When do you gear up Casual vs Full Gear?

4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I love them. I will wear them before I wear a helmet. I refer to my earlier oxymoron: "reactionary proactivity." within the context of wrist guards it's very simple; I have fallen on an EUC and broken my wrist because I landed on it I happened to wearing motorcycle gloves during this incident. I walked away with scrape-free fingers though.

Starting wearing wristguards. I Faceplanted again with them on. This time I walked away with an abraded finger and healthy wrists. 

I now swear by wristguards. 

Shortcomings: 

You are absolutely correct though when you say that your fingers are still at risk of scrapes; it's an imperfect protection; though, I consider the much lesser of two evils. A fully gloved variety would be nice, or at least gloves with sliders on the bottom instead of the top of my knuckles like all of my many pairs of motorcycle gloves. Since it is very difficult to wear many varieties over gloves; when I try it the straps don't fit, gloved guards would be a nice improvement to better protect the whole hand. 

I'm with you. The one piece of gear that I now wear all the time, regardless of the type or duration of ride, is the wrist guard. On my last big fall (where I broke my shoulder), nothing happened to my wrists or hands. I did get two dime size road rash injures that took a few weeks to heal.

I started wearing modified leather workout gloves under my wrist guards. They cover the palm and 2/3rds of my fingers. I cut away the the backs of the gloves so that they don't add bulk under my wrist guards. The net affect is that the combination is comfortable. I mostly wear the leather addition when on my bigger rides.

IMG_20190406_094333549_HDRIMG_20190406_094337748_HDRIMG_20190406_094433598_HDRIMG_20190406_094439983_HDR

The leather gloves fully cover all parts of my palm and fingers that got scraped up during my last fall.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm with you. The one piece of gear that I now wear all the time, regardless of the type or duration of ride, is the wrist guard. On my last big fall (where I broke my shoulder), nothing happened to my wrists or hands. I did get two dime size road rash injures that took a few weeks to heal.

I started wearing modified leather workout gloves under my wrist guards. They cover the palm and 2/3rds of my fingers. I cut away the the backs of the gloves so that they don't add bulk under my wrist guards. The net affect is that the combination is comfortable. I mostly wear the leather addition when on my bigger rides.

IMG_20190406_094333549_HDRIMG_20190406_094337748_HDRIMG_20190406_094433598_HDRIMG_20190406_094439983_HDR

The leather gloves fully cover all parts of my palm and fingers that got scraped up during my last fall.

Ingenious. I'm copying that. :thumbup:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yeah, but @Marty Backe why are all the finger tips missing?  I can see how smart phone or camera use might be aided by one index finger, but not all 10.  You've cut away a lot of the protection. 

I can see some modifications that I might make, but the basic idea is great; it provides that extra protection to eliminate some of the cutting that happens when fp'ng.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yeah, but @Marty Backe why are all the finger tips missing?  I can see how smart phone or camera use might be aided by one index finger, but not all 10.  You've cut away a lot of the protection. 

These are modified workout gloves (you know, for the gym). These types of gloves don't cover the ends of the fingers. In the few instances where I've suffered road rash on the hands, I have not gotten any damage near the ends of my fingers. And having your fingers exposed just feels better for gripping things, etc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I can see some modifications that I might make, but the basic idea is great; it provides that extra protection to eliminate some of the cutting that happens when fp'ng.

If you ever do it, show your modifications - I'm always open to new ways of doing things :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Well motorcycle gloves have come a long way from the conventional notion of just a thick leather glove. Knox has the patented scaphoid protection system on their gloves that will resemble sliding on wrist guards and also has plastic protection from impact like a wrist guard while still offering full leather coverage. 

Other quality motorcycle gloves have palm sliders infused with Poron xrd impact protection to give you wrist guard like protection and slide without restriction. 

Wrist guards have been around for decades. You really think technology hasn’t improved enough to replicate that protection or even improve it without the mobility restriction? Have faith, it’s a matter of knowing what to buy nowadays and knowing the technology we now have.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-orsa-leather-mk2-gloves

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-adventure-long-gloves?rrec=true

More mobility is a concern for me when I am riding motorcycles. I am a Busa boy. I Don't own a pair of motorcycle gloves that don't have knuckle sliders and reinforced palms. Over the years, I have worn a variety of brands when riding. I have survived two motorcycle accidents; one of them a hit and run.

I like the support offered by wrist guards when I ride eucs, and find them quite comfortable, and far less expensive than the $130 Knox gloves.

Those are great gloves and they have made a lot of wonderful improvements: flexibility, protection, mobile touch, palm sliders that look like they might not interfere with my throttle action and feel, etc., that I would find very attractive if I was buying them to ride the type of bikes I like to ride. Like the gloves; a lot.

However, I Would only wear them for EUC-riding if I already had them in my motorcycle glove collection. Too much money for dedicated EUC-riding when I can get very effective protection for much less. Thinking about another bike soon. So, I'll keep those Knox joants in mind. 

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you ever do it, show your modifications - I'm always open to new ways of doing things :)

Your mod is great. I wouldn't do much other than maybe go full-finger on your original idea.

I have a pair of Isotoner-style gloves that come to mind. I have tried wearing the guards over the entire glove unit with questionable success; the strap around the palm doesn't reach when I attempt to wear the gloves and the guards together. 

I am thinking that I would just locate all the tension points on the glove that restrict the reach of the palm strap and cut them out to make the guard fit more easily. My goal would be to cut as little of the glove away as possible; so that I can still use them for some level of warmth in cooler weather. I have six different pairs of guards; all of them have the same issue if I wear them with gloves. You've given me the idea to DIY a full-fingered EUC glove that I can wear with all of my guards. 

• Like 1

I've been using a pair of thin fox mtb gloves under my guards. Not a ton of protection but should help with road rash. Fingers are still fairly nimble, works on phone screens well. I can still swipe for texting/emails.

Not totally sold on the glove but the best I've found that works with wrist guards. 

20190222_085606.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lutalo said:

Your mod is great. I wouldn't do much other than maybe go full-finger on your original idea.

I have a pair of Isotoner-style gloves that come to mind. I have tried wearing the guards over the entire glove unit with questionable success; the strap around the palm doesn't reach when I attempt to wear the gloves and the guards together. 

I am thinking that I would just locate all the tension points on the glove that restrict the reach of the palm strap and cut them out to make the guard fit more easily. My goal would be to cut as little of the glove away as possible; so that I can still use them for some level of warmth in cooler weather. I have six different pairs of guards; all of them have the same issue if I wear them with gloves. You've given me the idea to DIY a full-fingered EUC glove that I can wear with all of my guards. 

Sounds like a plan. I'd still like to see whatever you ultimately do. Keep in mind that you want the gloves to be leather because I'm not sure how other materials would hold up to the hands-sliding-on-pavement action :unsure:

Before I removed the majority of the back and wrist sections of the glove, they were too bulky and uncomfortable. With all the parts cut away they barely stay on the hand. But once the wrist guards go on top, everything stays in place yet there's barely any interaction between the gloves and the guards.

Obviously you'll figure out what works once you get to cutting.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sounds like a plan. I'd still like to see whatever you ultimately do. Keep in mind that you want the gloves to be leather because I'm not sure how other materials would hold up to the hands-sliding-on-pavement action :unsure:

Before I removed the majority of the back and wrist sections of the glove, they were too bulky and uncomfortable. With all the parts cut away they barely stay on the hand. But once the wrist guards go on top, everything stays in place yet there's barely any interaction between the gloves and the guards.

Obviously you'll figure out what works once you get to cutting.

I see from the photos that you have removed most of the areas from your gloves that I would think need moving, but I would need to pull out my winter glove collection and locate the form-fitted leathers which I think would work best with the picture developing in my head; might even buy a ladies pair to get that closer fitted look over the fingers. I will explore more to see what I already have and might need. I will take photos of my final project and post them. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I've been using a pair of thin fox mtb gloves under my guards. Not a ton of protection but should help with road rash. Fingers are still fairly nimble, works on phone screens well. I can still swipe for texting/emails.

Not totally sold on the glove but the best I've found that works with wrist guards. 

20190222_085606.jpg

Ive been using thin POC gloves under mine, but unfortunately the fingertips wore out from constant snow sweeping off the pedals during the winter. I dont know what i was thinking! I loved those gloves, and i cant find another paiiir! But yeah, they're mainly Just to keep my hands from getting shredded. The wristguards are so important to me. 

Personally for me, as an illustrator, im okay with bloodied fingers, but a broken wrist is a no no, so i'll do anything in my power to reduce the risk of that. I kinda wish i could wear bulkier gloves under the wrist guards @Darrell Wesh but for now, the slightly reenforced POC gloves are doing their part and the Flexmeters do the rest. But i do think it always comes back to what we value. Like, i havent had a fall that forced me to use these guards yet. But ive geared up in anticipation for it to protect my passion/job, haha. I think if i was a football (soccer) player, my lower half would look like a hockey goalie :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is a great idea! I was actually having trouble with my gloves because the velcro part is kinda old and warped, so when i slide it under my flexmeters, it comes off or shifts, and that harrrrrrrrrrd velcro stabs into the back of my hand for the entire day. Maybe a little snip snip will save the day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tessa25 said:

I'm lucky. I can wear Fownes leather gloves for women. No velcro or clasps. Just leather with minimal seams. Fits great under Flexmeters.

How are they in warmer weather? Wait..is leather ever breathable? Haha. Unless your hands just never sweat, in which that case, win win!

3 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

20190222_085606.jpg

I like those, but I am thinking of a slim form fitted style with leather construction. I might chop up a pair of my old mesh gloves for summer wear. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seage said:

How are they in warmer weather? Wait..is leather ever breathable? Haha. Unless your hands just never sweat, in which that case, win win!

I won't wear them in warmer weather.

Looks like they make them for men.

gloves

Edited by tessa25
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, seage said:

They do make perforated leather gloves that are better for warmer weather. I am thinking that it is not worth it to try and protect my fingers from scrapes in summer heat; assuming my biggest worry is scraping, it's a low risk injury, and therefore worthy sacrifice given the infrequent nature of falling. 

Something about summer weather makes me feel less risk averse; probably because I am so heat averse (DC summer heat and humidity) that dissipation is a greater priority than ultimate protection. 

My gear escalation scale tends to alter a bit in the summer of it is an extremely hot day 😰😰😰. In DC, I am my best me in the Spring and Fall. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

I'm lucky. I can wear Fownes leather gloves for women. No velcro or clasps. Just leather with minimal seams. Fits great under Flexmeters.

Right. That's similar to what I was thinking. A ladies leather to get a more Slim fit on the fingers and enable me to deform the glove a bit less, or maybe not at all to modify it for wristguard use.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Right. That's similar to what I was thinking. A ladies leather to get a more Slim fit on the fingers and enable me to deform the glove a bit less, or maybe not at all to modify it for wristguard use.

In case you missed the link to mens Fownes:

mens gloves

When I get the womens gloves they are extremely tight until they break in. I don't think you would be able to put the womens version on. I suppose the mens are extremely tight when first put on as well. They are not supposed to be loose initially.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

mens gloves

When I get the womens gloves they are extremely tight until they break in. I don't think you would be able to put the womens version on. I suppose the mens are extremely tight when first put on as well. They are not supposed to be loose initially.

Cool. I will check it out. I was planning on doing some experimenting anyway.

8 hours ago, tessa25 said:

mens gloves

Those are cool. I scanned Amazon a bit and found these gloves for winter that sort fit the image I am visualizing; of course I will look around at my local thrift store for this cut if I am going to be removing portions of The glove. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LVW84MQ/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1#&vs=1

And these for summer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MTZ1F55/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Those are cool. I scanned Amazon a bit and found these gloves for winter that sort fit the image I am visualizing; of course I will look around at my local thrift store for this cut if I am going to be removing portions of The glove. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LVW84MQ/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1#&vs=1

And these for summer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MTZ1F55/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

I wonder how this leather will hold up compared to the tough leather found on gym gloves. Just a though, that these dress leathers might only provide the protection equivalent of denim (not much).  I'm not any kind of leather expert; maybe soft, supple leathers are just as abrasion resistant as stiffer, coarser leather?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I wonder how this leather will hold up compared to the tough leather found on gym gloves. Just a though, that these dress leathers might only provide the protection equivalent of denim (not much).  I'm not any kind of leather expert; maybe soft, supple leathers are just as abrasion resistant as stiffer, coarser leather?

At EUC speed and EUC style accidents, ANY glove material will reduce abrasion to the fingers by 90% and most will reduce it by 100%.  I would say if you find a comfortable pair that fits under your wrist guards ( with or without modifications) then buy them.  From my own experience (and someone else recently) after abrasion and cuts, the next big issue is stinging and numbness in the fingertips caused by a serious slap effect from the fingers after the wrist guards touch down.  After my biggest face plant my left pinkie stung and was also numb for about 20 minutes. It was quite unpleasant. Of course it went away, as stated, but any glove material that can reduce or eliminate that feeling is a plus.  

Sometimes this winter A have squeezed some lined, soft leather gardening gloves under my flexmeters, but it was a tight squeeze.  But these gloves are too nice to cut up to fit.  So mostly I just leave them in the car.

• Like 1