I just ordered a KS 18xl

kasenutty

Guest PogArt Artur
On 2/25/2019 at 5:38 PM, kasenutty said:

And I am excited, but I didn't have anyone to tell who would know what I was talking about, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello and brag about my new present for Spring/Summer 2019. 

How are all my pals doing? 

:D 

Sorry @kasenutty, I've just found your great news out!

Congratulations!!!

It must be amazing feeling to get KS 18XL !

What else can I say other than - ENJOY !!!

On 4/1/2019 at 9:04 PM, Smoother said:

:roflmao:

I had my first powered paraglider shipped to a friends house too.  I had to get the timing just right before I could tell "she who must be obeyed".  She made me get life insurance, complete with a medical check up, before I got airborne.:D

EDIT Sadly for her, she was not able to claim on that policy

Was?

10 hours ago, Joker10 said:

I put about 1200 miles on my 16s dropped it many times but the handle never had a problem.  The handle seemed really robust.  16s seemed very robust in general.  To me the handle on the 18l is probably close to the same strenght as the 16 but the wheel is heavier and the handle has multiple positions and can be set higher than the 16s so it moves around more.  In my opinion kingsong has the best trolley handle design out there.  Well they have the best euc design.

There are 2 handles. The old ones and the new ones. The old ones led to fun incidents like my friends wheel flying down the stairs of his apartment and knocking on a neighbors door. And then there are new ones made the same as the XL that are metal and reinforced. So im guessing you have that. What color is your trolly, if i may ask?

15 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

Mine is a silver color on the 18l.  I think the new ones are black.

The stems has been made in 3 versions. First 2 versions were silver, last best improved version is black. If you have a silver version you can buy the v3 stems and change them. 

My trolley got stuck (v1) so I had to change them. Really not that hard a job.  Only due they were stuck it was a little fiddling back and forth. 

Only thing you need to be careful of, is to mount the liftsensor with the right tension. Not too much or too little, and calibrate it afterwards.

• Like 2

Interesting, I knew there were 2 but didn’t know about the third.  Mine is working good right now so I am happy with it.  If it gets stuck or something I will replace it.  I heard a little about different versions having different speakers.  If this is true, how can I tell which type of speakers I have?   They sound better than my kingsong 16s, but  I was riding into a serious headwind today and couldn’t hear a thing.  

I asked because i saw a picture of the KS16 with the black trolly. Those ones have the newer metal handle which is WAY better than my flimsy plastic garbo. 

Heres some pictures from my break. The whole of the 16 IS robust, but then look at this handle! Im glad they fixed it because how in the hell was this flimsy plastic supposed to take the weight of that wheel? Lol. 

52803686_2375763275984942_5086038544653221888_n.jpg

53293148_1965036080473030_5238218650518814720_n.jpg

52898441_290840471611348_8328579389587456000_n.jpg

52047702_397102894389172_8632948118238789632_n.jpg

55 minutes ago, seage said:

In better news, my 18XL just arrived! Going to pick it up in a few hourssss! Yeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! 

Im finally in the big boy/girl club! 

Congratulations! :thumbup: Your pumped! ! Shoot a video of your speedometer while driving to the pick up location. 

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, seage said:

In better news, my 18XL just arrived! Going to pick it up in a few hourssss! Yeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! 

Congratulations !!!

Woooow :)

41 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Congratulations! :thumbup: Your pumped! ! Shoot a video of your speedometer while driving to the pick up location. 

I'll do a FPV of me hijacking a train since it can get there faster. Trains can be all terrain vehicles too, right?

36 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Congratulations !!!

Woooow :)

Thank you, my friend, haha. 

2 hours ago, seage said:

Enjoy! ;)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, seage said:

I'll do a FPV of me hijacking a train since it can get there faster. Trains can be all terrain vehicles too, right?

46652332005_312f7f4746_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, seage said:

Unboxing review plz!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olav said:

Enjoy! ;)

I shallll! So excited!

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

46652332005_312f7f4746_b.jpg

LOL! This actually made me laugh out loud! 

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Unboxing review plz!

Ooo, i wasnt thinking about doing one, but maybe i will. Could be fun, haha. 

• Like 1

Just a question for you educated folk. In the app, (The new app i guess) what should the wheel say? I know it comes up as KS-18L, but what should i see beside that? 

6 hours ago, seage said:

Just a question for you educated folk. In the app, (The new app i guess) what should the wheel say? I know it comes up as KS-18L, but what should i see beside that? 

Something like this...

King Song App

Why... What do you see?   :blink1:

11 minutes ago, seage said:

Haha, well mine doesnt have a name. Its like KS-18L-CSFKSDFSKFJ. I wanna name ittt! Lol. 

I just wasnt sure if the numbers beside it would be different (When syncing the wheel). To show that its the XL and not the L. But i weighed it and rode today, and its for sure the XL. 

Just did 35km on this baby, then came home and went straight to bed. It was so smooth. I understand what you all mean, it WANTS to stay up. It eats up road imperfections. One thing i found at first was that i was kinda bouncing on what looked like smooth ground. Turned out it wasnt smooth ground, and my wheel was showing me that as it came pre-pumped to diamond piercing levels. Once I let out some air I was able to cruise smoothly. I get it now, @Marty Backe. When you told me that on the 16s, 30kmph is fast, but on the 18 it seems slow. Cruising at 30 comfortably and responsibly was easy. I could worry less about dying from a pebble and pay attention to bigger dangers like gaping crevased and canadian geese attacks (real thing, they're crazy). One thing i found was that because of its form factor, riding in 60kmph constant wind gusts actually gave me wobble as it just blew the wheel to the side, but the wheel would go back up and then i would begin to wobble and have to slow right down. Hoping to try riding not in the middle of a hurricane as its hard to map my actual skill level when fighting against zeus' breath. But it seems that type of weather isnt allowed here in Ontario at the moment. 

BTW, usually on the bottom of one of the pedals will be printed the battery capacity of the wheel. And maybe in one of the app screens (firmware) it'll show XL. Don't have my wheel handy to check.

Welcome to the speed club :cheers:  Even if you don't ride super fast, it's nice not to be speed limited like the 16S. I'll be looking for a For Sale ad from you in the Private Sales section. Probably in a few weeks ;)

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, seage said:

Heres some pictures from my break. The whole of the 16 IS robust, but then look at this handle! Im glad they fixed it because how in the hell was this flimsy plastic supposed to take the weight of that wheel? Lol. 

The MSuper's handle is designed to be unmanageable while trolleying, but it evens out by being extremely fragile.

In my opinion the KS16S should almost always be in the closed and locked position, even while leaned up against a wall. At any time you need to lift the wheel to get over say a curb, it should be carefully locked and double checked, and it should never ever be lifted by the open handle. I treat the KS16S as a closed wheel, with the bonus of being trolleyed only in areas where a wheelchair can be safely moved.

I don't like this trend of placing trolleys inside the wheel, and the Inmotion V5 and V10 external trolley are superior in every way except for the rear light occlusion.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, usually on the bottom of one of the pedals will be printed the battery capacity of the wheel. And maybe in one of the app screens (firmware) it'll show XL. Don't have my wheel handy to check.

Welcome to the speed club :cheers:  Even if you don't ride super fast, it's nice not to be speed limited like the 16S. I'll be looking for a For Sale ad from you in the Private Sales section. Probably in a few weeks ;)

Ah yeah, it was on the bottom of the pedal, but the delivery was a bit of a crapshoot so i was worried everything was wrong. But the wheel itself came in proper condition and everything is good! And thank youuu! Im glad to be here, haha. I do enjoy that if i need the speed, its there, and i wont be violently tilted back like my final dedicated ride on the 16s on sunday. Oh man, my soul slipped out of my throat and was making its way towards heaven. Oh, and the wheel has already been claimed! My brother took it, so I went on that 35k ride with him XD. Teaching him some road safety stuff since he didnt cycle before jumping into this. Also, my dad said he wants to try, haha. Finalllly! 

Oh, i did have a question for you, Marty. I remember in your range test of the KS-18XL you did the exact ride as your msx and you slowed it right down at the end, due to watching wheellog, only to open the KS app later and find you had more battery than you thought. What happened with that? Which was accurate, and was it fixed with the latest firmware? I did a lil ride around the block and even on the 16s it wouldnt have been 90% battery. I noticed it earlier in the day too, that my battery seemed lower than it would be on the 16s, which obviously wouldnt make any sense. 

dca6ef9a-f91b-454b-9f0d-19b691c59f65.jpg

b7649149-8d7d-4406-aab2-cae8089eea3a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

In my opinion the KS16S should almost always be in the closed and locked position, even while leaned up against a wall. At any time you need to lift the wheel to get over say a curb, it should be carefully locked and double checked, and it should never ever be lifted by the open handle.

I think i only leaned it with the handle extended once? But past that it was closed. It WAS locked, thats how it broke at the top. The trolly itself was good. Its the plastic connecting the handle to the locked trolly that broke. After it broke, the trolly was still locked and secure inside the wheel, haha. 

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I don't like this trend of placing trolleys inside the wheel, and the Inmotion V5 and V10 external trolley are superior in every way except for the rear light occlusion.

Personally i like KS's trolly far more than the inmotion. I may be biased though. The look of it and the feel its just..ew..... But that cut off BUTTON under the handle and how there is a dedicated handle to pick it up which stays sturdy and never loses integrity, is much more comforting to the soul, haha. 

51 minutes ago, seage said:

Ah yeah, it was on the bottom of the pedal, but the delivery was a bit of a crapshoot so i was worried everything was wrong. But the wheel itself came in proper condition and everything is good! And thank youuu! Im glad to be here, haha. I do enjoy that if i need the speed, its there, and i wont be violently tilted back like my final dedicated ride on the 16s on sunday. Oh man, my soul slipped out of my throat and was making its way towards heaven. Oh, and the wheel has already been claimed! My brother took it, so I went on that 35k ride with him XD. Teaching him some road safety stuff since he didnt cycle before jumping into this. Also, my dad said he wants to try, haha. Finalllly! 

Oh, i did have a question for you, Marty. I remember in your range test of the KS-18XL you did the exact ride as your msx and you slowed it right down at the end, due to watching wheellog, only to open the KS app later and find you had more battery than you thought. What happened with that? Which was accurate, and was it fixed with the latest firmware? I did a lil ride around the block and even on the 16s it wouldnt have been 90% battery. I noticed it earlier in the day too, that my battery seemed lower than it would be on the 16s, which obviously wouldnt make any sense. 

Don't trust WheelLog battery levels when used with the XL. It's horribly off. The KS app is gold. I did another formal range and confirmed in my mind that it gets ~10% better range than the MSX. I did over 60-miles with a few percent battery remaining.

A little commentary here

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seage said:

Personally i like KS's trolly far more than the inmotion. I may be biased though. The look of it and the feel its just..ew

You can place nearly entire weight (all 200 pounds) on the external Inmotion trolleys, and use them as a moving cane. I've never heard of a damaged Inmotion trolley but I suspect that a sideways impact might sheer the four small screws drilled into the handle, but on the other hand the external trolley covers a large portion of the wheel where impacts would hit anyway.

I do think they look ugly because they break up the round form factor.

An interesting thing about external trolleys is that they can be removed to encourage learning. You can help a new rider  mount onto a wheel while riding your own wheel, then strand them half a mile away in the middle of a parking lot, so now they have to learn because they can't trolley a wheel back.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Don't trust WheelLog battery levels when used with the XL. It's horribly off. The KS app is gold. I did another formal range and confirmed in my mind that it gets ~10% better range than the MSX. I did over 60-miles with a few percent battery remaining.

Thanks for the reassurance, marty! I appreciate it. Because yeah, it really seemed off. And it was pretty bang on with the 16. What did they do to this wheel? Im also having endless problems connecting it to the app, where as, again, i had almost none with the 16s. Yeesh. Thankfully the wheel itself is like a dream. A dream i cant handle yet, lol. And actually i was on page 3 of that post, but i was reading it before I got the wheel. Going back through it now that things make more sense. 

• Like 1