, I would probably wear it during the commute.

I need to post video of my light vest.  I scare people when it's really dark..alien coming!!!

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Smoother said:

I've driven past hundreds of cyclists but I never use the status of their head gear to determine how close I pass them.  I give them a reasonable safe gap as required by law, and if there is no room to pass (blind bends/narrow roads) I'll wait until it's safe to pass, also as prescribed by law. I don't know what the common mentality is in St.Louis or wherever you're reporting from, but It sounds f.ing crazy. I prescribe more drive-by-shootings to reduce the number of free-range-rude.

I'm surprised reading your words...

I've experienced something very similar today on the way to local park...!

It's obvious you'll notice I'm inexperienced just by watching my riding...

While going on pedestrian way, I've noticed a cyclist at my left, setting off and going towards me...

I didn't look at him, but I was aware he might approach...

I were carry on...

Then at some point he passed me at my left?!

Quietly ...

Actually it was scary, cause I were occupied all the path due to unskilled riding!

So he must kept riding at my back, and waiting for the gap to pass?!

Well...

That's not the end...

Once he passed, he kept slowing ..?!

I didn't say a word, cause I've noticed he tries to play funny game with me, and make me start arguing?

I didn't want to let him piss me off, so I kept behind ...

He started changing the gears, so his speed decreased to the walking speed, I didn't pass him, just been watching his game?

He noticed I'm not shouting at him, nor taking him over...

He looked at my over his shoulder with wide smile, and was riding like this until the park's entrance gate...

Tell me - what's the point to do so?

What was it for?

Totally confused!

Anyway I was pleased on way back the same path, as I were approaching to group of young guys...

Wasn't sure whether they give me a way or opposite...

I did carry on, they gently moved to one side letting me go...

That was kind off good experience to finish the day.

PS:. I used to jogging, I still do sometimes,but not frequently any more.

Believe me or not, at the very same situations, when approaching young pedestrians on my way, at fewer cases they didn't move for me, but they did kind off blocking my way...

I was carry on straight on my jogging direction, and whole situation was ending up with me bumping the nearest youth by my body off my way, what was causing them calling me by beautiful pure English poems :)

Such rude behaviour it's making me mad...

The other day, some guy cut me up at the front!

He saw me jogging towards him, just when I were about to pass him by, he suddenly made a turn at a front of me!? Causing me hitting him with my body!

I just couldn't predict it!? Could I ?

I went past, ignoring him, he didn't even say a word...

Why people behaving as such?!

I'm aware of those weird things, therefore I'm careful when approaching pedestrians on my way...

They doing that for purpose, without respect, just to have fun sometimes...

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

My former riding partner? I am not sure who that might be.

Sorry, I guess I meant @Scatcat . Sorry about that.  It's hard to keep track of all these sub threads.

Welcome @NylahTay  So you've been commuting on the sidewalk (10 trips per week) with an average of a couple of pedestrians for about 2 years now, and you haven't died yet.  I guess sidewalks aren't as dangerous as some people think ;) 

From S1 to XL.  That's a massive leap, your either going to be stoked or scared Sh..less.  Probably both fir a few minutes, at least.:D

Sorry, I guess I meant @Scatcat . Sorry about that.  It's hard to keep track of all these sub threads.

Welcome @NylahTay  So you've been commuting on the sidewalk (10 trips per week) with an average of a couple of pedestrians for about 2 years now, and you haven't died yet.  I guess sidewalks aren't as dangerous as some people think ;) 

From S1 to XL.  That's a massive leap, your either going to be stoked or scared Sh..less.  Probably both fir a few minutes, at least.:D

From S1 to XL.  That's a massive leap, your either going to be stoked or scared Sh..less.  Probably both for a few minutes, at least.:D

From S1 to XL.  That's a massive leap, your either going to be stoked or scared Sh..less.  Probably both for a few minutes, at least.:D

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I'm surprised reading your words...

I've experienced something very similar today on the way to local park...!

It's obvious you'll notice I'm inexperienced just by watching my riding...

While going on pedestrian way, I've noticed a cyclist at my left, setting off and going towards me...

I didn't look at him, but I was aware he might approach...

I were carry on...

Then at some point he passed me at my left?!

Quietly ...

Actually it was scary, cause I were occupied all the path due to unskilled riding!

So he must kept riding at my back, and waiting for the gap to pass?!

Well...

That's not the end...

Once he passed, he kept slowing ..?!

I didn't say a word, cause I've noticed he tries to play funny game with me, and make me start arguing?

I didn't want to let him piss me off, so I kept behind ...

He started changing the gears, so his speed decreased to the walking speed, I didn't pass him, just been watching his game?

He noticed I'm not shouting at him, nor taking him over...

He looked at my over his shoulder with wide smile, and was riding like this until the park's entrance gate...

Tell me - what's the point to do so?

What was it for?

Totally confused!

Anyway I was pleased on way back the same path, as I were approaching to group of young guys...

Wasn't sure whether they give me a way or opposite...

I did carry on, they gently moved to one side letting me go...

That was kind off good experience to finish the day.

PS:. I used to jogging, I still do sometimes,but not frequently any more.

Believe me or not, at the very same situations, when approaching young pedestrians on my way, at fewer cases they didn't move for me, but they did kind off blocking my way...

I was carry on straight on my jogging direction, and whole situation was ending up with me bumping the nearest youth by my body off my way, what was causing them calling me by beautiful pure English poems :)

Such rude behaviour it's making me mad...

The other day, some guy cut me up at the front!

He saw me jogging towards him, just when I were about to pass him by, he suddenly made a turn at a front of me!? Causing me hitting him with my body!

I just couldn't predict it!? Could I ?

I went past, ignoring him, he didn't even say a word...

Why people behaving as such?!

I'm aware of those weird things, therefore I'm careful when approaching pedestrians on my way...

They doing that for purpose, without respect, just to have fun sometimes...

You live in a town full of A..holes, obviously. In over two years of wheeling I remember only one malicious act ( some twat in a car, threw an empty plastic water bottle, casually in my general direction).  Occasional a honk from a driver.  Some people honk, which makes you jump, but just when I thought they were all being assholes I glared at a couple who had just honked (maybe I deployed a finger, it's hard to remember;)) but to my horror, they looked very excited to see the wheel and the honk was probably their way of getting my attention to say they liked what they saw.  I was a bit embarrassed. Maybe you should carry a stick too!

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NylahTay said:

Wow, what an interesting study. I will say that when I see someone on a bicycle with a helmet and full cycling gear, I tend to think of them as professionals that know what they are doing. Whereas if I see someone with jeans, tshirt, and helmet, my mind jumps to think it's just a casual rider. So I can see people being more careless around the 'pro' rather than the 'casual' person. 

I wonder if that would translate with us putting full gear on. I've never worn a helmet while riding my EUC, but that is partially due to only riding on sidewalks since I can only go about 12mph. I've owned a Ninebot One S1 for the past 2 years. Now that I've ordered a KS18XL, I've been following this thread a bit more closely. I was looking at motocycle mesh jackets since summer in Missouri USA is hot and humid and airflow is important. But If I were to put on full protective gear, would that make people more careless? Interesting thought! 

I use my EUC for my daily commute, which has sidewalks all the way, with few (maybe 1-2) pedestrians. The city has been doing better with adding more bicycle lanes, and there are normally sidewalks everywhere. So maybe I'll just stick to getting a helmet when my KS18XL comes in.

That is how I think as well. I see it as a person with no helmet and a T-shirt riding around has no business being on the road so I am much more aware of their actions. On the other hand, a cyclist with neon green and GORE bike wear apparel branded everywhere is a pro and I give them barely any awareness because I believe they are adept enough to handle themselves without me being cautious in my car. 

As for protective gear, no one to my knowledge has studied if protective gear makes a difference like wearing a helmet does. So that’s up in the air. I do know that I wear body armor underneath my clothing so no one knows I’m wearing armor, but that’s only to look normal for curious pedestrians- to shelter them from the harsh reality of EUC riding dangers. 

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
14 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You live in a town full of A..holes, obviously. In over two years of wheeling I remember only one malicious act ( some twat in a car, threw an empty plastic water bottle, casually in my general direction).  Occasional a honk from a driver.  Some people honk, which makes you jump, but just when I thought they were all being assholes I glared at a couple who had just honked (maybe I deployed a finger, it's hard to remember;)) but to my horror, they looked very excited to see me and the honk was probably their way of getting my attention to say they liked what they saw.  I was a bit embarrassed. Maybe you should carry a stick too!

I'm not too certain regarding the stick (I wish I had a gun instead :) ), but after today's ride I've ordered the helmet mirror!

Now I know I need to be fully aware,what's going on behind my back dear friend.

Such idiot games don't make me angry,but sorry for them instead...

I'm working as a bus driver since 1997, I got used to stupidity around...

It's never ending unfortunately.

Once received,I'm mounting the mirror asap.

PS;. Regarding your tale of embarassing... :)

I used to have a dog, some time,usually kids, but adults too, were shouting towards me walking the dog - SICK DOG! SICK DOG!

Obviously I read it opposite :)

Not knowing that saying, I took it for negative :)

So the calling was making me confused...

What's wrong with my dog - I thought :)

I felt embarassed when I've found out the correct meaning, lol  :)

Thank you.

Edited by PogArt Artur

28 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I wear body armor underneath my clothing so no one knows I’m wearing armor, but that’s only to look normal for curious pedestrians- to shelter them from the harsh reality of EUC riding dangers. 

Want to hook them in before they realize the dangers huh?!? :efee612b4b::roflmao:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I am so excited about this! No idea what to expect going from the S1 to the XL. Thought about posting a thread asking for tips in the KS forum. I've backordered it from ewheels, so hopefully sometime in the next week or so. I've been waiting for the past 6+ months saving in my budget for this. My S1 gets maybe 5 miles due to the battery depreciation over the years so 30-50 miles will be amazing for me!

2 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

😅😅hopefully by the time they realize the true dangers they’ve gotten the EUC bug and are hooked 

Yeah. My favorite line riding the S1 has always been: "It maxes out at 12mph, which is the same speed as the average runner. so falling is nothing" 
Don't think I'll be able to say that anymore riding the XL. haha

• Like 2

@NylahTay I never tested a Ninebot S1.

But I am pretty sure that after 1 hour ride, you will not look back from you KD18L/XL.

It doesn't really matter as either version a moon leap away from those Ninebot S series. 

Welcome to the KS family 😄 

I upgraded from an Inmotion V8 or Glide3 (us name). That wasn't a bad wheel, but the KS18L is just a totally different level of ride. 

And yes I crashed both wheels. Got hurt too, I can only recommend that you a fair bit before amping up speed. The reaction distance and breaking distance go up fast the more speed you have. 

I  am but a rookie still at my 2000ish total EUC km. Ride safe amd carefully out there. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/28/2019 at 8:03 AM, kasenutty said:

I wear a skateboard helmet sometimes and that's all. I don't like arguing about gear, so I don't talk about it on here much. If I'm going fast and far I wear a helmet. If I'm checking the mail I might not even have shoes on :D 

:shock2:  mmm, l wear a bicycle helmet, jacket, dickies work-pants & leather boots for kicking-in car door panels, nuts & kneecaps ...expensive e-scooters are still a novelty in NZ & it's open-season with no bag-limit ...l've got the only Dualtron 3 :wub: in the country.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Besides protecting my head, the most useful feature of my helmet is the helmet mirror. I have continuous situational awareness of what's approaching me from behind. I don't have to look down at a wrist mounted mirror (which is still better than nothing) or raise my wrist mounted mirror so that it looks like I'm waving at someone.

I can always see if people driving behind me are giving me a wide berth, and modify my trajectory as necessary. And sometimes I'll ride in the lane and carve so that I indeed am consuming the entire lane. But again, I'm looking in my mirror and if I get the sense that a car may not be honoring my position, I'll scoot over to the side.

So skip the primary helmet-for-safety argument, and get a helmet so that you know what's happening around you.

This is my favorite mirror right now. It has a slightly convex mirror that offers exceptional visibility.

Amazon Link

61MMcWTLBfL._SL1186_.jpg

I have one just like that Marty. Unfortunately drivers are idiots in my neck of the woods so I don't ride in traffic enough to use it.

• Like 1

@Darrell Wesh, @Smoother: thanks for the responses regarding the Flexmeter wristguards and gloves under/over.  I understand the purpose of the skids, which is to help in dissipation of kinetic energy by preventing a sudden stop or pivot/twist.  I guess I assumed that even without the skids the wristguards still provide wrist protection and a degree of "slidiness" (:unsure:), but it's relevant to understand that the intent of allowing these to be worn under gloves may be primarily for winter sports vs. fun on asphalt.  I'll keep that in mind.

@Smoother, thanks for the welcome, and you asked what wheel I'm waiting for: KS18XL, waiting for the eWheels shipment that just pulled into port and is awaiting customs clearance.  As we all know this is the quintessential beat-it-up learner wheel...JK! I know, not the recommended learning progression, but I don't want to start with a beater or end up with multiple wheels in my garage, and I've told myself I won't become discouraged by the increased difficulty of learning with such a large and heavy wheel.  Eventually I'll get it, surely, and meanwhile I do have a roll.nz EUC BodyGuard to wrap the wheel in...the poor thing doesn't know how much tumbling, skipping, wobbling fun I have in store for it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, svenomous said:

the poor thing doesn't know how much tumbling, skipping, wobbling fun I have in store for it.

Go to your local dollar store and buy a dog leash, cut the metal latch off and to size ( just enough to keep your wheel upright when it kicks you off), use it to keep your wheel from hitting the pavement until you get the hang of riding it, then just simply throw it away. It worked for my son and I.

7 minutes ago, Dave U said:

Go to your local dollar store and buy a dog leash, cut the metal latch off and to size ( just enough to keep your wheel upright when it kicks you off), use it to keep your wheel from hitting the pavement until you get the hang of riding it, then just simply throw it away. It worked for my son and I.

Dave, thanks for the advice.  Just so you know, I've read threads, watched oh so many videos, and pretty much mapped out my self-training curriculum.  Nothing else to do right now but live vicariously off YouTube and these forums!  I have an old nylon cargo strap that I've already cut the buckle and hook off of, and which is in the pile of "EUC stuff" waiting to be used for training purposes.  When I finally have a wheel I'll find out what my experience is vis a vis the Great Training Strap Controversy!  I know (intellectually) not to hold on to it or try to use it for balance while on the thing, and will try to rein in the visceral temptation to grab on for dear life.  I don't want to derail this thread further, though, and will surely start a new topic (or pile on to the great sticky thread about learning to ride) with my experiences and progression.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smoother said:

Well, I have a few former riding partners, that guy is not one of them. But he is a friend of a current occasional EUC riding partner.

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Well, I have a few former riding partners, that guy is not one of them. But he is a friend of a current occasional EUC riding partner.

Yeah, that's what I said.:D

6 hours ago, svenomous said:

I have an old nylon cargo strap that I've already cut the buckle and hook off of, and which is in the pile of "EUC stuff" waiting to be used for training purposes.

I'm not sure a leash is a good idea on a big heavy wheel.  Here's why:

A major benefit of a leash is the ability to pick the wheel off the ground when you jump off.  As soon as you get the wheel off the ground it can't move in any direction; killing any potential run away, damage or injury.  Yes there are a lot of times when I was able to use my leash to merely keep the wheel upright after a dismount, but my starter wheel weighs less than half of an 18XL.  Sometimes when I got the leash wrong, the wheel would lean to one side and or be pulled forward or backwards by the leash, causing it to accelerate quickly and often spin too.  A lean and acceleration, all while partially suspended from a leash, is a recipe for a spinning wheel form hell; inches from your ankles and shins.  If you want to destroy these parts of your legs, this is a good way to do it. (ankle/shin injuries are very common amongst beginners because they frequently step/jump/fall off an out of control wheel very close to the wheel, allowing the pedals to attack the legs as the wheel dodges and ducks to the unusual gyro inputs caused by the learner rider and his awkward dismount.  Once you get good, you rarely dismount awkwardly and the ankle biting goes away)

Put the power and weight of a large wheel on the end of a leash in the hands of someone inexperienced and there are going to be some painful ankle/shin injuries.  Because you have no chance of lifting this wheel off the ground with one had, seconds after an awkward dismount (or even both hands, if you can get your other hand on the leash in time).  

@svenomous try this before you go out and ride with a leash: On a soft surface (grass,etc) attach your leash but leave the pedals folded up.  Now guide the wheel around with the leash; forwards, backwards, lean it over to one side, while moving forward, to simulate a clumsy dismount.  Don't use your hands, only the leash.  See what you discover.  Does it change direction violently? can you raise it off the ground in an instant with one hand, or two? 

Your leash could be loosely looped around the handle, or ideally tightly anchored to the middle (where it gives no lean input when pulled straight up) , but the motor disconnect button is in the middle so you might end up having this pressed all the time by the tight leash.  It should not activate, but if you ride real slow, near zero, it might: with you still on top.  Or the leash might hamper your use of the button when you need it.

EDIT: And if you do manage to raise it off the ground the chance of it spinning up to full speed are high.  When this happens you cannot put it down again(all 50lbs of it on a string) until the motor shuts off and coasts down to zero, which usually takes 5 to 10  seconds.  If you don't manage to keep this huge weight off the ground during the whole spin cycle, it will take off like a bat out of hell in what ever direction it is pointing at the time.  If your legs are in the way, you're screwed. Even on my lightweight KS14c 340Wh I occasionally failed to keep it off the ground for the entire spin cycle.  I remember a few times it positively jumped at me like a rabid dog; getting several feet in the air.  I may even have sustained some leash related injuries, but it's all a blur now.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

@svenomous try this before you go out and ride with a leash: On a soft surface (grass,etc) attach your leash but leave the pedals folded up.  Now guide the wheel around with the leash; forwards, backwards, lean it over to one side, while moving forward, to simulate a clumsy dismount.  Don't use your hands, only the leash.  See what you discover.  Does it change direction violently? can you raise it off the ground in an instant with one hand, or two? 

Here at the electric unicycle forum, we like to leash train our wheels... :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, svenomous said:

KS18XL, waiting for the eWheels shipment that just pulled into port and is awaiting customs clearance

@svenomous congrats on purchasing your first wheel! I'm waiting on that very same shipment. :) Took me an hour just to learn to go 1-2 meters my first day.